Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jay Bilas ranked us....

Started by bighog2255, January 28, 2015, 12:00:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bighog2255

#25. Probably where we should be. Seems to say what a lot of us here have been saying. This team is underachieving, but have the talent/experience to be a Sweet 16 type team:

25. Arkansas Razorbacks

The Razorbacks are one of The Bilastrator's value picks, and are valued higher here and in ESPN's BPI than anywhere else. Arkansas is a very good offensive team, but needs to be more attentive on the defensive end. Arkansas allows too many unchallenged 3-point opportunities, but the Razorbacks have excelled on the offensive end. Bobby Portis has had a great season, averaging 17.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and shooting over 55 percent from the field. Portis hung 32 on Vandy, and has five straight double-doubles. -- Jay Bilas

Swinesong1

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 28, 2015, 12:00:31 pm
#25. Probably where we should be. Seems to say what a lot of us here have been saying. This team is underachieving, but have the talent/experience to be a Sweet 16 type team:

25. Arkansas Razorbacks

The Razorbacks are one of The Bilastrator's value picks, and are valued higher here and in ESPN's BPI than anywhere else. Arkansas is a very good offensive team, but needs to be more attentive on the defensive end. Arkansas allows too many unchallenged 3-point opportunities, but the Razorbacks have excelled on the offensive end. Bobby Portis has had a great season, averaging 17.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and shooting over 55 percent from the field. Portis hung 32 on Vandy, and has five straight double-doubles. -- Jay Bilas

Is there more to what you've quoted?  Where's the underachieving part?  Furthermore, if Coach Anderson can neither coach nor recruit (according to jump ball), how is the team underachieving? 

Rawker

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2015, 12:04:19 pm
Is there more to what you've quoted?  Where's the underachieving part?  Furthermore, if Coach Anderson can neither coach nor recruit (according to jump ball), how is the team underachieving?

Don't ask 1st graders 3rd grade questions.

bighog2255

Is there more to what you've quoted?  Where's the underachieving part?

"more attentive on the defensive end", "too many unchallenged 3-point opportunities" to me is a nice way of saying we are underachieving. I said nothing about MA being the reason for that. Hopefully we are just in a funk, or haven't hit our stride yet. Don't lump me in with the "MA cant coach nor recruit" crowd.

Swinesong1

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 28, 2015, 12:18:53 pm
"more attentive on the defensive end", "too many unchallenged 3-point opportunities" to me is a nice way of saying we are underachieving. I said nothing about MA being the reason for that. Hopefully we are just in a funk, or haven't hit our stride yet. Don't lump me in with the "MA cant coach nor recruit" crowd.
You certainly took liberties with that quote.

bighog2255

Swinesong1

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 28, 2015, 12:27:36 pm
As you did with mine
You said Bilas felt we're underachieving when he said no such thing. Heck, you even added the "talent/experience/sweet 16 type".  Bilas didn't say that either.  Not in the quote YOU provided.

bighog2255

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2015, 12:42:37 pm
You said Bilas felt we're underachieving when he said no such thing. Heck, you even added the "talent/experience/sweet 16 type".  Vilas didn't say that either.  Not in the quote YOU provided.

I never quoted Bilas saying we are "underachieving". I took liberties with his analysis to infer that yes, as you have already pointed out....from which, you leaped to lump me in to the "MA cant coach or recruit crowd". Sensitive much?

Swinesong1

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 28, 2015, 12:50:22 pm
I never quoted Bilas saying we are "underachieving". I took liberties with his analysis to infer that yes, as you have already pointed out....from which, you leaped to lump me in to the "MA cant coach or recruit crowd". Sensitive much?
Yeah.  It's me.

jmb1973

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2015, 01:00:14 pm
Yeah.  It's me.

How many threads are you going to force into vents and rumors?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 28, 2015, 12:00:31 pm

25. Arkansas Razorbacks

Most teams will suffer a couple of bad losses during the season. Right now, Arkansas has done that. They're on a tourney trajectory, but they need to keep improving. This bunch is good but not great right now, but they might catch fire at just the right time.

They don't seem to be in danger of peaking too early right now, though. 😄
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

tophawg19

they are peeking at the 3 point shooters as they bomb us
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Swinesong1

Quote from: jmb1973 on January 28, 2015, 08:55:39 pm
Again.  It's my fault!  I should just shut up and stay in my place. I don't insult fellow posters or call them names.  But I will not continue to let posters go unchecked concerning the constant negativity being posted.  Especially towards a coach who has improved EVERY season he's been here.  Especially given our current record.

Swinesong1

Quote from: jmb1973 on January 28, 2015, 08:55:39 pm
You know what's really funny and hypocritical about your question and outrage?  Looking at your posting history, a lot of them are in vents.  Too funny!!!!

lefty08

Sayin this team is underachieving is laughable
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

onebadrubi

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 28, 2015, 09:18:26 pm
You know what's really funny and hypocritical about your question and outrage?  Looking at your posting history, a lot of them are in vents.  Too funny!!!!

Your blinded by an agenda, like so many! 

While I've never said Mike can't recruit, your best ammo is Bobby Portis, which would have been a hog if Jeff Longs wife was the coach. 

You want to be brash and lump posters together with criticism.  Well we've seen many games where Mikes teams got out coached by opposing coaches, we've also watched his best coaching experience as a hog in the Georgia game.  Mikes shown prime examples of WTH coaching moments, those arguing that he hasn't are just like the ones they are wasting arguing with

Swinesong1

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 28, 2015, 09:59:51 pm
Your blinded by an agenda, like so many! 

While I've never said Mike can't recruit, your best ammo is Bobby Portis, which would have been a hog if Jeff Longs wife was the coach. 

You want to be brash and lump posters together with criticism.  Well we've seen many games where Mikes teams got out coached by opposing coaches, we've also watched his best coaching experience as a hog in the Georgia game.  Mikes shown prime examples of WTH coaching moments, those arguing that he hasn't are just like the ones they are wasting arguing with
Are you drunk?  I have no idea what you're talking about!

The real Hogules

Quote from: lefty08 on January 28, 2015, 09:58:45 pm
Sayin this team is underachieving is laughable

I think that this team is currently not playing up to their abilities.
Therefore it follows that this team is underachieving.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

GuvHog

Honestly? They should be 19-1 right now instead of 16-4. I can fully understand the loss to Iowa State but the losses to Clemson (away), Tennessee (away), and Ole Miss (BWA), are inexcusable.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Swinesong1

Quote from: GuvHog on January 29, 2015, 09:59:59 am
Honestly? They should be 19-1 right now instead of 16-4. I can fully understand the loss to Iowa State but the losses to Clemson (away), Tennessee (away), and Ole Miss (BWA), are inexcusable.
'Cause every team wins every game they're supposed to win.  My bad. Just like the great Frank Martin does huh?

GuvHog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 29, 2015, 10:06:41 am
'Cause every team wins every game they're supposed to win.  My bad. Just like the great Frank Martin does huh?

Exceptional teams may not win all of the games they are supposed to but they won't get embarrassed like the Hogs did at Clemson and against Ole Miss at home. I might even understand the loss in Knoxville since the Vols were shooting lights out but not the other 2.

As for Frank Martin, his Gamecocks have had some big wins this season but have had a number of bad losses too. IMHO if Frank doesn't turn things around next year, he isn't likely to get a 5th season there.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

lefty08

January 29, 2015, 10:22:04 am #21 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:10:32 am by lefty08
Quote from: The real Hogules on January 29, 2015, 09:25:47 am
I think that this team is currently not playing up to their abilities.
Therefore it follows that this team is underachieving.

That's a simplistic view imo. A team can not play their best and still achieve, which is what we are seeing. Underachieving and not playing their best are two different things. Any team playing their best in January is typically in trouble come tourney time
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Swinesong1

Quote from: GuvHog on January 29, 2015, 10:21:26 am
Exceptional teams may not win all of the games they are supposed to but they won't get embarrassed like the Hogs did at Clemson and against Ole Miss at home. I might even understand the loss in Knoxville since the Vols were shooting lights out but not the other 2.

As for Frank Martin, his Gamecocks have had some big wins this season but have had a number of bad losses too. IMHO if Frank doesn't turn things around next year, he isn't likely to get a 5th season there.
How many times are you going to say "next year" for your supposed great coach? 

CapitalCityHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on January 29, 2015, 10:21:26 am

Exceptional teams do get embarrassed.  Just look at our '95 team. During the regular season we lost:

104-80 @ UMASS
76-71 @ Ole Miss
104-90 @ Auburn
88-70 @ Home to Alabama
83-62 @ Miss St.

A team that went to the championship game got blown out 3, arguably 4 times. 

http://www.hogstats.com/schedule.php?season=1994-95

bighog2255

Couldn't disagree more with this. To call those losses inexcusable is well....inexcusable. On the flip side, we could have very easily dropped 2-3 games that were down to the wire

incHOGnito

Agreed.  We are the worst 16-4 team in the country.  [/sarcasm]

BadHog

Quote from: CapitalCityHawg on January 29, 2015, 12:32:25 pm
Exceptional teams do get embarrassed.  Just look at our '95 team. During the regular season we lost:

104-80 @ UMASS
76-71 @ Ole Miss
104-90 @ Auburn
88-70 @ Home to Alabama
83-62 @ Miss St.

A team that went to the championship game got blown out 3, arguably 4 times. 

http://www.hogstats.com/schedule.php?season=1994-95

I still remember the UMASS game like it was yesterday. Ha! We were incredulous - so was the team!

But this post is correct - good teams/great teams can lose some bad games.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

BadHog

As in #16 Maryland getting hammered by unranked tOSU tonight!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."