Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Hog Zone, Jim Harris

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, October 03, 2017, 10:11:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SDZ_Hog

I think we should play ASU, UCA , ATU and Cummings Unit Arkansas Department of Corrections.

outlawhogeywells

If it ever gets to the point of playing a State. then the game still needs to be in Fayetteville.  All home games need to be in Fayetteville.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 04, 2017, 09:47:51 am
Who pays for War Memorial? Who keeps the gate an concession money? Why would UA give up a money game to play this one for basically free?

C'mon Hawg Marshal...Let's just say the game is scheduled at LRWMS both Universities would take part in paying for the venue and concessions will be divvied at "fair share".  We all know that the game is a pipe dream but there are (I believe ) more people state wide that would love to see this happen then there are folks who wouldn't.  Plus as I've seen in multiple posts about this, all revenue will stay in the state of Arkansas.  That's a win in my book.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on October 04, 2017, 09:57:45 am
C'mon Hawg Marshal...Let's just say the game is scheduled at LRWMS both Universities would take part in paying for the venue and concessions will be divvied at "fair share".  We all know that the game is a pipe dream but there are (I believe ) more people state wide that would love to see this happen then there are folks who wouldn't.  Plus as I've seen in multiple posts about this, all revenue will stay in the state of Arkansas.  That's a win in my book.
UA would lose a lot of money in this scenario and ASU would make more money than they usually do. Come on man!lol

ricepig

Quote from: JIHawg on October 04, 2017, 09:38:37 am
Here's the solution.  Offer to play them in Little Rock, but the UA doesn't pay them any money.  That way, both sides get what they want.  The UA saves around a million dollars not having to pay an opponent, which covers their loss playing once a year in LR.  State gets to play UA, which is what they want.

LR peoples get a significant game every year.  Everybody wins.

Why would you deny another 20,000+ the opportunity to watch the game?

gchamblee

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 04, 2017, 08:39:38 am
I don't see why some fans are so insecure about playing Arkansas State.

haha. insecure, ya thats it.

gchamblee

Quote from: jmark on October 04, 2017, 08:47:16 am
lets hear your good reasons why the UA should not play AState, ...anybody...

Their 70 fans are annoying without playing them. It will only get worse if we do.

gchamblee

Quote from: jmark on October 04, 2017, 08:55:10 am
your good reasons:
1. the UA is afraid they might loss to AState
2. it would be like playing our sister

Admit it. You need this game to validate your glorified junior college. I dont get why you guys think getting your asses kicked would somehow make you more legitimate.

Piggfoot

I have a good idea. Have them play in LR and not pay ASU. Have both teams split the rental. Have UofA donate the Million otherwise paid to rentawins to Arkansas Childrens Hospital.
Set up a section for Ambulatory Childrens patients to see the game like the Burls kids.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

jcbville

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 10:11:43 pm
Jim Harris, "Start playing Arkansas State and fill up the stadium for these games."

The host, "Jeff Long doesn't like to play in state competition."

Jim Harris, "There's an opening at Nebraska that Jeff Long needs to check in to."

Bruh

What the hell? Blame Jeff Long is becoming the "Thanks Obama" meme of Razorback writers and fans. The refusal to play AState predates Jeff Long by many years.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Piggage on October 04, 2017, 08:13:10 am
I don't know that there was ever a time when FAMU or Alcorn St. were interesting.

Maybe youre from out of state...  I suppose it wasnt interesting when we played tulsa when malzahn was there either.  You might recall they were ranked and we were not. 

gchamblee

Quote from: jmark on October 04, 2017, 09:12:46 am
i think its all in state money.  if fans consider AState is a little sister, as your post suggested, its the wrong analogy in my opinion.  AState is a D1 school. from our state.  keep the money in state.

If we pay 750k for some rent a win to come to the hill, and you go be someone else's rent a win for 750k, the money in state stays the same. The keeping the money in the state argument is crap.

Atlhogfan1

One more game in WMS:  Vandy next season.  Then we move on finally.  Will free us up to play in one of these season opening brand building games at a neutral site.  A game our players and recruits will look forward to playing and one some of our fans including those of us outside of the 1980s Arkansas fishbowl will get excited about.  Discussing playing ASt in WMS is dumb.  Almost like discussing getting the old SWC back together.  Won't have to worry about attendance or anything else in WMS. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

I am all for playing A-Sate, 9th week of the season, in Fayetteville, ASu gets the usual rent a win agreement and ticket allotment.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Hawg Marshal

Don't get me wrong, if the powers that be decided that they wanted the game, I'd get on board with it. But I understand why they don't want it, and I'm fine with it as it is.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 04, 2017, 10:22:12 am
Don't get me wrong, if the powers that be decided that they wanted the game, I'd get on board with it. But I understand why they don't want it, and I'm fine with it as it is.

I wish we had a rule that said the Hogs could not play an ooc game with any team closer than 400 miles from campus. I am so tired of playing Texas teams. It is not helping recruiting, and playing ASu sure would not help recruiting at all. I mean it is not like we are losing any of the legit in state sec players to ASU, since that's only like 3 a year anyway so what if the Hogs did?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 10:25:59 am
I wish we had a rule that said the Hogs could not play an ooc game with any team closer than 400 miles from campus. I am so tired of playing Texas teams. It is not helping recruiting, and playing ASu sure would not help recruiting at all. I mean it is not like we are losing any of the legit in state sec players to ASU, since that's only like 3 a year anyway so what if the Hogs did?

you know i bet some Alabama fan said this same thing when talking about Auburn.

farfromgroovins

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 04, 2017, 09:14:24 am
If you are scared of playing stAte, please remove Bama from the schedule.

Different sport, different era but Joe Kleine was on the Buzz one morning and this topic came up. He didn't understand all the politics involved until after his college days but he said he laughed at the thought of playing AState during his time here......we play Phi Slama Jama with Drexler and Olajuwon and you think we are afraid of you?!?!

Really I could care less if they played but I thought what he said was funny. I find it hard to see how if helps the Hogs any in recruiting.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 10:18:47 am
I am all for playing A-Sate, 9th week of the season, in Fayetteville, ASu gets the usual rent a win agreement and ticket allotment.

We will need to figure out that deer hunting season non conference game especially if we have a season where we have 7-8 RRS games.  I suspect though we will work to avoid having that many through home and home scheduling and another neutral site game.  I look fwd to our game vs an ACC opponent in the Mercedes Dome. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 04, 2017, 10:28:48 am
We will need to figure out that deer hunting season non conference game especially if we have a season where we have 7-8 RRS games.  I suspect though we will work to avoid having that many through home and home scheduling and another neutral site game.  I look fwd to our game vs an ACC opponent in the Mercedes Dome. 

I was using week 9 as an example. I am sure ASU would want it week 1, so they have all off season to prepare for their one big shot, Like Boise used to do for their one big ooc game. I am sure ASU would demand it be in LR too.

Since you bring it up, great fan base that the schedule has to be world around deer season to draw a crowd. Deer season in Ar is like 5 months long, learn to use a bow.

factchecker

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 04, 2017, 10:28:48 am

How about playing Iowa in Kansas City.  I think it would be fun to play in Arrowhead.

We might eventually move the AnM game back to campus.  We could play an old SWC foe in Dallas later in the season.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GolfnHog

My solution if the Hogs ever end up playing Astate. Make it a neutral site game in Jerry's world and move the Aggies/Hogs back to the respective campuses.

Both schools in Jerry's World get to bring the money back to AR, the SEC game w/ the Aggies is on campus each year.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 10:34:27 am
How about playing Iowa in Kansas City.  I think it would be fun to play in Arrowhead.

We might eventually move the AnM game back to campus.  We could play an old SWC foe in Dallas later in the season.

what is with the fascination of playing old swc in Dallas? Is there something wrong with our on campus stadium? Do the other 120 teams in FBS have cooties so we do not want to play them? Or are our fans with football like most of the people in this state, stuck in 1937 forever?

HognotinMemphis

Jim, per usual regarding Arkansas Razorback athletics, is correct.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 10:32:37 am
I was using week 9 as an example. I am sure ASU would want it week 1, so they have all off season to prepare for their one big shot, Like Boise used to do for their one big ooc game. I am sure ASU would demand it be in LR too.

Since you bring it up, great fan base that the schedule has to be world around deer season to draw a crowd. Deer season in Ar is like 5 months long, learn to use a bow.

I know.  But we both know if the Hogs aren't having a great season, the deer woods win out sometimes if the opponent isn't attractive.  Something to think about when scheduling that late season game. 

The ASU thing is dumb.  Again Arkansas fishbowl.  I know you agree.   Worse than the Texas obsession.  Instead of thinking progressively and bigger, we want to hold on to how things were and keep living those times.  Find a way to play in WMS.  Find a way to play old SWC opponents.  Reminds me of the lack of branding effort the basketball program has put into scheduling for the last several seasons where it is even less risky than 1 of 12 football games. 

factchecker

Quote from: GolfnHog on October 04, 2017, 10:36:49 am
My solution if the Hogs ever end up playing Astate. Make it a neutral site game in Jerry's world and move the Aggies/Hogs back to the respective campuses.

Both schools in Jerry's World get to bring the money back to AR, the SEC game w/ the Aggies is on campus each year.

Jerry Jones would pull that contract quick.

He is not going to trade a game that sells at least 60k tickets for one that will sell at the most 40k tickets.

Razorbacks have a ton of alumni in Dallas but not enough to cover the lack of red pup fans anywhere.

jonesboro state gives tickets away at gas stations to get fans to attend their home games.

We would be better off playing North Texas or SMU in Dallas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 10:34:27 am

I was thinking maybe Iowa or another B1G in St Louis as they need to find a use for that dome if it doesn't fall into disrepair.  Arrowhead is a great stadium but the playing surface has always been absolute crap. 

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 04, 2017, 10:03:48 am
UA would lose a lot of money in this scenario and ASU would make more money than they usually do. Come on man!lol

C'mon maaaaaaan!!!  Please explain how the UofA would lose financially???  I know stAte would make out like thief in the night but I'm finding it hard to believe UofA would be in the red playing ASUjr. Ok, instead of yearly LRWMS what about a rotational DWRRS / Jonesboro / LRWMS series??? Just curious as to what comical smart butt retort that's coming...LOL   ;)

redneckfriend

Quote from: jmark on October 04, 2017, 08:47:16 am
lets hear your good reasons why the UA should not play AState, ...anybody...

The main reason not to play them is recruiting. It gives them a legitimacy with in-state recruits they don't presently have and there are not enough good in-state recruits for Arkansas to enable another competitor. Essentially if Arkansas plays A State they can say to east Arkansas recruits that they are on the same level as Arkansas. Although they are not in a P5 conference and the claim wouldn't be true it would be the beginning of a slippery slope to parity and Arkansas can't afford that- things are tough enough as it is in recruiting.

lstewart

If the Hogs and ASU played in Fayetteville, with ASU receiving the usual type non-power 5 payment, the Hogs would make about the standard revenue. Probably would sell 70,000 tickets. Would be more than the usual interest from the in state fans, at least the first few times they played. Eventually folks would be used to it, and it would not be that big a deal. The Hogs would not benefit from it in any way. ASU would get more publicity for a week or two than normal, and they would be a free shot every year to make a name for themselves. It would help ASU in recruiting, and could hurt the Hogs a little. So.... more interesting for the fans, benefit to ASU, nothing to gain for the Hogs. As a fan, I would rather watch the Hogs play ASU than some of the teams we play, but I completely understand why the Hogs are not interested.

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on October 04, 2017, 10:43:49 am
C'mon maaaaaaan!!!  Please explain how the UofA would lose financially???  I know stAte would make out like thief in the night but I'm finding it hard to believe UofA would be in the red playing ASUjr. Ok, instead of yearly LRWMS what about a rotational DWRRS / Jonesboro / LRWMS series??? Just curious as to what comical smart butt retort that's coming...LOL   ;)
I don't know all of the financial numbers that go into UA football. But it just seems logical to me that if UA gives up half of the gate and concessions for a game in which they can get 100% of it at Fayetteville that UA would be losing money. I'm sure someone else here can break it down better than I could. No  "smart butt" retorts this time. I do enjoy the civil discourse.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: redneckfriend on October 04, 2017, 10:46:58 am
The main reason not to play them is recruiting. It gives them a legitimacy with in-state recruits they don't presently have and there are not enough good in-state recruits for Arkansas to enable another competitor. Essentially if Arkansas plays A State they can say to east Arkansas recruits that they are on the same level as Arkansas. Although they are not in a P5 conference and the claim wouldn't be true it would be the beginning of a slippery slope to parity and Arkansas can't afford that- things are tough enough as it is in recruiting.

$ - Currently, both programs are supported by Arkansans with some supporting both financially.  If we were to begin playing, and with how a small portion of A St fans act, you would see sides chosen.  A St fans already try and force sides.  Arkansas is too small of a state to divide the money and support.  I believe it would hurt A St much more than Arkansas if sides were chosen.  A St would be left to just what its fan base actually is and not those willing to support both.   

factchecker

The idea that jonesboro state would bring thousands of fans anywhere is laughable.  They can't fill up a 20k stadium:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 10:57:08 am
The idea that jonesboro state would bring thousands of fans anywhere is laughable.  They can't fill up a 20k stadium:

30,000 but you are correct.

Atlhogfan1

Arkansas high school football doesn't produce enough recruits for it to matter. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 04, 2017, 09:27:29 am
Arkansas pays NMSU a million to play, money going out of state. Nebraska pays ASU a million to play money coming into the state. Sounds like a push to me.

But under your scenario UA pays ASU a million  and it's a million out of UA coffers into ASU coffers . How does that help UA?

"Keep money in state" = does not math.

Or do dollars from Florida and Nebraska spend different than dollars from Fayetteville?

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

factchecker

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 04, 2017, 10:56:17 am
$ - Currently, both programs are supported by Arkansans with some supporting both financially.  If we were to begin playing, and with how a small portion of A St fans act, you would see sides chosen.  A St fans already try and force sides.  Arkansas is too small of a state to divide the money and support.  I believe it would hurt A St much more than Arkansas if sides were chosen.  A St would be left to just what its fan base actually is and not those willing to support both.   

I think most (80%) of Hog fans support and want jonesboro state to do well.  It's the exact opposite with their fans.

If Hog fans truly knew how envious and nasty the red pup fans are they would change their mind fast.

Their fans have made fun of Canaan Sandy and had a horrible thread saying good riddance when Frank Broyles died.

They even trashed their own QB, Freddi Knighten, when he tweeted support for the Razorbacks in the Texas Bowl.  #WeHogs
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

311Hog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 04, 2017, 11:02:20 am
"Keep money in state" = does not math.

Or do dollars from Florida and Nebraska spend different than dollars from Fayetteville?

"Keep money in state" = mass charity hand out to A-State.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: redneckfriend on October 04, 2017, 10:46:58 am

Ok, I can buy this.  It's all about perception at that point. I still believe that if an in-state recruit had to choose between Hogs or Red Wolves they would choose Hogs solely based on overall aesthetics, resources available, better football facilities, more television time, and a chance to play in the SEC vice Sun Belt.  JMO

311Hog

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 11:03:00 am
I think most (80%) of Hog fans support and want jonesboro state to do well.  It's the exact opposite with their fans.

If Hog fans truly knew how envious and nasty the red pup fans are they would change their mind fast.

Their fans have made fun of Canaan Sandy and had a horrible thread saying good riddance when Frank Broyles died.

They even trashed their own QB, Freddi Knighten, when he tweeted support for the Razorbacks in the Texas Bowl.  #WeHogs

This is what i am saying when thinking of the rise of Auburn.  It is "possible" and if it happened the tiny pocket around A-state campus would become like another country and the feelings would be nasty and heated to say the least.

If you look at a fan map of Alabama the entire state is red except for the 20 mile circle around Auburn.
Why create an enemy in your own back yard when you can simply ignore them like you have for their entire existence.

The Hawg Marshal

I live in Jonesboro and ASU fans have a real hatred for all things Razorback. But there are many, many Razorback fans here.

KlubhouseKonnected

People keep asking what good reason there is for U of A to play stAte.

The more appropriate question is what benefit does the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville receive from playing Arkansas State?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

factchecker

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 04, 2017, 10:58:16 am
30,000 but you are correct.

Since we are on the topic of stadiums...... let's talk expansions.

Since the announcement of the Razorbacks' stadium renovation/expansion, we have heard non-stop bitching. Despite being completely self-funded by ticket sales, donations, and that wonderful SEC check......people still want to bitch about what the Razorbacks do with their own money.

This past year, jonesboro state announced a stadium expansion/renovation of their own.  Where is the money coming from?  The red pups' athletic department is ran primarily off of subsidies and student fees.  If they can afford a stadium expansion then they need to quit stealing from their students via mandatory fees.  Why aren't the fiscal fans bitching about this waste of money?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

311Hog

there isn't one so they resort to the strategy of "u must b skerid aint yas".

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 311Hog on October 04, 2017, 11:05:32 am
This is what i am saying when thinking of the rise of Auburn.  It is "possible" and if it happened the tiny pocket around A-state campus would become like another country and the feelings would be nasty and heated to say the least.

If you look at a fan map of Alabama the entire state is red except for the 20 mile circle around Auburn.
Why create an enemy in your own back yard when you can simply ignore them like you have for their entire existence.

AU was an original member of the SEC when it was formed in 1932.  Not a comparable situation to what A St is.

Like many of us, I had family and friends who attended A St.  Went to countless events including football and basketball games.  I've tried the last several years to maintain my soft spot for them but it just isn't there anymore due to this faction's behavior.   Jealousy is strong.

311Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 04, 2017, 11:12:06 am
AU was an original member of the SEC when it was formed in 1932.  Not a comparable situation to what A St is.

Like many of us, I had family and friends who attended A St.  Went to countless events including football and basketball games.  I've tried the last several years to maintain my soft spot for them but it just isn't there anymore due to this faction's behavior.   Jealousy is strong.

I know the schools are not comparable but the fan base division "over time" is more my point.  If UA and ASU played tomorrow and it was even "close" so would begin the long process of "division".

jkstock04

Quote from: JIHawg on October 04, 2017, 09:38:37 am
Here's the solution.  Offer to play them in Little Rock, but the UA doesn't pay them any money.  That way, both sides get what they want.  The UA saves around a million dollars not having to pay an opponent, which covers their loss playing once a year in LR.  State gets to play UA, which is what they want.

LR peoples get a significant game every year.  Everybody wins.
This sounds like an excellent compromise.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

phadedhawg

If getting rid of Jeff Long is all it took to get ASU on the schedule then lets do it!  I am among the group who aren't yelling for his head but carrying on Frank's antiquated notion of who the UA is too good to play is a black mark on his administration. 

factchecker

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 04, 2017, 11:12:06 am

Which makes our stance great.  Let them scream, kick, and cry. Ignore them.

Ignore them...... and occasionally laugh at their pettiness:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS