Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clock management

Started by Junkyard Hog, January 28, 2015, 01:50:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkyard Hog

First of all let me say I think Anderson is a good coach and has us going in the right direction, but one of the things our team does that has me scratching my head is how we handle possessions at the end of the half.  It seems we never try to execute 2 for 1's and most of the time we don't even hold the ball to take the last shot of the half.

Like I said, I believe Anderson is a good coach and I know he knows about 2 for 1's and holding for the last shot.  My question is has he ever addressed this?  Does he not like to interrupt flow of the game?  Some other reason?

It just seems to be a recurring theme just like last night we had the opportunity to take the last shot of the first half and I'm at home screaming one shot, one shot!  We wound up forcing a shot and allowing TN to score another bucket.

chiefhawg

Very few if any college coaches do the 2 for 1 thing.

Junkyard Hog

MountieDawg

The timeout up 5 with 2.2 seconds left was a minute no one can ever get back in their life. What was the point.... Was he trying to avoid the flagrant 2 foul on a 3 point heave???
SEC!

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 28, 2015, 04:23:47 pm
The timeout up 5 with 2.2 seconds left was a minute no one can ever get back in their life. What was the point.... Was he trying to avoid the flagrant 2 foul on a 3 point heave???

I have no issue with that timeout.  It never hurts to remind players not to do anything stupid.  He was just insuring the victory.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on January 28, 2015, 02:35:12 pm
Why not?

In the NBA, with only a 24 second shot clock, it is much easier to execute. I think most college coaches don't trust their guys to find a good shot, they'll likely rush it.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2015, 04:32:27 pm
In the NBA, with only a 24 second shot clock, it is much easier to execute. I think most college coaches don't trust their guys to find a good shot, they'll likely rush it.

But wouldn't you rather have a bad shot + one possession as opposed to just one possession?

jesterzzn

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on January 28, 2015, 07:48:48 pm
But wouldn't you rather have a bad shot + one possession as opposed to just one possession?

No.  You are not going to get one full possession, they are.  You are going to get one hurried shot, and then another one at the very end.  They are getting one full unrushed possession.

In the NBA its a good trade.  In college, not so much.

Junkyard Hog

The second possession wouldn't be hurried if you executed the 2 for 1 correctly.  If you have to rush the second possession then you didn't have a good 2 for 1 opportunity to begin with.  I also think these opportunities would give us some real game time experience of trying to score with the clock winding down that could be beneficial at the end of games when we might need a last second shot to win.

Anyway, I'm not nearly as concerned with the 2 for 1's as I am the wasted opportunities at getting the last shot of the half.