Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kicker

Started by Lake City Hog, March 08, 2015, 10:59:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

I've been watching the Texas Bowl and Texas scored their only TD after starting on our 46 due to the kick. We kicked it to about the 25 to 27 yard line and they returned it to our 46.
We kicked 1 out of bounds and none reached the goal line.

Is Hedlund the answer? He has a long field goal of 57 yards, but in HS they kick FG's off the Tee, right? I'm not really as concerned about FG kicking as I am about kick-offs, Can he get the ball into the endzone?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on March 08, 2015, 10:59:32 am
I've been watching the Texas Bowl and Texas scored their only TD after starting on our 46 due to the kick. We kicked it to about the 25 to 27 yard line and they returned it to our 46.

Is Hedlund the answer? He has a long field goal of 57 yards, but in HS they kick FG's off the Tee, right? I'm not really as concerned about FG kicking as I am about kick-offs, Can he get the ball into the endzone?

Here is their evaluation.

http://kohlskicking.com/profile/cole-hedlund/8402/
Go Hogs Go!

texas tush hog

Why are we still having this discussion? The kid made 101 pat's out of 101 attempts his senior year and 157 in a row his last two years. He kicked 24 of 30 field goal attempts his senior year with no misses under 40 yards 7 of 10 as a junior and a national record 25 of 30 his sophomore season. Made 12 from over 40 yards and one from 57. He kicked 54 out of 63 kick-offs out of the end zone when he was  kicking away. Wait until you actually see him kick, like I did when he was in high school and we can have this debate then. I guarantee you the coaches know what he can do or he would no longer be on scholarship. Was redshirted so he could bulk up, so as not to get crushed after his kicks, not because he could not make them. Patience grasshopper patience.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 08, 2015, 11:53:57 am
Why are we still having this discussion? The kid made, 101 pat's out of 101 attempts his senior year and 157 in a row his last two years. He kicked 24 of 30 field goal attempts his senior year with no misses under 40 yards. Made 12 from over 40 yards and one from 57. He kicked 54 out of 63 kick-offs out of the end zone when he was  kicking away. Wait until you actually see him kick, like I did when he was in high school and we can have this debate then. I guarantee you the coaches know what he can do or he would no longer be on scholarship. Was redshirted so he could bulk up, so as not to get crushed after his kicks, not because he could not make them. Patience grasshopper patience.

What? How many times does a kicker get hit, that's pretty weak. If he was kicking them out of the end zone in practice every time, they'd have just put a LB beside him to assure no one hit him. Now, I think he'll be our man this season, but that's to be determined.

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2015, 11:57:49 am
What? How many times does a kicker get hit, that's pretty weak. If he was kicking them out of the end zone in practice every time, they'd have just put a LB beside him to assure no one hit him. Now, I think he'll be our man this season, but that's to be determined.

He was after all, kicking from the forty but I am confident he will be getting them to the end zone consistently. You could ask Steve Little if he were still alive about getting hit at Baylor and the resulting concussion. Coach Broyles could tell you. Baylor nailed Greg Horne after a few extra points. It was one of the coaches that told me he needed to bulk up for football reasons. Have you never seen a kicker have to make a tackle?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 08, 2015, 12:09:00 pm
He was after all, kicking from the forty but I am confident he will be getting them to the end zone consistently. You could ask Steve Little if he were still alive about getting hit at Baylor and the resulting concussion. Coach Broyles could tell you. Baylor nailed Greg Horne after a few extra points. It was one of the coaches that told me he needed to bulk up for football reasons. Have you never seen a kicker have to make a tackle?

He was small coming out of high school, but if there is any bulking up that needs to be done, I am pretty sure it probably has to do with his leg and the fact that we thought we were already pretty set at kicker for the year (last year). That said, most FG's are attempted from the 35 and in, so if he can reliably kick those effectively and consistently, he will be a great weapon for us.
Go Hogs Go!

texas tush hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 08, 2015, 12:18:22 pm
He was small coming out of high school, but if there is any bulking up that needs to be done, I am pretty sure it probably has to do with his leg and the fact that we thought we were already pretty set at kicker for the year (last year). That said, most FG's are attempted from the 35 and in, so if he can reliably kick those effectively and consistently, he will be a great weapon for us.

I'm pretty sure his high school coach said all of his misses were outside forty yards.

KY Hog Man

Reading comprehension anyone?  The point of the OP was not his concern over field goals or extra points, but our poor history kicking it in the end zone on kickoffs. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 08, 2015, 12:18:22 pm
He was small coming out of high school, but if there is any bulking up that needs to be done, I am pretty sure it probably has to do with his leg and the fact that we thought we were already pretty set at kicker for the year (last year).

That's it.  Aren't we glad he has four years now?

Yes we are!

ricepig

Oh, I've seen it before. Our high school kicker a few years ago was our QB, opening kickoff one of their up guys cheap shots him. We score quickly and often that game, our coach put our two best thumpers by the kicker and destroyed that guy the next 7 kickoffs. Towards the end, that guy could have field the kickoffs he was running back there so quick.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 08, 2015, 12:37:37 pm
That's it.  Aren't we glad he has four years now?

Yes we are!

In hindsight, you bet, may be our best ever, but like Rice say's, that is yet to be determined. CBB looks like a genius now, with All-American place kicker and punter for the rest of the decade.

Lake City Hog

I guess it makes me wonder because we have played so many true freshmen over the past 2 seasons. This kid, if he really is what people are saying could have helped us a TON this year.

A made FG in a couple of games would have been huge and how many times have we given up field position with short kicks? How many scores were a direct result of short kickoffs?

ricepig

Quote from: Lake City Hog on March 08, 2015, 03:05:52 pm
I guess it makes me wonder because we have played so many true freshmen over the past 2 seasons. This kid, if he really is what people are saying could have helped us a TON this year.

A made FG in a couple of games would have been huge and how many times have we given up field position with short kicks? How many scores were a direct result of short kickoffs?

He didn't win the battle in August and the decision was made to redshirt him. They watch them kick every day, that's all we have to go on. How many times did we short kick on purpose, trying to trap them inside the 20? I know we tried to boundary kick a few, a few went OB, OM brain farted and stepped OB, how many others were successful? Line drive type kicks 3-5 yards deep usually work, those only to the 5yd line hurt.

Hawgzinbowlz

It got on my nerves that the Texas fans had anything to cheer about.
I'll venture a guess that CBB has improvement in the kicking game penciled toward the top of the 'to do' list for this year.
Cole will have every opportunity to succeed...and I think he will.
We don't need to rehash what an elite kicking game would have added to '14...or even good/average. This part of last season also scrolled my nerves.

" GO HOGS "

Piggfoot

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2015, 11:57:49 am
You apparently are unaware of Steve Little being taken out of the game following a cheap shot after a Kick- off in a Baylor game. Happily, the offender was later punished by inspired Teamates. A player has to be able to protect himself. He cant have a nanny.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ricepig

Quote from: Piggfoot on March 08, 2015, 06:30:18 pm
You apparently are unaware of Steve Little being taken out of the game following a cheap shot after a Kick- off in a Baylor game. Happily, the offender was later punished by inspired Teamates. A player has to be able to protect himself. He cant have a nanny.

Well, then play soccer......

Hoggish1

Quote from: Lake City Hog on March 08, 2015, 03:05:52 pm

Fine.  Hindsight is 20-20.  Maybe we'd be 8-5 but I'd rather have the 4th year with the clock ticking starting 2015.

HogWall Jackson

The player that hit Steve Little with the CHEAP SHOT was Ronnie Lee TE 6'4" 270 lbs. He hit Little trying to knock him out of the game as Little was a weapon as a kicker. Grant Teaff ordered the "HIT." Lee was a 3rd RD. NFL Draft Selection and played 14 years in the League. He was a Freight Train at Baylor.

Lake City Hog

I am lost by some of the comments! IF, and I do say if, a kicker could have made a 2 game difference in our regular season record shouldn't we have played him?

Because I can promise you that I would much rather have Kirkland and Skipper as 5th year seniors than a kicker! Oh, I know some of ya'll expect them both to leave early, but that is not normally the case with O'Linemen.

Hocker wasn't exactly a physical specimen his freshman year, but man he came up with some big kicks for us!! TAM, Alabama, MSU and Mizzou could have been different games with a really good kicker.

ricepig

Quote from: Lake City Hog on March 08, 2015, 09:47:52 pm
I am lost by some of the comments! IF, and I do say if, a kicker could have made a 2 game difference in our regular season record shouldn't we have played him?

Because I can promise you that I would much rather have Kirkland and Skipper as 5th year seniors than a kicker! Oh, I know some of ya'll expect them both to leave early, but that is not normally the case with O'Linemen.

Hocker wasn't exactly a physical specimen his freshman year, but man he came up with some big kicks for us!! TAM, Alabama, MSU and Mizzou could have been different games with a really good kicker.

So, you don't think the coaches knew what they were doing?

Lake City Hog

Rice, you can do better than that.
Do I think that the coaches know what they are doing? YES!
Do I think that coaches make mistakes? YES!

Do I think that I know more than our coaches? NO!!!

I'm just of the opinion that redshirting a kicker and playing a true freshman O'Lineman doesn't quite makes sense.

ricepig

Quote from: Lake City Hog on March 09, 2015, 07:21:27 pm
Rice, you can do better than that.
Do I think that the coaches know what they are doing? YES!
Do I think that coaches make mistakes? YES!

Do I think that I know more than our coaches? NO!!!

I'm just of the opinion that redshirting a kicker and playing a true freshman O'Lineman doesn't quite makes sense.

They play the best, how does it get any more simpler than that? Cole didn't win the job last August, whereas Kirkland and Skipper won their positions.