Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wayne Harris

Started by Youngsta71701, March 09, 2015, 07:54:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

This question is for all you Old School Razorbacks and history buffs. Which linebacker position did Wayne Harris play outside linebacker or middle linebacker?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

flippinhogmana

March 09, 2015, 08:13:18 am #1 Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:40:07 pm by flippinhogmana
Cant say definitively but that was in the iron man era and I did find where he played center on offense.  He also wore the number 55.  Both are indications that he played middle linebacker (the center usually played middle linebacker, or the full back did.  In a four man line the center usually played mlb, in a five man line, center didnt usually play lb, so if he played lb, which he did, it would seem to indicate that we played a four man line then.  The qb and half backs would have played safeties and corners, the fb would have played monster man, rover, strong safety whatever they chose to call him unless the tight end was better suited, one of them, the fb or te would have played the other lb position, and the receiver would have been usually one of the corners.  ).
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

kaki

I believe they played a different defensive alignment then, with not as much passing.  I think they probably played a 52 with five up front (two ends, two tackles and a nose guard) with two linebackers and even the defensive backfield was a bit different--maybe two corners, one safety and what they called a monster (kind of like the hybrid we use now).

Vantage 8 dude

He played the entire LB position VERY well!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 09, 2015, 10:04:50 am
He played the entire LB position VERY well!!

Thank you! Enough said...lol
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

RazorBiker

The "Thumper". El Dorado boy. I got to see him play for both the Wildcats & Razorbacks.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: kaki on March 09, 2015, 09:10:57 am
I believe they played a different defensive alignment then, with not as much passing.  I think they probably played a 52 with five up front (two ends, two tackles and a nose guard) with two linebackers and even the defensive backfield was a bit different--maybe two corners, one safety and what they called a monster (kind of like the hybrid we use now).
That is correct. That alignment was also called a 5-4 in reference to the 5 down linemen and four secondary positions. Both linebacker positions were essentially the same.

Another popular defense at the time was the so called Wide Tackle Six. There were six down linemen, no nose guard and a middle linebacker. Every offensive lineman faced a down lineman with the exception of the center.

As has been stated this was at a time where there was very little passing. Offensive linemen kept their hands closed during run blocking and on a rare pass play they'd bring both closed hands to the middle of their chest with the upper finger joints facing each other. Both hands had to be in contact with the chest.

Thankfully there was very little blitzing back then so an offensive guard facing a 5-4 defense didn't have much to do on a pass play. The minute he failed to fire out to block the linebacker over him knew a pass play was coming and he would immediately drop back into short coverage. At that point the offensive guard had only one basic job. Help out the tackle next to him, if needed, to prevent the defensive tackle from getting to the quarterback.

Old-timey football.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 09, 2015, 07:54:03 am

This question is for all you Old School Razorbacks and history buffs. Which linebacker position did Wayne Harris play outside linebacker or middle linebacker?

Lol, maybe his position should have been called...."tackle"

Cause that's what he seemed to be doing most of the time, "tackling" anybody that was carrying the ball.  He was a heck of a football player.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.