Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iowa st defense

Started by jpsand, October 28, 2017, 05:55:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jpsand

They just stopped tcu with an interception and held them to one score.  Why can't we field a defense like that?

Hogtimes

TCU never scored on their defense, they scores  against special teams on a kickoff.

#1Fan

What?  Matt Campbell didn't need five years to get his players in place?  I thought that was how it's supposed to work.  That's what we've been told, anyway.

DeltaBoy

Ames Iowa where Big 12 Dreams come to die!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RebelliousHog

I was thinking while watching the end of that game "How can Ames Iowa recruit those kind of athletes? Or are they coaching them up?"  They really play hard.

To be honest TCU shot themselves in the foot.  Hill had a scheisse of a game.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Atlhogfan1

ISU D was very prepared for TCU.  Impressive. TCU overrated IMO but still great prep and D against them. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

cjack

Iowa State has a long tradition of 4* and 5* recruits.  They have a local talent pool that we just don't have. Iowa is a much bigger draw to kids coming out of high school. Iowa high school football is just at a level we can't expect to have at Arkansas.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: cjack on October 28, 2017, 10:29:00 pm
Iowa State has a long tradition of 4* and 5* recruits.  They have a local talent pool that we just don't have. Iowa is a much bigger draw to kids coming out of high school. Iowa high school football is just at a level we can't expect to have at Arkansas.

Lol. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 28, 2017, 08:46:15 pm
ISU D was very prepared for TCU.  Impressive. TCU overrated IMO but still great prep and D against them. 
But But they only get 2 and 3 star players at Iowa State.they should be as bad as the hogs defense.talent does count. but you better have great coaching if you can't get a lot of 4 and 5 stars.and the hogs do not have great coaching.

Phil D

I live in Iowa and that statement is BS
GO HOGS!!!!!!

EastTNHog

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Phil D on October 29, 2017, 01:22:51 am

It was also a joke.... ;)
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: jpsand on October 28, 2017, 05:55:45 pm
They just stopped tcu with an interception and held them to one score.  Why can't we field a defense like that?

Iowa St has the horses
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HenduHog on October 28, 2017, 08:41:35 pm
I was thinking while watching the end of that game "How can Ames Iowa recruit those kind of athletes? Or are they coaching them up?"  They really play hard.

IMO most of that goes directly to the coaching. Yes, they have some talent; however, not nearly as much when comparing many of their opponents. Nope, it's primarily Campbell and his staff who deserve the credit.

forrest city joe

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 29, 2017, 10:35:19 am
Iowa St has the horses
Arkansas out recruits Iowa State every year. look it up.and it's not even close.talent is the number one thing. but at schools like Arkansas and Iowa State,you better have great coaching. and Arkansas does not have it.looks like Iowa State does.

longpig

Quote from: HenduHog on October 28, 2017, 08:41:35 pm

And they're a little zippy team.  The little zippy teams always start breaking down late season. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

007 License To Squeal

You forgot to add the /sarcasm off tag.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 28, 2017, 08:46:15 pm
I wouldn't mind if Arkansas were labeled overrated if we were 7-1..

cjack

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 29, 2017, 03:37:32 pm
You forgot to add the /sarcasm off tag.

I assumed it was obvious on this post
Woooo Pig Soooie!

hawginbigd1

Campbell and ISU deserve a lot of credit, but this game was lost by the Trill and Cumbie. If TCU had ever just committed to the run they would have been able to grind out a 2 or 3 score win, but they committed a lot of penalties and Hill had a typical Hill game, make a bunch of good plays mixed in with a lot of inaccurate balls and some bonehead plays, and ISU capitalized enough. ISU had about 3 to 4 solid offensive possessions all game. I thought it would be a close game but ISU's offense is really not good enough to beat Tcu, I believe Tcu wins 9 out of 10 against them even with Hill at QB. Every game we have played against him he has kept us in the game and also made some plays against us.

IronHog

Quote from: jpsand on October 28, 2017, 05:55:45 pm

Hog defense did more than enough to beat not that good TCU

THE OFFENSE did zilch but setup FGs that were missed
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Phil D on October 29, 2017, 01:22:51 am

I guess they don't have sarcasm in Iowa, eh?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hoghevn

Iowa St's coach - Matt Campbell is VERY good.  Iowa St beat OU AT OU.  He was Toledo's coach when they beat us.  I would LOVE to get him here to replace BB.  His speech to his players after the game was incredible!!!!  Great coach!!
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

greasy_corner

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 29, 2017, 07:44:21 pm
I guess they don't have sarcasm in Iowa, eh?

He got it...just used this opportunity to brag a bit on living the dream in IA. 

kodiakisland

Quote from: greasy_corner on October 29, 2017, 08:59:18 pm
He got it...just used this opportunity to brag a bit on living the dream in IA.

Maybe. Their interstate rest stops are top notch.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HogPharmer

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 29, 2017, 09:56:32 pm
Maybe. Their interstate rest stops are top notch.

And they get to vote before us...
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

fademe

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 29, 2017, 10:35:19 am
Iowa St has the horses

The man largely responsible for those horses being at ISU is currently the DC at Arkansas. Paul Rhoads brought in some solid talent. Just couldn't ever quite get over the hump there.

jgphillips3

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 29, 2017, 04:11:17 pm
I wouldn't mind if Arkansas were labeled overrated if we were 7-1..

You mean like 2010 & 2011, at least in the eyes of Petrino haters.  I mean, in 2011, we lost only to the top two teams in the Country who each had once in a generation, historic quality defenses but we are told over and over again how terrible that team that finished top 5 was because we were just the third best team in the Country.