Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Will this be the fight of the century?

Started by razorbacker3, April 30, 2015, 10:24:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbacker3

I hope they don't disappoint. I see Mayweather winning a decision. Possibly a boring fight. Had this fight taken place 5 years ago, I might have picked Pacquiao. I would love to see Manny knock him out , but, nobody has ever come close to that and Manny hasn't the skills he had a few years ago.
What does Hogville think?

hvsupastar

Mayweather is too good.  Kind of like GSP was his last few years in UFC.  Too good to get a hand on, not risky enough to put himself in harms way.  He'll win about 3/4 of the rounds and get a decision. 
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Inhogswetrust

A century is a long time.................It's still early in the century............I doubt it is.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawganatic

Boxing has gotten so bad lately.  This is the first fight in a long time to generate any real interest.  Not sure if we will see this type of fight again any time soon.

Just hope they don't pull some kind of BS to set up a second fight...

Dr. Starcs

Amazing to me that mayweather has suffered virtually no repercussions from the boxing world for his woman-beating ways. Good thing he doesn't play for the cowboys or ravens. Smh

hawkhawg

I hope this fight begins a rebirth of boxing but I fear this may mark the end of boxing:  Boxing can't compete with UFC and boxing last two superstars come to the end of their careers. 

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

I quit caring when Hagler was Robbed in his last fight with Sugar "[CENSORED]" Leonard!
Let's make some waves.

razorbacker3

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on April 30, 2015, 12:29:52 pm
I quit caring when Hagler was Robbed in his last fight with Sugar "[CENSORED]" Leonard!

Boy was he ever!!!

Pig in the Pokey

I got a feeling ole "money" is gonna throw this one. You heard it here first.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Augustus

Quote from: hawganatic on April 30, 2015, 11:11:49 am
Boxing has gotten so bad lately.  This is the first fight in a long time to generate any real interest.  Not sure if we will see this type of fight again any time soon.

Just hope they don't pull some kind of BS to set up a second fight...

I think you nailed it.  Marcus Spears was on Finebaum show yesterday and said "this may be the best fight of all time, but it will at least be top 5..."

Really? Greatest fight of all time?!?! I think boxing has just gotten to a point where it's sucked so bad, this is the just first fight in a while that should be good.

But, I won't be watching it. Not for what they're charging for PPV.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Augustus on May 02, 2015, 06:50:10 pm
I think you nailed it.  Marcus Spears was on Finebaum show yesterday and said "this may be the best fight of all time, but it will at least be top 5..."

Really? Greatest fight of all time?!?! I think boxing has just gotten to a point where it's sucked so bad, this is the just first fight in a while that should be good.

But, I won't be watching it. Not for what they're charging for PPV.

Maybe top five most anticipated.  There will be fights in the next few weeks better than this one.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Fort Dweller

Cable/Satellite companies have asked for a delay.  They are still selling PPV and are having trouble keeping up with the demand.

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

hogville38

Holy crap I'm glad I didnt pay to watch this. This was way over rated boring fight!

MissippHog

Quote from: hogville38 on May 02, 2015, 11:58:01 pm
Holy crap I'm glad I didnt pay to watch this. This was way over rated boring fight!
I agree.  Seemed to me that Manny tried to take the fight to him but Floyd danced most of the night. 

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: hogville38 on May 02, 2015, 11:58:01 pm

Typical mayweather fight, the same reason why his fights are being are what makes him great. 

DOGALUM

Floyd has mastered the "art" of boxing.....and by that I mean avoiding and slipping in meaningless "punches".  He's not a fighter.  (unless his opponent is a woman)
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

FelixJonesorDMAC?

I think boxing just put the death nail in the coffin.  UFC is king and people now days want action and excitement. 

Dillar Dog

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on May 03, 2015, 12:24:05 am
I think boxing just put the death nail in the coffin.  UFC is king and people now days want action and excitement. 

Not sure if serious....

Hogsmo Kramer

Greatest fight of the century?

Not a chance, what a joke. Soooo glad I didn't pay for that crap.

I knew Mayweather would run, and run he did. Like another poster said he's not a fighter. He's figured out a way to win a judges decision without actually fighting or putting anything on the line by actually mixing it up.

Add to that he's a POS of a person and he embodies 100% what's wrong with boxing and why it's a dying sport. 
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

razorbacker3

yep, just as I suspected. Maybe not really boring, but not action packed at all.

hogville38

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on May 03, 2015, 12:19:44 am
Typical mayweather fight, the same reason why his fights are being are what makes him great.
180 mil? He could have boxed a little.

hogville38

Quote from: Dillar Dog on May 02, 2015, 07:08:22 pm
Maybe top five most anticipated.  There will be fights in the next few weeks better than this one.
Heck, the argument I had with my wife today was better than that.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: hogville38 on May 03, 2015, 01:35:04 am

Did she think this fight would be better Alvarez Kirkland?  Good that you argued it. She's obviously out of touch.

Hogfaniam

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogville38 on May 03, 2015, 01:35:04 am

How much was the PPV ?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Michelle Beadle @MichelleDBeadle  ·  7h 7 hours ago

From what I've read, looks like being banned was the best thing that happened to me today. Thanks, enablers! #IHadAGreatDinner

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: jbcarol on May 03, 2015, 07:15:14 am
Michelle Beadle @MichelleDBeadle  ·  7h 7 hours ago

From what I've read, looks like being banned was the best thing that happened to me today. Thanks, enablers! #IHadAGreatDinner

^^^Awesome^^^

That chick has balls.

ricepig

passinghog

A boxer's job isn't to entertain the fans, it's to win the match. It isnt Mayweather's fault Pacquaio isn't skilled enough to cut off the ring and actually land punches. He landed 81, Mayweather threw more and landed more, 148. Pacquaio was out-classed last night by the better boxer. Time for Pacquaio to hang them up

scootriteby

Quote from: Showtimehog on May 03, 2015, 11:06:08 am
A boxer's job isn't to entertain the fans, it's to win the match. It isnt Mayweather's fault Pacquaio isn't skilled enough to cut off the ring and actually land punches. He landed 81, Mayweather threw more and landed more, 148. Pacquaio was out-classed last night by the better boxer. Time for Pacquaio to hang them up

Agree...looks like too many people on here like to watch UFC where they knee, kick, and hump each other. Mayweather's last opponent Maidana was actually more entertaining than the washed up Pacquiao.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: scootriteby on May 03, 2015, 12:41:46 pm
Agree...looks like too many people on here like to watch UFC where they knee, kick, and hump each other. Mayweather's last opponent Maidana was actually more entertaining than the washed up Pacquiao.

It's ok to be a fan of both.

passinghog

Quote from: Dillar Dog on May 03, 2015, 01:37:19 pm
It's ok to be a fan of both.

If you're a fan of both, you should know they're no where near the same sport.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Showtimehog on May 03, 2015, 01:41:36 pm
If you're a fan of both, you should know they're no where near the same sport.

Did someone say they were?

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Showtimehog on May 03, 2015, 11:06:08 am

Mayweather's a point poosy plain and simple.

He doesn't fight he dances around the ring. He should stick to dancing with the stars, as long as he doesn't get pissed and beat his female dance partner like he beats his spouses.

usf15cc

Boxing is a sport i didn't know that. ::)
That being said it was a bad fight and wasn't worth all the money or the hype.

Poker_hog

I was disappointed manny didn't go all out for the knock out after about the 8th round.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Poker_hog on May 03, 2015, 07:29:33 pm
I was disappointed manny didn't go all out for the knock out after about the 8th round.

They are saying in the third round he re injured his right rotator cuff that he tore in March.  Now talking rematch.

Cure

Quote from: Poker_hog on May 03, 2015, 07:29:33 pm
How would he do that? He couldn't any openings and his sloppy footwork left him vulnerable to the straight right counter when he lunged in.

Quote from: Hogfaniam on May 03, 2015, 11:50:53 pm
They are saying in the third round he re injured his right rotator cuff that he tore in March.  Now talking rematch.
That's what happens when you swing and miss all those times. With that said, he stepped in the ring and thought he could connect early. There won't be a rematch, at least I'd hope not, Manny's done. Bring on Khan, though he'd be embarrassed too.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

chiefsfan001

Sure this has already been said (  I have not read everything posted )  This fight did one thing.  Put a nail in the coffin.  RIP boxing.   

Dillar Dog

Quote from: chiefsfan001 on May 04, 2015, 05:12:26 pm
Sure this has already been said (  I have not read everything posted )  This fight did one thing.  Put a nail in the coffin.  RIP boxing.   

Lol.  No.

JayBell

Everybody whining and complaining wasn't a boxing fan in the first place.  This is like everyone complaining about the Alabama/LSU games a few years ago.  There was a ton of NFL skill in those two games and there was Hall of Fame talent in ring Saturday night.

Mayweather is a defensive wizard.  You can b***h and moan that he's not a "fighter," but he's probably the best defensive boxer ever.  If you've ever - and I do mean ever - watched Bernard Hopkins fight, then you know that Mayweather didn't grab near as much as everyone is making it out to seem.

There's skill in Mayweather's dodging and turning and tucking and blocking.  He wasn't running.  Maybe a few years ago Pacquiao would have had the speed or strength to throw Mayweather off his game, but he never did Saturday.  It was a dominant match and I felt like I got my money's worth, but I actually like boxing and watch it regularly.  So what do I know.

scootriteby

Quote from: JayBell on May 05, 2015, 08:59:56 am
Everybody whining and complaining wasn't a boxing fan in the first place.  This is like everyone complaining about the Alabama/LSU games a few years ago.  There was a ton of NFL skill in those two games and there was Hall of Fame talent in ring Saturday night.

Mayweather is a defensive wizard.  You can b***h and moan that he's not a "fighter," but he's probably the best defensive boxer ever.  If you've ever - and I do mean ever - watched Bernard Hopkins fight, then you know that Mayweather didn't grab near as much as everyone is making it out to seem.

There's skill in Mayweather's dodging and turning and tucking and blocking.  He wasn't running.  Maybe a few years ago Pacquiao would have had the speed or strength to throw Mayweather off his game, but he never did Saturday.  It was a dominant match and I felt like I got my money's worth, but I actually like boxing and watch it regularly.  So what do I know.
Most Pac fans or Mayweather haters call that running. There are many ways to win a boxing match. Pac lost because he couldn't connect on enough of his punches.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: JayBell on May 05, 2015, 08:59:56 am

If you feel you got your money's worth from that I feel sorry for you.

I watch boxing too and used to box a little myself but that bout was a joke and nothing but hype.

Also now apparently Mayweather is calling Manny a coward, that's rich coming from a woman beater.

I just hate that such a horrible person made so much money from that pillow fight of a match.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on May 08, 2015, 11:50:49 am
If you feel you got your money's worth from that I feel sorry for you.

I watch boxing too and used to box a little myself but that bout was a joke and nothing but hype.

Also now apparently Mayweather is calling Manny a coward, that's rich coming from a woman beater.

I just hate that such a horrible person made so much money from that pillow fight of a match.

Yeah.  It seems like most people haven't seen Floyd fight and bought the hype.  I thought it was a normal mayweather fight.  It went exactly how I thought it would so I wasn't disappointed.

I feel sorry for people that didn't know any better.

JayBell

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on May 08, 2015, 11:50:49 amIf you feel you got your money's worth from that I feel sorry for you.

Why feel sorry for me?  I'm not complaining on the Internet about losing money on an event I didn't know enough about beforehand.  Like Dillar said, it was a stereotypical Mayweather fight.  He gets in his shots, earns his points and makes the other guy look bad.  With Mayweather (and even Pacquiao these days) you get a full 12-round fight.

I'd much rather pay $100 for 50-plus minutes of entertainment over an early round knockout.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: JayBell on May 11, 2015, 09:04:49 am
Why feel sorry for me?  I'm not complaining on the Internet about losing money on an event I didn't know enough about beforehand.  Like Dillar said, it was a stereotypical Mayweather fight.  He gets in his shots, earns his points and makes the other guy look bad.  With Mayweather (and even Pacquiao these days) you get a full 12-round fight.

I'd much rather pay $100 for 50-plus minutes of entertainment over an early round knockout.

I know lots of people who are still pissed about paying for the Tyson/McNeeley fight.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

JayBell

Canelo won an exciting slugfest with Kirkland Saturday night.  Those are two big guys for their weight class and they were getting some big shots in.  How Kirkland made it all the way to Round 3 is beyond me.

That said, I would've been pissed if I doled out $50 or something to watch Alvarez flatten a guy in less than 3 rounds.  Yes, I'll take the tense uncertainty of a 12-rounder over an early knockout, at least when I'm paying money for it.  If I'm watching YouTube videos or a highlight show, give me the knockouts, obviously.

LAHogfan123

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on May 03, 2015, 12:24:05 am

This^^^^!  Fight of the Century?  Never will there be a fight of the Century with the name of Mayweather attached to it, he doesn't fight, regardless of what some may say on Hogville.  This fight will go down as maybe the greatest bore of the Century, but that's it.  Boxing should no longer be a sport, it's been corrupted to death over the years to the point to where no one really cares, this fight was the last straw that broke the camels back.  MMA if they can keep it from being Don Kinged to death will finally take everyone's interest away from boxing.