Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

... Steve Taneyhill

steve taneyhill Retweeted
SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 15h15 hours ago South Carolina, USA

Steve Taneyhill tells us tonight he does not plan to return to high school coaching and is moving into private business. Won 5 state titles.

Taneyhill had been relieved of his head coaching duties at Union County earlier in 2016 after four seasons.

He was the QB at South Carolina when they joined the SEC with Arkansas.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Jimmy England

Report that Jimmy England passed away today in Marietta. Was named Tennessee's SEC Legend in 2011.

Jimmy England Honored as SEC Legend
Former Vol great Jimmy England chosen to represent Tennessee at SEC Tournament

QuoteA 6-1 guard from Knoxville, Tenn., England was a two-time first-team All-SEC performer and also was named a first-team 1971 Helms Athletic Foundation All-America selection after averaging 20.6 points per game.

Known by the nickname "Mr. Clutch," he finished his Big Orange career ranked third on UT's all-time scoring list with 1,407 career points. He was Tennessee's top scorer, free-throw shooter and assists man as both a junior and senior.

After making the SEC All-Sophomore Team in 1968-69, England led the entire SEC in free-throw percentage in 1969-70 (.897) and assists in 1970-71 (5.4 apg). He served as a team captain as a senior in 1970-71 and helped lead the Vols to a 21-7 record and a second-place SEC finish.

The Chicago Bulls selected England in the sixth round of the 1971 NBA Draft. He [was] a business owner living in Marietta, Ga.

Joining England in the 2011 class of SEC Legends are: Robert Horry (Alabama), George Kok (Arkansas), Jimmy Fibbe (Auburn), Craig Brown (Florida), Walter Daniels (Georgia), Kevin Grevey (Kentucky), Howard Carter (LSU), Bob Weltlich (Ole Miss), Darryl Wilson (Mississippi State), B.J. McKie (South Carolina) and Jeff Turner (Vanderbilt).
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on June 16, 2016, 02:16:28 pm
... Jimmy England

Report that Jimmy England passed away today in Marietta. Was named Tennessee's SEC Legend in 2011.

Jimmy England Honored as SEC Legend
Former Vol great Jimmy England chosen to represent Tennessee at SEC Tournament

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams Jun 16

Our thoughts and prayers with family of former UT star
basketball player Jimmy England (1968-71), who died of cancer today in Marietta, Ga.

England played at Knoxville's Holston High School. At UT, averaged 19.4 ppg as junior, 20.6 ppg as senior.

England's 1407 career points ranks No. 20 all-time at UT. England still holds UT career record for free throw percentage (.881)

jbcarol

... Mike Dyer

Canadian Football League teams had to have their rosters trimmed to 46 players by Sunday afternoon in anticipation of the kickoff of the regular season on Thursday

QuoteAmong the players released on Sunday were running back Michael Dyer by the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Dyer had two 1,000-yard rushing seasons at Auburn before transferring.

jbcarol

... Pat Summitt

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  8m8 minutes ago
Family of Pat Summitt releases official statement on health of legendary former Tennessee coach

http://patsummitt.org/update.aspx

Quote6/26/2016

Statement Concerning the Condition of Pat Summitt

"On behalf of Pat Summitt's family, we acknowledge the past few days have been difficult for Pat as her early onset dementia, 'Alzheimer's Type,' progresses. She is surrounded by those who mean the most to her and during this time, we ask for prayers for Pat and her family and friends, as well as your utmost respect and privacy. Thank you."

jbcarol

jbcarol

...  The former Vols punter Colquitt

QuoteColquitt does it for smiles

His wife, Christia, had just graduated from dental school at the University of Missouri-Kansas City in 2005, and his mother, Ann, was a dental assistant. So when Bill Busch reached out to Colquitt about a new charity, Team Smile, Colquitt naturally was intrigued.

On Monday, in the 10th year of the program, Colquitt again brought Team Smile to his hometown and into the venue, Neyland Stadium, that launched him to an Pro Bowl NFL career.

Preparing for his 12th season with the Kansas City Chiefs, who drafted the former Tennessee standout with the 99th pick of the 2005 NFL Draft, Colquitt acknowledged big dreams for the brainchild program of Busch, a Kansas City dentist, but had not envisioned this near-league wide involvement.

"In lieu of a case Mr. Busch saw on the news about a boy in Baltimore complaining about toothache, who got an infection and actually died from cardiac arrest, he wanted to do something," Colquitt told 247Sports. "He had been reading clips of my rookie year, kind of had seen my dental background and that we already had some children's charity involvement that he thought could help but not take away from it. So we launched and this is our 10th-year anniversary. We're now in 26 of the 32 NFL cities, and we've added Fresno (Calif.) and Knoxville."

On this day tucked beneath Neyland Stadium, Team Smile volunteers — Colquitt estimated nearly 20 East Tennessee dental practices helped out — provided free dental care to nearly 175 area youth. A typical session, which in larger cities routinely draws 300-400 kids, results in $250,000 in free care.

Still, Colquitt and wife — parents to five children — want to continue growing the program. Even into rival territories.

"I thought that it definitely had legs and could be something huge; dentistry is one of those kind of extra things that you can do if you can afford it, and it so oftentimes gets overlooked," Colquitt said. "I felt that if we were providing a free service for families that would consider dentistry an extra add-on thing that this could be very successful in every NFL community and college town because of the draw sports has in America. I just thought, 'Yeah, this sounds good in Kansas City.' There was no goal of let's get in all NFL cities till we got in the 10th and said we could do the whole NFL. Once it caught fire, that's when we realized people love it and are appreciative."

Which is why the Team Smile program is forging further into SEC territory: Athens, Ga.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Louis Murphy

A Night in the Museum

QuoteFormer Florida wide receivers Louis Murphy and Deonte Thompson may have a bond, as Murphy was in the wedding party for Thompson's wedding last weekend.

Murphy awoke the next morning trapped alone in the Flagler Museum, which was where Thompson's wedding was held the night before.

According to another report by Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times, Murphy had too much to drink at the reception and fell asleep in the museum's courtyard. Everything was locked up and everyone was gone when he woke up.

Murphy decided to bust his way out of the facility.

"This was really just a series of small unfortunate circumstances. With no one around, my only option was to break a small glass pane of the door in order to access a phone and call for help. I dialed the police and explained that I needed assistance. It's unfortunate that I needed to break the glass, but the police officers on the scene and museum staff acknowledged that I didn't have many other options. I'm working with the museum to ensure everything is properly handled."

jbcarol

... Nate Northington, Greg Page, Houston Hogg, and Wilbur Hackett Jr.

In the winter of 1965, Louisville native Nate Northington and Middlesboro's Greg Page became the first African-Americans to sign football scholarships with the University of Kentucky. In September 1967, Nate Northington integrated SEC Football when he played three minutes of game action against Ole Miss. Those three short minutes were momentous, but accompanied by tragedy. The night before, his teammate and friend Greg Page tragically passed away due to injuries sustained in a practice 38 days prior.

QuoteNate Northington eventually transferred to Western Kentucky. Prior to his exit, he convinced his African-American teammates Houston Hogg and Wilbur Hackett to stay at UK and to finish what he and Page had started. History was made again as Hogg and Hackett were the first two African-American athletes in the SEC to complete their eligibility. The trailblazing continued in 1969 when Wilbur Hackett became the SEC's first African-American team captain in any sport.

In September, the University of Kentucky will unveil a statue honoring the foursome. The block and mortar figure will be located at Commonwealth Stadium...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMxk3QPtdBc

jbcarol

... Andrew Harrison

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/752177943342833664

QuoteAfter falling to the 44th pick in the 2015 draft and fighting his way out of the NBA Development League, guard Andrew Harrison has emerged with some staying power in the NBA.

Harrison has agreed to a three-year, $3 million deal with the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources told The Vertical.

The deal includes a partial guarantee on the third season.

Harrison was a star at the University of Kentucky with his twin brother, Aaron, who plays for the Charlotte Hornets.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Andrew Zow

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/752294404266790912

QuoteAndrew Zow played quarterback under coach Mike DuBose from 1998-2001, and led the Crimson Tide to an SEC Championship in 1999. Zow's career at Alabama had its fair share of ups and downs, but there's no question he has now found his calling as a high school football coach.

jbcarol

... Former LSU DT signee Trey Lealaimatafao

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/752605519940980736

Quoteformer LSU football player pleaded no contest on Friday to felony charges and was sentenced to six years in state prison, according to mynewsla.com. Lealaimatafao, 19, entered his plea to a pair of second-degree robbery counts and one carjacking count.

The Texas native never played a down for LSU, finding off-the-field trouble three times during his freshman season in 2014. The defensive tackle punched through a window in the team's weight room and was arrested twice: for allegedly stealing a bicycle outside of LSU's Middleton Library and for simple battery and simple robbery.

The latter led to his dismissal from the program last June. He transferred to Arizona Western, a junior college, before he and a former Southern Cal football player were arrested in January for a string of robberies around the Los Angeles area.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Marion Campell

QuoteFormer Georgia defensive tackle Marion Campbell, who went on to a playing career in the NFL and later became head coach of the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles, has died at age 87 in Plano.

Campbell was an All-SEC pick in each of his three seasons with the team (1949-51), then was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in 1952. He spent two years in San Francisco before being traded to the Eagles, spending six seasons in Philadelphia where he came an All-Pro and won the 1960 NFL title before later beginning a coaching career.

Campbell had a hand in working with some of the greatest defensive lines in NFL history, guiding the Minnesota Vikings "Purple People Eaters" and coaching the Los Angeles Rams' "Fearsome Foursome" in the 1960s.

As a defensive coordinator with the Eagles, he helped lead the team to Super Bowl XV, then became the team's head coach in 1983 after Dick Vermeil resigned.

Campbell had two stints as Falcons head coach, serving in that role from 1974-76 and 1987-89.

He ended his coaching career at his alma mater in 1994, serving as defensive coordinator.

jbcarol

... Kenny "Trill" Hill

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/755101755936047104

QuoteArkansas travels to face TCU in a huge Week 2 non-conference clash on Sept. 10.

The Horned Frogs return loads of talented, experienced players on defense, but it's anyone's guess as to who will replace Trevone Boykin behind center in TCU's high-powered offense.

TCU coach Gary Patterson didn't provide any clarity [nor will he.]

Hill, of course, is the former Texas A&M signal caller who generated some Heisman Trophy buzz early in the 2014 season. Known then by the nickname "Kenny Trill," Hill threw three touchdown passes in the fourth quarter and overtime of A&M's 35-28 win over Arkansas on Sept. 27, 2014.

After he lost Texas A&M's starting job to true freshman Kyle Allen later that season, Hill transferred to TCU and sat out last season, per NCAA rules.

Even though he hasn't won the TCU job just yet, Big 12 media representatives voted Hill as the preseason Big 12 Newcomer of the Year.

Sawyer, for his part, has appeared in four career games, completing 11 of 27 pass attempts for 155 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions.

jbcarol

...Ken Stabler and Henry Aaron meeting

QuoteTwo of Alabama's all-time greatest athletes crossed paths in Birmingham one April day in 1974.

Historic Rickwood Field was the scene of an exhibition baseball game between the Atlanta Braves and Baltimore Orioles on April 2 of that year. Hank Aaron was on the field with the Braves, while Ken Stabler was among more than 9,000 spectators crammed into the stands.

Aaron, then 40, was mere days away from breaking baseball's most hallowed record. The Mobile native tied Babe Ruth with home run No. 714 in Cincinnati two days later, then blasted record-breaking No. 715 in Atlanta on April 8.

The 28-year-old Stabler had recently made some news of his own. After seven seasons with the NFL's Oakland Raiders, the "Snake" announced that he would jump to the Birmingham Americans of the upstart World Football League in 1976 once his Raiders contract expired.

Aaron was honored on the field prior to the game, receiving proclamations from Birmingham mayor George Seibels and governor George Wallace.

Stabler joined Aaron for his press conference prior to the game.

Stabler never got the chance to play professionally in his home state. The WFL folded in mid-season 1975, and Stabler ended up staying with the Raiders until he was traded to the Houston Oilers in 1979.

The 1974 season turned out to be among Stabler's best as a pro, as he passed for a league-best 26 touchdowns and won NFL MVP honors. Two years later, he led the Raiders to their first Super Bowl championship.

jbcarol

... Zeke Smith

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/756604081779646464

QuoteFormer Auburn offensive lineman and linebacker Zeke Smith, the namesake for the program's Defensive Player of the Year award, passed away on Friday, the school announced.

Smith, 79, won the Outland Trophy in 1958 as the nation's top interior lineman...

A former fullback, the Uniontown native was a consensus All-American in 1958 and was recognized as such for a second time in 1959 by the AFCA and Sporting News.

Smith was ranked No. 85 in AL.com's list of Alabama's greatest 100 football players.

jbcarol

... Jordy Hultberg

Former LSU basketball player Jordy Hultberg arrested on charges of domestic abuse battery and simple battery, according to East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office jail records

QuoteJordy Hultberg was a four-year letter winner for the Tigers (1975-80) and now has his own radio show with 103.7 The Game in Lafayette, La.

jbcarol

... Captain Munnerlyn

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/757033892897579008

QuoteFor the seventh time, Captain Munnerlyn gathered on a football field full of youngsters at Murphy High School for a free camp on Saturday.

"I can't believe it. This is my seventh annual camp," Munnerlyn said. "I've been in the NFL going on eight years – this is my eighth season. It's definitely and truly a blessing just to come back to my hometown and give back to the community..."

A football and track standout while at Murphy, Munnerlyn is a cornerback for the Minnesota Vikings. His NFL career started with the Carolina Panthers in 2009 as a seventh-round draft choice out of South Carolina.

Munnerlyn's football camp carries a message.

"Just to let them know that anything is possible," Munnerlyn said of what he hoped the youngsters would carry away from the football camp. "Anything is possible. I was a seventh-round pick. Wasn't supposed to make the team. Ended up becoming an NFL starter, going on eight years now in the league. Just let them know that even if you're from Mobile, Alabama, anything is possible. A small-town kid from Mobile, Alabama, I'm still out here working, still in the NFL, still getting better each and every day."

Before the campers started their drills on the Murphy practice field, Munnerlyn addressed the youngsters, who'd already been told that they needed to do three things in their lives: Keep God first, obey their parents and control their environment.

"I know I don't look like the biggest guy in the world, but I'm in the NFL," Munnerlyn told the youngsters. "It took a lot of hard work and dedication.

"My father was murdered when I was 6 years old. I could have used that as an excuse, but I used it as motivation. ... I'm here to tell you that anything is possible. I'm 5-9, 195 pounds – I need to lose a few pounds before training camp – and I'm in the NFL, a starting cornerback for the Minnesota Vikings."

Munnerlyn is scheduled to report for training camp at Minnesota State University-

jbcarol

... Christian Laettner

Duke All-American (and UK villain) Christian Laettner has been given an extension on when he must respond to the allegation that he owes about $14 million in debts

QuoteThe extension was granted last week by the U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina.

Laettner must respond by Aug. 20, the court ruled.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on July 23, 2016, 11:10:18 pm
... Jordy Hultberg

Former LSU basketball player Jordy Hultberg arrested on charges of domestic abuse battery and simple battery, according to East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office jail records

https://twitter.com/theadvocateno/status/756985763238141952

QuoteA sports radio show host and former LSU basketball player shoved his wife into a dresser when she caught him with another woman, leading to his arrest early Saturday, according to the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office.

Jordy Hultberg, 59, is accused of pushing his wife into a dresser when she went to Hultberg's house late Friday night to check on him because her daughter was worried about his well-being, according to a Sheriff's Office report.

The woman, who was accompanied by her cousin, walked into a bedroom of Hultberg's house and found him with another woman, the report says.

Hultberg and his wife are "currently going through a divorce," according to the report.

After the woman who'd been with Hultberg ran to a bathroom, he pushed his wife into a dresser, the report says, "forcibly kissing her" and shouting "You still want me don't you!"

A deputy noted in the report that Hultberg's estranged wife, whose pajamas were torn in the encounter, had redness under her ears, an abrasion on her elbow and a possible bruise on her temple.

When questioned about the incident, Hultberg told a deputy "he did put his hands on the victim but only to put her out of the residence."

Hultberg also pushed the woman's cousin out of the house, the report says. The deputy wrote in the report that he didn't see any signs of injuries on the cousin.

Hultberg hosts a radio show on 103.7 FM "The Game" in Lafayette. He previously was the sideline reporter for the LSU Sports Radio Network and the Cox Sports Television Network during football games.

Hultberg was booked into Parish Prison...

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on July 24, 2016, 08:12:58 am
https://twitter.com/theadvocateno/status/756985763238141952

Per NOLA.com's Ron Higgins, Shannon Hultberg posted the following note on her Facebook page:

Quote"I know many of you have seen and heard reports concerning Jordy and myself. I have received many texts and FB messages. I sincerely apologize for not responding personally to each. I will read each one soon. I cannot express in words how much I appreciate the outpouring of concern, love and kindness. To say I am physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted does not begin to touch how I feel. As many of you know, Jordy and I were married for 14 years and have two young daughters.

"Our daughters are having a VERY difficult time especially since I have had to talk to them regarding some of what has happened and what they may hear one day. We have been blessed with children that are healthy, smart, beautiful, and kind hearted. But they are also extremely sensitive little girls. My family has come into town to support my girls and I through this very difficult time. We have had very little sleep and are not functioning well to say the least.

"I would like to say, we love Jordy and ALWAYS will. Jordy IS a good person who has made mistakes. But, I know he is overwhelmingly remorseful and regretful for all of his actions.

"For some time but especially now, I have thought about leaving Baton Rouge so my children could have a fresh start but we love our St. George School Family and we love our Baton Rouge Community. I was born, raised, educated and made my adult home here. I pray with all my heart, and especially after the outpouring of love from people that my children and I can continue to live here and be happy. We obviously have a long road ahead of us.

"Thank each one of you for your messages of support and concern. Words alone can not express my sincere appreciation. I would be humbled and thankful for your prayers for our family."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/757947243886473217

QuoteThe former Auburn standout didn't participate in the Rams' offseason program. Los Angeles coach Jeff Fisher said Mason was excused for "personal reasons."

Mason's absence followed his arrest during a traffic stop on March 5 in Hollywood, Fla., during which he was tased twice by police.

The calendar call for Mason's trial on the charges stemming from the traffic stop is scheduled for Thursday, according to the Broward County Clerk of Courts web site. A calendar call is when the parties (or their lawyers) involved in a case tell the court if they are ready to proceed to trial. If they are, the court sets a date.

Adding to the questions surrounding Mason's availability for training camp is a TMZ Sports report on Tuesday that said the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office had been called to Mason's family home five times since March 28, including on Saturday.

Sheriff's office records indicate Mason was not arrested during any of the visits. The report said Mason's family is "concerned about his mental health" because of "bizarre behavior and angry outbursts."

During a press conference in June, Fisher said of Mason's status with the team: "In our minds, we just have to prepare ourselves that Tre's not going to be here."

Mason was arrested on March 5 after a traffic stop. According to the police report, Mason would not identify himself after being pulled over for going 75 mph in a 35-mph zone, and he would not get out his car when asked to do so. A Taser was used to remove Mason from his car, and he was tased again before being taken to a hospital.

Mason was charged with four misdemeanors -- resisting an officer/obstruction without violence, reckless driving, failure to register a motor vehicle and possession of marijuana in an amount less than 20 grams. Mason also was cited for failure to yield the right of way to an emergency vehicle.

An arrest warrant was issued for Mason when he was not present for his arraignment on April 11.

jbcarol

... Tyrone Prothro

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/758453186814418944

QuoteTyrone Prothro's chances of making it in the NFL as a wide receiver and kick returner ended on Oct. 1, 2005. That's when he suffered a compound fracture in his lower left leg, a ghastly injury that has been followed by 11 surgeries.

Eleven years later, the former Alabama standout is joining the NFL as an offensive intern on the coaching staff of the Carolina Panthers. Carolina's offensive coordinator is Mike Shula, who was the head coach of the Crimson Tide during Prothro's three seasons at Alabama.

Prothro suffered his career-ending injury during No. 15 Alabama's 31-3 rout of No. 5 Florida in an SEC showdown. He caught an 88-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Brodie Croyle in the game.

Prothro was trying to pull down a fourth-down pass in the end zone with a little less than nine minutes left against the Gators when he was hurt.

Prothro won the 2006 ESPY Award for Best Play for a reception in Alabama's 30-21 victory over Southern Miss on Sept. 10. Prothro caught a fourth-and-12 pass by snagging the ball behind the back of Golden Eagles defensive back Jasper Faulk for a 42-yard gain. The catch sparked an Alabama comeback from a 21-10 deficit.

jbcarol

... Kadeem Jack

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 17m17 minutes ago Manhattan, NY

Former Rutgers F Kadeem Jack has agreed to terms & will play for Hitachi Club in Japan, per his Agent @bjbass2 of RBA Sports

jbcarol

... Aldon Smith

Thirty Mile Zone: Former Missouri Tiger Aldon Smith has entered a treatment center

QuoteSmith has been to rehab before -- completing a stint in 2013 following two DUI arrests. 

jbcarol

... Antonio Armstrong

Former Texas A&M linebacker Antonio Armstrong is reportedly in critical condition after being shot by his son early Friday morning

QuoteHis wife, Dawn Armstrong, was reportedly found dead at the scene after being shot by the couple's 16-year-old son in their bedroom. The couple also has a daughter that was reported to be at the scene but OK.

The teen has been charged with murder.

Detective Jimmy Dotson: "The male in the family was an absolute hard-working breadwinner. He's an associate pastor at a church in the area. The mother was apparently a great mother."

Armstrong was an All-American at Texas A&M during his senior year in 1994.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Kevin Turner and Kerry Goode

Heartbreaking tale of 2 Alabama RBs

QuoteLong before Kevin Turner's brave final months, he was a symbol of Alabama football's by-gone era.

Every play ended with a pop. Fullback, meet linebacker.

His rugged playing style reflected the no-frills Legion Field of the late 1980s and early 90s. Alabama ran straight into the teeth of defenses -- forget the window dressing. This was the old-fashioned style fit for running backs such as Turner, Martin Houston and Kerry Goode.

"I call myself the sandwich guy between Kerry Goode and Kevin Turner," Houston said. "Kerry Goode graduated and I got his number and Kevin Turner was the heir apparent and we spent our four seasons together."

While Goode and Turner went on to NFL careers, Houston settled in Tuscaloosa where he is an insurance agent and hosts a morning radio show.

Goode has ALS.

Turner did too. He died in March.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Tre Mason

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/760816462483382272

QuoteRams haven't heard from the former Auburn running back for seven months.

"Right now, we're more concerned with Tre Mason's well-being than we are his football career," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said.

It's been a troubling few months for Mason, who was arrested in March on charges of reckless driving, marijuana possession and resisting arrest. According to a report from Thirty Mile Zone, police have been called to Mason's home five times in the last four months since the arrest, and Mason's family is concerned for the running back's mental health.

Mason was the 2013 SEC Offensive Player of the Year after rushing for 1,816 yards and 23 touchdowns for an Auburn in 2013.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on August 03, 2016, 07:45:04 am
... Tre Mason

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/760816462483382272

Police report says former Auburn RB Tre Mason admitted to hospital

QuoteA police report from July says that he was admitted to a hospital and was "unable to make decisions for himself."

Per a police report obtained by ESPN, Mason's mother placed a call to Palm Beach Sheriff's office and told them her son was "acting unusual and making irrational statements."

One of the statements, per the report, was that, "the police were responsible for teaching al-Qaida how to fly planes."

Police observed that a lamp and vase in the house had been broken and that a hole had been punched in the wall of Mason's bedroom. Police decided that the former Auburn running back was not "fit to make his own decisions" and was admitted to a hospital for observation.

jbcarol

... Jerrell Powe

JP Finlay@JPFinlayCSN

Jerrell Powe will miss a week with a procedure for heart arrhythmia. Could be 10 days, but unlikely to be more, Gruden says

jbcarol

... Trent Richardson's money

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/761538510356701184

QuoteOn March 12, 2015, the Indianapolis Colts released running back Trent Richardson. Seven months later, after being cut by the Oakland Raiders at the end of training camp and without an NFL team for the 2015 season, the former Alabama All-American took a close look at his finances for the first time.

What he found, among other things: 11 Netflix and eight Hulu accounts in his name. Bottle service in his name at clubs, even though Richardson doesn't drink. All told, Richardson told ESPN's Shelley Smith for the "E:60" show that aired on Thursday night, family and friends spent $1.6 million of his money from January to October in 2015.

Missing the Bag Man
"I finally just looked at my bank statement, and I was just like, 'Where did this come from? Where did that come from?'" Richardson said. "And my guy was sitting there telling me, 'Man, we was telling you.' I know he was telling me, but that's just like telling a kid to stop running in the hall. They're going to still do it when you turn your back or you leave. It's just one of them moments to where I was just blinded by my heart, by loving everybody and thinking that everyone was for me. I know they love me. I know they do care. But at the time, they took advantage of it."

Richardson signed a guaranteed contract worth $20,489,796 with Cleveland after the Browns selected him with the third pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. He headed to Cleveland with his brother, mother, children, girlfriend, cousins and a friend.

Out of football and taking a hard look at his finances for the first time, Richardson said he tightened his circle after his financial review, including taking his brother Terrell, getting $100,000 a year as a personal assistant, off the payroll.

"Ya'll are trying to live a lifestyle that I'm not even living," Richardson said he told his friends and relatives. "Ya'll are living the lifestyle that ya'll think I should be living."

Richardson said he was at fault for giving others access to his money and for sending along financial help to every friend and relative with a hard-luck story.

"He's such a good guy," Alabama coach Nick Saban told ESPN. "He's such a good person, and he wants to please everyone. And I think sometimes when guys have that personality, which is a great personality to have, it makes it very difficult to disappoint anyone with the word 'No.'"

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Takeo Spikes

Former Auburn linebacker Takeo Spikes is finally set to graduate Saturday at Auburn

QuoteSpikes, a former first-round draft pick, will walk the stage during commencement at Auburn Arena. He majored in liberal arts during his time with the Tigers in the mid-1990s.

Spikes led Auburn with 136 tackles during the Tigers' run to the SEC Championship Game in 1997 and was an All-American selection.

The two-time Pro Bowl selection finished his playing career with 1,423 tackles and 29 sacks during his 15-year career in the NFL.

jbcarol

... Pouncey twins

After a standout career for Florida and multiple pro bowls with the Miami Dolphins, center Mike Pouncey can add another line to his impressive resume.

Pouncey is now a college graduate.

The Miami Dolphins offensive lineman graduated from the University of Florida on Saturday morning.

QuoteAfter being an All-American and national champion at Florida, Pouncey was the No. 15 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. He has appeared in two pro bowls with the Dolphins and signed a $52 millions dollar contract in 2015.

Pouncey also has a twin brother of Pittsburgh Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey. Maurkice was selected the year before with the 18th pick in the 2010 draft.

https://twitter.com/KT_PlayerEngage/status/761886018144440320

jbcarol

... Art Demmas

https://twitter.com/MikeOrganWriter/status/762117294264688641

QuoteLegendary NFL referee Art Demmas, a Nashville resident and former Vanderbilt football standout, died Saturday. He was 82.

A hard-nosed lineman, Demmas was co-captain of the 1956 Vanderbilt football team. He earned All-SEC Third Team honors and was named to the Academic All-America Second Team.

Demmas helped lead the Commodores to the 1955 Gator Bowl and a 25-13 win over Auburn. It not only was Vanderbilt's first bowl game, but the only bowl the Commodores would play in until earning a berth in the Peach Bowl 19 years later.

After graduating from Vanderbilt, Demmas embarked on a long football officiating career. He started out in 1958 calling high school games and then moved to the SEC, where he officiated for eight seasons.

In 1967, Demmas made his debut in the NFL as an umpire and quickly became recognized as one of the top officials on the pro level.

From 1970 until he retired in 2006, Demmas was assigned to four Super Bowls ( (XIII, XVII, XXV, and XXVIII) and numerous playoff games. By the end of his career, he was one of the most decorated officials in NFL history.

By 1984, Demmas had become the NFL's senior umpire.

jbcarol

... Bill Dooley

Former Mississippi State lineman Bill Dooley died Tuesday morning of natural causes in Wilmington, North Carolina. He was 82.

QuoteDooley, a Mobile native, earned All-SEC honors in 1955 while playing for Mississippi State. Dooley played two years at MSU but remained in football after his time in Starkville.

Dooley is best known for coaching within the ACC. He spent 11 years at North Carolina(1967-77), the longest tenure of any coach in school history. He posted a 69-53-2 record. He also coached at Virginia Tech where he went 63-38-1 from 1978-86. He finished his coaching career at Wake Forest where he won 29 games in six seasons.

Vince Dooley's brother

jbcarol

... Tom Wilson

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/763410195791880192

QuoteFormer Texas A&M coach Tom Wilson passed away on Wednesday morning after a long battle with cancer, according to a release from the school.

Wilson, who was the head coach of the Aggies from 1978-81, was 72.

He posted a 21-19 record as the Texas A&M coach, with bowl wins in the Hall of Fame Classic and Independence Bowl.

Prior to getting into coaching, Wilson played quarterback at Texas Tech, graduating in 1966.

"I realized then that if I wanted to play football it would have to be as a quarterback," Wilson said, according to the release. "I was too slow to be a running back and not big enough to be a lineman. I had to play where I could think my way around."

According to the release, his wife, Daun, passed away in April of this year.

http://www.12thman.com/news/2016/8/10/former-am-head-football-coach-tom-wilson-passes-away.aspx

A man of faith, family and community, Wilson served in many capacities helping in the community.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Ronnie Brown

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 41s41 seconds ago

Former Auburn star RB Ronnie Brown taking role as school's sideline reporter  https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/former-auburn-star-rb-ronnie-brown-taking-role-as-schools-sideline-reporter

QuoteNo. 2 overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft has been hired by the Auburn Sports Network to be the school's sideline reporter. Brown replaces former Tigers linebacker Quentin Riggins, who held the role for 25 years.

Brown graduated with a degree in communications and took part in the NFL Broadcasters Boot Camp last year.

jbcarol

http://tshf.net/upcoming-events

A great honor for Manning

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams Aug 11

Gus Manning presented the first-ever ring to a member of the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame at his roast tonight.

jbcarol

... O.J. Fleming

https://twitter.com/AdamSparks/status/764531675024003073

QuoteO.J. Fleming sat on a motorized scooter just outside the Vanderbilt football locker room and tried in vain to hide his anguish and his joy.

His voice paused and his breath shortened when he spoke of his diminishing physical condition and "the depression that slips in" from a 14-year battle with multiple sclerosis.

But then Fleming's eyes widened as he looked down the hall he once walked as a Vanderbilt tight end, and an ear-to-ear grin grew across his face.

"I'm honestly getting a feeling of euphoria being here right now," Fleming said. "My endorphins are up, I guess you'd say. It's been so many years, but my spirit is high again."

Fleming, his wife Ellen and their three children visited Vanderbilt during preseason camp on Thursday, hoping to reconnect with the Commodores to counter the psychological toll the disease had dealt in recent years.

O.J. and Ellen first met as a player and an equipment manager for the Commodores in the mid-1990s, but neither had been in the football facility in 17 years. It was a visit long overdue for both.

"We have so many recollections here," Ellen said. "This is more animated than I have seen him in a long while."

Fleming played at Vanderbilt from 1995-98, earning three letters and serving as one of the bright spots on a struggling offense. For the past 17 years, he has been a teacher, administrator and football coach at Battle Ground Academy.

"I teach math and life," said Fleming...

jbcarol

... Gary Pinkel

QuoteAfter more than 40 years in the football coaching profession, former Missouri coach Gary Pinkel decided to retire at the end of the 2015 season.

Now, he's ready to start the next chapter of his professional life at 64 years old.

"Legendary Coach Gary Pinkel Leadership Chalk Talk" is the title of the advertisement, which promises to provide "lessons from the hyper-competitive, performance-focused world of major college football in building a winning culture, instilling teamwork, and leadership to maximize business success."

Pinkel finished out his career as a head coach with a 191-110-3 overall record, and won seven of the 11 bowls. He was named the 2014 SEC coach of the year after leading the Tigers to the second of back-to-back SEC East titles.

https://twitter.com/GaryPinkel/status/765677170622550016