Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Win or lose, the Lady Razorbacks are fun to watch this year.

Started by logic, January 21, 2018, 05:02:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

logic

It helps that the girls seem to be having fun; I believe they like playing for Coach Neighbors. And, other than bring the basketball up the court, I never know what Monk is going to do, but she is exciting to watch.

Basketball fan

Fun ain't gonna cut it in sec.....defense is horrible..we only let them score 60 and 67 on us last year

ladybackfan

Just wish she would use the backboard instead of always trying that underhand layup.  Excellent player other than that though.

Dr. Starcs

nichc85

Hey they play hard and continue to compete every possession. I like watching them play. Go Lady Hogs!

logic

Quote from: Basketball fan on January 21, 2018, 05:30:24 pm
Fun ain't gonna cut it in sec.....defense is horrible..we only let them score 60 and 67 on us last year
It's fun because they are doing better than expect and because I know Coach Neighbors is recruiting and signing more talented players. When the game is out of reach, I forget about the score and watch my favorite players.

3kgthog

Completely different systems being run by a small team. Come back in two years. You'll be happy with MN.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 21, 2018, 10:16:38 pm
Completely different systems being run by a small team. Come back in two years. You'll be happy with MN.

sorry, but he wont.  His issue is who is coach now, or rather who is not.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA  Clockwork. 

You know what isn't going to cut it? Being the laughing stock of the league for hiring a commentator whose players can't stand playing for him and leave the program in droves.

Basketball fan

Just sayin..fun ain't gonna cut it in sec......doesn't matter who is coaching...one of toughest leagues in womens basketball....they need to play better defense..that's it

brs_hogfan

Quote from: logic on January 21, 2018, 09:23:57 pm
It's fun because they are doing better than expect and because I know Coach Neighbors is recruiting and signing more talented players. When the game is out of reach, I forget about the score and watch my favorite players.

I agree -- and that is what I do also.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Basketball fan on January 22, 2018, 11:32:33 am
Just sayin..fun ain't gonna cut it in sec......doesn't matter who is coaching...one of toughest leagues in womens basketball....they need to play better defense..that's it

But that's not just it. You keep referencing last year's games (when it suits your purposes), as if they have any bearing on this year's games. That has "agenda" written all over it.

LadybackBBFan

Just sayin..fun ain't gonna cut it in sec......doesn't matter who is coaching...one of toughest leagues in womens basketball....they need to play better defense..that's it. 
Let's really look at the whole picture instead of how many points we are giving up.  First off, I believe everyone on this web site who is positive about this year's team agrees that we have less talent this year.  We lost by graduation our leading scorer for I believe all four of her years here.  She also was our second tallest player at 6'3".  We also lost our senior center who was 6' 4".  We have replaced them with two players that our former coach signed who are both averaging less than 5 minutes a game and less than a point per game.  In addition our new coach was able to sign a freshman 6' post player who is playing valuable minutes and a 5' 7" guard who is playing valuable minutes.  However, neither are scoring that much - certainly not near what our departed players were averaging - in fact about 10 points/game less.  Therefore, we might expect that our team scoring would be down.  However, we averaged 56.9 points last year and 57.6 points the year before.  This year we are averaging 65.1 per game.  WOW - our opponents only averaged 64.4 points per game last year so you should be excited.  Our coach has said many times, we are in a process of installing a new system.  We want to go fast - we want to shoot a lot of three's and score.  He knows that he does not have all the pieces that will make that work.  We need great shooters which we do not have.  We need taller post players.  We need all players with speed.  The coach could have played to his current players strength which would have lowered our opponents scoring by slowing the game up and playing the shot clock every possession which is what we have done for the last 10 years (yes, we did that under the previous two coaches - incidentally Tom Collen's team gave up a lot less points than JD's ever hoped to give up).  When you go fast, don't hit your shots, and be outrebounded by taller teams, you are going to give up a lot of points.  That is what happened against Mississippi State and Missouri where we gave up 111 and 88 points.  Without those two games, we are averaging 66.6 points/game and giving up 72.8 points/game in the SEC.  Considering where this team is at and where we are going to be at, I think that is fantastic. KEEP THE FAITH - MN WILL GET IT DONE!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 22, 2018, 02:39:20 pm
Just sayin..fun ain't gonna cut it in sec......doesn't matter who is coaching...one of toughest leagues in womens basketball....they need to play better defense..that's it. 
Let's really look at the whole picture instead of how many points we are giving up.  First off, I believe everyone on this web site who is positive about this year's team agrees that we have less talent this year.  We lost by graduation our leading scorer for I believe all four of her years here.  She also was our second tallest player at 6'3".  We also lost our senior center who was 6' 4".  We have replaced them with two players that our former coach signed who are both averaging less than 5 minutes a game and less than a point per game.  In addition our new coach was able to sign a freshman 6' post player who is playing valuable minutes and a 5' 7" guard who is playing valuable minutes.  However, neither are scoring that much - certainly not near what our departed players were averaging - in fact about 10 points/game less.  Therefore, we might expect that our team scoring would be down.  However, we averaged 56.9 points last year and 57.6 points the year before.  This year we are averaging 65.1 per game.  WOW - our opponents only averaged 64.4 points per game last year so you should be excited.  Our coach has said many times, we are in a process of installing a new system.  We want to go fast - we want to shoot a lot of three's and score.  He knows that he does not have all the pieces that will make that work.  We need great shooters which we do not have.  We need taller post players.  We need all players with speed.  The coach could have played to his current players strength which would have lowered our opponents scoring by slowing the game up and playing the shot clock every possession which is what we have done for the last 10 years (yes, we did that under the previous two coaches - incidentally Tom Collen's team gave up a lot less points than JD's ever hoped to give up).  When you go fast, don't hit your shots, and be outrebounded by taller teams, you are going to give up a lot of points.  That is what happened against Mississippi State and Missouri where we gave up 111 and 88 points.  Without those two games, we are averaging 66.6 points/game and giving up 72.8 points/game in the SEC.  Considering where this team is at and where we are going to be at, I think that is fantastic. KEEP THE FAITH - MN WILL GET IT DONE!

plus one as usual.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Basketball fan

Hasn't proven anything yet...time will tell...right now he seems to be more of a rah rah kind of guy..they still stink at playing defense

MoHog74

SEC regular season not quite halfway over and the team has already equaled last year's SEC wins total. This year has already been a success IMO.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Basketball fan on January 22, 2018, 06:50:46 pm
right now he seems to be more of a rah rah kind of guy..

Well, not every coach can come up with program defining sayings like "Be Arkansas!!!!!"

flippinhogmana

Hasn't proven anything yet...time will tell...right now he seems to be more of a rah rah kind of guy..they still stink at playing defense
Right now we are ninth in the conference standing.  By looking at the other team's schedules immediately above us, ours and the teams below us, I don't see us finishing any lower than our current position.  We might finish as high as seventh (realistically).  That's a whole lot better than we finished last year.  If we did that, or anything close to that, would it prove anything to you?

hog63

Anyone that looks at this program now and can't see it is in better shape with MN's in the short 10 months he has been here is not looking at the same program I am. He is bringing this team back from the edge of a complete disaster and is building it the right way. Are we having an immediate turn around, of course not but he is laying the foundation. He has two transfers sitting on the bench right now that at least one is better than anyone we have now and the other is really good. He has a big committed and I am sure the 2019's will have a big's emphasis.

Give the guy a break it's coming

jim683

I would like to see you guard someone in the low post outweighing you and with a 3-6" height advantage,  not a lot you could do about it.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: jim683 on January 23, 2018, 03:07:51 pm
I would like to see you guard someone in the low post outweighing you and with a 3-6" height advantage,  not a lot you could do about it.

Take em to the other end and out quick them!  Make them try to guard you.

jim683

I agree that is how they have won many of their games.

pigture perfect

Mike Neighbors will build this program with a good foundation. I'm believing that we will competitive in this league soon.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"