Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has Madden really "regressed"?

Started by The_Iceman, January 28, 2015, 02:09:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

A look at the stats doesn't appear to show that:

2013 Madden stats:
12.7 pts (3.8-8.3, 45%), 40% 3pt, 2.8 asts, 2.8 rebs, 2.3 TO's.

2014 Madden stats:
10.2 pts (2.6-6.3, 41%), 44% 3pt, 4.9 asts, 3.1 rebs, 2.5 TO's.

While his points are down, he is shooting better from 3pt, taking 2 less shots per game, and getting 2 more assists. Last year, he was a scorer, but this year he is a much more well rounded player.

Madden has been playing very well and he deserves a lot of credit for his performance during this 3 game winning streak where all were close games.

Danny J

Madden's biggest issue IMO is his inability to get lift off the floor. You can't drive into the lane and only rise 8" off the floor. He gets his shots altered or blocked a lot when he gets in the lane. I will say that the reason IMO we won the Mizzou game was his shot at 1:23 mark in the second half. That was big time and he deserves the credit for it.

Hawgndaaz

he's extremely unathletic inside the 3 pt line. has no vision after making the first defender miss. dribbles into double and triple coverage often.

reminds me of Ronnie wingo running the football.

Jek Tono Porkins

His stats are actually quite nice. The perception that he has "regressed" comes from his uncanny ability to turn the ball over at the worst possible time.

It's Dennis Johnson syndrome. When Dennis Johnson was a running back here, everyone thought he had a fumble problem. He didn't have a fumble problem...statistically, he was no more prone to fumbling than anyone else. He just happened to fumble at the worst possible times. Same deal with Madden.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

k.c.hawg

I'll take a guy that isn't afraid to fail in the last minute of a game anytime. Far too many times I see guys that don't want the responsibility of taking the big shot kill teams at the end of games. He has stepped up clutch the last 3  games and though people called him wild and out of control at the end of the Bama game he did exactly what you need someone to do, get the ball up around the rim and give your team a chance to win. The pull up 3 last night at 1:22 was huge, the penetrating pull up 2 against Mizzou was huge. It was the difference between W's and L's.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hawg Red

A lot of the criticism, I think, stems from his ranking out of HS and him not living up to that in many fans' eyes. So much was expected of the players in that 2011 recruiting class and none of them really made the splash they were supposed to, but Madden has been a good player for the Hogs. He makes infuriating mistakes at bad times but he's solid otherwise.

Atlhogfan1

He hit the biggest shot of the game last night when he broke the 60-60 tie with the 3 with 4:29 left.  Tenn looked physically done and they never tied or took the lead again. 

We have a number of players contributing less than what they probably should be for various reasons. 

Madden was rated 36th in his class.

Some SG's ranked near him:

27th Blackshear - Lville
30th Randolph - Bama
33rd Parker - Vandy and has transferred
37th Faust - MD and has transferred
40th Lacey - Bama transferred to NC ST

Lacey is the one who has statistically been better.  The others have not. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Paul

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on January 28, 2015, 02:13:52 pm
His stats are actually quite nice. The perception that he has "regressed" comes from his uncanny ability to turn the ball over at the worst possible time.

It's Dennis Johnson syndrome. When Dennis Johnson was a running back here, everyone thought he had a fumble problem. He didn't have a fumble problem...statistically, he was no more prone to fumbling than anyone else. He just happened to fumble at the worst possible times. Same deal with Madden.
agree  IMO, he should not be the primary ball handler on any possession.  he would function better as a spot up 3 point shooter

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 28, 2015, 02:38:43 pm
He hit the biggest shot of the game last night when he broke the 60-60 tie with the 3 with 4:29 left.  Tenn looked physically done and they never tied or took the lead again. 

We have a number of players contributing less than what they probably should be for various reasons. 

Madden was rated 36th in his class.

Some SG's ranked near him:

27th Blackshear - Lville
30th Randolph - Bama
33rd Parker - Vandy and has transferred
37th Faust - MD and has transferred
40th Lacey - Bama transferred to NC ST

Lacey is the one who has statistically been better.  The others have not.

Levi Randolph is having a pretty solid season for Bama. 14.7 PPG, 5 RPG, 2.4 APG, 1.5 SPG, 50% from the floor and 83% from the line.

Blackshear is been a huge disappointment for the Cardinals.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Danny J on January 28, 2015, 02:11:34 pm
I will say that the reason IMO we won the Mizzou game was his shot at 1:23 mark in the second half. That was big time and he deserves the credit for it.

Considering it was the last points scored in the game, I have to agree.

Hogfan1660

Madden has that "Killer" instinct when the game is on the line but the only problem is that he doesn't have the ability to execute the last second shot!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 28, 2015, 02:49:38 pm
Levi Randolph is having a pretty solid season for Bama. 14.7 PPG, 5 RPG, 2.4 APG, 1.5 SPG, 50% from the floor and 83% from the line.

Blackshear is been a huge disappointment for the Cardinals.

Randolph is having a nice season playing a lot of minutes.  Only 30% from 3 for a SG though and assist to turnover isn't great. 

Fans don't seem to understand recruiting rankings, evals, how players fit into their chosen programs, elite vs good or potentially good, etc. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on January 28, 2015, 02:52:19 pm
Madden has that "Killer" instinct when the game is on the line but the only problem is that he doesn't have the ability to execute the last second shot!

It goes to situations, options and teammates and how they are reacting. 

PennHOG

It's nice to have a guy handling the ball at the end of a tight game that shoots 90% from the charity stripe.

I think Beard will be great but I was glad he wasn't shooting free throws at the end of the game last night.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

poloprince

January 28, 2015, 03:19:42 pm #14 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:43:21 am by poloprince
Quote from: Danny J on January 28, 2015, 02:11:34 pm
Madden's biggest issue IMO is his inability to get lift off the floor. You can't drive into the lane and only rise 8" off the floor. He gets his shots altered or blocked a lot when he gets in the lane. I will say that the reason IMO we won the Mizzou game was his shot at 1:23 mark in the second half. That was big time and he deserves the credit for it.

Ky just needs to up his 2 point field goal percentage for these last 11 conference games and we may hit stride.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Cresthog

I'd kill if Madden could finish at the rim. We would be hard to beat by anyone.

But I like his balls and attitude for competing. He doesn't take plays off, his legs just don't get him there a lot of the time.

hogfan10

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on January 28, 2015, 02:52:19 pm

I think the problem is he is looking to get fouled more than he is looking to convert the shot. This causes him to over penetrate. We need more shots like the one against Mizzou. If they foul great, if not pull up and bury the shot.

HotlantaHog

Agree with what has been said. But he doesn't need to be the main ball handler when the Hogs have a 6-point lead with a minute to go. ... He may not be more prone to turnovers, but he does seem more prone to turnovers when it matters most.

Fayettechill14

He's a hit-or-miss crunch time player. He had a HUGE three-pointer to make it 63-60 and give Arkansas the lead for the last time with 4:29 left. Of course, then he turned it over with 20 seconds left when a basket likely ends the game. He gets more remembered for the misses, I guess.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HotlantaHog on January 28, 2015, 04:05:18 pm
Agree with what has been said. But he doesn't need to be the main ball handler when the Hogs have a 6-point lead with a minute to go. ... He may not be more prone to turnovers, but he does seem more prone to turnovers when it matters most.

One of our dilemmas.  Who does then? 

Guard options:

Beard
Durham
Babb - 0 FT attempts on the season
Bell
Watkins

Qualls

BallHog1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 28, 2015, 04:16:05 pm
One of our dilemmas.  Who does then? 

Guard options:

Beard
Durham
Babb - 0 FT attempts on the season
Bell
Watkins

Qualls

I'm gonna say not Qualls

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2015, 02:51:05 pm
I knock him when he does wrong so I must also tell it like it is when he does right. He flat out made a play when we needed it. I didn't think he would be able to do it but he did. Major props.

Breems

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 28, 2015, 02:23:00 pm
A lot of the criticism, I think, stems from his ranking out of HS and him not living up to that in many fans' eyes. So much was expected of the players in that 2011 recruiting class and none of them really made the splash they were supposed to, but Madden has been a good player for the Hogs. He makes infuriating mistakes at bad times but he's solid otherwise.

I don't think that's the case because people were generally happy with him last year.

He's developed a track record for poor end-of-game decision-making. That's most of the criticism.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

People have always kept Madden on a short leash, IMO.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Wright43

I agree with those that say Madden isn't bad, he just makes mistakes at the worst possible times. I know he is a senior and Beard is just a freshman, but I think Beard should be the primary ball handler at the end of games. Madden can be in as the SG, with Qualls, BP, and whoever else matches up with the opponent.

I understand why MA gives Madden those crunch time opportunities, he's a senior, a captain, and shows no fear/has supreme confidence. Those are great things, but we have to get the ball out of his hands in crunch situations. Put him at the 3pt line to make a spot up shot if he's open, and let Beard handle the ball. If MA doesn't trust Beard, put in Durham--he doesn't add much offensively but he is a solid ball handler.

The biggest problem I have with Madden is that regardless of what time in the game it is, if he has the ball and the shot clock is 10 or below there's a 0% chance he is going to pass it, regardless of how many defenders are on him. I like our team playing confident, but I like them playing smart better.

3of5-2

I want someone else making decisions at the end of halves. It's not just the end of the games that he finds a way to turn it over, he thinks he has to do it at the end of the first half a lot of times also. He's not the go to guy, and MA needs to know it, and needs to tell him that too.

Thepigdoctor

Anyone know if he completed his course work to graduate? He seems to have turned his season around after a bad december. I was critical, but readily acknowledged for us to be successful, we needed him, and also that he'd eventually be the reason we won some games.

I also remember someone saying he lost his grandfather at some point, possibly around the same time.

I believe Harris finished up at the end of last semester and he's looked much more relaxed in January. It's possible Madden could have been feeling a lot of pressure to finish his degree and is likewise now playing with a lot less weight on his shoulders.

Whatever it is, he's certainly turned things around offensively. Still not going to say he's doing enough on defense, but many on this team are struggling in that regard.

hogpc

Quote from: Breems on January 28, 2015, 06:23:16 pm
I don't think that's the case because people were generally happy with him last year.

He's developed a track record for poor end-of-game decision-making. That's most of the criticism.
This is it for me, a poor track record at the end of the game.  FAR too many bad decisions which lead to turnovers.

WayneHawg

I don't think he has taken a back step at all, he's been pretty much the same player thru out his career. Hopefully we can make the big dance so he can feel an accomplishment for his time on the court at the UofA. I will say that there's no other player that I would rather have at the line in any environment than R Madden!

PonderinHog

I think it's called "Madden's Law."   :o

hoglady

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 28, 2015, 02:23:00 pm

Well he has been forced away from his natural position into the point guard role most of his time here.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

I understand everyone's concern about Madden having the ball at the end of games.
But I just don't know that you want it in Beard's hands either.
Kid is having a real problem at the line.
MA's options are really limited.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

sigpooie

Someone should make ky watch the last 10 game. I think even he would see what is driving the rest of us crazy
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2015, 02:09:00 pm
A look at the stats doesn't appear to show that:

2013 Madden stats:
12.7 pts (3.8-8.3, 45%), 40% 3pt, 2.8 asts, 2.8 rebs, 2.3 TO's.

2014 Madden stats:
10.2 pts (2.6-6.3, 41%), 44% 3pt, 4.9 asts, 3.1 rebs, 2.5 TO's.

While his points are down, he is shooting better from 3pt, taking 2 less shots per game, and getting 2 more assists. Last year, he was a scorer, but this year he is a much more well rounded player.

Madden has been playing very well and he deserves a lot of credit for his performance during this 3 game winning streak where all were close games.

And how 'bout his FT shooting percentage?! Damn
WPS

acey33

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2015, 02:51:05 pm

and that's part of the problem with this team for the last couple of years IMO...We need to be able to score a basket, run some type of half court offense so we can a hi percentage shot when needed. I know that's easier said than done. At least were winning the close games at this time but we have to get better in this area if were going to have any chance of making a run in NCAA Tournament...WPS

The_Iceman

daprospecta

IMO, the biggest difference between fr-soph madden and ju-sr madden is he learned a few things he was good at and stuck to them.  He is a very good spot up shooter and great at the free throw line. He tries to draw fouls for free points which plays to his strength.  The biggest problem is he doesn't have an abort button. If he has his mind set to drive and try to draw a foul, he will do so with three guys waiting on him even with one in position for a charge. He does the same thing at the end of games with ill-advised shots. That inability so far is what keeps him from being a great player(currently good IMO).

jusgtohogs

If he hasn't PROGRESSED, then he's regressed, IMO.  Just saying...

GuvHog

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 28, 2015, 07:07:14 pm
I want someone else making decisions at the end of halves. It's not just the end of the games that he finds a way to turn it over, he thinks he has to do it at the end of the first half a lot of times also. He's not the go to guy, and MA needs to know it, and needs to tell him that too.

If the Hogs are behind by a point or two I agree with you but if they are ahead late in the game and the other team is fouling, Mike definitely wants the ball in Madden's hands since he is the best free throw shooter on the team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: jusgtohogs on January 29, 2015, 09:34:13 am
If he hasn't PROGRESSED, then he's regressed, IMO.  Just saying...

Assists? Up
A:TO? Up
3pt %? Up
FT %? Up
Rebounds? Same
Turnovers? Same
Scoring? Down (On 2 less shots per game)

devildoghawg

Madden hasn't regressed or improved, he is just surrounded by superior players now that show him for who he really is.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Hawg Red

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 29, 2015, 10:47:50 am
Madden hasn't regressed or improved, he is just surrounded by superior players now that show him for who he really is.

I wouldn't go that far. He's still probably the 3rd best player on the team (yes, he's better than Anton Beard right now).

The_Iceman

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 29, 2015, 10:47:50 am

You mean a 10pt, 5ast, 44% 3pt, 89% ft player?

jm

Madden = Pat Bradley
He is really good at what he does well. Pass the ball and SHOOT the ball!

He is not quick enough to dribble drive, break down the defense, and distribute to the open player. He will never be great at it. He gets the ball in the last seconds because he shoots free throws as well as any in the country. Mike's strategy is clear; give Ky the ball and hope he is either fouled (almost a sure 2 points)  or can get it up near the rim for Portis and Qualls. 
Why do so many people get so frustrated when a guy can't do what everyone knows he can't do?

mhuff

Quote from: hoglady on January 29, 2015, 07:47:55 am
I understand everyone's concern about Madden having the ball at the end of games.
But I just don't know that you want it in Beard's hands either.
Kid is having a real problem at the line.
MA's options are really limited.

I actually would not have Beard in the line up at the end of the game for aforementioned reason. I don't believe that Madden and Bell play well together. It puts Mike in a quandary as they are the two best FT shooters. They both dribble too much or make bad passes.

mhuff

Quote from: jm on January 29, 2015, 01:20:21 pm
Madden = Pat Bradley
He is really good at what he does well. Pass the ball and SHOOT the ball!

He is not quick enough to dribble drive, break down the defense, and distribute to the open player. He will never be great at it. He gets the ball in the last seconds because he shoots free throws as well as any in the country. Mike's strategy is clear; give Ky the ball and hope he is either fouled (almost a sure 2 points)  or can get it up near the rim for Portis and Qualls. 
Why do so many people get so frustrated when a guy can't do what everyone knows he can't do?

If Ky would pass the ball instead of dribbling , he would not turn the ball over as much. He just goes crazy and starts trying to dribble into 2 or 3 players. Passing is always faster than dribbling .... Get the ball to an open player quickly to avoid double teams..... Also do not leave your feet when you pass.

Nosboar Accubond

His leadership has in my opinion. He comes off as too emotional and whiny at times coupled with making poor decisions at critical moments. While his statistics are good he seems to be a liability, however I don't see a big upgrade sitting on the bench. Whitt will help a lot in the areas of concern for Madden.

Who is our Coach?

I wouldn't mind Madden taking a few more jump shots frankly.  He can't jump well enough and isn't strong enough to consistently finish at the rim, but he is a good stand still jump shooter.  I wouldnt mind him finding holes in the zones we inevitably see. 

mhuff

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on January 30, 2015, 05:56:07 pm
I wouldn't mind Madden taking a few more jump shots frankly.  He can't jump well enough and isn't strong enough to consistently finish at the rim, but he is a good stand still jump shooter.  I wouldnt mind him finding holes in the zones we inevitably see. 

Good suggestion..... been saying so for four years. We especially need it now as Williams has been sick and not hitting mid range jumpers lately. We need points in the paint. No fall away jumpers please.