Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Razorback football game.

Started by centralhog, March 04, 2015, 01:25:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

centralhog

The first game I attended was against Ole Miss in Jackson Ms.  Lou Holtz was the coach, Gary Anderson was a RBI and Tom Jones was the QB.  I can remember  one particular rebel fan that was feeling no pain who bought a old plastic hog hat from a fan in the stands for $100.  That taught me a lesson, never leave the house with no more money than I want to spend.  Been hooked on the Hogs since.

Jackrabbit Hog

Opening game of 1966, vs. Okie State in Little Rock.  Got to see one game that year, a couple the next, and never missed a LR game for about 20 years beginning in 1968.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Tsarcasm

I have never been to a Razorback football game  :(. I hope that i can change that this year.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." – Steven Wright

sowmonella

Hogs versus Ole Miss at the old Crump Stadium in Memphis (1959).
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

DoctorSusscrofa

Sugar Bowl of January 1970. Against Archie Who?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

welchog

2 January, 1978 against OU, on a mild evening in Miami, FL.  Awesome game!

pghawg1

1968 game in FAYETTEVILLE, BEAT K-STATE I BELIEVE 14-12.

Hogwop

The first game I attended was the '95 South Carolina game. Hogs won 51-21 and Madre rushed for 5 or 6 TDs.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

HogAlum99

First Razorback game was in 1984 in LR versus Texas Tech.  Beat em 34-0. Still have the Razorback #1 foam finger that I bought at the game.

grayhawg

HF#1

First Football game was 1987 at WMS
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

woopigsooie13

First Razorback game was in 1910 Vs. Drury  ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

WPS!

sowmonella

Quote from: woopigsooie13 on March 04, 2015, 03:48:48 pm
First Razorback game was in 1910 Vs. Drury  ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

I was there too. Great game.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

mhsbc59

to young to remember been going to games since 1986 though
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: pghawg1 on March 04, 2015, 03:04:14 pm
1968 game in FAYETTEVILLE, BEAT K-STATE I BELIEVE 14-12.

We didn't play K. State in 1968 (do the link, then click on the 1968 tab).  We did play them in 1967, but won 28-7.  Not sure what game you're thinking of.

http://gridironhistory.com/pastscores/Arkansas/1968.html

WizardofhOgZ

And, for the record, my first game was a 21-16 loss to Tech in Lubbock, November 1966.  The same day as the monumental 10-10 tie between N. Dame and Michigan State.  As there were no replays in those days, I never did see that (N. Dame - MSU) game.

The loss to Tech for us was our first EVER in that series.  And it kept us from winning the SWC for the third straight year and also hosting the Cotton Bowl for 3 straight years.  SMU snuck in as a result, and Georgia crushed them as we had (22-0) the week before the Tech fiasco.

Artex501

:puke: ... Apparently I'm not ready to talk about it, let's just say it was against LSwho.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 04, 2015, 04:46:17 pm
And, for the record, my first game was a 21-16 loss to Tech in Lubbock, November 1966.  The same day as the monumental 10-10 tie between N. Dame and Michigan State.  As there were no replays in those days, I never did see that (N. Dame - MSU) game.

The loss to Tech for us was our first EVER in that series.  And it kept us from winning the SWC for the third straight year and also hosting the Cotton Bowl for 3 straight years.  SMU snuck in as a result, and Georgia crushed them as we had (22-0) the week before the Tech fiasco.

We started the same season, Wiz.  I was 5 years old but have some vivid memories from that OSU game.  Back then they used to occasionally let people walk on the field after the game and I remember seeing Jon Brittenum walk right by us with his helmet off.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hog991

First game was the 1969 Texas game. My friend told me his dad wasn't going to use his tickets in the morning and we drove up from Fort Smith. Great game except the finish. :puke:

old hog

Against TCU in 61 at LR.  Became a hog fan from that point on.

root_hawg

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 04, 2015, 04:43:24 pm
We didn't play K. State in 1968 (do the link, then click on the 1968 tab).  We did play them in 1967, but won 28-7.  Not sure what game you're thinking of.

http://gridironhistory.com/pastscores/Arkansas/1968.html

That K-State game was my first to attend. 

ComeonHogs!!!

At war memorial in 87. Loss to Texas. I still 5 hi K he trapped the dam ball
State Pride!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on March 04, 2015, 05:02:21 pm
That K-State game was my first to attend.

Joe shoulda started you younger like Don did me.

Hook 'em Hogs

Oct. 19, 2002. Kentucky. It was really my first exposure to Razorback football and Houston Nutt. Worst called game I've ever seen. Seemed like we ran the draw every other play. By the end of the game, people around were yelling the  what play was before we ran it. Horrible loss, but it was an incredible experience that got me hooked on the Hogs!

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 04, 2015, 05:19:38 pm
Joe shoulda started you younger like Don did me.

He and the other coaches took the entire HS team that night.  Tickets were obviously handled a little differently in those days.

Hogfaniam

71 Liberty Bowl vs Tenner.  Dad took me.

Preston Watts  :puke:
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Harley_Hawg

First one I remember was the 76 Cotton Bowl   Arkansas 31    Georgia 10.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on March 04, 2015, 05:21:30 pm
Oct. 19, 2002. Kentucky. It was really my first exposure to Razorback football and Houston Nutt. Worst called game I've ever seen. Seemed like we ran the draw every other play. By the end of the game, people around were yelling the  what play was before we ran it. Horrible loss, but it was an incredible experience that got me hooked on the Hogs!
You are a glutton for punishment, aren't you? 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

pghawg1

THANKS Wiz U R right it was 1967 Kstate game not 1968.

jlhogfan

88 or 89 vs Horns in Austin.  Quinn Grovey, Juju, Atwater, etc...

centralhog

My wife moved to Arkansas the Spring of 92, I took her to her first game that fall.  A 10-3 loss to the Citadel.

Locutus_of_Boar

First game in person was October 10, 1970 in WMS.  Montgomery, Burnett, & the rest of the Superhogs pounded Baylor 41-7.  I remember feeling sorry for the Bears but the main discussion was about the Wichita State team who's plane crashed a week earlier.  The WSU players on their other plane and their freshmen played the Hogs a week or two later.

justmakeit2thebcs

casken

Late 60s in Little Rock. Playing then N.Texas St. Dad pointed out a really good D lineman on their team. I had a hard time understanding an All American playing for a team that was so crappy. It was Joe Green...MEAN joe Green.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Swinehart

I was very young but I got to see an Ole Miss game played in Little Rock in 1955. Ole Miss was highly ranked at the time and I remember that the Razorbacks won a defensive game by scoring only one touchdown on a long pass play thrown by halfback and future Ouachita Baptist Coach: Buddy Bob Benson that was remembered and talked about for years.  :razorback:

LZH

SMU in Fayetteville....1977, I was ten.  People threw oranges on the field and a couple splashed on my chair as I was standing up - my cool 1970's white denim jeans got OJ all over them.

popcornhog

Quote from: hawgzzfan1152 on March 04, 2015, 02:09:42 pm
I have never been to a Razorback football game  :(. I hope that i can change that this year.

Where do you live?
WPS

popcornhog

Tulsa in Fayetteville 1989. I was 5 years old and don't really remember much.

I know we won though!
WPS

TexasTransplant

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 04, 2015, 04:46:17 pm

If I remember correctly, a Razorback player, Claude Smithey, died the week before the game.  Also, J.T. King, the Tech coach made some comments in the press about how SWC officials favored the big dogs in the conference (Texas and Arkansas, at the time).  The Hogs were stopped three times in a goal line stand near the end of the game and there was a lot of controversy over whether or not we had actually gotten in to the end zone and complaining that the officials may have over reacted to King's comments.

It's been a long time, so Old Timers, feel free to jump in and correct me if I have some of this wrong.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Swinehart on March 04, 2015, 08:47:13 pm
I was very young but I got to see an Ole Miss game played in Little Rock in 1955. Ole Miss was highly ranked at the time and I remember that the Razorbacks won a defensive game by scoring only one touchdown on a long pass play thrown by halfback and future Ouachita Baptist Coach: Buddy Bob Benson that was remembered and talked about for years.  :razorback:

rickm1976

I think mine was the '66 Tulsa game in Fayetteville.  The only things I remember about the game were Martine Bercher returning a punt for a touchdown, and Lloyd Phillips terrorizing the Tulsa offense.

sooeey pig pig pig

That I remember...

vs Texas

42-11

WPS  :razorback:

Professor Psychosis

Eastern Michigan 2009.  63-27.  Broderick Green tied the NCAA record for longest rush, the slowest 99 yard touchdown run you will ever see.  Was still faster than their entire team.

bob slydell

2000 at Williams Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC.

The Hogs took it on the chin 27-7. That was the game that clinched bowl eligibility for Lou and SC the year after going 0-11 the previous season.

Seems like Hampton and Clark both went down to injury and we ended up playing Jared McBride. But I could be wrong about that.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Dan42AR

1973 in November against ATM I can only remember 2 things about that day Hogs won and I froze my butt off.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: ArmyHawg on March 05, 2015, 04:10:03 am
2000 at Williams Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC.

The Hogs took it on the chin 27-7. That was the game that clinched bowl eligibility for Lou and SC the year after going 0-11 the previous season.

Seems like Hampton and Clark both went down to injury and we ended up playing Jared McBride. But I could be wrong about that.

McBride got injured too (career ending, I believe) and Hampton came back in, all beaten up. They were going up and down the bench asking if anybody had played quarterback in high school.

I got a sunburn out of the deal.

Like some others, my first game was in 1966 against Oklahoma State in Little Rock. 7 years old. We sat in the end zone where we scored the winning TD. Having only seen high school games from the side, watching a touchdown from the end zone, coming toward me, was the lasting impression from the game.

paul hog

My first game was in in 1964, I was 14 years old.   The week after beating Texas in Austin, the Hogs played Wichita St in Little Rock. The Razorbacks won 17-0.  It was the first of 5 shutouts to finish out the regular season.

Razorback12111

Wasn't my first game because my Dad took me t a lot of the games every year but my best friend moved down from Michigan and we took him to his first Razorback game it was the 1987 Texas game at WMS Texas won on last second throw to the end zone ( still don't know how it was a catch ) but what an atmosphere my friend turned that day from a mich. Fan into a Texas hating Razorback I remember Tony Cherico jumping up and down at the d-line while the crowd was going crazy!!! My buddy said never has seen a more passionate crowd!!! We all have attended at least one game most of the time more every year since lost Dad in 1999 he went to Hog Heaven and so but got to go to a lot of games with his grandkids before the good Lord called his name now me and my buddy make sure we catch at least one game a year now with our thee boys!! He told his son this last season once you become a Razorback you will never be anything but a Razorback!!!

Ibleedred2

Big Shootout 1969, had just turned 7 yrs old a month before.  My dad put me on his shoulders to see Nixon's helicopter fly in.