Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clear up a few SMU Things.

Started by OLEJACKETFAN, January 11, 2018, 03:22:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

Thanks for posting, OP. Between your insight on CCM and the UTk guy's insight on Chavis I think we have a pretty good idea on what we have to work with.

LZH

Quote from: snoblind on January 13, 2018, 02:18:34 am
Yet you compare him to Pelphrey.  I've known about him since his Lake Travis days.  Time will tell how he does, but that's a terrible comparison.

I haven't compared him to anyone...that was somebody else.

hawgwash

Quote from: LZH on January 12, 2018, 06:49:22 pm
I haven't said much about the CM hire, because I don't really know anything about him. But the idea of "oh s***" has bounced around my head a couple of times. After BB, I'm on alert.
Interesting that you're thinking "oh s***" if you don't really know anything about him.

LZH

Quote from: hawgwash on January 13, 2018, 08:04:41 am
Interesting that you're thinking "oh s***" if you don't really know anything about him.

And that's precisely why I was thinking that way.

Fwiw, after reading up on him I think he's gonna be ok. But as an ol' head Hog fan, I'm still jittery.

ricepig

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 12, 2018, 08:46:06 pm
Friday and Saturday they will be in several different States!! Not just Texas! I have told everyone he is a relentless worker! And he expects the same from his Staff.

I hate to tell you, but every staff does this, it isn't any "new and better way." Bielema flew 30,000 miles or something crazy like that, and people bitched because he was wasting time chasing 4*-5* across America.

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 13, 2018, 03:54:10 am
Heard Danny Sheridan say he believed Arkansas will be a 10 win team in 4 years under Morris and be behind only Alabama and Georgia.

Danny says nice things all the time about the team his audience is from. I hope he is correct and I think/know we'll be better than the recent trend in 4 years, but I wouldn't put money on only being behind those two.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Dang Rice... You get more and more negative with each comment. When you play "Devil's Advocate" you play it to the hilt. You seem to hate losing so much that I wish you had gotten the job...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hawginj

Quote from: ricepig on January 13, 2018, 09:32:06 am
I hate to tell you, but every staff does this, it isn't any "new and better way." Bielema flew 30,000 miles or something crazy like that, and people bitched because he was wasting time chasing 4*-5* across America.
yea but the reason he had to fly across the country were to find kids to fit his system because that brand of football does not exist in our region anymore except maybe a handful of small schools that dont produce D1 talent. The system CM will run is all over Arkansas,Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, ect.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawginj on January 13, 2018, 10:53:35 am
yea but the reason he had to fly across the country were to find kids to fit his system because that brand of football does not exist in our region anymore except maybe a handful of small schools that dont produce D1 talent. The system CM will run is all over Arkansas,Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, ect.

"Players" can fit any system.

iHog

This is a very effective retort. +1

Jek Tono Porkins

Truth. Barry Alvarez said as much. In the midwest, particularly in Wisconsin, you have a bunch of people that are the result of generation after generation of Vikings boning each other for hundreds of years. They're big folks, but they ain't real fast. If those are the cards you're dealt, of course you're going to run a style built around those kids that can just manhandle other teams and wear them down. In the South that isn't the case. Not a lot of 6-6, 300 pound Vikings running around, but we got a bunch of smaller, faster people that can outrun the huge Vikings.

Now of course Bielema got a few of the Viking gene kids like Ragnow but not near enough of them to really compete in the SEC, yet he still tried to run that Wisconsin system. So 5 years of the Bielema era pretty much boiled down to:
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

HoggyCat

Quote from: ricepig on January 13, 2018, 10:56:07 am
"Players" can fit any system.

And "coaches" can adapt to what talent they have when they fail at recruiting what they want, and quit trying to force their way.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

bjbuatamu

Someone who took the time to look up SMU and University of Memphis admissions standards and their relationship to football has way too much time on their hands.  As if those matter. 

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 12, 2018, 09:54:59 am
Stephenville High's mascot is the Yellow Jackets so I'm going to take a wild guess that is the connection for OleJacketFan.

Elysian Fields Yellow Jackets.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2018, 03:43:25 pm
That the other rumored candidates had higher ceilings?? No, not really, I think they all have about the same ceiling, especially here.

Rice, most on here either will not understand this or believe it.  I do and you are right.  It hurts like hell too, because I'm old enough to remember.

bennyl08

Quote from: bjbuatamu on January 16, 2018, 10:41:10 pm
Someone who took the time to look up SMU and University of Memphis admissions standards and their relationship to football has way too much time on their hands.  As if those matter.

Took mere seconds to google. Easily <3 minutes to compare and contrast the listed standards and type up the reply.

We live in the information age. It's not like I had to hand write a letter, go to a local library to look up the address, wait for a reply from the university, etc...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on January 17, 2018, 12:38:05 am
Elysian Fields Yellow Jackets.

Elysian is my favorite brewery. They sold out, but I've yet to have a bad beer from them and almost all of them are exceptional. If I die in battle and wake up in the Elysian fields, I'm going to hope those fields are fields of hops...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/