Does CBB have an NFL future?

Started by twistitup, March 09, 2015, 09:53:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Will CBB leave college for the NFL?

Yes
No
Fp

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

deedster84

I think CBB has a goal here at Arkansas and won't leave until he reaches it. But, after he does, if he does leave, this program will be in great shape and will have a seamless transition with new HC.

twistitup

Quote from: deedster84 on March 09, 2015, 10:04:58 pm
I think CBB has a goal here at Arkansas and won't leave until he reaches it. But, after he does, if he does leave, this program will be in great shape and will have a seamless transition with new HC.

In all that you didn't say if he would go the NFL or not - it's a question. I agree he will leave the program in good shape

lefty08

I think he is a great made for college coach. He seems to care about his players more than what it seems like nfl guys do. The free agency makes it hard to put 100% into his guys like he can in college. I don't see him In the nfl unless he doesn't have a college opportunity
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

DEVIL DOG HOG

I don't see CBB going pro!  He's a college coach, Arkansas will be his last stop.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

onebadrubi

He may try it but I think he really enjoys going into a teenagers home and selling them on making them into a well rounded young man.  If you make it through his 3-5 year program, you will turn out to be an assert to society. 

ZERO

I think so, sure. If the NFL called, he'd surely leave. Other than things falling apart and being fired, I think the only thing that would lure him away would be the NFL.

Except, of course, the Iowa job coming open, for obvious reasons. But I really don't think he'd take that job just quite yet. He's talked a lot of smack about winning the SEC and he's nowhere near that goal. Still quite a bit to prove.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

chiti66

This has been my prediction all along.  He will win here, SEC crown for sure, and will most likely make it to the playoffs, eventually.  I don't see him leaving for another college job, but NFL, yes, indeed.  But it'll take him a few years to accomplish his goals here, so we can relax and enjoy the ride.  WPS!!!

ChitownHawg

Like all top notch college coaches the allure of competing at the top will eventually cause him to try. My prediction is like Saban and The Ball Coach he will return to the college ranks.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on March 09, 2015, 09:53:08 pm
Here's a good read about how the NFL might be a good fit for CBB someday....what do you think?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/could-bret-bielema-take-nfl-job-down-road/

I'm sure Bielema would initially enjoy the challenge of an NFL gig, but I'm not sure for how long. His team philosophy and disciplinary standards work at the college level, I'm not sure how effective they would be in the NFL where players are empowered by earning millions and HC's can be overruled by GM's and Owners. I think College HC's lose some of their autonomy when they become an NFL HC.
Go Hogs Go!

Razorfox

Ability, sure.  Desire, I doubt it. 

hoghiker

Quote from: deedster84 on March 09, 2015, 10:04:58 pm
This seems optimistic, to me. Seamless in hard to achieve in sports.

Peter Porker

He was nearly the Dolphins coach so yea.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

twistitup

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 10, 2015, 06:20:16 am

Mmmmmm....I don't know about that, but he did interview.

Hogarusa

If you are interviewing for the Dolphins job, it appears the desire is there. All about finding a great fit.  He has some more work to do with the Hogs before NFL teams come knocking on his door though
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 10, 2015, 06:20:16 am
I think he really just wanted out of Madison more than anything.

shotgun7

I think he will, I think he will stay and give us his best to win a SEC champion ship. After that? He will have the opportunity if he wants it.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 10, 2015, 06:07:57 am
I'm sure Bielema would initially enjoy the challenge of an NFL gig, but I'm not sure for how long. His team philosophy and disciplinary standards work at the college level, I'm not sure how effective they would be in the NFL where players are empowered by earning millions and HC's can be overruled by GM's and Owners. I think College HC's lose some of their autonomy when they become an NFL HC.

^^^  THIS IS CORRECT^^^^^^^^^^^^^

twistitup

March 10, 2015, 07:46:50 am #18 Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:29:40 am by twistitup
Quote from: Hogarusa on March 10, 2015, 06:54:31 am
If you are interviewing for the Dolphins job, it appears the desire is there. All about finding a great fit.  He has some more work to do with the Hogs before NFL teams come knocking on his door though

I think he probably looks at opportunities yearly and weighs his options - just a guess. Coaching is a different profession, they enjoy new challenges, especially if the location fits their lifestyle. Miami and Bielema would fit- he loves the beach and warmth -flip flop weather

Tampa Bay
San Diego
Miami
Houston? (Not pretty beaches, but closer to them)
LA (if they land a team or two)

I don't think he would leave unless it was the perfect situation - pay, location, good owner, etc...

Peter Porker

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 10, 2015, 07:07:25 am
I think he really just wanted out of Madison more than anything.

There were other college jobs available. The Miami job wasn't the only one. Clearly, there was interest.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

lefty08

Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

gawntrail

gmarv

I can just see him calling ray rices momma and them agreeing to take rays car away.

PorkRinds

I think he may have a future, long down the road.  At some point, as he gets older and possibly has a family, all the traveling will become tiresome.  The guy is on the road constantly, and you can only do that for so long. So when and if he gets tired, he may choose to move to the NFL if it's an option.  As of now, I think he loves what he's doing.

Grizzlyfan

It seems that Bielema is the quintessential college coach.  Rah, rah players coach to the nth degree.  Not the approach you take with professionals.

Even on the discipline side I don't see a fit.  Pros expect to be treated like adults and if they screw up too bad they'll be gone from the team.  Not have their car taken from them.

RazorbackBurger numba foe

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 10, 2015, 09:26:50 am
It seems that Bielema is the quintessential college coach.  Rah, rah players coach to the nth degree.  Not the approach you take with professionals.
Exactly, that is way Pete Carroll is doing so poorly while Petrino and Saban did so well.

hogwild6700

I don't think the NFL is "uncommon" enough for CBB.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

GalaHawg

I'm not one that believes CBB will stay at Arkansas forever. He made it clear that he is here to achieve something that has not been achieved before - win an SEC Championship and go to the CFB playoffs. I believe he will look for a different challenge once he achieves the goal he set for himself. However, I don't think he will look for his new challenge at NFL. He is too much of a control freak to operate at that level and his message of being uncommon and doing things the right way resonates better at the college level where he has power over the student-athletes. Having said that, I would not be surprised if he takes a job at a university that would not mind opening the checkbook for him but would look like a lateral or downward move. The guy is motivated by achieving things that is said to be highly challenging and I can personally relate to that.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: RazorbackBurger numba foe on March 10, 2015, 09:45:26 am
Exactly, that is way Pete Carroll is doing so poorly while Petrino and Saban did so well.
If you listen carefully to some of the Seahawks you will hear that Carroll's approach was needed on that team because they were so young.  As the players age the Carroll approach is wearing thin with some of them.

By the way I was not in any way diminishing Bielema's approach on the college level.  I think it works well.

onebadrubi

Quote from: twistitup on March 10, 2015, 06:29:46 am
Mmmmmm....I don't know about that, but he did interview.

If they would have agreed to take Russell wilson in the draft he would have been, I believe those were his own words

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 10, 2015, 09:09:14 am
I think he may have a future, long down the road.  At some point, as he gets older and possibly has a family, all the traveling will become tiresome.  The guy is on the road constantly, and you can only do that for so long. So when and if he gets tired, he may choose to move to the NFL if it's an option.  As of now, I think he loves what he's doing.

I honestly don't know this answer, but with a good caliber play off team, you think a college coach travels that much more than an NFL team and more hours at the office?  They have draft, combine, pro days to attend out of season, meetings etc.  then you get to training camp then to preseason, the season, and post season.  I honestly don't know the answer.  But I do know Arkansaa affords him a plane and pilot that get him back home rather quickly

Dropkick

If he wins an SEC championship here he will be one of the hottest coaching commodities on the planet.

texas tush hog

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on March 09, 2015, 10:59:28 pm
I don't see CBB going pro!  He's a college coach, Arkansas will be his last stop.

100% agree. Listening to him speak, and having several friends currently coaching in the NFL, I think CBB and the NFL would be like oil and water. I believe he is like Joe Paterno, a college football lifer, nevermind how it ended for Joe (tragic). The NFL as in all pro sports is for a different class of people and that, to me, is not a positive. CBB will raise a family and retire on the hill IMHO.

Vantage 8 dude

I seriously doubt that one of the chief cornerstones of his coaching philosophy- building and coaching a team around uncommon men- would fly very far in the ego warped world of the NFL. Would go together like fire and water.

DC HOGFAN

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on March 09, 2015, 10:59:28 pm
No, I bet it will be Iowa. Hope not, though.

tophawg19

my thought is that he finishes his career right here . i don't think Iowa has the pull some think it does . His attitude toward players and the game are similar to Saban and we all know how that went. CBB  is in the game for the fun and the NFL isn't like college in that sense
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogeration

I'm not sure if UofA is his last stop or not but he could coach in the NFL if he wants to.  Building the interior line on both sides of the ball is efficient at all levels of football.  If the rumor about the Dolphins is true, he was just a QB draft away from trying the NFL.

jvanhorn

Quote from: RazorbackBurger numba foe on March 10, 2015, 09:45:26 am
Gee, as near as I could tell, the only thing Carroll did really good at the college level was cheat.  Looks like he met his match at that this year, LOL

jvanhorn

I can't see any reason why he would go pro.  But if he did, not counting the weather, I could see him fitting in in Kansas City.  For some reason he reminds me some of Hank Stram, but then, that is probably just me, LOL

Peter Porker

Peter Porker

kp72204

Quote from: jvanhorn on March 11, 2015, 12:09:50 am
I can't see any reason why he would go pro.  But if he did, not counting the weather, I could see him fitting in in Kansas City.  For some reason he reminds me some of Hank Stram, but then, that is probably just me, LOL
As a KC fan i'd like that, but as Razorback not so much. Wasn't it CBB who said "if it becomes public take my name out of it". How close was he if at all to leaving for Nebraska? I also don't think he would do well in pro's due to grown men not caring about what he say's regarding their personal/private life. On the other hand i didn't think he'd be good here.

Swineasaur

Say Saber retires with in the next 5 years and alabama comes knocking at the door? With his buyout so low and Arkansas nit being exactly the "premier" place, I wouldn't put it on my kids that this is where he ends his career.

lefty08

Quote from: Swineasaur on March 11, 2015, 06:30:12 am
Say Saber retires with in the next 5 years and alabama comes knocking at the door? With his buyout so low and Arkansas nit being exactly the "premier" place, I wouldn't put it on my kids that this is where he ends his career.

I see a 0% chance he coaches at bama even if they wanted him. He's a hog now, and nobody wants to follow saban

twistitup

We will be his last college program. If he makes us a winner (consistent 10 wins) its goal accomplished and on to the next level. He reminds me of a young Bill Parcells

Peter Porker

A lot of projecting that lacks logic going on right now.

twistitup

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 11, 2015, 06:44:48 am

The internets is a beautiful thing- thanks Al.

Randy Johnson

I think he was in the NFL.......just sayin.

OldCoot

I dont see how anyone could look at BB's style of coaching and management of players and think that translates into the NFL.  It just doesn't.

Ground and pound doesn't sell tickets anymore, and you cannot manage professional divas like you do college players.  It is all too impersonal and I cant see him making that transition.

He could go down as one of the best college coaches in history though.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 11, 2015, 06:44:48 am

But which way is the question.