Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema PC 3/11

Started by ricepig, March 11, 2015, 12:08:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Steef

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 12, 2015, 07:10:05 am
Actually, isn't the preferred kickoff one that goes in the coffin corner and forces the returner to catch it at about the 1-3 yard line?

I've always wondered about the thinking behind this idea. (yes...lots of folks subscribe to this plan)

If the receiving team catches it on the goal line and has to run...they usually still get it out to the 20-25 anyway. Not always, but usually. Occasionally, they take it out to mid field. Occasionally, they take it all the way. But it's rare that they get pinned at the goal line.

Meantime, you're running all sorts of risk of injury.

Just kick it deep and save all that headache.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 12, 2015, 07:10:05 am
Actually, isn't the preferred kickoff one that goes in the coffin corner and forces the returner to catch it at about the 1-3 yard line?

Maybe by accident. You try to do that all the time, and the opponent's going to end up on the 35 a lot, that is, when they don't return it for a touchdown.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: steefhog on March 12, 2015, 07:17:19 am
I've always wondered about the thinking behind this idea. (yes...lots of folks subscribe to this plan)

If the receiving team catches it on the goal line and has to run...they usually still get it out to the 20-25 anyway. Not always, but usually. Occasionally, they take it out to mid field. Occasionally, they take it all the way. But it's rare that they get pinned at the goal line.

You have to have a LOT of hang time if this is going to work and then you add in the risk of kicking towards that corner and it going out of bounds, putting your opponent in business at their own 35. To me, there is too much risk and too little reward unless you have a large lead and want to practice this against a lesser opponent. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of just putting it through the EZ.
Go Hogs Go!

Hog N Bama

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 11, 2015, 08:26:46 pm
Find success with that and guess what happens with the runniing game? Oh baby.
Just what I was thinking! WPS!

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 11, 2015, 10:01:08 pm

Right now it is the best he has done here. I'm not sure it will get any better if McFain is our best kicker. I saw him kick last year and was not impressed. Of course I know ya'll were. Hope Rob Smith's defense is good starting at the 35 . Just lost a lot of confidence in CBB with that statement.

Lost confidence in the head coach because the specialty positions are open? Dear god man.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

PorkRinds

One thing about CBB, he's brutally honest about the kids and their struggles.  It almost comes off like throwing them under the bus.  I mean, he was HARD on jojo and Kendrick in that PC.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just an observation.  Watching the PC, I just couldn't help but think it may be better to keep SOME of that stuff in house.  Maybe he's doing it on purpose to light a fire under them, but talking about specific kicking kids out of the program in a PC is pretty hardcore.  Either the issues are worse than he's saying, and he's trying to push them, or he is oversharing.  Not sure, and not making a judgment, just an observation.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 12, 2015, 08:23:08 am
One thing about CBB, he's brutally honest about the kids and their struggles.  It almost comes off like throwing them under the bus.  I mean, he was HARD on jojo and Kendrick in that PC.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just an observation.  Watching the PC, I just couldn't help but think it may be better to keep SOME of that stuff in house.  Maybe he's doing it on purpose to light a fire under them, but talking about specific kicking kids out of the program in a PC is pretty hardcore.  Either the issues are worse than he's saying, and he's trying to push them, or he is oversharing.  Not sure, and not making a judgment, just an observation.

There isn't anything wrong with this. He continually preaches to this team that you get what you earn. He has suspended them for a week. When has there been a player suspended that any HC hasn't announced it? And, he didn't say anything about the kids except that they aren't being disciplined and aren't following clearly established rules. So, they are being penalized. I see nothing wrong with saying that in a presser. He isn't throwing them under the bus, they threw themselves under the bus.
Go Hogs Go!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: steefhog on March 12, 2015, 07:17:19 am

I've seen it used pretty successfully.  You've got to have a really good coverage team.  But if you do you can start the other team in the 10-15 yard range pretty consistently.

Plus, the chance of creating a turnover is there.  Still, I think it's up to the coaches preference.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Steef

Throwing under th bus...to me...is a coach blaming a player for a mistake in a game.

Temporary suspension for team rules, reinforces discipline.

Its not like the press isnt gonna know a player is suspended. Especially if the dont show up on a roster.

grayhawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 12, 2015, 08:37:06 am
I've seen it used pretty successfully.  You've got to have a really good coverage team.  But if you do you can start the other team in the 10-15 yard range pretty consistently.

Plus, the chance of creating a turnover is there.  Still, I think it's up to the coaches preference.
Trying to kick it to a corner at about the 1 yrd line it sometimes  bounces out of bounds and they get it on the 35 instead of the 25.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 12, 2015, 08:34:17 am
There isn't anything wrong with this. He continually preaches to this team that you get what you earn. He has suspended them for a week. When has there been a player suspended that any HC hasn't announced it? And, he didn't say anything about the kids except that they aren't being disciplined and aren't following clearly established rules. So, they are being penalized. I see nothing wrong with saying that in a presser. He isn't throwing them under the bus, they threw themselves under the bus.

CBB is a very open and transparent person.  I think that's a part of why kids relate to him.  That, and the fact he really cares about them.

So I don't see it as him throwing anyone under the bus.  He's just being true to himself and being honest about what's going on.

It's easy to understand the reactions these disciplinary actions are getting within the fan base.  It's easy for us to see one of these and get scared he's going to run somebody off.

I remember last year about this time when AC was demoted or something along those lines, and folks on here were freaking out that CBB was running the kid off.  But that never happened, and he's still here heading into his junior year as a co-starter.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: grayhawg on March 12, 2015, 08:40:29 am
Trying to kick it to a corner at about the 1 yrd line it sometimes  bounces out of bounds and they get it on the 35 instead of the 25.

You certainly must have a kicker who is accurate enough to do this.

I believe Hocker was pretty consistent at it, if my memory serves me well.

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 12, 2015, 08:45:15 am
CBB is a very open and transparent person.  I think that's a part of why kids relate to him.  That, and the fact he really cares about them.

So I don't see it as him throwing anyone under the bus.  He's just being true to himself and being honest about what's going on.

It's easy to understand the reactions these disciplinary actions are getting within the fan base.  It's easy for us to see one of these and get scared he's going to run somebody off.

I remember last year about this time when AC was demoted or something along those lines, and folks on here were freaking out that CBB was running the kid off.  But that never happened, and he's still here heading into his junior year as a co-starter.

I'm with you.  I'm not really freaking out at all.  I know we will be fine with or without these guys.  I know how I'd feel if my boss was publically calling me out.  It's likely he's using it to light a fire, and that's ok with me.  Again that wasn't a critique, just an observation.  CBB's ways have been highly effective here, so if this is one of them, I'm all for him doing it.  I do wonder how it plays behind the scenes with the kids though.   

hawgsalot

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 12, 2015, 08:51:02 am
I do wonder how it plays behind the scenes with the kids though.   

Don't we all!!

I've often thought just how awesome it would be to know all that goes in inside the coaches meetings, team meetings, group meetings, etc..

I guess that's why the big money boosters buy their way in to get that kind of access (though not sure any booster has all THAT access!).

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 12, 2015, 09:50:01 am
Don't we all!!

I've often thought just how awesome it would be to know all that goes in inside the coaches meetings, team meetings, group meetings, etc..

I guess that's why the big money boosters buy their way in to get that kind of access (though not sure any booster has all THAT access!).

I would imagine it's different for each player.  Coach B knows what drives these guys, so I trust that he wouldn't call someone out like that if he thought it would be detrimental. 

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on March 11, 2015, 04:53:50 pm
I'm worried about LB's. Ellis is the only one I'm confident in. Hackett and Williams will definitely need to step up.

:razorback:
The team will need to replace a lot of defensive production from last year. 

JaketheSnake

These are also minor offenses that CBB wants to make a big deal of hoping that the little things will keep thebigger things from happening.  If CBB had come out last fall about our former RB that is now playing elsewhere and said what he did to earn his spot off the team, that would have been different.

PorkRinds

Quote from: JaketheSnake on March 12, 2015, 12:55:51 pm
These are also minor offenses that CBB wants to make a big deal of hoping that the little things will keep thebigger things from happening.  If CBB had come out last fall about our former RB that is now playing elsewhere and said what he did to earn his spot off the team, that would have been different.

I agree, there is a distinction.

Tusks

You took my post too literal.  It was for the 'all we do is ground and pound' club.

There was another quote from enos about spreading the field a little. 

I think Enos is the best new recruit on the O.  I'm one of those pain in the arse guys that thinks you need a designated QB coach in college.  Or a guy that has and knows how to coach QB's before. 

Sorry but Chaney didn't develop Brees.  God developed Brees.  Being the mad scientist drawing up unstoppable plays on paper is not working with a QB and making sure his head is in the right place for the play being called.

I also think that Enos will spread the field more out of the base that CBB wants.  I don't know what chaney was doing.  its seemed like the passing game was his and the running game was CBB and there was not much in between.

So yeah, 500 yards total O out of CBB base set.  You heard it here first.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 11, 2015, 09:14:06 pm
Ya think? I doubt we are going to average that much but if the defense can be productive like it was last year (though they may take a small step back), all we need on offense is another 50 yards per game on average, like 460 per game average and not turn the ball over. Get that kind of productivity out of those two units and we will win a lot more than 7 games next season.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RebelW

I'm anxious to see Duwop at WR, I wonder how his route running has developed and how soft his hands are.... Anybody know his 40 time?  His frame seems like he would be a great candidate for a goal line receiver to throw it up to him and make him go get it.. Can't wait to find out!  :razorback:

PorkRinds

Quote from: RebelW on March 12, 2015, 02:20:14 pm
I'm anxious to see Duwop at WR, I wonder how his route running has developed and how soft his hands are.... Anybody know his 40 time?  His frame seems like he would be a great candidate for a goal line receiver to throw it up to him and make him go get it.. Can't wait to find out!  :razorback:

Coach B seemed really stoked about Duwop in this PC.  I know a lot of folks were afraid of a DUwop transfer, but it sounds like he is loving being in this program and has bought into his position change.  I'm excited to see him making plays.  He's a freak athlete according to coach B.

JackJohnson

Quote from: tusked on March 12, 2015, 02:09:01 pm
You took my post too literal.  It was for the 'all we do is ground and pound' club.

There was another quote from enos about spreading the field a little. 

I think Enos is the best new recruit on the O.  I'm one of those pain in the arse guys that thinks you need a designated QB coach in college.  Or a guy that has and knows how to coach QB's before. 

Sorry but Chaney didn't develop Brees.  God developed Brees.  Being the mad scientist drawing up unstoppable plays on paper is not working with a QB and making sure his head is in the right place for the play being called.

I also think that Enos will spread the field more out of the base that CBB wants.  I don't know what chaney was doing.  its seemed like the passing game was his and the running game was CBB and there was not much in between.

So yeah, 500 yards total O out of CBB base set.  You heard it here first.

my thoughts exactly

Steef

Gotta admit, I was not impressed with QB development under Chaney.