Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jamario bell and randy Ramsey

Started by snoop hawgy hawg, April 30, 2017, 05:04:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoop hawgy hawg

I think these two at hog and razor positions will give us a salty defense. The way bell almost picked that pass 10 feet out of the air showed me all i need to see, if he can rush the passer as good as he can cover. He might really cause some havoc.

Thoughts??

PorkRinds

They could both be great players. It'll be interesting to see how the defense as a whole performs but these newly created positions will be fun to watch develop.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Still not sure why he was at tight end when we were very deep there but needed all the athleticism we could get at DE and LB.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 30, 2017, 05:38:40 pm
Still not sure why he was at tight end when we were very deep there but needed all the athleticism we could get at DE and LB.

Because the staff said that his attitude and personality indicated that he might be better suited for the offense than the defense.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgmasta

Both of these guys have the measurables and athleticism to be upper tier guys, and if they can put it all together . . Watch Out!

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 30, 2017, 05:41:29 pm
Because the staff said that his attitude and personality indicated that he might be better suited for the offense than the defense.

Exactly. Bielema noted in a PC that he was not as physical as they wanted him to be at DE and they felt TE, where he played in HS (and was recruited by several colleges) could be a better fit.

factchecker

Because Jamario wanted to play tight end.

Article from when Jamario switched to tight end:

QuoteIt's better, Bell said, to be behind at the right spot then another year spent at maybe the wrong spot. For when he played both offense and defense for Junction City Coach David Carpenter, Bell said he most enjoyed offense.

"I really feel like I am back where I belong playing tight end," Bell said.  "I really wanted to play tight end here the whole time but they asked me to play defense and I did whatever they tell me, which was play defense. But I really like tight end."

http://www.eldoradonews.com/news/2016/aug/13/bell-enthusiastic-about-move-tight-end/

Quote by Coach Bielema describing how Bell was not excited about the switch back to defense:

QuoteBell has bounced from defensive end to linebacker to tight end and now back to linebacker.
"Put him at our outside linebacker, the Hog position," Bielema said. "He kind of looked at me at first, wasn't all that excited. Talked to him and mom. And he made the transition, probably as good a practice on Thursday as he's had in his career here. Just really excited about that move."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/22/red-white-game-be-ones-against-world/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Youngsta71701

Jamario bell and randy Ramsey...has a nice ring to it. :razorback:
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

HogMantheIntruder

The only thing I worry about is that Bell doesn't seem to enjoy a lot of contact. It makes me wonder if he'll have issues with a lack of aggression. If he can learn to enjoy hitting (or at least fake it), he should be a beast.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

PorkRinds

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 03, 2017, 03:15:04 pm
The only thing I worry about is that Bell doesn't seem to enjoy a lot of contact. It makes me wonder if he'll have issues with a lack of aggression. If he can learn to enjoy hitting (or at least fake it), he should be a beast.
What have you seen that makes it seem that way?  I mean, I know coach B said he wasn't aggressive enough for defense before he moved but other than that, what makes you say so?

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 03, 2017, 04:18:23 pm
What have you seen that makes it seem that way?  I mean, I know coach B said he wasn't aggressive enough for defense before he moved but other than that, what makes you say so?

Well, considering he hasn't really seen the field, Coach Bielema's comments are pretty much all we have to go off of. That's like saying, well, besides the only evidence that we have pointing to that being true, what makes you think that is true?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

biglewhog77

Can't wait to see them two in action

welchog

With 8 or so TEs on the roster, there should probably be another or two moved over. 

We need to work on our weaknesses, not pile up a bunch of players in a strength position.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 03, 2017, 04:18:23 pm
Short answer- nothing at all on the field. He has said to the coaches that he doesn't like hitting every play, or something to that effect. For all I know that was just saying that to stay on offense. I think he'll do well regardless, but to be an elite  LB, I think you need to have a bit of a nasty streak.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

The Kig

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 05, 2017, 08:30:57 amto be an elite  LB, you need to have a bit of a nasty streak.

Exactly.  The instinct to initiate contact, to seek it out, to relish in the crunch, to keep hitting until you see fear/quit in their eyes...can't be taught. 

Haven't seen anything one way or the other with Bell and will wait to see how all of our LBs play in the new scheme before assuming anything.   However, there is a very specific mentality necessary to be a good LB that goes beyond the X's & O's and physical ability.
Poker Porker

snoop hawgy hawg

Quote from: The Kig on May 05, 2017, 11:32:17 am
Exactly.  The instinct to initiate contact, to seek it out, to relish in the crunch, to keep hitting until you see fear/quit in their eyes...can't be taught. 

Haven't seen anything one way or the other with Bell and will wait to see how all of our LBs play in the new scheme before assuming anything.   However, there is a very specific mentality necessary to be a good LB that goes beyond the X's & O's and physical ability.
maybe bell just really had his heart set on playing TE, but I just know the first time he sacks the QB in a live game or picks off a pass...he will be hooked.

presidenthog

It never made sense, and the personality answer is pretty much dumb because it never materialized. His cieling is 10x higher on defense.

PorkRinds

Quote from: presidenthog on May 06, 2017, 02:14:43 am
It never made sense, and the personality answer is pretty much dumb because it never materialized. His cieling is 10x higher on defense.

It made perfect sense. Bell preferred playing tight end.

wildhogman

Quote from: The Kig on May 05, 2017, 11:32:17 am

I'd have to disagree with this. I think the defensive coaches under the Nutt had that mentality and passed it onto their players. Last night someone posted a link to highlights and as I was going back watching ancient history(1998 and 99... I did watch a lot more. 2006, 2010 and 11. Oh what could have been), I saw that defense make teams quit. They hit and hit some more. And I think the coaches gave them that mentality with words like code red and so on.  I read on here on night how Burns had the defensive players beat on the other teams locker room and yell code red before the game to intimidate.  THAT's what its missing.  Hopefully Rhoades is the type coach that ca instill that once more in our D

FANONTHEHILL

May 07, 2017, 06:04:50 am #19 Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 07:57:21 am by FANONTHEHILL
I like the dialogue between Kig and Wildhogman above.  Their opinions are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but I think they are both right.  There are some kids that simply just have it.  They have their entire lives.  The first time I saw Dre Greenlaw play football in the ninth grade for Ramay Junior High, you just knew, this kid has it.  Some players have to be cultivated and grown.  Randy Ramsey and Jamario Bell fall into that category. 

As far as how all this applies to the Razorback defense, time will tell.  Defense has to be hard hitting and aggressive.  It also has to be smart.  You have to know your assignments and give max effort every snap.  I simply don't think the team was there last year.  There is, and was, a lot of athleticism on the defense, but not following your keys and assignments will kill you.  Your can run a 4.5 forty, but if you have to stop and think, that pause turns your 4.5 into a 4.8 and you're beaten.  Combine that with a scheme where players are trying to do things that they physically can't do and the morale of the defense dissolves.  That is 2016 in a nutshell.  The best example of this is Ellis.  Solid player as a Mike if a 4-3 or ILB in a 3-4 (that's why the Patriots signed him, they run both) that was asked to play out of the box and chase slot receivers sideline to sideline.  Not his fault.  He was told it was his job.  When the captain and team leader can't lead with their play, the morale of the entire defense suffers.  When morale goes, quality of play dissolves.  That's why I'm so excited about Rhoads and the 3-4.  He is focused on technique and film study.  Most importantly, he wants the opponent on the ground.  He's a great teacher.  This all agrees with Wildhog.

But Kig is also right.  There is an instinct that some just have.  Like Dre I mentioned above.  Combine the teaching and technique of Rhoads, Hargreaves, Scott and Walker with killer instinct, and the defense will improve.  I was very excited when I heard about some of the Code Red era players returning to the area to talk to the team.  Quinton Caver, Eddie Jackson, Brandon Holmes, and Ken Hamlin had a great talk with the team.  They love the brotherhood, they love the sense of community, they love the good grades, but they reminded the team that just because you're nice off the field, you don't have to be on it.  From the word I'm getting, this struck a chord with the players.  They wouldn't be where they are, playing defense in the SEC, without showing on film at some point that they can lay the wood ( sorry for the HDN era terminology)  on someone.  They were reminded of this.  They will be better.

I'm not saying that there won't be breakdowns or big plays given up, that's just part of football.  I will say that it will make a difference this year when everyone on the defensive side is on the same page.  The guys that need to be taught, like Bell, to be more aggressive will feed off the ones that are already there.   The already aggressive players, like Dre, will go all out knowing that the scheme works and they can afford to take risks to make big plays because their teammates have their back. The players in the middle, like Ramsey, will evolve to the nest level. There is a DC they all believe in.  This is why the defense will be better in 2017 than 2016 and it's also why Hig and Wildhog are both right.  It just depends on which individual player you're talking about.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

RaisinHog

My thought on bell is this ... Every Friday night I watch 2a highschool football In Arkansas .. every Saturday I watch SEC football ... There is a hell of a gap between those 2 levels .. anyone who thinks any 2a player from Arkansas is Gona.waltz right in and be a Billy bad ass In.the SEC is probably.wrong there is just so much to learn from a speed and strength standpoint .. the bohannon kid will be the same way wherever he so.chooses to play

The Kig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on May 07, 2017, 06:04:50 am
I like the dialogue between Kig and Wildhogman above.  Their opinions are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but I think they are both right. 

Thanks FOTH and not really as far apart in thought.  Completely agree that scheme/playcalling is critical.  Personally,  I think that cost CRS his job.  No doubt that we had some talent issues, but players are going to run the play that is called.

We didn't always have the best talent with guys like Burns and Dunn either, but they schemed around it with aggressive calls bringing corners, safeties and LBs... and sometimes just bringing the house.  Defense feeds on emotion and a big sack or INT is like jet fuel.  One thing that was definitely missing in the last couple of years was aggressive calls with so few blitzes...which was confusing because it appeared that CRS was aggressive historically.   We squandered some actual talent on the D-line.

My point wasn't to infer that Bell and Ramsey... Or anyone on the D side doesn't have "it", more that we will find out.  In the past we have had some undersized LBs, like Bua and 'Butu, that had "it" and were something special to watch.  I do believe that CPR will put players in better position to make plays and on paper we have better physical measurables for a 3-4.  For a defense to be good, it takes a combination of coaching and talent.  To be great, it's more important that it have heart...and that tone is usually set at LB.  100% agree on Dre and we saw it early with him.  Maybe the new guys will too.

As good as our offense is the D doesn't have to be great, but I will never stop hoping for both.

Poker Porker

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: The Kig on May 07, 2017, 02:04:56 pm
Thanks FOTH and not really as far apart in thought.  Completely agree that scheme/playcalling is critical.  Personally,  I think that cost CRS his job.  No doubt that we had some talent issues, but players are going to run the play that is called.

We didn't always have the best talent with guys like Burns and Dunn either, but they schemed around it with aggressive calls bringing corners, safeties and LBs... and sometimes just bringing the house.  Defense feeds on emotion and a big sack or INT is like jet fuel.  One thing that was definitely missing in the last couple of years was aggressive calls with so few blitzes...which was confusing because it appeared that CRS was aggressive historically.   We squandered some actual talent on the D-line.

My point wasn't to infer that Bell and Ramsey... Or anyone on the D side doesn't have "it", more that we will find out.  In the past we have had some undersized LBs, like Bua and 'Butu, that had "it" and were something special to watch.  I do believe that CPR will put players in better position to make plays and on paper we have better physical measurables for a 3-4.  For a defense to be good, it takes a combination of coaching and talent.  To be great, it's more important that it have heart...and that tone is usually set at LB.  100% agree on Dre and we saw it early with him.  Maybe the new guys will too.

As good as our offense is the D doesn't have to be great, but I will never stop hoping for both.

I didn't think you were slighting any player at all.  You made excellent points.  Some guys just come ready to roll and some take a little time.  I also agree totally with regarding Smith.  I think defense is really about one thing.  Making the other team uncomfortable.  Last year we reacted to what he offense wanted to do.  When you don't have as many horses, that's even more critical.  I remember the old Burns Code Red with nine guys standing up at the line.  You had no idea where the pressure would come from.  The game has evolved and you won't see that now, but going to a 3-4 and running full blitz and zone blitz out of it is about as close as you can get these days.  I think the Michael Taylor move is a great example of this.  He is physically a fit for the HOG linebacker.  But Michael is a pass rusher.  He's a sptinter.  They moved him back to DE.  He starts five yards closer to the QB.  I talked at length with Michael's dad the week of the spring scrimmage (Michael rooms with my son).  He's happy to be back at end.  Quicker and shorter route to the ball.  The other guys may have better cover skills than Michael just based on more experience.  I think that will be the emphasis under Rhoads, pressure that limits the offense's options.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015