Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Razorback football game.

Started by centralhog, March 04, 2015, 01:25:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhogfan

North TX St. game in WMS, Oct 1972.  Hogs won easily.  My Dad brought a radio with him so we could listen to Bud Campbell as we watched the game.  It was a night game, place was packed and for a ten year old from a small town it was awesome:  The Razorbacks, the cheerleaders and band, the loud crowd, the Astroturf and the bright lights.  At that moment I thought WMS had to be the greatest stadium in the country.

I actually went to a Razorback basketball game before I did football.  The previous December we had gone to Barton to see Lanny Van Eman's Running Razorbacks lose to Iowa State.  NLR Ole Main and Warren played before the Hogs.  Half the crowd left after the high school game.  Football and Basketball both have come a long way since the early '70s, but those games were so much fun.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on March 04, 2015, 11:28:18 pm
That I remember...

vs Texas

42-11

WPS  :razorback:

What a way to start!

My very first: 1978 Orange Bowl on TV
1st in person: November 1981, Lahay beats Baylor.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

NEArkHog

This year vs Alabama. Just getting to where I could financially attend games this year. Was an awesome experience. Also attended UGA LSU and Ole Piss games this year and bought season tix for next year. Can't wait and GO HOGS!!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: LZH on March 04, 2015, 08:55:58 pm
SMU in Fayetteville....1977, I was ten.  People threw oranges on the field and a couple splashed on my chair as I was standing up - my cool 1970's white denim jeans got OJ all over them.

Which of course led to one of Lou Holtz's all time classic quotes:  "I'm just glad the fans weren't wanting us to go to the Gator Bowl."
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

oldhawg

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: LZH on March 04, 2015, 08:55:58 pm
SMU in Fayetteville....1977, I was ten.  People threw oranges on the field and a couple splashed on my chair as I was standing up - my cool 1970's white denim jeans got OJ all over them.

Funny the things that stick in your mind for whatever reason . . . I vividly remember that I was in Austin with my family (parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) that day to attend my brother's graduation from the UT Law school.  We were listening to the SMU game on the radio as we were driving to the ceremony, and I remember the radio guys commenting on our fans throwing Oranges on the field near the end of the game.

davidharwood

I was taken to the Tulsa game at Razorback Stadium in September, 1959 when I was 7. I remember we sat on boards nailed into the grass in the hillside up behind the North end zone. Also remember a sign in the men's bathroom in the old Student Union (now the psychology building I think) that stated "Flush Twice- Springdale needs the water!"
My name has been carved on the UA sidewalks a total of 3 times, and my daughter's twice, but when I stop getting chills from the Alma Mater and the opening of the Hog Pen gates, I'll know it's time to stay home by the fireplace and wait for the new John Sandford novel.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: TexasTransplant on March 04, 2015, 10:23:20 pm
If I remember correctly, a Razorback player, Claude Smithey, died the week before the game.  Also, J.T. King, the Tech coach made some comments in the press about how SWC officials favored the big dogs in the conference (Texas and Arkansas, at the time).  The Hogs were stopped three times in a goal line stand near the end of the game and there was a lot of controversy over whether or not we had actually gotten in to the end zone and complaining that the officials may have over reacted to King's comments.

It's been a long time, so Old Timers, feel free to jump in and correct me if I have some of this wrong.

You are correct on both points.  Smithey had collapsed after the A&M game a few weeks before, and died (of a blood clot in the brain) the week prior to the Tech game.  At the time, as a kid coming to his first game from El Paso, TX (where my family lived), I was oblivious to this.  But in retrospect, it makes sense as we did not play our normal brand of ball that game. 

However, we did get it together and drive the length of the field late to the lip of the goal line where Britennum called his own number on 3rd and 4th down.  From our vantage, it surely appeared he scored both times, but the call did not go our way.  I was heartbroken and stunned.  And, apparently, so was the team.  They voted to bypass ALL Bowls, and a truly great class that had gone 29-3 during their 3 years (freshmen were not eligible) ended their run in Lubbock instead of the Cotton Bowl, where they should have been.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: davidharwood on March 05, 2015, 10:09:24 am
I was taken to the Tulsa game at Razorback Stadium in September, 1959 when I was 7. I remember we sat on boards nailed into the grass in the hillside up behind the North end zone. Also remember a sign in the men's bathroom in the old Student Union (now the psychology building I think) that stated "Flush Twice- Springdale needs the water!"

We had one in State Hall at UCA that said flush hard, it's a long way to the cafeteria.

Michael D Huff AIA

A game in 1977 in Fayetteville.  I was 3 years old, so I don't know who we played.  My grandparents took me and I was hooked at an early age.  As I grew up, it was the only college I ever wanted to attend.

Many years later when I had a son, I took him to his first Razorback game when he was 3, and we went with my grandfather.  We sat in the same seats.

Some day in the future when my son grows up and has a child of his own I want to make sure I'm there to see my grandchild's first game...in those seats.

It's our Razorback tradition.

hogtilicus

1963 Sugar Bowl.  Undefeated Ole Miss 17   Hogs 13

regi

1977 in WMS, 28-6 win over Okie St. Great night.

Hoot72

November 23, 1963, saw Arkansas play Texas Tech in Fayetteville.  Easy date to remember, because it was the day after Kennedy was shot.

COACHINTEXAS

1970, a 63-0 win over Wichita State. I was 6 at the time and didn't understand why the Hogs fans gave WSU a standing ovation when they came onto the field.
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

Victom

2010 Sugar Bowl was my first game . Scoop and score . The next was the 2011 thrashing we put on USC east . Was my sons first game . Last was the NIU game this year .

GuvHog

I believe it was 1967 at WMS against Texas Tech. It was cold and rainy. I was 12 years old.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Jek Tono Porkins

My first Razorback football game was "The Block." The 2001 game against South Carolina. What an incredible game.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

TexasTransplant

Quote from: Hoot72 on March 05, 2015, 12:55:06 pm
November 23, 1963, saw Arkansas play Texas Tech in Fayetteville.  Easy date to remember, because it was the day after Kennedy was shot.
This was the most subdued crowd I have ever seen at a Razorback game.  A beautiful, crisp fall day, but no one's heart was in the game.  Much of the college football schedule had been cancelled, but Tech was already in town and school officials elected to go ahead with the game.  U of A came in for a lot of criticism over the decision.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

elksnort

tjhawg

Quote from: centralhog on March 04, 2015, 07:57:34 pm
My wife moved to Arkansas the Spring of 92, I took her to her first game that fall.  A 10-3 loss to the Citadel.
It was my first game to.  Not a happy environment lots of very angry fans that continued through dinner at butcher block that night.  Did not make it back until Matt Jones era.  Kind of shell shocked I suppose.

jusgtohogs

1st game was probably 1966 against TCU.  1st memorable game, 1970 in War Memorial Stadium against Wichita State.  Hogs won the game easily and in the 2nd half, a freshman QB named Joe Ferguson came into the game and threw a rope of a pass about 70-yards that blew me away!

HogShat

Hogs vs Horns 1991 in Little Rock. When Dickerson caught that first touchdown on the fake toss, fake wr screen, pass, that place went nuts!!

https://vimeo.com/5070705

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on March 04, 2015, 05:21:30 pm
Oct. 19, 2002. Kentucky. It was really my first exposure to Razorback football and Houston Nutt. Worst called game I've ever seen. Seemed like we ran the draw every other play. By the end of the game, people around were yelling the  what play was before we ran it. Horrible loss, but it was an incredible experience that got me hooked on the Hogs!
I was at that game. Didn't Jared Hefty Lefty Lorenzen throw all over us in that game? Seems like Irremember him throwing TD passes with our linebackers hanging on his back. He was hard qb to bring down! He looked like Tretola back there in the shotgun.

devildog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 04, 2015, 01:50:26 pm
Opening game of 1966, vs. Okie State in Little Rock.  Got to see one game that year, a couple the next, and never missed a LR game for about 20 years beginning in 1968.

Same game, I was 8 years old maybe I saw you there. That was back when everyone in WMS was drinking whiskey out of a brown paper bag and generally raising h#ll.

George S. Pigton

My Dad first bought season tiks for the family in '81, I was going on 14, of course I remember the Texas game most of all that Fall.  Man I hated Texas.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

RedBird5

No idea.  Too young to recall. 

OldCoot

Citadel.  Was sitting on the citadel side because other's brother was an alum there.  Got blasted the entire game.

LZH

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 05, 2015, 09:14:25 am
Which of course led to one of Lou Holtz's all time classic quotes:  "I'm just glad the fans weren't wanting us to go to the Gator Bowl."

Ha!  Excellent.

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 05, 2015, 09:57:16 am
Funny the things that stick in your mind for whatever reason . . . I vividly remember that I was in Austin with my family (parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) that day to attend my brother's graduation from the UT Law school.  We were listening to the SMU game on the radio as we were driving to the ceremony, and I remember the radio guys commenting on our fans throwing Oranges on the field near the end of the game.

Yeah, I had zero idea what the deal was....totally clueless.  There must have been a couple hundred oranges thrown onto the field that day (and onto my chair).  Never will forget it.

Cave City Joe

Too young to remember.  It was in War Memorial and Lance Alworth was playing.  Dad got me in, back in those days firemen got in free if they were in uniform.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

MC_Hog

1983 SMU (Pony Express) in LR. It was raining hard & had a tornado on Baseline during the game.

TheRazorback500

Oklahoma State in LR, Sept. 23, 1967.

6-7 Cowboys. Ugh.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Tusks

My first game too.  I can remember thinking how crazy cool the whole thing was. 

Spent about a half hour with Steve Little a couple of years later, before his accident, and he said that was one of his favorite games.  Nothing special just enjoying the moment.

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 05, 2015, 09:14:25 am
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

cate5672

My first game was 1957 in Fayetteville versus Texas.  Hogs were favored but lost 17-0.  Portends of things to come?  Was I ever glad when we stomped them in the Texas Bowl.

snoblind

1964, Tulsa in Fayetteville.

As I recall, we had a pretty nice run that year.

:)

hogsanity

1979 Houston, in Fay. They Hogs were coming off a win over TX, then came out against Houston and trailed 13-10 late. Mounted a final drive, and once in fg range for Ish Ordonez Holtz played for the tie. The Fg was blocked, the Hogs lost, and ended up going to the Sugar Bowl instead of the Cotton Bowl.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2015, 09:33:55 am
1979 Houston, in Fay. They Hogs were coming off a win over TX, then came out against Houston and trailed 13-10 late. Mounted a final drive, and once in fg range for Ish Ordonez Holtz played for the tie. The Fg was blocked, the Hogs lost, and ended up going to the Sugar Bowl instead of the Cotton Bowl.

IIRC, Ish was working on a string of 15 or so straight made FG's when that block occurred . . . now that I think about it, I wonder if Lou had deja vu when Carlos Hall blocked the S. Carolina kick at the end of the 2001 game in Little Rock?

Swinehart

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 04, 2015, 10:30:34 pm

Wow! Take me back and thanks for the picture . . I though it was 1955 but I guess it was during the 54/55 school year when I was 8 years old. Didn't remember them not having any face masks! Bet there were a lot of players with missing teeth! LOL  Anybody know why it was called the "Powder River" play?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Swinehart on March 09, 2015, 12:41:41 pm

Wow! Take me back and thanks for the picture . . I though it was 1955 but I guess it was during the 54/55 school year when I was 8 years old. Didn't remember them not having any face masks! Bet there were a lot of players with missing teeth! LOL  Anybody know why it was called the "Powder River" play?
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=101615.0

1954 – Powder River Pass[edit]
Arkansas 6 – Ole Miss 0

See also: 1954 Arkansas Razorbacks football team
Arkansas and Ole Miss met in War Memorial Stadium on October 23, 1954. The game was scoreless until the Razorbacks called a trick play: a 66-yard halfback pass from halfback Buddy Bob Benson to Preston Carpenter for the only points of the game. Arkansas head coach Bowden Wyatt named the play after the Powder River, a river in his native Wyoming. The river is a mile wide but deceptively only a foot deep. With the 6–0 win, Arkansas would go on to fall in the 1955 Cotton Bowl Classic against Bobby Dodd's Georgia Tech, and the Rebels would continue to the 1955 Sugar Bowl, losing to Navy.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: MC_Hog on March 08, 2015, 04:55:19 am
1983 SMU (Pony Express) in LR. It was raining hard & had a tornado on Baseline during the game.

Last season for the "Pony Express" tandem of Eric Dickerson and Craig James was 1982.

DeltaBoy

Ark vs Navy in Little Rock 82/83. They had Napolian McCallum who was being hyped for the Heisman but he was sick and did not play.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.