Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkaznsas deserved to lose this game

Started by forrest city joe, March 16, 2018, 04:40:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

Quote from: Champs04 on March 16, 2018, 06:35:28 pm
Mike has to go get him some new players Joe? Hasn't he had the time?
Yea he has had time. and he's winning.he's making the Dance akmost every year now.anymore questions?

oldbooniehog

Hey FCJ.

I remember what you said in a thread I started.

It's NOT FAIR to compare Anderson to Eddie Sutton or Nolan Richardson, two great "Hall of Fame" coaches.

Simply not fair to compare Anderson to them, or expect Anderson to achieve anything near like they did.

Hey, three NCAA tournament trips in 7 years, and no Sweet Sixteen is awesome, so long as Anderson is the coach is about as good as it will get. And Hog fans should be GRATEFUL for those types of results with MA.

No siree....not fair at all to expect MA to achieve ES or NR type results.

Not fair at all.

Mikey

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 06:59:15 pm
Yea he has had time. and he's winning.he's making the Dance akmost every year now.anymore questions?

Yes.  Since when is just making the tournament enough to satisfy fans?

The OTR

Joe you always talk up about how we are going dancing.  It's the answer to everything for some guys here once it looks like we are a lock to get a bid. 

The thing that everybody knows is even on years we go dancing we get kicked out of the dance like a 17 year old who sneaks in a flask of whiskey and tries to cover up the smell by slathering on a ton of his old man's old spice but the assistant principal boots him out every year after the first song. 

You've been a mike defender forever but how much longer can even you continue to support a coach that we know has absolutely no chance to make it past round 1 except maybe once every seven years or so? 

I think it's a legitimate question and one you have continually dodged.  Are you okay with Mike being here five more years and never getting us to a sweet sixteen?  Can you be frank and thoughtful and reasonable about this question? 

forrest city joe

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 16, 2018, 07:04:30 pm
Hey FCJ.

I remember what you said in a thread I started.

It's NOT FAIR to compare Anderson to Eddie Sutton or Nolan Richardson, two great "Hall of Fame" coaches.

Simply not fair to compare Anderson to them, or expect Anderson to achieve anything near like they did.

Hey, three NCAA tournament trips in 7 years, and no Sweet Sixteen is awesome, so long as Anderson is the coach is about as good as it will get. And Hog fans should be GRATEFUL for those types of results with MA.

No siree....not fair at all to expect MA to achieve ES or NR type results.

Not fair at all.
The results Nolan gave you may never be matched at Arkansas again.so if that is what a lot of you are waiting on.you are going to be waiting a long time.Mike is doing what has to be done from year to year.he's getting better talent.and it's funny how better talent always makes the coach better.

Justagp

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on March 16, 2018, 04:43:26 pm
MA needs to go out and get some men that can coach defense, rebounding, and fundamentals.
Great assessment. As a Manager, Coach, etc you should know your strengths and shortcomings. Hire personnel who compliment and can improve the quality of your program.

maggiesue

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 04:40:58 pm
Just did not play well.when  you can't get stops on defense or rebound the ball you are going to lose. Hogs did not play well at all.missing wide open shots.and playing very bad defense.Mike has got to go out and get him some men that can rebound and play defense..just did not play well today.and missed wide open shots all game.still proud of the Hogs. looking to next year with all the new talent coming in. Butler shot almost 50% from the field.and out rebounded Arkansas by 20. it's a miracle they game stayed in this game as long as it did.Butler just played way better today.simple as that.still proud of the HOGS.love them.

Joe, you are ridiculous in your logic....you wanted to run Pel out of town and you talk like it is the players' fault in year 7 with Anderson.  Pel was a much better coach of fundamentals than Anderson.  Your defense of this can only be tied to foolish pride or you are somehow married to Anderson...you can not reconcile your constant berating of Pel and your "oh well" attitude with Anderson. Swallow your pride and admit this is horrible basketball and you are hypocritical!

rude1

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 05:21:09 pm
He got a good one last year in Gafford.and another one on the way in Chaney.but he has to get more dept.you need 4 or 5 guys on your front line who can play.same with your back court.i think we will have that at G next year.now Mike has to get another body up front.bad game and loss today.just played bad the last 2 games.next season should be fun with all the new talent coming in.
Agree to a point Joe. But what good is a big man if you are asking him to go out and switch ball screens 25' from the basket, completely taking him away from rim protection and rebounding? This alone just boggles my mind, and would love for someone to ask MA what he is thinking when he does this defensively.

Cambridge Hog

I'd like to know what they actually work on in practice. The announcers called the  team out for not even trying to block out. Why has nobody taught Gaff how to post up? He gets worked by guys that are 6'6. How many games has the offense looked like it did today? Where guys just dribble and jack up a desperation shot?

Newhopehog

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 16, 2018, 06:00:12 pm
I'm not for firing mike but this isn't a good look. If next year provides zero ncaa wins, the heat will be on.

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: Mikey on March 16, 2018, 06:54:51 pm
Having grown up on Razorback basketball with Sutton and Richardson, I was thrilled when we hired Mike.  I'm completely over that now.

I didn't necessarily expect him to do as well as Nolan, but Razorback fans deserve better than this.

Rational post

McKdaddy

Quote from: Mikey on March 16, 2018, 07:22:50 pm

this program was never about being satisfied making the tourney, until recently.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Mikey on March 16, 2018, 07:22:50 pm

When it's MA and you're FCJ.  His guy is bigger than the Hog program.

Rudy Baylor

We just didn't play well

We need rebounding and defense

We just did not play well today

I think it was the 2:30 start time. We're not used to that

clew

This is exactly what I feared. I hoped that CMA would prove me wrong, but he is precisely where I thought he would be—just good enough for people to continue giving him the benefit of a doubt (and contract extensions). I can't see us firing him. Hope I'm wrong there, too.
Pure as the dawn

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

steveaustin69

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 16, 2018, 11:01:40 pm
about 280 other teams would hire him LOL

There are more elementary schools than that.

BassinHawg

Proves MA is full of it! Just plain full of it. "My teams are built for this time of year" MA.

What a crock of crap!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

dagnamit

I think Mike believes as you do. Make the dance and the season is over. Great year.

LJHOG

Hoggish1

Joe,

In tournament time we are going to lose to a veteran team that's well coached.  This game is a perfect example.  We weren't ready to play and Mike could not adjust.  At the very least he should have called a time out in the first two minutes and chewed their asses out!

Hoggish1

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 16, 2018, 04:45:45 pm
Despite fcj swearing I'm a hater, I'm not advocating for MA's firing b/c I don't think we are an attractive job any longer. But Mike's ceiling is nearby.

There is no way a program like Arkansas' should be beat by Butler.  We are not disciplined and we are not well coached.  When the tournament comes we are going to be beat by a well coached team that has time to prepare for us.

Mike is a nice person.  But there is more to it than being nice.

steveaustin69

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 05:37:08 pm
Right on the money. hell i am mad that the Hogs lost too.i wanted to see them win and get a shot at Purdue.but they just did not play well at all. but this idea that nobody will hire Mike is a joke and a lie.Mike is not perfect.in other words he is not Nolan or Eddie.(2 of the best college coaches of all time)but he is a good coach.and better talent is on the way.

are you real? forrest city ain't that big; i gotta know.

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 05:37:08 pm
Mike is not perfect.in other words he is not Nolan or Eddie.(2 of the best college coaches of all time)but he is a good coach.and better talent is on the way.

But that talent will still be coached to not rebound well, to trap and foul 80 ft from the basket, and to not correctly play perimeter defense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 16, 2018, 04:55:27 pm

MA doesn't need to go, but he darned well needs to get more than what he got from his team today.  I really cannot understand 6 seniors coming into a game with no energy focus, and determination. Coaches didn't have us ready or the players completely ignored Butler thinking it was a gimme.  Embarrassing, disappointing, and inexcusable.

Geez....if all that's not Anderson's fault...whose is it??  The track coach???
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: rude1 on March 16, 2018, 07:40:27 pm
Agree to a point Joe. But what good is a big man if you are asking him to go out and switch ball screens 25' from the basket, completely taking him away from rim protection and rebounding? This alone just boggles my mind, and would love for someone to ask MA what he is thinking when he does this defensively.

I agree, but let's be honest, it really didn't matter when Gafford was down low either.  We still didn't get any rebounds. 

As slow as we are on defense, either through lack of effort or sheer lack of speed, there's no way we should have ever played anything but a match up zone against Butler.  I would rather have guys learn how to stay a step closer to guys spotting on the 3 pt line than watching our guys get broken down off the dribble TIME after TIME after we switch on ball screens. 

It has become painfully obvious that we've been scouted, teams know we're going to do that, and they just wait until their fastest guard gets a favorable matchup, and break us down faster than a worn our 20 gauge.   

We kept hearing...."This is the worst matchup we could have drawn."  On one end, our size serves us no advantage when we're asking our bigs to stay in front of guards with no presence in the paint to protect the rim.  But we make up for it on the other end by NEVER taking advantage of our size and getting the ball down low, GOING TO THE RIM, forcing them to foul, and making it a dog fight. /sarcasm

I want to just accept that Butler played a great game, we played poorly, and that's how it goes sometimes.  But didn't we hear...

...THIS IS WHAT OUR TEAMS ARE BUILT FOR....multilpe time from Mike Anderson?  How many minutes did Butler get off the bench?  How many points did their bench score?  Did it REALLY make any difference that we subbed 10 guys deep?  Didn't we play the same number of total minutes they did...40?  Why weren't they dragging their tongues?  Why do our best players need more rest than the opposition?  Because we're playing harder?  Really?..because I'm not seeing that.     

It's just the same story over and over, and while I like Mike and would love to see him do well, I'm just tired of the inability to adjust or scheme effectively.  He'll get at least 2 more years after this season, but I don't expect to see anything different.  Oh well...it's what we have.   :( 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on March 16, 2018, 04:49:11 pm
Yeah, guess my statement wasn't clear enough that he could replace himself while he's at it, but that's not going to happen this year.

Surely if he doesn't get us to the Sweet Sixteen in year eight he will be gone.  Surely the university I use to be so proud of has not gotten to the point that we give up and accept mediocrity in basketball?

We've had 20+ years of mediocrity now. Anyone younger than 30 could have no more than faintest recollection of Arkansas being relevant nationally. I'd say the University gave in to mediocrity a long time ago.

TNRazorbacker

Agree Mike needs to go. He's not meeting expectations and its crazy to keep doing the same thing and expect anything to change. No excuse for AR to be this perpetually mediocre.

That said, we all need to understand that a change could very easily, probably more likely, lead to a worse result than what we've had with Mike. There's a painful tendency among fan bases to overlook this fact when calling for the coaches head.

The OTR

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on March 16, 2018, 07:26:51 pm
Joe you always talk up about how we are going dancing.  It's the answer to everything for some guys here once it looks like we are a lock to get a bid. 

The thing that everybody knows is even on years we go dancing we get kicked out of the dance like a 17 year old who sneaks in a flask of whiskey and tries to cover up the smell by slathering on a ton of his old man's old spice but the assistant principal boots him out every year after the first song. 

You've been a mike defender forever but how much longer can even you continue to support a coach that we know has absolutely no chance to make it past round 1 except maybe once every seven years or so? 

I think it's a legitimate question and one you have continually dodged.  Are you okay with Mike being here five more years and never getting us to a sweet sixteen?  Can you be frank and thoughtful and reasonable about this question?

Didn't think Joe would address this question.  He's sooner have a finger smashed in a vice than turn on Mike Anderson.

If Mike Anderson ever commits a gruesome crime he couldn't find a better buddy to drive the Bronco than Forrest City Joe.

I can see picture Mike lying down in the back seat with Joe calling in to all the radio talk shows..."you know who I am, ###@ it!"

Scott7703

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on March 17, 2018, 01:48:09 pm
Didn't think Joe would address this question.  He's sooner have a finger smashed in a vice than turn on Mike Anderson.

If Mike Anderson ever commits a gruesome crime he couldn't find a better buddy to drive the Bronco than Forrest City Joe.

I can see picture Mike lying down in the back seat with Joe calling in to all the radio talk shows..."you know who I am, ###@ it!"

Joes the first guy to want to axe every football coach for "mediocrity" but seems to look past the mediocrity of the basketball program.

99toLife

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on March 17, 2018, 01:48:09 pm

hate to admit it, but that made me laugh.

Kevin

Joe, would you be happy with a football coach who went 7-6 or 8-5, every year. With going to liberty , Texas, type bowls every year. With no chance to achieve higher?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Scott7703 on March 17, 2018, 10:18:42 pm

Joes the first guy to want to axe every football coach for "mediocrity" but seems to look past the mediocrity of the basketball program.

Thats because none of the football coaches have possessed one key characteristic.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Großer Kriegschwein

Did you look at the Cotton Bowl as our National Championship game in football?

didn't think so.

Making the tournament isn't good enough.
This is my non-signature signature.

texas tush hog

Quote from: hobhog on March 16, 2018, 05:33:46 pm
He won't be our coach in two years

I woudn't make book on that. The people who are filling up the Bud beg to differ.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 16, 2018, 08:57:31 pm
We just didn't play well

We need rebounding and defense

We just did not play well today

I think it was the 2:30 start time. We're not used to that
Sarcasm?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.