Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Why more Prospects will Skip Bowl Games"

Started by WilsonHog, April 30, 2017, 09:16:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/236866/2017-nfl-draft-takeaways-why-more-prospects-will-skip-bowl-games

"In truth, the only time a bowl game is important to a player's evaluation is when it represents a rare chance to see him play against better competition or a bigger conference. Otherwise, it is a financial risk absorbed by the player for the benefit of his school's coffers."

Hawghiggs

If you are a top draft prospect and not playing in the playoff. Why bother playing. Coaches should use lesser bowl games as a way to get back ups more playing time.

lakecityhog

Coaches play the best players because his fans EXPECT a WIN! Bowl Games are just another revenue stream for the schools and the BOWLS!!!

LZH

I know this is extreme, but imagine if Ryan Mallett had skipped the Sugar Bowl.....we'd have all lost our minds.

(I don't really disagree with the idea, btw)

LRRandy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 30, 2017, 09:35:45 am
If you are a top draft prospect and not playing in the playoff. Why bother playing. Coaches should use lesser bowl games as a way to get back ups more playing time.
the things that I read from players that played their bowl game was, one last time to play in the uniform with my brothers for my school. Many at that age feel bullet proof. I think it is certainly an individual decision. Injuries do happen in bowls (Smith @ Notre Dame) that cost players lots of dollars. I hate to see them not play but respect their decision not to. The bowls however are played to win. You play your best available players. The 15 bowl practices are where the backups get exoerience and gain traction for next year.
This is fun, isn't it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Some will. Especially running backs. But a lot of these kids have a lot to gain with a good bowl game

hobhog

Why play at all then? Once you know you are a high draft pick just quit. Quit on your teammates, coaches and fans.

And since you refuse to play, go ahead and reimburse the university for its scholarship.

BTW- can't you get insurance to protect yourself in case of injury these days?

LZH

Quote from: hobhog on April 30, 2017, 11:08:40 am

Yeah, but a kid lost about $2M of probable signing bonus $$$ because he dropped so far in the draft......and he had said policy.  (See the article).

WilsonHog

Quote from: hobhog on April 30, 2017, 11:08:40 am
Why play at all then? Once you know you are a high draft pick just quit. Quit on your teammates, coaches and fans.

And since you refuse to play, go ahead and reimburse the university for its scholarship.

Yes, and Jake Butt had insurance. After it paid off, the loss to him was still around $2 million.

lakecityhog

The other way to look at this is:
Is college football a D-League for the NFL or not?
If a kid takes a scholarship and commits to play for the TEAM should he honor that commitment or not?

Hawgar The Horrible

Personally, at a minimum I would still practice and dress out for the bowl game...ready to be called upon if needed. It's called appreciation.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

WilsonHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on April 30, 2017, 12:05:40 pm
If a kid takes a scholarship and commits to play for the TEAM should he honor that commitment or not?

"Should" he? Yeah, in the 1950s world of a man's word being his bond, he should.

However, especially when it comes to intercollegiate athletics, we no longer live in that world. Institutions don't honor contracts with coaches. Coaches don't honor contracts with institutions. Coaches swear to mom and pop that they will take care of their son, then leave when a better opportunity comes along. Coaches "encourage" players to find another place to play. Players transfer schools like changing their underwear.

Players skipping bowl games is just the latest iteration of it.

Let's say that McCaffrey had played in the Cardinal's bowl game against North Carolina, and they win by a couple more touchdowns instead of by two points. So what? Even if Stanford had lost, the impact of that loss would probably be minimal.

I understand a player deciding that they want to have one more opportunity to play with their college teammates. I also understand a player deciding that the personal risk for their own future isn't worth the benefit of participating in that game.

MissippHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 30, 2017, 09:16:40 am
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/236866/2017-nfl-draft-takeaways-why-more-prospects-will-skip-bowl-games

"In truth, the only time a bowl game is important to a player's evaluation is when it represents a rare chance to see him play against better competition or a bigger conference. Otherwise, it is a financial risk absorbed by the player for the benefit of his school's coffers."
At what point does it end though?  Will kids start shutting it down by the 9th game of the season once they've semi-secured their place in the draft?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: MissippHog on April 30, 2017, 01:19:14 pm
At what point does it end though?  Will kids start shutting it down by the 9th game of the season once they've semi-secured their place in the draft?
Yes see 4net and his "injury". Be interesting if we ever see a Bama player pull this on Saban.

LZH

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 30, 2017, 12:10:30 pm
"Should" he? Yeah, in the 1950s world of a man's word being his bond, he should.

However, especially when it comes to intercollegiate athletics, we no longer live in that world. Institutions don't honor contracts with coaches. Coaches don't honor contracts with institutions. Coaches swear to mom and pop that they will take care of their son, then leave when a better opportunity comes along. Coaches "encourage" players to find another place to play. Players transfer schools like changing their underwear.

Players skipping bowl games is just the latest iteration of it.

Let's say that McCaffrey had played in the Cardinal's bowl game against North Carolina, and they win by a couple more touchdowns instead of by two points. So what? Even if Stanford had lost, the impact of that loss would probably be minimal.

I understand a player deciding that they want to have one more opportunity to play with their college teammates. I also understand a player deciding that the personal risk for their own future isn't worth the benefit of participating in that game.

I've flip-flopped on paying players over the years (and yeah, maybe on a few other things).

"If a kid leaves school early for the NFL, the he should pay some of that schollie money back."

.....or, no it's

"College kids should get paid more than just pennies on the million dollars they make for their schools."

Complicated.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: LZH on April 30, 2017, 01:35:59 pm
I've flip-flopped on paying players over the years (and yeah, maybe on a few other things).

"If a kid leaves school early for the NFL, the he should pay some of that schollie money back."

.....or, no it's

"College kids should get paid more than just pennies on the million dollars they make for their schools."

Complicated.
Who is going to quantify the dollar value of each player?

31to6

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 30, 2017, 09:16:40 am

The thing I really hate about this article, and indeed, that I hate about ESPN is that for them everything is analyzed in the context of the NFL and signing bonuses and pro careers. I really like NFL football. But I also really like College football. I am really sick of them calling the bowl games "meaningless" just because they don't path to the national championship. The bowl games I watch sure look like they matter to the players, coaches and their families. We know what "meaningless" football looks like: it is the Pro Bowl, with folks playing 2/3 speed an cracking jokes with each other (which is ok for what that game is, but it is not good football).

And I do NOT think it is good for the NFL to gut the magic of the college game. Football as a sport is already under enough pressure without the so-called fans and the sports media chipping away at it. (Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!)

As an individual decision I think play or not play is up to the player, the coaches and the team to work out. I won't call any one player selfish because I don't know their situation. But mostly, it seems selfish to me to leave your team hanging when they are going to be out there putting it all on the line for each other.

What if 1/3 of the LSU starting 22 decides not to play to preserve their draft status? What kind of mockery would that make of the bowl game? *That* is the path to meaninglessness and *that* is how football at all levels dies another little death.

LZH

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 30, 2017, 01:46:13 pm
Who is going to quantify the dollar value of each player?

I wouldn't presume to have any idea.  Maybe they all get the same, I dunno.  Then, what about walk-ons?  Or, what about golfers and high-jumpers?  Men's BB players get more than the women's?

It's too much for me.  I am not necessarily all for the idea of paying them, but I understand the argument.

Skipping the bowl did not hurt Fornette or McCaffrey at all. But playing did hurt Butt and J. Smith from ND. This is going to become very common for sure fire first rounders.

hogsanity

Bowl games, except the 3 playoff games, are MEANINGLESS.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogHomer

Quote from: hogsanity on April 30, 2017, 07:50:21 pm
It's only meaningless to the 1 percent of college players that get drafted and don't want to play but for the rest of the players it's a chance at maybe one of their greatest moments in life. The players should be allowed to protect themselves by not playing in bowl games. But let's stop calling them meaningless bowl games because to so many players those games are the last time they will ever play.

It's a selfish decision to protect yourself but why is that a bad thing. They are trying to limit any outside factors that could stop them from getting to the league. Be selfish look after your own if that is what you want if not then help your teammates win a bowl game.

hobhog

Couldn't disagree more.

People sure seem to get pretty upset or excited for Hog bowl games.

HiggiePiggy

Because it is the last game we get to watch for awhile. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogsanity

Quote from: HogHomer on April 30, 2017, 08:09:44 pm

It's only meaningless to the 1 percent of college players that get drafted and don't want to play but for the rest of the players it's a chance at maybe one of their greatest moments in life. The players should be allowed to protect themselves by not playing in bowl games. But let's stop calling them meaningless bowl games because to so many players those games are the last time they will ever play.

It's a selfish decision to protect yourself but why is that a bad thing. They are trying to limit any outside factors that could stop them from getting to the league. Be selfish look after your own if that is what you want if not then help your teammates win a bowl game.

The games do not produce titles, win conferences, etc. They produce revenue for leagues/schools and cities. I do not blame any of the players for not playing in them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tejano Jawg

Injury will always set you back, not matter WHEN it is. Sure, TE Jake Butt got hurt in the Orange Bowl—his last game—and it cost him several rounds. But so did our Jonathan Williams, his injury right before the season cost him too (and us, by the way).

I wonder why bowl games are singled out by these guys? Just because they're the last game? Why does the danger increase so much then?

If a team is eliminated from the chance of winning their conference, and a shot at the playoffs, isn't the rest of the season irrelevant—by this thinking—to a potential first-round pick? What if that's 3-quarters the way through the season? Why would a kid who'd want to skip a bowl game, not also want to sit out the last 2 or 3 (maybe more) games of the regular season?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hobhog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 30, 2017, 08:14:47 pm
The games do not produce titles, win conferences, etc. They produce revenue for leagues/schools and cities. I do not blame any of the players for not playing in them.

So what are your thoughts on playing games after you have been eliminated from conference championship?  Just quit and go home? According to your line of reasoning there is no title, championship, ect to play for so what's the point, right?

Some people just don't have pride or competitive spirits I guess. Just take your ball and go home...

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hobhog on April 30, 2017, 08:23:40 pm
So what are your thoughts on playing games after you have been eliminated from conference championship?  Just quit and go home? According to your line of reasoning there is no title, championship, ect to play for so what's the point, right?

Some people just don't have pride or competitive spirits I guess. Just take your ball and go home...

Players quit on a regular season could do more harm to themselves in the draft than taking off a bowl game.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

daBoar

There is a chance that we won't have CFB as we know it today in 10 years.  Much is changing in our society very fast; around my community the rage is lacrosse, it was invisible 10 years ago.

MuskogeeHogFan

May 01, 2017, 07:00:31 am #28 Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:20:50 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: 31to6 on April 30, 2017, 01:53:09 pm
The thing I really hate about this article, and indeed, that I hate about ESPN is that for them everything is analyzed in the context of the NFL and signing bonuses and pro careers. I really like NFL football. But I also really like College football. I am really sick of them calling the bowl games "meaningless" just because they don't path to the national championship. The bowl games I watch sure look like they matter to the players, coaches and their families. We know what "meaningless" football looks like: it is the Pro Bowl, with folks playing 2/3 speed an cracking jokes with each other (which is ok for what that game is, but it is not good football).

And I do NOT think it is good for the NFL to gut the magic of the college game. Football as a sport is already under enough pressure without the so-called fans and the sports media chipping away at it. (Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!)

As an individual decision I think play or not play is up to the player, the coaches and the team to work out. I won't call any one player selfish because I don't know their situation. But mostly, it seems selfish to me to leave your team hanging when they are going to be out there putting it all on the line for each other.

What if 1/3 of the LSU starting 22 decides not to play to preserve their draft status? What kind of mockery would that make of the bowl game? *That* is the path to meaninglessness and *that* is how football at all levels dies another little death.

I agree with this. I also want to try to understand the perspective of some of the players as well. Many young men see this opportunity (the NFL) as a way of finally being able to take care of and give back to their families and they don't want to risk injury in a bowl game or an all star/Senior Bowl game. I can understand that. But there is also the developed camaraderie and team mentality that has been built during the time that they played with their team mates at their school, and for many, that has to gnaw at them when making a difficult decision like this.

It would be a lot easier for many of these young men if their HC's would just say, "You have done enough, skip this game and protect yourself." But I doubt that you will see many (if any) HC's say that because they very much care about the outcome of a bowl game.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lakecityhog on April 30, 2017, 09:41:12 am
Coaches play the best players because his fans EXPECT a WIN! Bowl Games are just another revenue stream for the schools and the BOWLS!!!

Only at the really big bowls do schools MAKE money for a bowl game. They receive revenue but then spend it all and more for going to the bowl most of the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lakecityhog on April 30, 2017, 12:05:40 pm

Depends on the individual player. For a HUGE majority it is not.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorWhacker

There it is! The answer!

Expand the playoffs to 64 teams. Now all the post season games mean something.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Karma on April 30, 2017, 04:54:30 pm
Skipping the bowl did not hurt Fornette or McCaffrey at all. But playing did hurt Butt and J. Smith from ND. This is going to become very common for sure fire first rounders.
We won't have to worry about it much then. We have a sure first rounder about once every blue moon.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TNhawgfan

Quote from: LZH on April 30, 2017, 09:43:19 am
I know this is extreme, but imagine if Ryan Mallett had skipped the Sugar Bowl.....we'd have all lost our minds.

Heck yeah I would have lost my mind. There is a big difference in a top 10 pick like Fournette and a 3rd round pick. Now if DMac would have done it, I would have understood.

DeltaBoy

Well after 2-4 years of 3 hots and a cot from the College and the Education you have the opportunity to receive the least you can do is play in your last college game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

Simple fix.

Mandate that all healthy players have to appear in bowl games.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 01, 2017, 08:43:24 am
Simple fix.

Mandate that all healthy players have to appear in bowl games.

How do you do that if they are going to leave and go pro anyways?

hogcard1964

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 01, 2017, 09:00:58 am
How do you do that if they are going to leave and go pro anyways?

Write it into the funding/FAFSA.

hogsanity

Quote from: hobhog on April 30, 2017, 08:23:40 pm

Regular season games, even after being eliminated from conf title contention, do still impact which bowl you go to, which does impact revenue to the school/league. Also, playing regular season games, from a individual perspective, do still showcase your skills week after week. Once they get to a bowl, there is not alot left to see from players. 

But we already see this in pro sports all the time. Team is either locked into a playoff spot or eliminated from making it and guys get shut down all the time.

Pride and competitive spirit has nothing to do with guys making a business decision, imo.   

LZH

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 01, 2017, 07:47:56 am
Heck yeah I would have lost my mind. There is a big difference in a top 10 pick like Fournette and a 3rd round pick. Now if DMac would have done it, I would have understood.

Well the idea was - at the time Mallett had been getting alot of press as a Top 5 pick....and DMac was playing for an 8-4 team in the Cotton Bowl, not our first BCS Bowl.

hawganatic

I hate that players do this, but at the same time I absolutely don't blame them.

I'm not going to fault a college kid for doing what 99% of us in the real world do, and that's look out for ourselves and our families.

hawganatic

Quote from: LZH on May 01, 2017, 10:34:16 am
Well the idea was - at the time Mallett had been getting alot of press as a Top 5 pick....and DMac was playing for an 8-4 team in the Cotton Bowl, not our first BCS Bowl.

DMAC shouldn't have played in that game.  The coaching staff had already checked out and were just going through the motions.

LZH

Quote from: hawganatic on May 01, 2017, 10:36:59 am
DMAC shouldn't have played in that game.  The coaching staff had already checked out and were just going through the motions.

The whole team shoulda just stayed home.  As bad as a loss like Auburn last year stings and embarrasses, that one still hurts my stomach.  We chirped all week about SEC speed and how physical we were, etc.....then go out and get beat like a rented mule.  By Missouri.  Missouri.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hawganatic on May 01, 2017, 10:36:59 am
And he was almost hurt when a Mizzou player horse collared him on his first run on the game

Seebs

This started long ago with us with Shawn Andrews, and we still love him.  I look forward to the years when we have players good enough for this to be an option for.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

WilsonHog

One of ESPN's NFL guys, Adam Schefter, doubled down on the original piece today, saying, "It's time for the players to look out for themselves."

hogsanity

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 01, 2017, 02:18:54 pm
One of ESPN's NFL guys, Adam Schefter, doubled down on the original piece today, saying, "It's time for the players to look out for themselves."

He is not wrong. Plus, they actually start doing that while being recruited. They go to the school they think will best showcase them for the NFL. So why not, when they are being projected as a X rnd pick, shut it down?

bennyl08

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 01, 2017, 07:19:57 am
Depends on the individual player. For a HUGE majority it is not.

Do most players in the other developmental leagues go on to the big leagues? If not, then the fact that most college players don't get drafted wouldn't exclude college ball from effectively being a D-league.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

sickboy

Sorry, if I was a potential top draft pick, I wouldn't risk it. You owe nobody anything when it comes to gambling your future financial earnings.

hawganatic

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 01, 2017, 01:10:59 pm
And he was almost hurt when a Mizzou player horse collared him on his first run on the game

Thought that was the Wisconsin game the year before, in the Capital One?