Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There's some pretty good cooks on here...tomato gravy, anyone made it??

Started by Boarcephus, February 14, 2015, 07:33:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Had a lady from Mississippi come in the other day and she was talking about how good her mamma's tomato gravy was when she was young.  Served it over cathead biscuits.  May have to try it just out of curiosity.   Found some fairly simple recipes and if nothing else, it's cheap to make.  May try it this weekend.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PEtrader

Is it just marinara?  Italian's call marinara gravy is why I ask.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Boarcephus

Quote from: PEtrader on February 14, 2015, 07:39:13 pm

Hey man, I don't know.  This lady came in and in the course of conversation, tomato gravy came up and I thought, never heard of it but I know a place where folks may have and it's on hogville!  I've found a couple recipes and its basically bacon grease, flour and tomatoes and I must say, has potential. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HawgWild

That's what they called it in the Sopranos.

TheJoeyBucketz

My grandmother makes a tomato gravy.

She cooks a pork shoulder covered in the oven with a can of tomato sauce poured over it. The drippings mixed with the tomato sauce are the base for the gravy.

If you do it right it comes out a creamy red color. Pretty good stuff, man.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

Boarcephus

This is the recipe I found and may try.....

1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
   1 small onion, chopped
   2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
   1/8 teaspoon salt
   Pinch pepper
   1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
   3 cups tomato juice

In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Cook onion in drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir over low heat until mixture is golden brown. Gradually add tomatoes and tomato juice; stir well. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 6-8 servings.

sounds interesting but still trying to decide if PEtrader isn't right all along.  ;)

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 15, 2015, 04:18:57 pm
This is the recipe I found and may try.....

1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
   1 small onion, chopped
   2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
   1/8 teaspoon salt
   Pinch pepper
   1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
   3 cups tomato juice

In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Cook onion in drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir over low heat until mixture is golden brown. Gradually add tomatoes and tomato juice; stir well. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 6-8 servings.

sounds interesting but still trying to decide if PEtrader isn't right all along.  ;)

Sounds decent, something to put over Meat Loaf
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on February 15, 2015, 06:08:17 pm
Sounds decent, something to put over Meat Loaf

I'm sure it would but I'm wondering how it goes for breakfast, like over biscuits or maybe a ham and cheese omelet.  This sucker is cheap to make and if I throw the whole thing out I haven't spend much. 

BTW BR, off the oysters from Fresh Market.  The ones we get from there come from Chesapeake Bay and they're full of those little oyster crabs and they're just really nauseating.  We're off the oysters till we can get gulf oysters.

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 15, 2015, 06:23:37 pm
I'm sure it would but I'm wondering how it goes for breakfast, like over biscuits or maybe a ham and cheese omelet.  This sucker is cheap to make and if I throw the whole thing out I haven't spend much. 

BTW BR, off the oysters from Fresh Market.  The ones we get from there come from Chesapeake Bay and they're full of those little oyster crabs and they're just really nauseating.  We're off the oysters till we can get gulf oysters.
Maybe a good omelet would work..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

theFlyingHog

Quote from: golf2day on February 15, 2015, 12:13:47 pm
My grandmother makes a tomato gravy.

She cooks a pork shoulder covered in the oven with a can of tomato sauce poured over it. The drippings mixed with the tomato sauce are the base for the gravy.

If you do it right it comes out a creamy red color. Pretty good stuff, man.
Your grandma made me fat on that stuff. Why you think I went to DeWitt every weekend??

Boarcephus

Quote from: Lord of the Styes on February 17, 2015, 04:45:16 pm
Oyster crabs?

Google them.  Nasty looking little suckers we found in the oysters we bought.  Said you don't find them in the oysters found in the gulf but are found in the oysters from the Chesapeake Bay area.

DeltaBoy

It pretty rare dish Boarcephus and I only seen it served 2 times once in Deep South Ark and in Central Louisiana.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Wanted to revisit this topic because I found a place that served it.  We stopped at Berry's south of Jackson, Ms on vacation last week and they brought out a sample of it served over biscuits.  It was just a flour gravy product that looked and tasted like tomatoes.  Really not bad but have no desire to make it because I'm not sure what I'd put it on.  So I've scratched that itch and it's on to a dish I saw on Bizarre Foods, Cioppino.  Real tomatoey fish stew dish served over pasta.  I'll have to make some changes because I'm not too hip on throwing whole clams, dungeness crab legs and mussels (which we don't really have access to) into it but I bet I could used scallops, shrimp and chopped clams and get the same effect. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 20, 2016, 06:01:12 am
Wanted to revisit this topic because I found a place that served it.  We stopped at Berry's south of Jackson, Ms on vacation last week and they brought out a sample of it served over biscuits.  It was just a flour gravy product that looked and tasted like tomatoes.  Really not bad but have no desire to make it because I'm not sure what I'd put it on.  So I've scratched that itch and it's on to a dish I saw on Bizarre Foods, Cioppino.  Real tomatoey fish stew dish served over pasta.  I'll have to make some changes because I'm not too hip on throwing whole clams, dungeness crab legs and mussels (which we don't really have access to) into it but I bet I could used scallops, shrimp and chopped clams and get the same effect. 

Thanks for the Update.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Boarcephus

rzrbkman

Its nothing like marinara. Its just another type of southern gravy as is red-eye gravy.

DeltaBoy

I made Red eye gravey last year during Thanksgiving break.  I fryed a large ham steak for the Family Breakfast and added salt , black pepper and a pinch of garlic plus some flour and milk.

rzrbkman

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 26, 2016, 02:43:54 pm
I made Red eye gravey last year during Thanksgiving break.  I fryed a large ham steak for the Family Breakfast and added salt , black pepper and a pinch of garlic plus some flour and milk.

You didn't add coffee? I've never had red eye gravy that didn't have coffee in it.

DeltaBoy

Nope I drank my coffee that morning but Grandma Simons always poured some coffee in her's

hoglady

My ex-father in law - farmer from Mississippi used to make tomato gravy all the time.
Basically made it like milk gravy but added fresh tomatoes to it.
Bacon grease, flour and milk - while cooking throw in some chopped up fresh tomatoes.
It was my favorite gravy.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DeltaBoy