Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Better SG

Started by BannerMountainMan, March 29, 2017, 05:29:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 31, 2017, 08:03:36 am
Him not being here this season was probably the difference in Moses not getting drafted (if he doesn't) versus getting drafted. I'm hoping Arlando Cook makes a Durham-like jump next season. We saw it with Delvon Johnson, too. Delvon was just really bad as a junior. Couldn't catch anything, just bad. Defensive monsters as a senior and averaged nearly 10 points, 7 rebounds and 3 blocks. That's the biggest JUCO jump for a Hog I've seen in my adult life, followed by Durham. People were okay with Durham's spot getting taken after his junior year. We have to stop doing that to players. It's already starting with Brachen Hazen. It doesn't look to me like he'll get to play much, but he does have a year in the system and we were pleased with his skill level coming in. I'm treating it like a hybrid redshirt season (similar to Trey Thompson's freshman year).

You think Durham would've seen the floor much?  It would've been tough to play him over Macon, Barford, Hannahs, Watkins and sometimes even Beard. 

niels_boar

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 31, 2017, 05:37:25 pm
You think Durham would've seen the floor much?  It would've been tough to play him over Macon, Barford, Hannahs, Watkins and sometimes even Beard.

Beard had our top assist rate at guard this season in SEC play at 12.3 minutes per assist.  The year before Durham was at 4.6 minutes per assist against 18 minutes per TO.  Steal rate is a similar story.  There was a lot of talk that Durham's numbers were rule-change aided.  One of the injustices of that team being short-handed is that most fans don't realize just how good Durham was.  He wasn't a great scorer, but this team had plenty of those.  Durham would have played as much as any guard on the team as the by far best ball handler and on-the-ball defender on this squad.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

sadhogfan

Quote from: niels_boar on March 31, 2017, 02:04:49 pm
It's difficult to compare Bradley and Hannahs becaused they played with different rules and with teammates of different strengths. Bradley played in a defense where it was easier to hide his shortcomings, though he found a way to be an asset in the team defense. It was true of Thurman as well. That defense also created more trey opportunities in transition.  In addition, Reid was a much more dynamic penetrator than the PGs getting Hannahs the ball. Hannahs had the advantage of playing with more offensive talent around him, but that also meant that Bradley was expected to hunt shots.  CNR ran a lot of screens to free him up, and defenses were less universally focused on the arc than they are now. 

Hannahs without question had more scoring tricks than Bradley.  He was better at creating his own shot inside and outside the arc. He also got to the line about 40% more often, partly rule aided.   Hannahs gets the edge on O. I'll give Bradley an edge on defense, but I'm not convinced that he was a lot better on D than Hannahs. Bradley had 50+ steals twice, more than anybody on the team this season.  He's not a better defender than Watkins or Barford.  Which one I would take would depend on the need of the roster.  I'd reserve a slot for either a Dusty or Shootah on any Hog roster.

Yep.

sadhogfan

Quote from: niels_boar on April 01, 2017, 12:04:31 am
Beard had our top assist rate at guard this season in SEC play at 12.3 minutes per assist.  The year before Durham was at 4.6 minutes per assist against 18 minutes per TO.  Steal rate is a similar story.  There was a lot of talk that Durham's numbers were rule-change aided.  One of the injustices of that team being short-handed is that most fans don't realize just how good Durham was.  He wasn't a great scorer, but this team had plenty of those.  Durham would have played as much as any guard on the team as the by far best ball handler and on-the-ball defender on this squad.

Yep, again.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: HogsonHicks on March 29, 2017, 08:03:21 pm
Clarke also had more (clothing) steals than Bradley or Hannahs!

See my sig line :)
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room