Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Student attendance at games.

Started by mizzouman, February 24, 2015, 07:53:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Serious question.  I put it in MMQ because I didn't know where else to put it and this gets the most traffic.

The student body has grown at the UofA a lot over the past several years and I suspect that it's partly, if not mainly, due to the fact that students who graduate from high schools in bordering states, if they meet very minimum requirements, can basically attend for what the in state tuition is, roughly.  So, the cost is cheaper for a Missouri kid to go to Fayetteville than it is to go to Mizzou.  We can argue this point but this isn't my question.

So my question is, are these students from Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, etc., as passionate for the Hogs as the kids coming in from Arkansas?  I would hope so, but a poster in Jump Ball made the remark that the increase in enrollment hasn't increase student attendance at games, particularly basketball games.

Any comments welcomed.

ricepig

I'd worry about the student attendance at Mizzou if I was you, pretty embarrassing lately. And as far as out of state kids fandom, from what I've seen of my son's friends, it's just as adamant. There will be over 4500 students there tonight, you do the math and research if it really intrigues you.

thirrdegreetusker

February 24, 2015, 08:26:33 am #2 Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:55:17 am by thirrdegreetusker
I have been observing student attendance at UA games for over 40 years. I can tell you, without fear of contradiction, that there is no rhyme or reason to attendance numbers for UA students.

After the Final Four in '78, I stood in line all night for student season BB tickets in Fall '78. When that "all-night" line of students all got tickets, there were lots of tickets still left unclaimed. My younger brother strolled up, hours later, no line, walked right up to the ticket window, and got season books.

Decades later, at BWA, the student section was often half-full, even for a conference game while we were winning.   Just no predicting it.

Other years, there have been groups of students outraged at the lack of ticket availability for students. But, about 1987, though no longer a student, I had gotten "student turnback" tickets for so many consecutive years that I became a season ticket holder by default, with no scholarship donation.  Weird.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

dhizzle

It could be lots of things. I think we forget that some kids do not give a rats rear-end about sports and just want to get an education and party.

The_Iceman

mizzouman

Quote from: ricepig on February 24, 2015, 08:11:46 am
I'd worry about the student attendance at Mizzou if I was you, pretty embarrassing lately. And as far as out of state kids fandom, from what I've seen of my son's friends, it's just as adamant. There will be over 4500 students there tonight, you do the math and research if it really intrigues you.
Not worried about Mizzou.  Just curious.  Don't take offense.

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 24, 2015, 08:54:29 am
Mizzou Basketball Attendance:

Yes, this sucks.  But, I'm asking about Arkansas.

ricepig

mizzouman

Quote from: dhizzle on February 24, 2015, 08:46:47 am
It could be lots of things. I think we forget that some kids do not give a rats rear-end about sports and just want to get an education and party.
This is true.  Just following up on what someone posted in Jump Ball.  He thought that the growing enrollment didn't equate to student attendance.  Just wondering why?

I'm thinking it's the same across the country.  Students are being pulled away from the games and it's really sad.  Teams are for the students and alumni but student attendance across the country is going down.

Sad state of affairs for college sports

The_Iceman

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on February 24, 2015, 07:53:22 am
The student body has grown at the UofA a lot over the past several years and I suspect that it's partly, if not mainly, due to the fact that students who graduate from high schools in bordering states, if they meet very minimum requirements, can basically attend for what the in state tuition is, roughly.  So, the cost is cheaper for a Missouri kid to go to Fayetteville than it is to go to Mizzou.  We can argue this point but this isn't my question.

So my question is, are these students from Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, etc., as passionate for the Hogs as the kids coming in from Arkansas?  I would hope so, but a poster in Jump Ball made the remark that the increase in enrollment hasn't increase student attendance at games, particularly basketball games. Any comments welcomed.

SEC 2013-14 Attendance (entering Feb. 8 games)

Team              2013-14 Average      +/- Last Year At This Time
Kentucky              22,662                      < 1% decrease
Tennessee            14,856                             -11%
Arkansas               13,945                               +7%
Florida                  11,145                              +11%
Alabama                10,597                               -10%
Vanderbilt               9,311                               -11%
South Carolina         9,228                                  +7%
LSU                       8,949                                +24%
Missouri                  8,637                                 -23%
Ole Miss                 7,052                                  +22%
Mississippi State       6,851                                 +2%
Georgia                   6,343                                   +13%
Auburn                   5,647                                    -8%
Texas A&M              5,098                                  -16%

Entering this season, the average crowd nationally at men's basketball games had declined six straight years. One reason for the lower national average could be more schools in Division I -- and in the post-expansion SEC, for that matter. But there's a larger issue as basketball fights for regular-season relevance and with so many games televised.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/sec_asks_espn_for_help_with_co.html
Go Hogs Go!

HamIAm

Quote from: mizzouman on February 24, 2015, 09:29:29 am
This is true.  Just following up on what someone posted in Jump Ball.  He thought that the growing enrollment didn't equate to student attendance.  Just wondering why?

I'm thinking it's the same across the country.  Students are being pulled away from the games and it's really sad.  Teams are for the students and alumni but student attendance across the country is going down.

Sad state of affairs for college sports

You read the post in "Jump Ball" but didn't know where make a post about basketball attendance?

fanofthehog

Quote from: HamIAm on February 24, 2015, 09:57:42 am
You read the post in "Jump Ball" but didn't know where make a post about basketball attendance?
He answered that in his post, more traffic here.  The guy asks a serious question and people to start ripping him, I guess I just don't get it.  Not blaming you Ham, but several have jumped down his throat when he just asked a question.

ricepig

The student ticket's allotment hasn't changed much, if at all, since BWA opened, why would he think the attendance would be up? They have started letting the students have extra overflow in the upper deck since those seats no longer sell as season ticket sales. They sell something like 10,000 Access Pass to the students for all sporting events, but were limited to around 3200-3500 seats in BWA if my memory hasn't failed too much.

PaintballHog

When I went to UofA, one of my buddies from HS was a huge Tenn fan, and wore their gear on campus. It took maybe 3 weeks before he ditched it all.

Also, you can tell with all custom razorback out of state plates in the parking garages that the students are all hog.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on February 24, 2015, 07:53:22 am
Serious question.  I put it in MMQ because I didn't know where else to put it and this gets the most traffic.

So my question is, are these students from Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, etc., as passionate for the Hogs as the kids coming in from Arkansas?  I would hope so, but a poster in Jump Ball made the remark that the increase in enrollment hasn't increase student attendance at games, particularly basketball games.

Any comments welcomed.

Attendance in most places is directly proportional to the amount of winning. Your own tigers are a good example of that...............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Arkansas WR

As a current student (freshman), I would say that out of state kids are hit and miss with their amount of passion toward Razorback sports. I would say the same about in-state kids too. I went to high school in northwest Arkansas. I know a ton of guys from Texas that love the hogs. I personally attend almost all the games, but obviously more people show up when we are winning or when it is a big game. I am more of a basketball fan than football fan, but the football games are more fun. Fraternity row is where it is at.

Uncommon

This thread has me rolling.  Really student section attendance has been pretty solid all year long.  Most games their are students that have to sit in the upper deck.  I think the problem is the non student attendance on mid week games at 8 p.m.  That's because the central and southern Arkansas fans have a hard decision if they want to come up for the game because by the time they would get home from the game it would be like 1 or 2 in the morning with work the next day.

Also I kind of think it just takes some time for people to get in the basketball mood.  I think the season needs to be pushed back two weeks.  Have it start in Early December, regular season end in mid to late March, and have the tournament end in mid April.  The NBA Playoffs start in mid April as well so it wouldn't conflict with that.

But I think everybody should try and make it out to the game tonight.  It's against a good Texas A&M team, we're ranked in the Top 20, Nolan Richardson is being honored with a banner, and this may be the next to last game at Bud Walton Arena for Bobby Portis.  Too many reasons to go than not to go.

Huckleberry Pig

can mizzou build a proper press box high enough for a normal televised view of a football game.  feels like watching a damn high school game when mizzou has home games televised. 

Uncommon

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on February 24, 2015, 02:11:47 pm
can mizzou build a proper press box high enough for a normal televised view of a football game.  feels like watching a damn high school game when mizzou has home games televised.
For me the question is could Missouri move into the 21st century and have a press conference/media room so opposing coaches could have their press conferences indoors and not under some weak tent with no lighting?  Embarrasing.

Cresthog

From my class, dallas guys were huge into the hogs, probably because of their parents.

A lot of the Overland Park kids hung hard on KU, at least basketball.

There's not a lot of STL kids that go to the U of A and most of the SW Mizzou people are hog fans anyway.

Memphis kids are also all about the hogs.

Oklahoma is mixed, but they're probably the worst as far as still have allegiance to OU.

mizzouman

Quote from: HamIAm on February 24, 2015, 09:57:42 am
Uh, it's about attendance at  ALL sporting events.....

mizzouman

Quote from: PaintballHog on February 24, 2015, 12:25:00 pm
When I went to UofA, one of my buddies from HS was a huge Tenn fan, and wore their gear on campus. It took maybe 3 weeks before he ditched it all.

Also, you can tell with all custom razorback out of state plates in the parking garages that the students are all hog.

That's good to know.  They are coming around.

mizzouman

Quote from: Arkansas WR on February 24, 2015, 01:29:11 pm
As a current student (freshman), I would say that out of state kids are hit and miss with their amount of passion toward Razorback sports. I would say the same about in-state kids too. I went to high school in northwest Arkansas. I know a ton of guys from Texas that love the hogs. I personally attend almost all the games, but obviously more people show up when we are winning or when it is a big game. I am more of a basketball fan than football fan, but the football games are more fun. Fraternity row is where it is at.
Thanks.  Good insight.

mizzouman

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on February 24, 2015, 02:11:47 pm

Sure, I'll get right on it.

mizzouman

Quote from: Uncommon on February 24, 2015, 02:19:54 pm
For me the question is could Missouri move into the 21st century and have a press conference/media room so opposing coaches could have their press conferences indoors and not under some weak tent with no lighting?  Embarrasing.
I have to agree.  Pitiful.  But, the entire south endzone will be built up for the offices, new locker rooms, weight room, the whole nine yards.  Approval for that coming soon.

Now, about student attendance.  Do you see that going up with the increased enrollment?

mizzouman

Quote from: Cresthog on February 24, 2015, 02:23:38 pm
From my class, dallas guys were huge into the hogs, probably because of their parents.

A lot of the Overland Park kids hung hard on KU, at least basketball.

There's not a lot of STL kids that go to the U of A and most of the SW Mizzou people are hog fans anyway.

Memphis kids are also all about the hogs.

Oklahoma is mixed, but they're probably the worst as far as still have allegiance to OU.
But, do you see the increase in enrollment having any impact on student attendance?

all4hawgs

We were top 5 in attendance from 94-99 and only missed one top 25 in attendance in 2011 ... this includes everybody not just student body

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attendanceYBYtop25.pdf

ChemEHawg

Although this is a blatant troll thread mizzouman, and I don't appreciate the back handed insults, I've done the Google search for you:

UofA 20 ACT with 3.0 GPA from Highschool
http://admissions.uark.edu/apply/118.php

Misery rolling scores but with a 20 ACT score kids need a 3.20 GPA from HS
http://www.admissions.missouri.edu/apply/freshmen/requirements/test-scores.php

It is only marginally more difficult to enroll at Columbia than Fayetteville. With that information, please stop your assumption that Fayetteville is the catch all for misery's unwanted masses.
Thanks for all the info.  Will probably stick to one of the places close to the hotel so that if I have a few too many I can stagger back.  Nothing better than your kids seeing you drunk.  I don't look at it as a bad example but rather a cautionary tale.<br /><br />-Dwight_K_Shrute<br /><br />I can't wait to have kids...

HawgNthaWater

There are several things at play here. Supply and demand + product on the court. We have a stadium that is too big for the current nature of Arkansas Basketball. We prioritize season ticket holder seats to that of the students based on the income that seat can produce. We also saw winning turn into losing over an extended period of time. The teams were not only loosing but the style in which they put worth was more boring that the lose itself.

Now is BWA great when the team is winning and the place is packed hell ya it is but we are going to need to sustain a high level of winning to change the atomsphere.

I am fortunate enough to have out kicked my coverage and my better half is a KU alum so I have had the opportunity to go to some games at Phog Allen this year and last. The first thing I noticed was that when we pulled up 2 hours prior to tip against Texas Tech (not a glorified opponent to set the stage) the line was a good 400+ to get into the game. Now yes I am fully aware that it is much smaller but I learned that the line was for students and General Admission. So there was a set number of both Student and GA; if the students didn't fulfill their end then it was opened up to the GA.

Their tradition is crazy good and arguably the best in all of college basketball but the fact remained the stadium was packed a hour before tip for a soso conference opponent.

The have developed the perfect supply and demand to warrant the fans waiting in the cold for everyday whether a student or a GA + the product has been great considering they are going for their 11 straight conference title.

I would love to see Bud Walton make more premium seats for students and the rowdy GA fan to increase the atmosphere but I just don't see that happening for quite some time. There isn't a right or wrong answer here to fix it but until we start winning consistently over an extended period of time I think we are going to be left we a ho hum atmosphere for the foreseeable future night in and night out.
"Listen old man, it's 4th and 1. Either stand up and watch, or just imagine the sh*t like you did during the golden era of radio!"

ricepig

Quote from: mizzouman on February 24, 2015, 03:52:30 pm
But, do you see the increase in enrollment having any impact on student attendance?

Did you not read my response to the student seating being basically the same as when BWA opened? Has Mizzou's student attendance increased as the school has grown? Why is it atrocious this year? Will it be atrocious next year?

HamIAm

Quote from: mizzouman on February 24, 2015, 03:47:24 pm
Uh, it's about attendance at  ALL sporting events.....

Have we been having problems getting students to use their full allotment at football games?

1highhog

Quote from: HamIAm on February 24, 2015, 06:09:38 pm
Have we been having problems getting students to use their full allotment at football games?

I think most are used for Football, the only problem is keeping the majority of students there after halftime.

Horsesrus

I'm from St Louis and my daughter is a senior in Fayetteville.  I can't comment on her fandom compared to someone who was raised in Arkansas, but I can assure you she's all Hog when compared to Missouri.  She's not a huge basketball fan but still attends some games that don't interfere with her classes this semester. She attends football games pretty consistently and also likes to go to baseball games.  I wouldn't call her a rabid fan regarding attending every game but she is very in tune to everything Hog related and SEC related in the world of sports.  She is still pissed that Missouri was allowed into the SEC.  We both think they are not a cultural fit with Missouri lacking the rabid following you see at other SEC schools.  The apathy for Missouri in St Louis is noticeable, more a reflection of being a pro sports town.