Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jojo Robinson

Started by GrizzlyRider07, February 26, 2015, 01:21:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 11:30:21 am
It's more about the coaches doing a better job than knock on fl kids...

Coaches doing a better job on getting commits, vetting the players, or what?

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on February 27, 2015, 11:41:10 am
Coaches doing a better job on getting commits, vetting the players, or what?

All the above- It's not easy to find uncommon players no matter the state. Fl happens to be a major focus for us and we need to do better there
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Peter Porker

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 11:30:21 am
It's more about the coaches doing a better job than knock on fl kids...

Take Coach Bielema's quote and explain what the words mean? When I hear problems and due diligence I'm not thinking coaches are an issue. We signed a good class out of Florida. We got Merrick, Graham, Ledbetter, Pulley, and kept Froholdt despite going Florida State University HS.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

twistitup

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 27, 2015, 11:56:40 am
Take Coach Bielema's quote and explain what the words mean? When I hear problems and due diligence I'm not thinking coaches are an issue. We signed a good class out of Florida. We got Merrick, Graham, Ledbetter, Pulley, and kept Froholdt despite going Florida State University HS.
Players don't do due diligence on themselves - that's the recruiters job. We need more fl kids making an impact, ones that fit the mold

There may be recruits that are a better fit for other programs- find the ones that fit ours.
Clean it up

Peter Porker

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 11:59:37 am
Players don't do due diligence on themselves - that's the recruiters job. We need more fl kids making an impact, ones that fit the mold

Clean it up

What are some of the problems we are having?

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

twistitup

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 27, 2015, 12:00:54 pm
What are some of the problems we are having?

Class attendance - not an indicator of character issues, it's more about maturity and discipline. I'm willing to bet it's not a FL issue either. FL is  fertile recruiting ground for us and we have limited schollies available  - clean it up, let's not miss on kids due to a lack 'due diligence'

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 12:04:30 pm
Class attendance - not an indicator of character issues, it's more about maturity and discipline. I'm willing to bet it's not a FL issue either. FL us fertile recruiting ground for us and we have limited schollies - clean it up

I think you're splitting hairs.  PP was pretty much correct in his interpretation. 

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 12:05:47 pm
I think you're splitting hairs.  PP was pretty much correct in his interpretation. 

I disagree ....the coaches recruit the kids and they must do a better job selecting players that fit our program. We are going after a different type of recruit

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 12:06:18 pm
I disagree ....the coaches recruit the kids and they must do a better job selecting players that fit our program

And they may not fit the program because of character issues, which would include class attendance, work ethic, etc.  I mean, I doubt he's talking about any specific player or players, just in general.  But I don't see much of a difference between what you said and what PP said.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 12:08:44 pm
And they may not fit the program because of character issues, which would include class attendance, work ethic, etc.  I mean, I doubt he's talking about any specific player or players, just in general.  But I don't see much of a difference between what you said and what PP said.

A college kid missing class is a character issue? Or is it a maturity issue?

This is not a fl recruit / character issue, this is an uncommon recruit issue- not easy to find. The responsibility to clean up FL recruiting falls on the recruiters - do a better job in FL

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 12:11:26 pm

This is not a fl recruit / character issue, this is an uncommon recruit issue- not easy to find. The responsibility to clean up FL recruiting falls on the recruiters - do a better job in FL

Maturity is a character issue. 

J Man

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 26, 2015, 08:27:03 pm
This is what he said,

"We have to make sure we're clean in Florida. Some of the problems we're having now maybe we didn't do our due diligence on some kids."

I heard it completely different than that.   He mentioned doing the due diligence on kids, but started talking about Florida after that.   Was not the same thing.

East TN HAWG

Someday Alex Collins, Korliss Marshall and Jojo will appreciate CBB suspending them for behavior such as not going to class.  Many college athletes grow up in single parent homes, and they do not have the parental guidance they need to mature into a responsible adult.  Wishy washy coaches really do athletes more harm than good by not properly disciplining them.     

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 12:27:12 pm

Really....if thats the case we ALL have character flaws- I would assume you were immature at one point too. Being young and away from home for the first time is a huge move, not attending class and being a touch immature IS NOT what coach B is referring to.

Not attending class / being immature at 17 is not a chacter issue - it's a developmental issue that can be resolved, usually w time and discipline.

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 01:57:55 pm
Really....if thats the case we ALL have character flaws- I would assume you were immature at one point too. Being young and away from home for the first time is a huge move, not attending class and being a touch immature IS NOT what coach B is referring to.

Not attending class / being immature at 17 is not a chacter issue - it's a developmental issue that can be resolved, usually w time and discipline.

I think it's a character issue that can be resolved, no doubt.  But being immature is a character flaw at some point.  When it gets you in danger of being booted from your team, it's a character flaw.  I'm not saying it's a really bad one, but if it isn't worked out it can turn into one.

Peter Porker

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 02:07:05 pm
I think it's a character issue that can be resolved, no doubt.  But being immature is a character flaw at some point.  When it gets you in danger of being booted from your team, it's a character flaw.  I'm not saying it's a really bad one, but if it isn't worked out it can turn into one.

Yep. Repeated instances denote character issue.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 12:11:26 pm

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 12:27:12 pm

I graduated with a B.S. in Chemistry (3.4 gpa), with minors in Math and Biology, worked during my entire four years of school, was president of my fraternity,  elected to the Student Senate, and dated the sweetest Summa Kum Lauda ever.

But I promise you I would have HATED to be held to the class attendance standards our players are under!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 27, 2015, 02:22:46 pm
I graduated with a B.S. in Chemistry (3.4 gpa), with minors in Math and Biology, worked during my entire four years of school, was president of my fraternity,  elected to the Student Senate, and dated the sweetest Summa Kum Lauda ever.

But I promise you I would have HATED to be held to the class attendance standards our players are under!

True.  But I bet you followed the ones provided by your program of study, didn't you?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: J Man on February 27, 2015, 12:28:25 pm
I heard it completely different than that.   He mentioned doing the due diligence on kids, but started talking about Florida after that.   Was not the same thing.
The discussion at that point was about how they can continue to be successful in recruiting Florida. Bielema referred to the disciplinary issues that he had previously mentioned (Jo Jo suspended and an unnamed player about to be suspended) and said that they had be cleaner in their recruiting. But I'm told that he's also holding the position coaches accountable for those issues once a kid arrives on campus.

For instance it would be a good idea for Michael Smith to try and make sure another problem does not develop with Jo Jo. As I mentioned in another thread Joel Thomas left in part because he knew Bielema was running out of patience with some of the issues they were having with Alex Collins. He expected Thomas to fix it.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 02:27:01 pm
True.  But I bet you followed the ones provided by your program of study, didn't you?

You are really struggling with the definition of a character flaw. It goes much deeper than class attendance or immaturity at 17/18

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 02:36:54 pm
You are really struggling with the definition of a character flaw. It goes much deeper than class attendance or immaturity at 17/18

I tell you what, you post the definition, just so I can learn how to better interpret the term.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 02:27:01 pm

To be truthful, BARELY in my upper level math classes.  They were always five days a week, and usually either 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon.

Let me tell you, it's hard as crap to go to Calculus class at 2 on a Friday afternoon when your friends are cracking open Buds and the girls in the short shorts and halter tops are roaming the campus!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 02:38:53 pm
I tell you what, you post the definition, just so I can learn how to better interpret the term.

I think the bigger picture is Bret is trying to build something uncommon (duh!) and special and he's holding these kids to standards to are way above what even good kids their ages are held to.

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 27, 2015, 02:43:15 pm
To be truthful, BARELY in my upper level math classes.  They were always five days a week, and usually either 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon.

Let me tell you, it's hard as crap to go to Calculus class at 2 on a Friday afternoon when your friends are cracking open Buds and the girls in the short shorts and halter tops are roaming the campus!!

I preferred late classes to 8am classes.  Those killed me.  I had to take finite math at 8am one semester.  It was the lowest grade I made my entire way through college and grad school.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 02:38:53 pm

Here's 10:

http://www.doctorbrunner.com/10-character-flaws-that-can-derail-even-good-people/

Simply breaking a few team rules dies not equate to a character flaw. These kids are here for football and school is part of the deal - it's not easy and very few of us on this board can see it through a players perspective

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 02:46:29 pm
Here's 10:

http://www.doctorbrunner.com/10-character-flaws-that-can-derail-even-good-people/

Ok, there's a few examples.  Now post the actual definition of a character flaw, since your claim was that I have trouble defining it. I could do it for you, but I want you to post it so you can prove yourself wrong.

hogcam

Football players are required to go to the classes that even the professor tells you that it's not that important to be in class everyday.  A lot of professors will tell you, "as long as you keep up on your own, then I don't care if you're here or not."  I missed a ton of classes that were pointless of going to and made A's, but the football players are required to attend those classes so I can see where it would be hard being a football player.  Skipping class is by no means a character flaw.

ricepig

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 27, 2015, 02:43:15 pm

Amen, brother, amen.....

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 02:47:28 pm
Ok, there's a few examples.  Now post the actual definition of a character flaw, since your claim was that I have trouble defining it. I could do it for you, but I want you to post it so you can prove yourself wrong.

A fundamental flaw in ones personslity that can hinder future success / advancement.

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 02:51:20 pm
A fundamental flaw in ones personslity that can hinder future success / advancement.

QuoteA character flaw is a limitation, imperfection, problem, phobia, or deficiency present in a character who may be otherwise very functional. The flaw can be a problem that directly affects the character's actions and abilities, such as a violent temper. Alternatively, it can be a simple foible or personality defect, which affects the character's motives and social interactions, but little else.
Now, being immature fits in this category.  It's not something that can't be overcome, but it's a character flaw if you choose to not go to class knowing it will hurt your chances to be a football star.  Sorry, it just is.  Like I said, it's one that can be easily overcome, and I have no doubts he likely will. 

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 02:54:42 pm
Now, being immature fits in this category.  It's not something that can't be overcome, but it's a character flaw if you choose to not go to class knowing it will hurt your chances to be a football star.  Sorry, it just is.  Like I said, it's one that can be easily overcome, and I have no doubts he likely will. 

Long term vs short term.....things that are easily overcome are NOT character flaws. Things like an explosive, violent temper on the other hand could take much, much more work / therapy to overcome and would be considered a true flaw.

Once again temporary immaturity (due to age) is not a character flaw.

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2015, 03:00:40 pm
Long term vs short term.....things that are easily overcome are NOT character flaws. Things like an explosive, violent temper on the other hand take much, much more work / therapy.

Once again temporary immaturity (due to age) is not a character flaw.

No where in the definition does it include short term vs long term.  You invented that.  Beyond that, you have no idea with this particular player if it's long term or short term.  He could have always been immature, and it's continued here.  Look dude, you misinterpreted what CBB said.  He was specifically saying that some of the players from florida could have been vetted better.  PP was right.  And now you're going further down the rabbit hole, and getting even further out there.  This is pointless. 

Oklahawg

If HV had the same "character" standards that CBB has this board would be a freaking ghost town. Traffic would slow to a crawl. Membership would be cut by a factor of ten.

:) ;) :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PorkRinds

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 27, 2015, 03:10:42 pm
If HV had the same "character" standards that CBB has this board would be a freaking ghost town. Traffic would slow to a crawl. Membership would be cut by a factor of ten.

:) ;) :)

I'd be out of here, no doubt.

twistitup

February 27, 2015, 03:20:40 pm #84 Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:33:14 pm by twistitup
Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 03:03:47 pm
No where in the definition does it include short term vs long term.  You invented that. 

Invented? Are you sure about that?
It's called common sense, if a teenager misses the occasional class it's not a character flaw. Long term, deep issues are, but not minor missteps.

It is up to the coaches to clean up FL recruiting by finding more uncommon players that fit our mold.

Peter Porker

When you're told to do something and you can't/won't because you're immature and lack discipline then that's a character issue.

regardless, I believe I'm correct in my original assumption.

reddogjcss

Young men are apt to mess up. Lord I did! A good kick in the pants usually will straighten them out or in my case a kick in the pants and lick across the head.
I'm so glad there is accountability in our program and kids know they are cared for. When kids know you want the best for them in life not just the football field they will have a great response and straighten up. You will also get that extra effort out of them.
The way coach B handles these situations is GREAT. Getting a mom involved and teaching the kids better choices is PRICELESS.

twistitup

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 27, 2015, 04:09:51 pm
When you're told to do something and you can't/won't because you're immature and lack discipline then that's a character issue.

Were you ever young? Or....are you so old you can't remember being young? It's one or the other

Theolesnort

Gee, some people on here would argue over the posted speed on a traffic sign. You are arguing over semantics about what is a character flaw and what isn't. Try this on for size - Bret Bielema is looking for characters in forming his football team or Bret Bielema is looking for character in the individuals forming his football team. Of course it is the second statement since there is a big difference in the two statements. Basically, Bret is looking for good malleable clay without all the dirt and grit and mud mixed into the clay in forming up his team. Young men that are willing and eager to work and grind to be the best they can be. One thing is for sure since non of us are perfect, we all have character flaws just like all clay has some imperfections. It just depends on what degree and how bad the flaws are.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.