Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Steps for Donnie Tyndall

Started by jbcarol, April 21, 2014, 10:22:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FBREW000

Met Tyndall and most of his staff in Destin a few weeks back.  He got married at the resort we were staying.

Really enjoyed their personalities and friendliness.  And they spoke very highly of coach MA!

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Donnie Tyndall added his second commitment on Labor Day weekend as 6-foot-4 guard Shembari Phillips pledged to the Vols on Monday.

Yesterday, another Class of 20155 (sic) wing, Admiral Schofield, verbally committed to the program.

QuotePhillips is an athletic wing that has range out to the three-point line, but he has a tendency to drift in and out of games at times. Consistent effort is a key for him. He's a product of Tucker HS (Ga.), that has produced talented wings including fellow Vol Cam Tatum.

Tennessee has one scholarship left available for 2015 with the current roster intact.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  6h
Here's @MattNorlander on #Vols coach Donnie Tyndall. Good read. http://cbsprt.co/1qLqna4

QuoteTo be Tennessee men's basketball coach, you have to be self-aware and self-deprecating. Most of all: self-critical. The Tennessee job, and Tennessee fan base, practically mandates it.

"I know people would rather have Bruce Pearl sitting in this chair than Donnie Tyndall," says Donnie Tyndall, Tennessee's new coach.

Tyndall knows his name was greeted by most, inside the state of Tennessee and out, with a "Who?" after the Volunteers hired him in late April to replace three-year coach Cuonzo Martin. Fighting a lack of name recognition and the prejudice of his slightly pudgy appearance, getting past the judgment of detractors is something Tyndall, 44, has done for 25 years. Fortunately, he can joke at his own expense while proving you seriously wrong. This is a guy who, at his introductory press conference, basically told Tennesseans he figured they knew he wasn't the first choice for this job.

(He wasn't, by the way. Louisiana Tech's Michael White first turned the job down.)

Then, at that press conference, he gestured toward his attractive blonde bride-to-be, Nikki -- a former Kentucky basketball player who is 11 years his junior -- and said, "Do you think I was her first choice?"

"You've gotta be able to laugh at yourself," Tyndall says...

jbcarol

Jeff Archer @jeffarcherwvlt  ·  22h

Donnie Tyndall plans to participate in his own Run for Veterans this weekend. Donnie says if he beats any players "they're in big trouble".

jbcarol

Samantha Kincaid @samikincaid  ·  2 hours ago

@UTCoachTyndall is out early this morning at Pilot on the strip pumping gas to raise money for United Way

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  2 hours ago

NCAA investigating Southern Miss basketball for possible violations, report says | http://ow.ly/DWdsm

QuoteSouthern Miss basketball is under NCAA investigation for violations that happened during Donnie Tyndall's tenure as head coach...

Jason King wrote that that the NCAA is looking into whether or not academically ineligible recruits -- so-called "Prop 48s" -- were given housing, living expenses and other fees while they were not on scholarship. According to the report, several Southern Miss players lived in off-campus apartments while working to improve their grades to meet NCAA minimum requirements, at which point they were placed on scholarship.

Southern Miss released the following short statement from athletics director Bill McGillis just before 3 p.m. Thursday afternoon:

"The university is working together with the NCAA to review potential issues related to our men's basketball program. In order to maintain the integrity of our joint process, and pursuant to NCAA policy, we cannot comment further regarding any details of our review at this time."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  · 1 hour ago

#Vols basketball coach Donnie Tyndall says he will work with NCAA if asked. Says he has not been contacted by NCAA. http://shar.es/10kOmS

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  37 minutes ago

UT athletics statement on Bleacher Report story involving Tyndall at Southern Miss

Razorod

Their top recruit, Chris Clarke, has already flipped to VT.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

jbcarol

Clay Travis @ClayTravisBGID  ·  7 hours ago
Only Tennessee would pass on the best Vol head coach ever because he had NCAA issues and then hire an unproven coach with NCAA issues.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  · 

Where this Southern Miss/Donnie Tyndall NCAA deal goes from here, I'm not sure anybody knows for sure at this point.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  17 hours ago
Remaining #Vols basketball commitments stand by Donnie Tyndall after report of Southern Miss NCAA investigation http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/remaining-tennessee-basketball-commitments-stand-by-donnie-tyndall_40976623 ...

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  17 hours ago
Blog: @JasonKingBR joined @sports180 to discuss his report of Southern MIss NCAA violations under UT's Donnie Tyndall http://knoxblogs.com/fastbreak/2014/11/07/bleacher-report-writer-discusses-report-tyndall-southern-miss/ ...

QuoteKing painted a grim picture for Tyndall — and by extension UT — if the NCAA is able to prove the violations.

You can listen to King's full interview here. His responses to certain questions are transcribed (via the link above).

"It makes what Bruce Pearl did pale in comparison. I mean if this is a repeat violator associated with the same particular violation, you've got to think he would be given a show cause penalty that would prevent him from getting any sort of a good job for quite a while. He doesn't have a good reputation, to be frank, among other coaches. People are lining up behind his back to bad mouth him, call people like me and other people that do what I do and say bad things about him. There are plenty of other rumors about things that went on when he was at Southern Miss that may not even be NCAA violations, but things that don't bode well for his program when it comes to players involved with failed drug treats, some violence that was occurring around campus. You just hear all kinds of things that made people think he wasn't running the best program as far as the environment and the culture around his program. I think he is going to have a tough time surviving this — if it all turns out to be true."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  1 hour ago
Tyndall on NCAA report: "It's not going to be a distraction at all."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  34 minutes ago

#Vols basketball coach Donnie Tyndall tells Knoxville Quarterback Club 'everything is going to be fine' http://shar.es/10FfnV

Quote"I want to quickly address the deal that's going on at Southern Miss," Tyndall told the crowd at Calhoun's on the River. "I'm not allowed to comment on it. I know there will be probably be those of those that want to ask and have questions, but I will be fully cooperating. I can't comment at all until it's run its course, but I feel very confident that everything is going to be fine. I just have to leave it at that."

This is the first time Tyndall publicly expressed confidence that he will emerged from the investigation unscathed.

His language about participating in the investigation has also changed. Last Thursday, after Southern Miss announced it is cooperating with the NCAA's investigation, Tyndall said he had not been contacted by the NCAA. He did not answer when asked the same question Monday. Spokesmen for UT athletics have also declined to answer the question...

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred

When schools ask NCAA for info on coaches, only closed cases are shared. ... relevant to Tyndall, Southern Miss

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  16 hours ago

Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart says NCAA will interview #Vols basketball coach Donnie Tyndall http://shar.es/10MQdD

jbcarol

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — This was supposed to be a story about a basketball coach who worked and worked until his sport finally rewarded his grind.

And maybe it will end that way.

But when Tennessee tips off against No. 15 VCU at Alumni Hall on Friday (TV: CBS Sports Net, 6:30 p.m.), the first chapter of the Donnie Tyndall era will go down as, well, complicated.

QuoteFor those close to him, Tyndall, 44, is a role model, a person who makes others better.

"When I figured it out, that's when it all clicked for me," Ty Proffitt, a UT graduate manager who played for Tyndall at Morehead State, said. "Just the accountability he holds on his guys. It prepares you for the real world. In today's times, athletes are so catered to. Next to my dad, he is a second father to me. I would do anything in the world for him. And he would do anything in the world to help me."

Added J.T. Burton, UT's director of player development who played a season of junior-college ball for Tyndall at St. Catharine College in Kentucky, "He was tough. But we all knew we needed it. We started out (the season) with like 22 players. We ended up with nine. All nine of us are very successful."

Tyndall keeps a Hubie Brown quote — "ALWAYS REMEMBER — YOU ARE A HALF STEP FROM THE STREET!" — taped inside his planner, a handwritten reminder to keep his nose on the grindstone.

As a player at Morehead State, Tyndall was an undersized guard who refused to quit when new coach Dick Fick tried to run him off the team for extra scholarship space...

The Southern Miss investigation brought new life to Tyndall's previous NCAA trouble. In 2010, his Morehead State team was hit with a two-year probation for a lengthy and impermissible relationship with a booster who influenced recruiting. At the time of his hire at UT, Tyndall addressed the incident briefly. He learned from the mistake and moved on. So did everyone else.

But now that NCAA scrutiny has returned, this time at Tyndall's immediate stop before UT, the narrative of his hardscrabble coaching rise has been put on hold.

Instead, NCAA noise has become the defining element in the Donnie Tyndall era.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  9 hours ago
The Donnie Tyndall Era started with a loss to No. 15 VCU, a team Tyndall wouldn't mind emulating  ...

Tyndall's opening statement was wishing JeQuan Lewis a speedy recovery. [VCU player suffered a possible concussion.]

When asked about Mostella's 17 points, Tyndall pointed out he had no rebounds and no assists. Is Mostella the new Josh Dobbs?

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  12 hours ago
Tyndall has DeVoe's support as NCAA seeks facts http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/former-vols-coach-don-devoe-supporting-donnie-tyndall-as-ncaa-seeks-facts_14352195 ...

QuoteAsk Don DeVoe, the former Tennessee men's basketball coach (1978-89) for his take on the NCAA's interest in first-year Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall and his former Southern Miss program, and he offers a much more neutral response.

He thinks Vols fans should join him on the fence for now.

"It's just really important for everybody to take a step back, get a breath of fresh air and let the chips fall where they are," DeVoe told the News Sentinel on Friday. "This young man has a great opportunity, and the program has a great opportunity, because he is a proven winner. They have to give him a chance to get the program headed in the right direction. I think we just need to wait and see what really, and truly, the allegations are, then take it from there."

DeVoe retired to Annapolis, Md., but still keeps a home in Knoxville. He attended UT's practice Thursday and watched the Vols lose their season-opener to No. 15 VCU in the Veterans Classic on Friday. His introduction to Tyndall came before, when the new coach called him not long after being hired at Tennessee and asked if he had any advice he was willing to give.

DeVoe believes public judgement should be reserved until more is known.

"I don't know what's going to happen," he said. "No one can fully comprehend what might be going on. Again, we all need to step back and support the coach."

DeVoe had strong opinions on Bruce Pearl and Cuonzo Martin that will be included in the Tenure of SEC Basketball Coaches thread.

jbcarol

Gary Parrish @GaryParrishCBS  ·  Nov 17
Connection between ex-Tyndall assistant and NCAA investigator at center of USM case, sources told @CBSSports. Story: http://goo.gl/8cSQ8A

QuoteFormer Donnie Tyndall assistant Wade O'Connor denied to CBSSports.com on Monday that he's a source in the NCAA's investigation into the program Tyndall once ran at Southern Miss -- although multiple sources continue to insist O'Connor simply isn't being honest.

"Wade never wanted his name out there like this," one source told CBSSports.com. "He just wanted to be an anonymous source."

CBSSports.com reported last week that O'Connor is among the NCAA's sources, and at least one person described the ex-Tyndall assistant as a "disgruntled former employee." O'Connor worked for Tyndall, now the head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers, at both Morehead State and Southern Miss. But Tyndall and O'Connor parted after the 2012-13 season, and O'Connor hasn't returned to college coaching in any capacity since. He told CBSSports.com on Monday he now sells AdvoCare products.

O'Connor's link to the investigation isn't hard to trace.

He worked at Dayton from 1996 to 2000 with Frank Smith, who is now on the NCAA's enforcement staff, and Smith, sources told CBSSports.com, has been the primary investigator working the Southern Miss case. According to a source, O'Connor fed Smith some of the information at the root of the allegations against Tyndall. The source added one of Tyndall's lawyer's complaints going forward will be that Smith pursued Southern Miss, in part, to get retribution for O'Connor.

The NCAA will deny one has anything to do with the other, a source told CBSSports.com. Still, sources told CBSSports.com Smith's role in the case against Southern Miss has been lessened because of fears of arguments about a possible conflict of interest.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  47 minutes ago

Basketball #Vols still 'mad' about tale-of-two-halves in loss to VCU heading into tonight's home opener. http://timesfreepress.com/news/2014/nov

Quote"One thing about us, one thing about Coach (Donnie Tyndall), we'll never quit," said guard Kevin Punter, who had eight points, five rebounds and seven assists in his Tennessee debut.

"No matter how much we're losing by or winning by, we're going to keep the pressure on. We cut the lead, and we had a chance to win. We didn't get a few stops toward the end, but it's a learning curve, and we're going to get better."

Tyndall, Tennessee's first-year coach who declined comment earlier this week if he was meeting with members of the NCAA enforcement staff on Tuesday regarding the investigation into possible violations that occurred under his watch at Southern Mississippi, said the Vols have focused on the bad of the first half and the good of the second.

"Obviously the first half was ugly (with) way too many turnovers," he said. "In the second half I thought we relaxed and did a better job of taking care of the basketball. We were more in attack mode and getting the ball to the paint and getting some easier opportunities at the rim."

Freshman guard Detrick Mostella hit three of the Vols' four 3s on the way to having a 17-point game that was a bright spot even though he didn't record a single rebound or assist and had four turnovers.

"Detrick's a great kid, and we've talked about this a bunch -- he can score the basketball," Tyndall said. "We all know that. We all get that, but we've always talked about, he and I in meetings and in front of the team, if you're not making shots, what else do you to do to help our team win?

"It's got to be rebounding the ball. It's got to be deflections or steals. It's got to be having a positive assist-to-turnover ratio. Because of (his work ethic), he's got nowhere to go but up."

Coach would also like to thank AJ Johnson...

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  8 hours ago
Tyndall: "I don't think we're going to overwhelm anybody this year, but our style of play takes a toll in the second half."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  2 hours ago
#Vols showed plenty of fire against No. 11 Kansas, but couldn't hang with KU bigs Ellis and Alexander http://shar.es/1X8O3a

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  18 hours ago
You wanted emotion, #Vols fans. Well ... here's emotion. RT @judejeffers: @wesrucker247 RT"@gmannVOLS: Donnie angry http://bit.ly/1s6VlIx "

[vine]OrZ0wedBzUT[/vine]

jbcarol

#Vols hoops had not so great practices Monday and Tuesday, Tyndall said. Maybe some hangover effect from Kansas State win.

Tyndall on rotation: Josh and Armani have separated themselves. We have eight guys under them that are basically even.

Tyndall on who is trending up this week: Detrick Mostella and Tariq Owens

Tyndall: Reducing number of fouls is still an emphasis. Rebounding margin is still too low. #Vols need to get to the free-throw line more.

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  20 hours ago

#Vols forward Dominic Woodson to miss another week of practice for academic reasons

jbcarol

#Vols coach Donnie Tyndall's contract includes NCAA clauses http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/donnie-tyndalls-contract-shows-ncaa-violations-at-southern-miss-could-hurt-him-at-ut_51714699 ...

QuoteFOI: Tennessee basketball coach Donnie Tyndall could be fired for cause if he misrepresented to UT what he knew about potential NCAA wrongdoing in his former program.

The first-year Vols coach might face the same fate if an ongoing NCAA review into Southern Miss basketball links him to significant violations.

These scenarios, along with other punishments Tyndall could face depending on the review's outcome and UT's subsequent response, are outlined in the coach's employment agreement. The stipulations in the agreement are consistent with contracts Tennessee has with other coaches.

The News Sentinel obtained the document Wednesday through a public records request. The contract supplants the memorandum of understanding agreed upon when Tyndall was hired April 22...

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  15 hours ago
Dominic Woodson's turbulent career with the #Vols ends after one semester  http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/dominic-woodsons-turbulent-career-at-tennessee-ends-after-one-semester_30728034 ...

Tyndall: "Dominic has informed me that he wants to transfer to a school were he can have a larger role ..."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  20 minutes ago
Tyndall on second ranked win: "I don't know that I've ever been more proud of a group of guys than I was today."

Vols beat No. 15 Butler 67-55.

jbcarol

Mark Wiedmer: UT's Donnie Tyndall may be worth the risk

QuoteIs it too early to trumpet Tennessee's Donnie Tyndall for Southeastern Conference coach of the year?

If the season ended today with UT having already whipped dangerous Kansas State and Butler, can anyone think of a more deserving SEC coach-of-the-year winner on the court than the new Vols boss? Especially given the fact that he's attempting to integrate eight mostly unsung newcomers into a roster that might not have scared a fraternity team at season's dawn?

Of course, all this assumes that Tyndall still will be the UT coach at the close of the season.

And that's where all of this really gets interesting and worrisome and downright uncomfortable for all involved -- from the coach to UT athletic director Dave Hart, to the players and to the fans...

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  Dec 15

Vol Calls caller asks how Donnie Tyndall changed the defense from last season. As in I'm not sure he knew Tyndall wasn't here last season.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  16 hours ago
Final: #Vols (4-4) lose to N.C. State (9-2) 83-72.

Tyndall: N.C. State's three guards are probably one of the top 10 backcourts in college basketball

Tyndall: A guy (Turner) makes six contested threes in a night. Give him credit.

Tyndall: "There's not any quit in this team."

Tyndall: "There are going to be some nights when we play really hard and compete for 40 minutes and it's just not going to be quite enough"

Tyndall: Jabari McGhee's injury might be a fifth metatarsal, team thinks. Could be at least six weeks if that is the injury.

jbcarol

#Vols claw back to beat Tennessee Tech, 61-58 http://shar.es/13FSqn

Tyndall on Jabari McGhee: He had surgery. The prognosis is a minimum of six to eight weeks.

Tyndall: "We need to get our minds right, learn from this game."

Tyndall on missed layups: "With our post guys, it's a lack of strength."

The #Vols made 5-of-15 layups in the first half.

Attendance tonight: 13,201

Josh Richardson stepped up when the #Vols needed him most tonight. Check out this run.

Pig in the Pokey

I was bored and read this whole thread. Fascinating! I went from being a little jealous of tenner finding such a charismatic, tireless recruiter on the rise; to roflmao-ing at them for their #karma. You the best, jb!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  14 hours ago
Tyndall: I feel like I'm a decent motivator, and I try to give the guys a good pep talk before every game, but we keep starting slowly.

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  12 hours ago
#Vols can't shake second-half team label in comeback win against Tennessee Tech  http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/tennessee-cant-shake-secondhalf-team-label-in-win-over-tennessee-tech_04749162 ...

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  Dec 20

Hoops Notebook: #Vols guard Ian Chiles finally healthy, could add depth at point guard http://shar.es/13TZMy

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  15 minutes ago
Tyndall: "Our team has really overachieved like we hoped it would."

Tyndall: "I think we are probably ahead of schedule a little bit."

Tyndall: We are at the point where we have eight starters. It can vary game from game based on practices, games, etc.

Tyndall got fired up when fielding the Robert Hubbs expectation question. Says rankings, outside expectations mean nothing.

jbcarol

GoVolsXtra @GoVolsXtra  ·  17 hours ago
More brash than breezy, Josh Richarsdon talking the talk as a senior http://ow.ly/GsQ83 

QuoteDuring a Dec. 20 phone call, former UT guard Jordan McRae, who catches games when he can while playing professionally in Australia, told Richardson his swagger on the court looks familiar.

"He said I'm trying to get like him now," Richardson said. "You know how he was."

Richardson has been asked to do a lot during his final season. He averages 35.1 minutes per game, five more than any teammate. He leads the Vols in scoring (16.3) and assists (2.9) despite playing the point guard position for the first time in his college career. His strides on offense have not hampered his defense. Richardson embraced UT's switch from man defense to match-up zone. His 22 steals lead the team. He's just five short of his total through 37 games last season.

Richardson is playing the best basketball of his career. He's acting like it, too.

"We've got a lot of new guys," he said. "When they see me getting in somebody's face or getting in somebody on defense, I feel like they feed off that. If we get a big steal or a big play, I feel like that gets us going."

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  Dec 27

Donnie's wearing that blue shirt/orange tie combo that doesn't go with that jacket. Been meaning to talk to him about this.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  22 hours ago
Final: #Vols beat ETSU 71-61. They are 8-4 and will enter SEC play on a 4-game win streak, having won 6 of their last 7.

I'm not sure the last time #Vols overcame a 13-point deficit to win. Last time they overcame 15-point deficit for W was a/g Texas in 06.

Tyndall: "Armani Moore is my type of dude."

Tyndall: "Offensively, it's going to be a work in progress. I'm probably going to be saying that until the SEC tournament."

Tyndall: 8-4 is pretty good with the least experienced team in our league.

Tyndall: "I want them playing fast. I don't mean shoot it quick. Play fast, aggressive."

A bloodied Armani Moore finished three dimes short of a triple-double Wednesday. "Now is my time to step up," he said http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/armani-moore-falls-short-of-tripledouble-but-sends-vols-past-etsu_76826874 ...

jbcarol

David Brandt @davidbrandtAP  ·  10 hours ago

Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall still unfamiliar with the usual SEC refs. That's his cheat sheet.

jbcarol

SEC Network @SECNetwork  ·  9 hours ago

Final: Vols 61 | MS State 47 @Vol_Hoops wins its 1st road game of the year. Tennessee went 10-20 from 3. http://bit.ly/17knGan  #TENNvsMSST

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  4 hours ago

Dave Hart on Donnie Tyndall's NCAA situation: 'We haven't heard anything from the NCAA for many, many weeks now.' http://bit.ly/1xJcFcu

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  7 hours ago
Derek Reese on Donnie Tyndall's push for 20k crowd at TBA on Saturday: "We are a young team. We pick up energy from the fans."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·   hours ago
Tyndall: If we don't have Josh Richardson we might score 15 points per game.

Tyndall on Richardson drawing opponents' best defender: "That's the nature of being one of the best scorers in your conference."

Tyndall: "Outside of Josh, we really don't have a playmaker."

Tyndall on Alabama's D: Their length really bothered us, not just as we tried to drive, but their perimeter players.

Tyndall hinting starting lineup could change after three starters didn't score against Alabama. Also said no one has truly separated.

Tyndall on Bobby Portis: "He reminds me of Kenneth Faried. He's a lottery pick. He's a top-15 pick, whether it's this year or next year."

Tyndall on Arkansas changing road struggles: "This is Mike's 4th year. Every guy in his program his probably his recruit, or close to it."

Tyndall on Arkansas: "As teams grow and mature, that struggling on the road goes away a little bit, especially if you're a quality team."

Tyndall on Detrick Mostella's ankle: He was probably only about 80 percent in Alabama game. Should be closer to 100 for Arkansas

Tyndall: "Michael Qualls is fantastic. I think he's an NBA guy as well. Freak athlete."

Tyndall: Willie Carmichael would ideally play 6/8 mpg. He's starting and averaging 27 mpg. Can't use youth as excuse. Has to get better

Tyndall said it "could get ugly real quick" against Arkansas if #Vols aren't on edge and confident.

Tyndall: "If you hang your head or feel sorry for yourself in this business, people will crush you."

Tyndall on likely starters for Arkansas: Josh, Baulkman, Hubbs, Moore and Reese

Arkansas coach Mike Anderson on Josh Richardson: "He's doing everything for their basketball team."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  39m 39 minutes ago
Final Stats:

Final: #Vols beat No. 19 Arkansas 74-69. They've won five straight against the Razorbacks at home.

Tyndall says foul on the 3-pointer was his fault. Wanted team to foul. Should have had them do it earlier. Put in position for shooting foul

Tyndall: I was a little worried the fans wouldn't come back (after Alabama). They were great.

Tyndall: "I love Ted Valentine. I'm not going to say anything bad about the officiating."

Tyndall: "For about 35 minutes we played to win. The last five minutes we played not to lose."

Tyndall: "Thank goodness we made enough plays to make it out alive."