Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC ranked by 3-pt defense

Started by ravmsem, January 28, 2015, 02:38:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ravmsem

This includes national ranking out of 345 teams, and opponent 3-pt percentage.

1.  Kentucky #8 27.1%
2.  Georgia #54 30.8%
3.  South Carolina #63 30.9%
4.  Texas A&M #64 31%
5.  LSU #73 31.3%
6.  Alabama #100 31.9%
7.  Auburn #102 32%
8.  Vanderbilt #177 33.6%
9.  Missouri #187 33.8%
10.  Mississippi State #204 34%
11.  Ole Miss #219 34.4%
12.  Florida #229 34.7%
13.  Tennessee #272 36.3%
14.  Arkansas #274 36.3%

And we are still 16-4.  Anybody think this will get better down the stretch?  We will be hard to handle if we get even marginally better. Go HOGS!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: ravmsem on January 28, 2015, 02:38:28 pm

1.  Kentucky #8 27.1%
2.  Georgia #54 30.8%
4.  Texas A&M #64 31%
5.  LSU #73 31.3%
6.  Alabama #100 31.9%
7.  Auburn #102 32%
9.  Missouri #187 33.8%
11.  Ole Miss #219 34.4%
12.  Florida #229 34.7%
14.  Arkansas #274 36.3%

And we are still 16-4.  Anybody think this will get better down the stretch?  We will be hard to handle if we get even marginally better. Go HOGS!!!

IT will only get better if the opponents can't hit shots, because they are going to get plenty of open threes, it is a product of how the Hogs play defense. Now, if they change the defense, who knows, but that is unlikely to happen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Sportster365

In 3 of our 4 losses our opponents 3pt shot percentage:
Iowa St. - 52.6%
Tennessee - 46.2%
Ole Miss - 53.3%

Half of every attempt taken. If we're going to play the zone, we're going to have to stretch it out closer to the perimeter.

Cresthog

Its god awful.

At times it looks like they are getting better only to completely regress on the next possession.

Do we even practice defense in practice? I don't get it but glad we're winning.

userpick

Conference play its 45%. Embarrassing.

Fayettechill14

Need to force more turnovers. That's been a major part of the problem. It's okay for opponents to shoot a high percentage if they're not getting off as many shots. If we got more steals, the gambling defense would be worth it.

ifghog

1.  Kentucky #8 27.1%
2.  Georgia #54 30.8%
4.  Texas A&M #64 31%
5.  LSU #73 31.3%
6.  Alabama #100 31.9%
7.  Auburn #102 32%
9.  Missouri #187 33.8%
11.  Ole Miss #219 34.4%
12.  Florida #229 34.7%
14.  Arkansas #274 36.3%

Again..lack of discipline.

Sportster365

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 28, 2015, 03:26:39 pm
Need to force more turnovers. That's been a major part of the problem. It's okay for opponents to shoot a high percentage if they're not getting off as many shots. If we got more steals, the gambling defense would be worth it.

The full court press isn't the problem. It's our half-court defense that's giving up the open looks.

ravmsem

The hardest part of watching games is seeing the guy waiting being the 3pt line, wide-open...knowing what's getting ready to happen.  I feel like they need to come off their double-teams faster.  I feel like if they weren't so wide open, the percentage would fall off some.  I take that back...I hate seeing us not blocking out more than anything! I sure don't mind the wins though!

hogsanity

Arkansas was -2 in To's last night. Tn had 16 Hogs had 18.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Fayettechill14

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2015, 03:45:25 pm

That's the point. Can't lose the TO battle. We also lost the offensive rebound battle 9-8. Have to create extra shots.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2015, 03:45:25 pm

It's not just TO's they are not all created equally, most live ball turnovers result in points off turnovers which is where tenn I believe doubled up on us at. If you get a TO you prefer it be live, if you give one you prefer it to be dead.

HotlantaHog

Has the media asked MA about it? Has the Arkansas press written about it? It seems like it is a big focus on Hogville but I would love to know it is something being addressed...

rude1

Quote from: ifghog on January 28, 2015, 03:27:45 pm
Again..lack of discipline.
LOL you guys kill me with your understanding of the game. Look at who's just above us, right above us is the coach some were boasting just last night on how "well coached" his team is. Then right above them is a guy who happens to have won a couple of NCs, think he might know a thing or two about defending or has he forgotten how to "well coach" his team?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Quote from: rude1 on January 28, 2015, 04:16:22 pm
LOL you guys kill me with your understanding of the game. Look at who's just above us, right above us is the coach some were boasting just last night on how "well coached" his team is. Then right above them is a guy who happens to have won a couple of NCs, think he might know a thing or two about defending or has he forgotten how to "well coach" his team?

Exactly, and its not like we are that far below every other team. One weekend of a couple of teams getting hot and a couple of teams being cold could flip this whole list.

hogman99

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 28, 2015, 03:28:50 pm
The full court press isn't the problem. It's our half-court defense that's giving up the open looks.

The full court press puts us out of position most of the time and that leads to layups or wide open 3's on kick out passes. Most 3's are made by taking the ball inside and then licking it out. Our press forces 4 on 3 or 3 on 2 situations that lead to open spot up shooters.  It's not the only problem, but it is a part of the problem on how our defense lines up.

HSVhogfan2

Exactly. An all out pressing team will give up some open looks to a team that can reverse the ball well to shooters. Nolans best teams did it. The problem right now is the press is not creating turnovers, and when it does, they are not live ball turnovers. if you are +15 in fast break points, you don't care if the other team hits some 3s.

It's not as much about scheme with these guys as it is playing hard every second they are out there. Some do, many don't.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

rude1

Quote from: hogman99 on January 28, 2015, 04:29:50 pm
The full court press puts us out of position most of the time and that leads to layups or wide open 3's on kick out passes. Most 3's are made by taking the ball inside and then licking it out. Our press forces 4 on 3 or 3 on 2 situations that lead to open spot up shooters.  It's not the only problem, but it is a part of the problem on how our defense lines up.
We are out of position in the halfcourt defense too, I am starting to understand why CMA presses, he has to, if he doesn't create some kind of wear and tear on the other team, I am not sure we stand a chance. It's really as simple as our guys for the most part are just not good defenders. Watch them in the half court how often two guys run to the same man, or someone has to be steered to where his man is at. Guys are just not locked in defensively to what's going on, you can see that the longer the other teams runs their offense the better chance there is going to be a break down. Really nothing CMA can do about this other than continue to work on it and stress it in practice.

PonderinHog

^^^^This^^^^  When we double team the ball handler, someone is going to be open every time.  A couple of good passes and we're basically screwed.  It's frustrating to watch for me.

Our press looks good at the point of attack, but our breaks on the pass out of the trap are a day late and dollar short.  Are we a step slow or just not aggressive enough?

Hogfaniam

Last night was a classic example of what happens.  That last 3 tenner took?  Guess who was guarding the guy that shot, before the penetration.  Harris.  Where was he when the ball reached his man?  On the OTHER side of the goal trying to stop the 2 point shot when we had a 3 point lead.

Use Discipline and your head instead of getting caught up in the emotion of the play.  Surely, Mike has shown him film of this by now.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

latrops

1.  Kentucky #8 27.1%
2.  Georgia #54 30.8%
4.  Texas A&M #64 31%
5.  LSU #73 31.3%
6.  Alabama #100 31.9%
7.  Auburn #102 32%
9.  Missouri #187 33.8%
11.  Ole Miss #219 34.4%
12.  Florida #229 34.7%
14.  Arkansas #274 36.3%

I'm not sure how much better it can get given our personnel and strategy/system.  As long as we want to press and play up tempo with these players, it is likely to be an issue.  Our better offensive players aren't really quick/athletic enough to do a great job with this defensive system, while our better defensive players can't score more than a few feet from the basket. 

Assuming that we aren't going to slow it down and be more selective with the press, I think our best bet is to focus on offense.  Madden is playing a little better and Beard has really started to emerge.  If Harris can start to play a little more consistently we would have a starting 5 that would be tough for most to keep up with, especially if doing so requires making lots of perimeter jumpers. 

userpick

We are 20 games into the season. Does anyone besides Forrest City residents really believe we are going to improve a ton defensively?

kaptainkory

I'll argue we need a better rim protector.  The reason every player crashes down so hard on a drive or shot is because it takes the whole platoon to stop the activity in the paint.  If one or two guys could do that job, everyone else stays out on their man.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: kaptainkory on January 28, 2015, 08:00:33 pm
I'll argue we need a better rim protector.  The reason every player crashes down so hard on a drive or shot is because it takes the whole platoon to stop the activity in the paint.  If one or two guys could do that job, everyone else stays out on their man.

Yeah Portis isn't that guy and he keeps leaving the lane anyway.

Sportster365

Quote from: kaptainkory on January 28, 2015, 08:00:33 pm

I think this is because last season we were so awful rebounding the ball, I'm sure CMA preached having the whole team crash the boards. This could be the result of that practicing.

MountieDawg

1.  Kentucky #8 27.1%
2.  Georgia #54 30.8%
4.  Texas A&M #64 31%
5.  LSU #73 31.3%
6.  Alabama #100 31.9%
7.  Auburn #102 32%
9.  Missouri #187 33.8%
11.  Ole Miss #219 34.4%
12.  Florida #229 34.7%
14.  Arkansas #274 36.3%

Double teaming at the half court line and allowing an easy pass to an open guy at the top of the key area forces help from the guys in the 4 on 3 situation and leaves offensive players standing wide open for an uncontested 3 point shot. That is a big part of the problem.
SEC!

Hoggish1

Sportster365

Quote from: hogman99 on January 28, 2015, 04:29:50 pm

Our full-court press if broken down, tends to give up far more layup/dunks than 3pt attempts. It's always been that way, even since the days of Nolan. Same could be said for our half-court press whenever we trap the corners for time to time.  The reason we're last in 3pt defense is our zone defense. It needs better spacing for perimeter movement.

Cresthog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 28, 2015, 08:53:52 pm
Yeah Portis isn't that guy and he keeps leaving the lane anyway.

Ha yep, or jumping when a 6-1 guard tries to take it to the rim.

Did anyone see that against Tenner? It was like uh WTH, why are jumping up into him?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Cresthog on January 29, 2015, 10:57:18 am
Ha yep, or jumping when a 6-1 guard tries to take it to the rim.

Did anyone see that against Tenner? It was like uh WTH, why are jumping up into him?

Has he ever blocked a shot more than 5 feet from the rim? He sure jumps a lot.

Also, the number of times a guy drains a three in his face is uncanny. Shannon Hale of Alabama did it seconds before the GW putback. Mizzou and Tennessee did it multiple times.

hogman99

Quote from: rude1 on January 28, 2015, 05:05:52 pm
We are out of position in the halfcourt defense too, I am starting to understand why CMA presses, he has to, if he doesn't create some kind of wear and tear on the other team, I am not sure we stand a chance. It's really as simple as our guys for the most part are just not good defenders. Watch them in the half court how often two guys run to the same man, or someone has to be steered to where his man is at. Guys are just not locked in defensively to what's going on, you can see that the longer the other teams runs their offense the better chance there is going to be a break down. Really nothing CMA can do about this other than continue to work on it and stress it in practice.

That is what I am questioning, I wonder how much of this is really being taught.  If they continue to the same thing every game then they are not being taught the proper technique.  Playing defense is not rocket science, it is grit and want too as well as understanding the game of basketball and how to react to certain situations.

Southern Hogspitality

You get more steals by playing better defense, having to make harder passes or driving into the lane.  When you make a couple easy passes and someone is open for a 3 it is hard to get steals.

Cresthog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 29, 2015, 01:23:37 pm

Also, the number of times a guy drains a three in his face is uncanny. Shannon Hale of Alabama did it seconds before the GW putback. Mizzou and Tennessee did it multiple times.

Yea he gets one in the eye probably more than anyone.

The total opposite of what should happen when we do those switches.

latrops

This is exactly the problem.  Our defense isn't necessarily designed to force a low field goal percentage.  Our press is intended to force pace and create turnovers.  Unfortunately, it isn't doing a very good job of that, either.  We did force a decent 16 turnovers against Tennessee...but offset it with 18 of our own.

Danny J

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 29, 2015, 01:23:37 pm

Yes...good coaches have scouted us very well. It is not only Portis jumping out on shooters. They are setting screens, waiting on switch and using our aggressiveness against us. I think we are going to have major problems at UF because of this. I hope we come out with a different game plan or it will get ugly fast.

Pork Twain

Results from our bigger games

[attachment deleted by admin]
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

WarPig88

I guess the fact that there seems to be little correlation to the % and winning doesn't matter when there is an agenda at stake.

HawgWild

We certainly seem to bring out the best in teams when it comes to shooting threes.