Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm not sure

Started by BannerMountainMan, March 29, 2017, 02:30:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

Would you rather win the NIT championship or make the round of 32 and lose or even the sweet 16 and lose? I was just thinking about that last night after watching the semis of the NIT.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

logic

Winning the NIT is good as going to the elite 8 but not as good as the final 4.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: logic on March 29, 2017, 02:49:51 pm

Winning the NIT is not even close to going to the elite 8. It might be as good as winning a first round game but even that is questionable. So you beat a few teams that didn't make the dance just like you didn't. No big deal. All that really does is give their fans and school a little bit of reason to say "see we should have been in the dance".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Would rather lose in first round of NCAA than win NIT.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Karma on March 29, 2017, 03:11:02 pm

In that case, I would rather win the NIT
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

King Kong

No

RaisinHog

I couldn't tell you who is left in.the Not and I'm a basketball fan .... Enough said

RaisinHog

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 29, 2017, 04:22:44 pm
I couldn't tell you who is left in.the NIT and I'm a basketball fan .... Enough said

010HogFan

Not even close

phadedhawg

Personally, I could care less about the NIT.  If Arkansas qualified for it I would want to win it but I wouldn't expect any national respect for it.  It's good experience for the kids though. 

Any round of the NCAA tourney is better than winning the NIT.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 29, 2017, 05:00:40 pm
Personally, I could care less about the NIT.  If Arkansas qualified for it I would want to win it but I wouldn't expect any national respect for it.  It's good experience for the kids though. 

Any round of the NCAA tourney is better than winning the NIT.
Nolan thought it was a huge accomplishment
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HamIAm

Quote from: Karma on March 29, 2017, 03:11:02 pm

THIS

hawganatic

The minimum goal for every season is to make the NCAA Tournament.  If you win the NIT that means you whiffed on your most basic goal.

Like bragging about your Associates degree to somebody that just completed a bachelors.

mbgrulz

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 29, 2017, 05:07:42 pm
It is a big accomplishment, and maybe even more so today due to it being harder to get into the tourney and therefore more good teams leftover for the NIT.

That said, I'd trade a loss in the first round for an NIT title I think.

PossumFan

How many teams set making the NCAA tourney as a goal in the preseason? How many set winning the NIT as a goal? There's your answer.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 29, 2017, 04:22:44 pm
I couldn't tell you who is left in.the Not and I'm a basketball fan .... Enough said

Heck I didn't even know who got invited to play in it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

You and I both know he would have preferred to be in the dance.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 29, 2017, 02:30:40 pm
Would you rather win the NIT championship or make the round of 32 and lose or even the sweet 16 and lose? I was just thinking about that last night after watching the semis of the NIT.

Would rather make the NCAAT than go to the NIT, absolutely no doubt about it. The NIT is pointless.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 29, 2017, 05:23:57 pm
It is a big accomplishment, and maybe even more so today due to it being harder to get into the tourney and therefore more good teams leftover for the NIT.

That said, I'd trade a loss in the first round for an NIT title I think.

It is actually EASIER to get into the dance today with the way it expanded over the years.

Am I guessing correctly to say the NCAA took 48 tams the year Nolan won the NIT.  I personally would rather win the NIT than lose a second round game in the NCAA.  I believe the NIT took 32 teams back then, not sure.

rude1

Winning NIT = your are No. 69. Nothing to brag about. It's NCAA Tourney or bust, that is always the goal and I don't care if you are put out in the first round.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 29, 2017, 02:30:40 pm

I hate the NIT. Every round of it.

ShadowHawg

It was at Tulsa. Understandable.

lakecityhog

With the number of auto bids the "best" 64 teams is no where near the truth. SEVERAL conference champs are not even close to a top 64 team.

When Nolan was hired I read 2 things that really gave me hope that he could get us to a National Championship.
1. He won a Juco National Championship.
2. He won an NIT.

Those 2 things told me that he knew how to win the "Big" Game and given the resources that we hve he could do it here. AND, he did!

Winning the NIT is quite a bit better than #65 or 69!

mbgrulz

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 29, 2017, 06:07:52 pm
It is actually EASIER to get into the dance today with the way it expanded over the years.
Since '85  they have taken 64 teams (68 since 2011). I didn't realize Nolan won the NIT before it expanded. It looks like they took 48 teams to the dance when Nolan won it. What I was referring to was the fact that back in the day, basically you could count on the P5 conferences dominating the tourney and 20 Ws would get you in, no questions asked. Now you have a lot of at-large bids getting eaten up by teams that would have had to win their conference tourney 15-20 years ago. I also am of the opinion that Basketball has a MUCH deeper talent pool now that it did 2-3 decades ago. 

TomasPistola

For a person with the handle "logic" this post is shockingly lacking it.

NIT = Not Invited Tournament.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.