Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Rock Game

Started by woodrow hog call, November 22, 2017, 09:34:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 10:13:49 am
The world needs ditch diggers too.....

It don't take anyone to farm or log anymore 😐
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: ur on November 23, 2017, 08:49:42 am
No, I understand we need teams that don't require a return home game. My question, that hasn't been answered is, do Memphis, Houston, UCF play games for a million bucks without requiring a return home game? I just want to make the cupcakes a little harder to eat and more enjoyable to watch. And I don't care what bama or other teams do.
You mean like Toledo?  They won 10 games that year.  I get where you are going though.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 11:22:45 am

It don't take anyone to farm or log anymore 😐

My youngest says he wants to farm, I told him the old joke, "Quickest way to become a millionaire farming, is to start with 2" .

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 07:55:16 am

Just poiting out why UAF has an increasingly 3rd tier program with no national exposure

2 counties that THINK the world revolves around them can't support a SEC football program

As I said.

I wonder if there is this debate among Florida, Alabama, A&M, Auburn, LSU or Georgia fans? Does Florida make certain that they play an off campus game in Miami every year? Do any of those programs insure that they play an in-state off campus game every year? A&M plays us in Dallas every year, but they don't schedule an annual game in San Antonio. Does Georgia play in Macon or Savannah each year? Does LSU schedule a game in Shreveport or Monroe every year?

I'm not against keeping a game in LR each year but Arkansas fans who have to travel across the state to watch a game in Fayetteville aren't really in any different position than fans of most college football programs.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 08:24:57 am

They got all the $$$ and suppressed other colleges politically.

So in 2017 the state still lacks things like dentistry, vet schools etc but precious NWA gets its very own minimedical school to suck even more resources out of the other 73 counties.

They have not done a damn thing to suppress other colleges politically. IF you believe that then I'm sure you can provide definitive proof. They do NOT get ALL the money. I guess you blame something besides GROWTH up there for the new Children's hospital there as well, or the Naturals, or the interstate, etc. Your blame is misplaced more than my wife loses her keys! What makes you think any small population state has to have degrees in ALL disciplines. I used to go to a dentist in NLR and I didn't give a damn where he went to school either instate or out of state or what city. Same for a vet or my Doctor.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 08:53:49 am
We paid CC $1.5m, NMSU around $1.3m, I don't know what it would cost for those others. One of Long's biggest problems was scheduling home games, he apparently couldn't or wouldn't think more than two years out. You read all the time about StateU you scheduling Local Tech for 2025-2028 all the time.

A Local Tech? I bet Greene County Tech will be ecstactic to get a $1,000,000 paycheck to play a few miles down the road!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 23, 2017, 08:35:16 am
I hope so, or somebody hittin the clear early..............

Early and always............................

Inhogswetrust

November 23, 2017, 12:02:40 pm #107 Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:18:02 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 09:59:37 am

The school with the most students was where 95% of the population couldn't get to it....

Just flat stupid and a major reason Ark is Ark

Then explain to us WHY the state legislature over 100 years ago passed legislation to fund putting a college in every corner of the state. Also ask yourself WHY even though EVERY corner of the state has a public college that economically those other areas hasn't grown as much and some even declined and the percentage of people living there with degrees is not very high. The problem with education in Arkansas is not colleges and their funding, it is about the education and funding long before the students ever get to college age.

Inhogswetrust

November 23, 2017, 12:03:37 pm #108 Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:56:06 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 09:59:37 am

The school with the most students was where 95% of the population couldn't get to it....

Just flat stupid and a major reason Ark is Ark

Ironic it became the largest IF 95% couldn't get to it. Then WHY did it then and still does have the most students.................

Heck my grandmother and her sister took trains and such all the way from Camden to Clarksville to attend Ozarks.

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 11:28:09 am
My youngest says he wants to farm, I told him the old joke, "Quickest way to become a millionaire farming, is to start with 2" .

Good Farmers live poor and die rich.

Not a joke.

Not playing the leverage game.  Work off the land 😒

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 12:03:37 pm
Then WHY did it then and still does have the most students.................

Really?

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 11:41:00 am
They have not done a damn thing to suppress other colleges politically. IF you believe that then I'm sure you can provide definitive proof. They do NOT get ALL the money. I guess you blame something besides GROWTH up there for the new Children's hospital there as well, or the Naturals, or the interstate, etc. Your blame is misplaced more than my wife loses her keys! What makes you think any small population state has to have degrees in ALL disciplines. I used to go to a dentist in NLR and I didn't give a damn where he went to school either instate or out of state or what city. Same for a vet or my Doctor.

Then why was a lawsuit required to get ASU and UCA out from under UAs thumb?

If the "flagship" was where grandpa coulda got there this would be a far different state......

hawgbawb

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 23, 2017, 08:50:02 am
Ricepig I am with you, well, sort of.  Rather than seeing tax dollars go to repair War Memorial Stadium, I would rather see tax dollars go to improve education throughout the state, but especially in Little Rock.  I don't think WMS needs an expansion, but just improve what is already there.  Raise the funds through corporate and private funding.  Encourage other colleges to play a game there once a year.  If Arkansas, Arkansas State, UAPB, Arkansas Tech, UCA, Henderson, Ouachita Baptist, Harding, UAM and SAU all played one game a year there in addition to other events like state championship games, maybe the old girl could still be relevant?
Not a bad idea.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Inhogswetrust

November 23, 2017, 12:58:31 pm #113 Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:15:38 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 12:36:14 pm

Then why was a lawsuit required to get ASU and UCA out from under UAs thumb?

If the "flagship" was where grandpa coulda got there this would be a far different state......

Which lawsuit and at what timeframe did that occur? I attended UCA at one time and never heard of anything like that. It was founded as the "teachers college in the state and my Grandmother attended it in the early 1900's. ASU was also funded separately and as far as I know was never a part of the UA system. It was hard for a lot of people all the way up until the 1950s to get ANYWHERE in the state. I also know a guy that played football for the Hogs that told me he took more than one train, changing a couple of places to go to Fayetteville from Jonesboro. Heck Rice might know who I'm talking about.

Heck I can probably name over 100 colleges that were VERY hard to get to from populated areas when they were first founded. That is nothing exclusive to Arkansas. At one time for a LOT of colleges in prototypical college towns it was difficult for anybody to get to. Maybe that was by design in some ways. A lot of schools were founded and begun classes long before good cars and good roads came about.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 12:58:31 pm
Which lawsuit and at what timeframe did that occur? It was hard for a lot of people all, the way up until the 1950s to get ANYWHERE in the state. I also know a guy that played football for the Hogs that told me he took more than one train, changing a couple of places to go to Fayetteville from Jonesboro. Heck Rice might know who I'm talking about.

My Mom grew up in Strawberry, she took a train to school in the 40's....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 01:01:02 pm

Do you know the guy I'm talking about that played for the Hogs a long time ago? He was a prominent person in Jonesboro and really nice guy. Hint.......... he had property, buildings and hotels. I think his son runs things now and the last tie I checked they still had a Hampton Inn located in Bartlett, TN.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 01:09:22 pm
Do you know the guy I'm talking about that played for the Hogs a long time ago? He was a prominent person in Jonesboro and really nice guy. Hint.......... he had property, buildings and hotels. I think his son runs things now and the last tie I checked they still had a Hampton Inn located in Bartlett, TN.

You'll have to pm me the name, doesn't ring a bell.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 11:31:49 am
As I said.

I wonder if there is this debate among Florida, Alabama, A&M, Auburn, LSU or Georgia fans? Does Florida make certain that they play an off campus game in Miami every year? Do any of those programs insure that they play an in-state off campus game every year? A&M plays us in Dallas every year, but they don't schedule an annual game in San Antonio. Does Georgia play in Macon or Savannah each year? Does LSU schedule a game in Shreveport or Monroe every year?

I'm not against keeping a game in LR each year but Arkansas fans who have to travel across the state to watch a game in Fayetteville aren't really in any different position than fans of most college football programs.

I don't think this a good comparison, as the schools mentioned are, for the most part, in states that have several major universities. For a high majority of Arkansans, Arkansas is the number one team in the state. So, no, Florida probably wouldn't want to play a game in Miami because of the University of Miami, A&M probably wouldn't want to play another game in Dallas because of local schools named TCU and SMU, or in San Antonio, because the University of Texas most likely has the regional fan base since it is only 80 miles from San Antonio, and the fact that the city is very transient, so it surely has many folks who are fans of several Texas universities and others, etc. You get the point. I believe playing a conference game at WMS each season -- or as I originally mentioned, Mizzou every other -- is beneficial to folks all over the state and shows that the U of A still cares about those who are not in the 10% of the state not named NWA.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 24, 2017, 11:27:21 am
I don't think this a good comparison, as the schools mentioned are, for the most part, in states that have several major universities. For a high majority of Arkansans, Arkansas is the number one team in the state. So, no, Florida probably wouldn't want to play a game in Miami because of the University of Miami, A&M probably wouldn't want to play another game in Dallas because of local schools named TCU and SMU, or in San Antonio, because the University of Texas most likely has the regional fan base since it is only 80 miles from San Antonio, and the fact that the city is very transient, so it surely has many folks who are fans of several Texas universities and others, etc. You get the point. I believe playing a conference game at WMS each season -- or as I originally mentioned, Mizzou every other -- is beneficial to folks all over the state and shows that the U of A still cares about those who are not in the 10% of the state not named NWA.

As Tuberville said, every situation is different.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 22, 2017, 11:29:48 am
I'm an NWA guy, but have traveled all over to see the Hogs play. Some of my fondest memories are games at WMS.  Over the last several years I have been proponent of playing all games in Fayetteville, on campus.  It has just been in the last few years that I have changed my way of thinking about this issue.  I am blessed enough to be able to travel to the games and I selfishly wanted the game 10 minutes from the house.  It's a perspective that I feel that a lot of us isolated here in NWA share.  That being said, the drama of the last few years has changed fans perspective.  Through things like message boards and other technology, the world is smaller.  But the reality is that a 6 hour car ride and a costly hotel on top of costly tickets not only make it difficult for many, it alienated them.  This is something that the new athletic administration is going to have to deal with head on.  My wish is that there will still be football at WMS. I also hope that the state and the university can work together to make WMS a more desirable place to play those games.  It is a shame that a facility, originally built to honor those that served is in such disrepair.   The stadium needs to be upgraded.  A way to make that happen needs to be found.  WMS is a part of Razorback Football and should always be.

One of the best posts I've seen on this subject and not surprised coming from someone with the ability to put personal bias aside and look at the situation from 30,000 feet.  Virtually everyone violently against even one game in Little Rock either have a personal interest in their position or no empathy with Arkansans who grew up with the Razorbacks as a unifying force.

There is really no way to put a price tag on the value of central Arkansas when it comes to the university.  That is not to say that southern Arkansas is not important, but the numbers are in metropolitan Little Rock.  That goes double where athletics are concerned because of the African American population residing there.

Reports of the death of high school football in central Arkansas have been greatly exaggerrated.  Three of four teams in the state 7A semifinals were from central Arkansas.  The Little Rock school district has work to do in all areas, including football.  A good region wide youth football program would make a huge difference there.  Interest in football at the youth level would be encouraged by a strong and positive Razorbacks presence.  If that presence disappears entirely, the risk is that the university breaks the chain of loyalty that the football team has helped to engender across generations for a century.  This is the issue leaders are dealing with at the moment.  If you have the experience to understand why this is true, you get it.  If you don't have that experience, you probably count the shekels and ask why those bassackwards Arkansans do what no one else does.

The word that I never see anyone use in the GSD is "ownership".  That's really what it's all about.  Fans take ownership of their favorite team.  They invest their time, money and emotion in it.  Fan loyalty, by and large, is based on location.  Think about that.  It's us against them.  Who are we?  We are ARKANSAS, and to a great extent, that is because the Razorbacks have played football where the most people are located for over a hundred years.  The fact that they happen to be located in the geographic center of the state is a bonus. 

urkillinmesmalls made the best comment I've ever seen on this subject.  You don't know what you've got til it's gone.  The ship hasn't sailed, but the horn has sounded. 

With that said, I will say my favorite solution suggested here is the Labor Day jamboree.  Arkansas State is a solid FBS program.  The game would ignite interest around the state.  I'd prefer MSU or Ole Miss every year, but the NEZ project makes selling out DWRRS at every opportunity top priority.  The Diamond Bowl makes too much sense.

TOM "tbw1"

I wonder why a state with limited resources and many services that need funding sees the need to fund two SEC quality stadiums.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

IronHog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on November 25, 2017, 09:56:18 am
I wonder why a state with limited resources and many services that need funding sees the need to fund two SEC quality stadiums.

Cause they put the campus in Mizzouri

Been a problem 150 years

bphi11ips

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on November 25, 2017, 09:56:18 am

It doesn't and it can't.  Razorback Stadium was not up to national or conference standards until it was renovated at the turn of the century. That's why WMS was built and why four games were played there for 50 years.

Times change. DWRRS is up to current standards and WMS is not. But at 54,000 it works for one game. When it's full and rocking it looks good on television. It is a tough place for a visitor to win.

Arkansas can't afford to bring WMS up to upper level SEC standards, especially where premium seating is concerned, but it doesn't need to host a game like Ole Miss or Arkansas State or a G5 opponent. The big picture is what's important.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 25, 2017, 11:51:30 am
It doesn't and it can't.  Razorback Stadium was not up to national or conference standards until it was renovated at the turn of the century. That's why WMS was built and why four games were played there for 50 years.

Times change. DWRRS is up to current standards and WMS is not. But at 54,000 it works for one game. When it's full and rocking it looks good on television. It is a tough place for a visitor to win.

Arkansas can't afford to bring WMS up to upper level SEC standards, especially where premium seating is concerned, but it doesn't need to host a game like Ole Miss or Arkansas State or a G5 opponent. The big picture is what's important.

I agree, it doesn't need to host an important game, let WMS have the cupcake game.

StuartDavin

Random question here..Does the SEC opponent have any say whatsoever in where the game is played? For Missouri, the distance to LR would obviously be a good bit further than the UA campus.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 25, 2017, 12:00:36 pm
I agree, it doesn't need to host an important game, let WMS have the cupcake game.

Defeats the purpose. I told you this before. Nothing has changed. Long's scheduling of Alcorn State and FAMU back-to-back was a finger in the air and was perceived as such. His PowerPoint was the last straw. That's why he's gone. The BOT gave him the NEZ project, so that wasn't it.

If you want to focus on maximizing revenue, you don't want an opponent that will sell 40,000 tickets for a single game with no marquee opponent to drag season tickets along with it.  DWRRS season ticket sales and premium seating are where the money is. An Alcorn State won't drag down a six-game package.  You'll have to entertain clients or the guys who buy your soy beans or whatever it is you sell for one bad game. Take your worst customers or give your kids the box. It's not worth firing up the King anyway. You'll have to sit in the open air with the plebs and GDIs for one game a year, but the Razorbacks need 100,000 plebians. They only need a few thousands patricians.

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

IronHog

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 25, 2017, 01:00:03 pm
You do understand there's a difference in "university" and "athletic dept", right???

Same thing

One doesn't exist without the other....

bphi11ips

Quote from: IronHog on November 25, 2017, 01:01:35 pm

Same thing

One doesn't exist without the other....

The school would have, but what if Hendrix had beaten Arkansas in 1926?  The largest crowd to witness an athletic event to that date watched the Razorbacks beat Hendrix in Little Rock 14-7. Hendrix dropped football when WWII started and didn't renew it when the war was over. What if Hendrix had seen football as the front porch of the university in 1945 the way UA did? 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 01:01:02 pm

Go Rangers!
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Ben

Let the hogs have more games to stink up in Fayetteville and give LR Trojans a football team to occupy WMS. Problem Solved
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

IronHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 25, 2017, 01:12:57 pm
The school would have, but what if Hendrix had beaten Arkansas in 1926?  The largest crowd to witness an athletic event to that date watched the Razorbacks beat Hendrix in Little Rock 14-7. Hendrix dropped football when WWII started and didn't renew it when the war was over. What if Hendrix had seen football as the front porch of the university in 1945 the way UA did? 

Not sure the fighting druggy premed rainbows woulda been much at the football....

steveaustin69

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 24, 2017, 11:27:21 am

LSU only show in town

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 25, 2017, 12:35:47 pm
Defeats the purpose. I told you this before. Nothing has changed. Long's scheduling of Alcorn State and FAMU back-to-back was a finger in the air and was perceived as such. His PowerPoint was the last straw. That's why he's gone. The BOT gave him the NEZ project, so that wasn't it.

If you want to focus on maximizing revenue, you don't want an opponent that will sell 40,000 tickets for a single game with no marquee opponent to drag season tickets along with it.  DWRRS season ticket sales and premium seating are where the money is. An Alcorn State won't drag down a six-game package.  You'll have to entertain clients or the guys who buy your soy beans or whatever it is you sell for one bad game. Take your worst customers or give your kids the box. It's not worth firing up the King anyway. You'll have to sit in the open air with the plebs and GDIs for one game a year, but the Razorbacks need 100,000 plebians. They only need a few thousands patricians.

So Long was fired because he wanted to move the games?? Funny Long said the Chancellor would make that recommendation to the Board, guess he's history, too... 6 games won't pay the bills, not with the buyouts they've saddled us with.

hassettsportsman

Say what you will about Hendrix...but 25% of doctors practicing in Arkansas today are Hendrix grads.

MTBrookHog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 22, 2017, 12:50:56 pm
With all due respect to the ASU fans here. We want the Hogs to go back to national prominence, that means not playing a yearly game against a lower tier team like ASU. There is nothing to gain for the Hogs by playing ASU. If they win no one will care because it is ASU, if they should somehow lose the chit would hit the fan.
But it's ok to play all the other Sunbelt teams. What did we gain from playing New Mexico State and Coastal Carolina?

ricepig

Quote from: MTBrookHog on November 27, 2017, 04:11:05 pm
But it's ok to play all the other Sunbelt teams. What did we gain from playing New Mexico State and Coastal Carolina?

Wins

Snouty

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 22, 2017, 11:09:44 am
Here's another thought: play one game in Little Rock every other year - Mizzou. It's a conference game, a "rivalry", and every few years it's a game that could, potentially, have some post-season implications riding on it. Also, it eliminates totally blocking out the 90% of the state not named Northwest Arkansas and the folks who have to travel 3-5 hours each weekend.

Conference games should be played on campus.  I'd be in favor of getting out of the contract to play A&M in Dallas every year and playing it in Fayetteville every other year.  The University of Missouri is hours closer to Fayetteville than Little Rock, so it seems silly to play the game every other year at WMS.  If Missouri wants to play the game in Kansas City or St. Louis in their "home" year, I'd be all for that.

root_hawg

Financially it's a bad decision to play State or anyone else in WMS

Shoat

IMO, Arkansas has a unique situation whereby the Hogs are truly the only statewide team in a small state with 3 million people.  Therefore, Hogs should play in Central AR.  I can understand the economics of playing games in LR vs Fay, but sometimes...sometimes...there are more important things than money. Frankly, JL was trying to stay with the pack in the arms race of facilities and look where that got us?!?!?

Inhogswetrust

November 27, 2017, 08:14:20 pm #140 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:41:16 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Shoat on November 27, 2017, 07:40:42 pm
IMO, Arkansas has a unique situation whereby the Hogs are truly the only statewide team in a small state with 3 million people.  Therefore, Hogs should play in Central AR.  I can understand the economics of playing games in LR vs Fay, but sometimes...sometimes...there are more important things than money. Frankly, JL was trying to stay with the pack in the arms race of facilities and look where that got us?!?!?

The smaller the population the lesser the need to play in two places. IF the facilities had not been improved on campus then we would have fallen back so far we might as well have been FCS.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Snouty on November 27, 2017, 07:06:46 pm
Conference games should be played on campus.  I'd be in favor of getting out of the contract to play A&M in Dallas every year and playing it in Fayetteville every other year.  The University of Missouri is hours closer to Fayetteville than Little Rock, so it seems silly to play the game every other year at WMS.  If Missouri wants to play the game in Kansas City or St. Louis in their "home" year, I'd be all for that.

Why should Arkansas care about the proximity of Mizzou to the site of the game? Also, what does Mizzou and a game in KC or STL have to do with this?

Hogtimes

Quote from: ur on November 22, 2017, 09:48:44 am
Astate in black uniforms on a sat night on espn sec alt channel. Put a perm fence around wms and move the ticket gates to the fence to relieve some of the congestion. sec Alt channel allows us to name the time. 7pm sounds good. Beats Florida am or nicholls state every year.

What does black uni's have to do with anything?

root_hawg

And you would lose more games and the coach would lose his job.  I would do the opposite, do like MA, schedule cupcakes get your win total up, hopefully win enough in conference to qualify for a bowl

jvanhorn

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 22, 2017, 12:09:04 pm
Ok 1 I am from NWA, 2 I think WMS is a dump from hell, so my opinion may be a little biased.

I think the new AD has to decide to either stop playing at WMS or to push for a renewal of the stadium.

Since the WMS are so important for a big part of the state I believe they should opt for option 2. How do you do it in a way that does not hurt recruiting and the program and at the same times provides WMS with a quality game?

Stop playing TAMU at the Cowboys stadium. Play one cupcake each year at WMS and the Tamu home game every other year,

I don't think you can play one "cupcake" each year at WMS and expect people to show up.  I am not saying you have to play Alabama there but teams like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, South Carolina would do and be of sufficient interest.

ricepig

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 27, 2017, 09:08:59 pm
I don't think you can play one "cupcake" each year at WMS and expect people to show up.  I am not saying you have to play Alabama there but teams like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, South Carolina would do and be of sufficient interest.

Sufficient interest?? Just play the games on campus where the students are and it's home.

jvanhorn

Quote from: ricepig on November 27, 2017, 03:27:24 pm
So Long was fired because he wanted to move the games?? Funny Long said the Chancellor would make that recommendation to the Board, guess he's history, too... 6 games won't pay the bills, not with the buyouts they've saddled us with.

Exactly right.  This has nothing to do with football, or any other sport really.  It is all about M O N E Y. and it has only gotten worse the richer the SEC has become.

jvanhorn

Quote from: ricepig on November 27, 2017, 09:11:03 pm
Sufficient interest?? Just play the games on campus where the students are and it's home.

I thought they played one game there a year where the students are actually gone for Thanksgiving or something.

longpig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 12:58:31 pm
Which lawsuit and at what timeframe did that occur? I attended UCA at one time and never heard of anything like that. It was founded as the "teachers college in the state and my Grandmother attended it in the early 1900's. ASU was also funded separately and as far as I know was never a part of the UA system. It was hard for a lot of people all the way up until the 1950s to get ANYWHERE in the state. I also know a guy that played football for the Hogs that told me he took more than one train, changing a couple of places to go to Fayetteville from Jonesboro. Heck Rice might know who I'm talking about.

Heck I can probably name over 100 colleges that were VERY hard to get to from populated areas when they were first founded. That is nothing exclusive to Arkansas. At one time for a LOT of colleges in prototypical college towns it was difficult for anybody to get to. Maybe that was by design in some ways. A lot of schools were founded and begun classes long before good cars and good roads came about.

Usually placed in a part of the state that didn't have much going on economically.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hotdog hog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 22, 2017, 12:50:56 pm
With all due respect to the ASU fans here. We want the Hogs to go back to national prominence, that means not playing a yearly game against a lower tier team like ASU. There is nothing to gain for the Hogs by playing ASU. If they win no one will care because it is ASU, if they should somehow lose the chit would hit the fan.
Thats totally wrong. Coastel Carolina no one cares about. There's no way in Heck you will go deer hunting, fishing, shopping, etc. the week we play AState. Look, we all talk about wanting a rival. No one seems to want to have a true rival with us but AState. If we are to play one of these games, I'm all about playing one that means something. NWA will drive to LR for this game. I promise you that