Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ouch...

Started by Al Boarland, May 01, 2017, 08:08:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The Kig on May 01, 2017, 08:06:54 pm
Practice?  We talkin bout Practice?  C'mon man!  practice is designed to get players to consistently play at a high level.  The longer it takes get there,the more times you practice the same thing over and over. When you "get there" it's time to build depth.  Willing to bet Frank was engaged and "coaching" the whole time. 

My guess is many of those complaining about this will also be complaining about why RWIII was in the scrimmage.
I'm sure they will say something about RWIII. No doubt. But I say to them. Was RWIII in an actual scrimmage when his stinger occured :-\? I don't think they were tackling to the ground. That was just one of those freak things that can happen from time to time. I think they were just wrapping up if I'm not mistaken. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW if it's a wily veteran I really don't think it's a big deal. Ala Jared Cornelius. But that's JMO. Carry on...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

May 02, 2017, 07:40:56 am #51 Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:04:12 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Steef on May 02, 2017, 05:56:47 am
Did you at all pay attention to me being "on the fence"? Or just "purely debating"? I dont really about this topic's controversy one bit.

Wilson posed a hypothetical question. I gave a (very reasonable) hypothetical answer.

If you dont think muscle memory is important to an athlete, then you've never been an athlete.
I agree with your points about muscle memory. Especially when it comes to throwing a ball. But swinging a golf club, shooting a basketball, throwing a football or baseball, pitching a baseball, hell even hiking and snapping a football is totally different than blocking and being in the trenches.

Don't get me wrong all of them need reps over time to be at it's peak but muscle memory as a linemen is not as depended as the other examples I mentioned above. Especially when it comes with the physical wear and tear than can happen in football not to mention the higher probability of a freak injury occurring. The risk of more reps is not worth the risk of ending his career in a glorified scrimmage.

If he were to get hurt would you rather him get hurt in a game that matters or a scrimmage game? That is the question.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hobhog

I bet he doesn't  sit out our bowl game next year. Just sayin.

hawganatic

Quote from: jry04 on May 01, 2017, 08:20:44 am
For anyone who watched the spring practice Saturday, they reported how Ragnow dominated the 1 on 1 contact drills and none of the DLinemen could move him earlier in the week.

If he was that dominant in practice there is no reason for him to take contact in scrimmages.  He isn't going to get better because he doesn't have any competition, and the Dlineman aren't going to get better because they are just getting pushed down. 

hawganatic

Quote from: Steef on May 02, 2017, 05:56:47 am
Did you at all pay attention to me being "on the fence"? Or just "purely debating"? I dont really about this topic's controversy one bit.

Wilson posed a hypothetical question. I gave a (very reasonable) hypothetical answer.

If you dont think muscle memory is important to an athlete, then you've never been an athlete.

Think he was probably referring to the "it telegraphs to our opponents, who they should try to hurt" when he said you were reaching.  Pretty sure a Nick Saban, Ed Orgeron, etc...  can figure out who our best players are on their own...

Steef

Quote from: hawganatic on May 02, 2017, 08:58:03 am
Think he was probably referring to the "it telegraphs to our opponents, who they should try to hurt" when he said you were reaching.  Pretty sure a Nick Saban, Ed Orgeron, etc...  can figure out who our best players are on their own...

That's fair. Also possible. And a good reply to my post.

But... HE....didnt say that. You did.

His reply was insult-devoid-of-substance.

hawganatic

Quote from: Steef on May 02, 2017, 09:42:12 am

Yeah I agree.  Some people just aren't good at expressing their thoughts, assuming that is what his thoughts were...

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Steef on May 02, 2017, 09:42:12 am
That's fair. Also possible. And a good reply to my post.

But... HE....didnt say that. You did.

You're right. I was out of line and shouldn't have been posting following a terrible day. My apologies.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

phadedhawg

He's a senior and if he's earned the coaching staff's trust I won't question it. 

Steef

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 02, 2017, 06:41:43 pm
You're right. I was out of line and shouldn't have been posting following a terrible day. My apologies.

;)

whoopigLakeCity

Think its simple he really has nothing left to prove. Would have went first rd this draft

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on May 02, 2017, 05:43:48 am
I attended 11 of the 15 practices this spring in their entirety. Frank did everything in every drill, including team periods, with the exception of live play drills.  There were three live scrimmages and he was held out of those.  During the live drill periods he was a coach.  During position drills he was the #1 center and then watched and coached the younger lineman.  Clenin, Wagner, and Adcock got better this spring because Frank was in their ear all the time and in their face when he needed to be.  After each practice, after the team met with Coach Anderson for the review of the day, Frank took the Oline to the side and worked them for 5-10 minutes more to correct errors that he saw during the day. 

Frank was unanimous choice to be a captain for the team.  Others that will replace Frank in 2018 got vital reps. He came out of spring healthy.  He is the leader that teammates will look to when something goes wrong this fall.  That's what was missing last year.  The writer forms an opinion about what he thinks is best for this program.  I don't agree, but it's his opinion. I do think that someone who is not part of the program and doesn't know Frank Ragnow or the coaches intentions, has an uninformed opinion.  But again, uninformed opinions are what Hogville thrives upon.
First, I can't tell you how nice it is to have a poster who can actually say, with authority, what's really going on with the team. I'd say that pretty much settles the argument.

Question- There seems to be a much bigger emphasis on players coaching their teammates this year, which is awesome if true. Would you say that's accurate? If so, was this a decision made by the team, or did this come from above?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HogMantheIntruder

It makes perfect sense to me. We finally have a starting front five who all have starts and/or significant playing time under their belts. Now we need depth. If you were going to pick one player likely to live up to the hype this year, Ragnow is the surest bet on the team right now. KA and BB took advantage of that to give some other guys valuable reps, and it gave Ragnow a chance to establish himself as the leader while studying the intricacies of the position from a coaching standpoint and getting to know his team in the same way the coaches do.
Aside from QB, I don't think there is another position on the field where a deep understanding of the game is more vital than at center. Like I said, I think it's a luxury to be able to do this, especially at such a key position.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 01, 2017, 08:08:44 am
Cole Cubelic‏Verified account @colecubelic  18m18 minutes ago
More
"For a college offensive lineman to be held out of contact in the spring to protect him is just ridiculous"

- @geoffschwartz on @CubeShow

Didn't know much about this Schwartz guy, but apparently he spent a number of years in the NFL.  Everyone has an opinion, I suppose.

Geoff Schwartz Verified account
@geoffschwartz
8 year NFL Offensive Lineman | Host of The @BlockEmUp Podcast.

Bernie Madoff was on Wall Street since 1960 - would you take investment advice from him?
Houston Nutt was a CFB coach since 1983 - would you take football advice from him?
Nancy Pelosi has been in politics since 1990 - would you take political advice from her?

Do I need to keep going or have I made my point?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 01, 2017, 08:19:25 am
Yeah, it will be something to follow.  If he struggles this season you could make the case that sitting out the spring was a bad move.

And if he goes down during the season and his backup does well - you can case....
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

FANONTHEHILL

May 04, 2017, 03:54:49 pm #65 Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:08:52 am by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 04, 2017, 01:57:58 am
First, I can't tell you how nice it is to have a poster who can actually say, with authority, what's really going on with the team. I'd say that pretty much settles the argument.

Question- There seems to be a much bigger emphasis on players coaching their teammates this year, which is awesome if true. Would you say that's accurate? If so, was this a decision made by the team, or did this come from above?

Players definitely took more advanced roles this spring.  Whether that was a direct order from the coaches, or players choosing to take on those roles, I don't know.  I assume it's a little bit of both.  Guys did step forward.  Frank, Jared, and Austin were very obvious leaders.  On defense, K Rich and Dre took the leadership roles.  How much difference it will make is yet to be determined.  There's been lots of talk here and out in the press about mental toughness and let downs from last season.  You can't argue that.  It was the major issue last year.  At some point early next season, against FAMU, TCU, or A&M, there will be a big play that goes the other teams way.  What happens in the next five minutes after that play will determine if 2016 is behind them.  I know for a fact that the intensity level is higher.  The sense of family is higher.  Another thing that I think is a big help is the talk former players gave them last week.  Quinton Caver, Eddie Jackson, Brandon Holmes, and Ken Hamlin talked to them about being good guys, but being nasty on the field.  Playing with the same edge they had in their era.  They challenged the team to uphold the legacy of hard hitting Razorback football and it struck a chord with the team.  Leaders have stepped up, its just a matter of how the guys respond to adversity this fall.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 01, 2017, 10:58:29 am
I guess what constitutes garbage these days is well thought out, accurate opinions based on relevant data.  Feel free to take any of my posts you disagree with and show me where I am wrong or even could be wrong.  I'm not really familiar with your posts, so I won't throw any insults your way.

Al Boarland Esquire
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.