K- Steve Little
P- Steve Cox
KR/PR- Lance Alworth

Honorable Mention
K- Pat Summerall
KR- Felix Jones
PR- Joe Adams

Note
1. I was born in 1980 so I may have missed some of the older greats. This team is a combination of players I've seen and research I've done on some of the players that were before my time.
2. I probably could have put Lance Alworth on the receiver's list since he played WR in the pros but since he didn't play WR in college and I still wanted him on the list somewhere. So I just put him at KR and PR.
3. I also wanted to put Jason Peters on the list at tackle but since he played TE at Arkansas so I just put him on the honorable mention list at both.

I'm interested in hearing everyone else's opinions young and old. Thanks
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

supersaint

Good list. I'd put Hunter Henry up there with Botkin and Williams. Glad to see Henry Ford on there. I don't think people remember / realize how good he was.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Hogs run wild

i'd switch CB- Ahmad Carroll with david barret or chris houston. but that's jmo.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Ugly Uncle

I would put Dirt Winston in at LB infront of Bua.

I would have Barry Foster as my FB, though you can't go wrong with Hillis.

I would have Derek Russell as one of my receivers.  Maybe as an honorable mention.

You have a very good list.  Good job on this.
Retired Radio Host

justmakeit2thebcs

Offense
QB- Joe Ferguson
RB- Darren McFadden
RB- Lance Alworth
WR- Chuck Dicus
WR- Jim Benton
TE- D.J. Williams
OL- Glen Ray Hines
OL- Steve Korte
C- Jonathan Luigs
OL- Brandon Burlsworth
OL- Shawn Andrews

Defense
DE- Billy Ray Smith Jr.
DT- Dan Hampton
DT- Wayne Martin
DL- Lloyd Phllips
LB- Ronnie Caveness
LB- Jermaine Petty
LB- Cliff Powell
DB- Ken Hatfield
DB- Martine Bercher
S- Steve Atwater
S- Ken Hamlin

Special Teams
K- Steve Little
P- Steve Cox
R- Lance Alwoth

gmarv

wayne harris, bruce james, bill Montgomery Anthony lucas,david barrett.should at least be mentioned.

deedster84

I'd have either Ferguson or Calcagni as backup QB instead of Jones.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: gmarv on March 09, 2015, 01:12:23 pm
wayne harris, bruce james, bill Montgomery Anthony lucas,david barrett.should at least be mentioned.

I put Wayne Harris and Anthony Lucas on the honorable mention list. Thought about putting Barrett too but just left him off.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: deedster84 on March 09, 2015, 01:33:15 pm
I'd have either Ferguson or Calcagni as backup QB instead of Jones.

Yeah, I thought about that. Matt Jones was my 2nd favorite player to watch besides McFadden so I couldn't leave him off the list.

gmarv

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 09, 2015, 02:18:01 pm
I put Wayne Harris and Anthony Lucas on the honorable mention list. Thought about putting Barrett too but just left him off.
so you did I just missed them,good list .

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hogs run wild on March 09, 2015, 12:40:15 pm
i'd switch CB- Ahmad Carroll with david barret or chris houston. but that's jmo.

I thought about going with Carroll and Houston or Carroll and Barrett but I decided to go ahead and go with Carroll and Hatfield with Bercher as an honorable mention. I'll take anyone of them on my team to be honest.

thirrdegreetusker

Other offensive tackles worth of note: Greg Koch, Gerald Skinner

Also gotta be a place for Quinn Grovey. Only UA QB in the modern era to win the conf champ bowl berth TWICE. Mallet, Jones, Montgomery....never won it once.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 09, 2015, 03:46:50 pm
Other offensive tackles worth of note: Greg Koch, Gerald Skinner

Also gotta be a place for Quinn Grovey. Only UA QB in the modern era to win the conf champ bowl berth TWICE. Mallet, Jones, Montgomery....never won it once.

Sounds like somebody needs to start a best Arkansas QB of all time thread... ???

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 09, 2015, 11:31:45 am
Offense
QB- Ryan Mallett
RB- Darren McFadden
FB- Peyton Hillis
WR- Chuck Dicus
WR- Jim Benton
TE- D.J. Williams
T- Greg Kolenda
G- Leotis Harris
C- Jonathan Luigs
G- Brandon Burlsworth
T- Shawn Andrews

Honorable Mention
QB- Matt Jones
FB- Leon Campbell
WR- Anthony Lucas
TE- Kirk Botkin
TE/T- Jason Peters

Defense
DE- Billy Ray Smith Jr.
DT- Dan Hampton
DT- Wayne Martin
DE- Henry Ford
LB- Ronnie Caveness
LB- Jermaine Petty
LB- Tony Bua
CB- Ken Hatfield
CB- Ahmad Carroll
S- Steve Atwater
S- Ken Hamlin

Honorable Mention
DE- Ron Faurot
DT- Dick Bumpas
LB- Wayne Harris
CB- Martine Bercher
S- Kenoy Kennedy

Special Teams
K- Steve Little
P- Steve Cox
KR/PR- Lance Alworth

Honorable Mention
K- Pat Summerall
KR- Felix Jones
PR- Joe Adams

Note
1. I was born in 1980 so I may have missed some of the older greats. This team is a combination of players I've seen and research I've done on some of the players that were before my time.
2. I probably could have put Lance Alworth on the receiver's list since he played WR in the pros but since he didn't play WR in college and I still wanted him on the list somewhere. So I just put him at KR and PR.
3. I also wanted to put Jason Peters on the list at tackle but since he played TE at Arkansas so I just put him on the honorable mention list at both.

I'm interested in hearing everyone else's opinions young and old. Thanks

Loved Ryan, and enjoyed watching Matt play, but neither should be on this list.

Bua??  No way.  Sorry.  WAY too many great ones so far ahead of him it's not funny.

Hamlin should NEVER be put in front of Kenoy Kennedy.  EVER!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 09, 2015, 03:46:50 pm

Done in an era of the SWC when it was at its weakest ever.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Bacons Rebellion

Bud Brooks (1954) and Loyd Phillips (1966) both won the Outland Trophy as college football's best interior lineman. It's hard to compare across decades, but that's a pretty good objective letter of recommendation.

Good job not forgetting Jim Benton.

CoachVisor

R. C. Thielemann gotta be on that line somewhere.  :-X

Talon

Good list.  I can't help but make a suggestion or two:

QB - Joe Ferguson
WR - Jarius Wright
CB - Chris Houston

regi

Can't have a list of Hog greats without Gary Anderson

pigroots

Great list but I would have Ferguson as the QB,Dirt Winston at LB, Thielemann, on the line. Alworth at WR and Foster at FB. Wayne Harris has to be one of the linebackers. Looking at that D I was impressed. I feel like there's a LB Fro Cotton Bowl times vs Georgia years ago..Hal Mcafee that I thought was also very good

pigroots

Who was the guy on the line with Dan Hampton who I think actually was better in college although hampton had the better pro career?

jseinfeld50

pigroots

That's him. He was a beast in college but a little undersized for the pros but an all timer for me

Tigerloather

Atwater, Hamlin & Kennedy...those guys were beasts!
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

hogfan58

Bobby Crockett and Kenny Hatfield have to on this list.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RazorWild on March 09, 2015, 08:42:32 pm
Tony Bua? All time? No

He's the all time leading tackler in Razorback history. Why not? That's the main reason he's on this list.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Talon on March 09, 2015, 06:48:13 pm

QB - Joe Ferguson
WR - Jarius Wright
CB - Chris Houston

Thought about them too. I hate that there's only so many names that can go on an all time greats list.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: regi on March 09, 2015, 07:48:49 pm
Can't have a list of Hog greats without Gary Anderson

I agree, could have put him on the honorable mention list. But was he better than McFadden? Just curious, I'm too young to ever have seen him play or remember him play.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogfan58 on March 10, 2015, 06:46:20 am
Bobby Crockett and Kenny Hatfield have to on this list.

Hatfield is on the list but not Crockett.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 09, 2015, 04:37:42 pm
Loved Ryan, and enjoyed watching Matt play, but neither should be on this list.

Bua??  No way.  Sorry.  WAY too many great ones so far ahead of him it's not funny.

Hamlin should NEVER be put in front of Kenoy Kennedy.  EVER!

Kennedy was a bigger hitter and more intimidating than Hamlin but Hamlin was more productive and was a better football player. IMO...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: pigroots on March 09, 2015, 08:34:56 pm
Great list but I would have Ferguson as the QB,Dirt Winston at LB, Thielemann, on the line. Alworth at WR and Foster at FB. Wayne Harris has to be one of the linebackers. Looking at that D I was impressed. I feel like there's a LB Fro Cotton Bowl times vs Georgia years ago..Hal Mcafee that I thought was also very good

Wayne Harris in on there as an honorable mention. Alworth played RB at Arkansas. He played WR in the pros.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 09, 2015, 04:39:44 pm
Done in an era of the SWC when it was at its weakest ever.

Ever?

Go on the interwebs and look up the SWC season of '67.

In 67, TAM won the conference with a 7-4 record; no SWC team finished the season ranked in the top 20.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 10, 2015, 08:13:13 am
I agree, could have put him on the honorable mention list. But was he better than McFadden? Just curious, I'm too young to ever have seen him play or remember him play.

Not as valuable as DMac, but very productive. Skinny kid with good speed and moves.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: pigroots on March 09, 2015, 08:36:34 pm
Who was the guy on the line with Dan Hampton who I think actually was better in college although hampton had the better pro career?

You are probably thinking of Jimmy Walker.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 10, 2015, 08:34:41 am
Ever?

In 67, TAM won the conference with a 7-4 record; no SWC team finished the season ranked in the top 20.

Contrast that with 1989 when FOUR SWC teams finished in the top 20. And none of those were Texas.

Sir Oinksalot

...I would start my defense with Hamlin and Barrett and go from there.  Flinging Ferguson to J. Wright would be my go to on offense...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 10, 2015, 08:34:41 am
Ever?

I was talking about over that period, not a specific year.  So I stand by my comment.

TOM "tbw1"

Why no mention of Clyde Scott or Lamar McHan?  Arkansas has had one All-American at quarterback and no one has mentioned his name. 
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

code red

Quote from: Talon on March 09, 2015, 06:48:13 pm

QB - Joe Ferguson
WR - Jarius Wright
CB - Chris Houston

Agreed Adams and Childs as well.  Childs when healthy was a beast....or Lucas.  Houston was a ball hawk but he never ever wrapped up.  Now he would knock you out but a poor tackler for sure.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogfan58

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 10, 2015, 08:14:01 am
Hatfield is on the list but not Crockett.

As a CB, not as a PR. He lead the nation in punt returns 2 yrs in a row AND has the most famous punt return in UA football history.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

hogfanfish

The WR list has to start with Lance Alworth...no ifs ands or butts....

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 10, 2015, 09:06:44 am
Contrast that with 1989 when FOUR SWC teams finished in the top 20. And none of those were Texas.

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 10, 2015, 09:06:44 am

First of all your cherry pickin'.  In 1967, the AP was top 10, not 20.  You conveniently left out 68 and 69.  In 68, two teams finished in the top 6 and both received first place votes.  In 69, the top two teams in country played for the national championship.

Now on to the SWC in the late 80's.. the glory years for some.

88 - 2 teams in the top 20 @ 12 & 18
89 - 4 teams @ 13,14,19 & 20

There were no great teams in the SWC in the late 80's to beat. Texas was a beast in the late 60's.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: hogfanfish on March 11, 2015, 08:44:57 am
The WR list has to start with Lance Alworth...no ifs ands or butts....

Except he was not a wideout at Arkansas.

thirrdegreetusker

March 11, 2015, 09:42:15 am #44 Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:54:06 am by thirrdegreetusker
Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 11, 2015, 08:48:06 am
First of all your cherry pickin'.  In 1967, the AP was top 10, not 20.  You conveniently left out 68 and 69.  In 68, two teams finished in the top 6 and both received first place votes.  In 69, the top two teams in country played for the national championship.

Now on to the SWC in the late 80's.. the glory years for some.

88 - 2 teams in the top 20 @ 12 & 18
89 - 4 teams @ 13,14,19 & 20

There were no great teams in the SWC in the late 80's to beat. Texas was a beast in the late 60's.

Yeah, I figured that out after a while. AP did not list anything below 10 until 1968. My bad.

Cherry pickin'? Not really.
In '65, the Hogs were great, but the rest of the conference was down. TTech finished second at 8-3; UT was 6-4.

In '66, SMU won it at 8-3, UT was 7-4.

In '67, TAM won it at 7-4. Hogs were 4-5-1; UT was 6-4.

A down era for SWC, at least as low as the late 80s, if not lower.

Bottom line, Grovey ran very well, passed very well (top 8 all-time at UA in %, yards, and TDs) , and won. What more do you want from your QB, regardless of era?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 11, 2015, 09:42:15 am
Bottom line, Grovey ran very well, passed very well (top 8 all-time at UA in %, yards, and TDs) , and won. What more do you wnat form your QB, regardless of era?

Nobody is ragging on Quinn.  He definitely holds a place of honor in Razorback history.

But I was addressing you putting him in that "best all time" list simply because of those two SWC championships.

But since the OP's list is his personal list, I guess anybody can put whomever they like on their list.

I grew up as a big fan of the wishbone offenses, especially OU's with Jack Mildren at QB.  Those teams were explosive and dynamic, rushing for 500, 600 yards a game.

But I found Hatfield's wishbone boring as dirt.  I guess for me Quinn gets painted with that brush a bit.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 11, 2015, 10:31:35 am
I grew up as a big fan of the wishbone offenses, especially OU's with Jack Mildren at QB.  Those teams were explosive and dynamic, rushing for 500, 600 yards a game.

LOL    Me, too!

I was not a Hog fan growing up. My dad was military, and I lived in 5 different towns (four states) by age 10. I loved the old USC "tailback U" and the wide open OU teams of the 70s. Jack Mildren, Greg Pruitt, Joe Washington......

LJHOG

Ferguson at QB, Dennis Winston at LB, and Glenn Ray Hines at OT.