Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Anderson is not a good Xs and Os coach but if

Started by nwahogfan1, January 28, 2015, 09:33:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

he would recruit more players who can run his unorthodox style better then he would be more successful and more fans will be in his camp.

So I lay fault on Anderson recruitment of players who are not real good at running his system more than anything else.  His guards and forwards are not gifted enough either athletically or skills to run his system.  He needs those long athletic players who can create offense for themselves and others plus put defensive pressure on the offense with their length and athleticism.  I think Whitt will be that player but it has been 4 years.   Now I want to see more so  who else will he bring on board.  If he fails on Monk I think fans will be jumping all over him.  He needs to recruit better or he will further lose fan support.

poloprince

So you feel as if Ark should recruit on the level of the elite?  So you feel blue chip recruits are just clamoring to come to NWA? It ain't the x and x's, it the Jim's and Joe's ask Calipari. And don't forget MA had to use the first 3 years to clear up the APR issue the basketball program had.
$PoLoPrInCe$

HF#1

We need guys like Monk and Allen.  Gotta have them.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawg Red

poloprince

Quote from: HF#1 on January 28, 2015, 10:09:16 am

We need guys like Whitt and Monk.  Gotta have them
$PoLoPrInCe$

HF#1

Quote from: poloprince on January 28, 2015, 10:14:12 am

Losing Allen to Florida isn't good.  We need all three.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

If I'm Mike Anderson, I sell the farm to get Monk.

forrest city joe

That's it, i got to get out of here for right now, before i say something that i will regret. Mike's team has won 12 out of their last 14 games. and crap post like this are allowed. i got to get out of here for a while.

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 28, 2015, 10:25:59 am
That's it, i got to get out of here for right now, before i say something that i will regret. Mike's team has won 12 out of their last 14 games. and crap post like this are allowed. i got to get out of here for a while.

Take all the time you need, by all means.

Dirty

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 28, 2015, 10:25:59 am

This! 

hvsupastar

So instead of 16-4, with those players we'd be what?  17-3? 18-2?
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 28, 2015, 09:33:24 am
he would recruit more players who can run his unorthodox style better then he would be more successful and more fans will be in his camp.

So I lay fault on Anderson recruitment of players who are not real good at running his system more than anything else.  His guards and forwards are not gifted enough either athletically or skills to run his system.  He needs those long athletic players who can create offense for themselves and others plus put defensive pressure on the offense with their length and athleticism.  I think Whitt will be that player but it has been 4 years.   Now I want to see more so  who else will he bring on board.  If he fails on Monk I think fans will be jumping all over him.  He needs to recruit better or he will further lose fan support.

Please expound. What is MA doing wrong as far as "X and Os go? I am trying to learn from you guys but no one will help me.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 28, 2015, 10:29:52 am
So instead of 16-4, with those players we'd be what?  17-3? 18-2?

Maybe 19-1, in the top 5, and inspiring much more confidence than the current group is. Or maybe not. But better players tend to lead to better results. Not always but most of the time.

hogsanity

I am far from being the biggest Anderson fan, but this OP is pretty lame.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hvsupastar

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 28, 2015, 10:33:29 am
Maybe 19-1, in the top 5, and inspiring much more confidence than the current group is. Or maybe not. But better players tend to lead to better results. Not always but most of the time.

Or maybe we have even less flow now just like we did with BJ Young, who was ranked higher than Allen or Whitt.  You think his group inspired more than the current group?
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

PonderinHog

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 28, 2015, 10:32:28 am
Please expound. What is MA doing wrong as far as "X and Os go? I am trying to learn from you guys but no one will help me.
Cat quick, minimum 6'5", guards that hit 90% free throws, 48% from three, 60% inside the arc, great handles, vision, tremendous leapers, and of course high BB IQ.  For forwards, same thing only bigger...

Hawg Red

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 28, 2015, 10:37:00 am
Or maybe we have even less flow now just like we did with BJ Young, who was ranked higher than Allen or Whitt.  You think his group inspired more than the current group?

Are you asking me if I think the current group inspires more confidence than a group that couldn't even make the NIT? Of course.

hogman99

Press is weak and doesn't know when to stop pressing.
Defense is very weak.
Subs pattern makes no sense.
Team not looking to get the ball inside to an All American.
Team has trouble when we are pressed, get very sloppy with the ball leading to turnovers.
Seems unable to convince team that best players are Portis, Qualls and Beard.
When player is pulled from the game for making mistake, they go to the end of the bench.  He or assistants need to address the mistake at point in time.
Can't figure out to start the offense at high post against a zone. If he does tell players they don't appear to listen, so needs to play the ones who will listen (Beard).

These are just a few

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: hogman99 on January 28, 2015, 11:06:29 am
Press is weak and doesn't know when to stop pressing.
Defense is very weak.
Subs pattern makes no sense.
Team not looking to get the ball inside to an All American.
Team has trouble when we are pressed, get very sloppy with the ball leading to turnovers.
Seems unable to convince team that best players are Portis, Qualls and Beard.
When player is pulled from the game for making mistake, they go to the end of the bench.  He or assistants need to address the mistake at point in time.
Can't figure out to start the offense at high post against a zone. If he does tell players they don't appear to listen, so needs to play the ones who will listen (Beard).

These are just a few

Actually, those are talking points.

What defensive scheme would you draw up to improve the half court defense?
What offense would you draw up to get Portis more involved? Or is it a function of Portis not being able/willing to re-post once he is knocked off the blocks the first time?

I do agree with the point about Portis, Qualls, Beard getting most of the touches, with Madden being a spot up jump shooter.
That will also cure the "getting pressed" problem.
A ton of elite coaches do there coaching in practice, not in the games.
AR actually does a decent job of finding soft spots in the zones. They flash a guy to the dotted line in the lane a lot for open shots. They either don't hit them, or they try to take the ball in too deep and turn it over. That needs to be addressed.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

rude1

Just wonder what is the criteria for making one a ''good X & O coach?

The Boar War

It's because they've heard it somewhere else and Mike doesn't look like a good x's and o's coach to them.  Sad thing about Mike is he doesn't even get the usual hand out of being a good recruiter.  Well, how are we winning if he can't coach and can't recruit?  I guess we just lucked into our ranking.

You don't get to be a head coach in major college basketball for fourteen years and be bad at x's and o's.

HSVhogfan2

Veni Sancte Spiritus

rude1

tophawg19

i wonder about the assistants around MA . the 3 point defense isn't good . lack of communication on switching in defense . Madden trying to be a hero with the ball in his hands late in the shot clock and doesn't pass . big men bringing the ball down in the lane for guards to steal instead of keeping it high and going strong to the basket. The press being broken easily yet we remain in it . inability to really push the ball on offense and try to run the other team to death . Our fastest 40 has slowed considerably. overall careless ball handling . if you're loosing the battle on the boards then you have to win steals and turnovers to make up for it.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hoggish1

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 28, 2015, 11:44:51 am
i wonder about the assistants around MA . the 3 point defense isn't good . lack of communication on switching in defense . Madden trying to be a hero with the ball in his hands late in the shot clock and doesn't pass . big men bringing the ball down in the lane for guards to steal instead of keeping it high and going strong to the basket. The press being broken easily yet we remain in it . inability to really push the ball on offense and try to run the other team to death . Our fastest 40 has slowed considerably. overall careless ball handling . if you're loosing the battle on the boards then you have to win steals and turnovers to make up for it.

These are good ones to start with.

I'm perplexed why BP seems to want to be a guard in the paint with everyone around him.

That is not the time to put the ball on the floor...

BorderPatrol

azhog10

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 28, 2015, 09:33:24 am
  His guards and forwards are not gifted enough either athletically or skills to run his system.  He needs those long athletic players who can create offense for themselves and others plus put defensive pressure on the offense with their length and athleticism.
But yet we are one of the top teams in the country in Assists and Steals/turnovers forced.........

azhog10

Quote from: HF#1 on January 28, 2015, 10:09:16 am
Agree about Monk, disagree on Allen.

hogman99

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 28, 2015, 11:16:56 am

What offense would you draw up to get Portis more involved? Or is it a function of Portis not being able/willing to re-post once he is knocked off the blocks the first time?

I do agree with the point about Portis, Qualls, Beard getting most of the touches, with Madden being a spot up jump shooter.
AR actually does a decent job of finding soft spots in the zones. They flash a guy to the dotted line in the lane a lot for open shots. They either don't hit them, or they try to take the ball in too deep and turn it over. That needs to be addressed.

Defense:

Man – Fundamental solid man to man defense.  Players play between their man and the goal. No switching, teach the hedge technique to fight over screens.  Understand before the game who the best shooter(s) are and stick with those player(s), too many times we leave shooters wide open. This takes discipline and want too and the coaches need to understand and teach these techniques.  When ball is shot all payers are to find their man and block out.  Need to teach them to not stand around and to focus on tasks at hand.

Press should only happen when needed or as showing another look.  The press has not been effective and only leads to a tired Arkansas team.

Offense:

To attack the zone the ball needs to be fed to the high post.  Portis is the man for this, with either Harris, Kingsley or Williams on the low post. This group is to only shoot when they are inside the painted area (discipline).  In order to get the defense to move, which will open up the high post, the point throws to the wings and cuts through as this will get the defense to react. Dribbling the ball is to be limited as ball movement is key to finding open areas.  The more cuts and less dribbling will open the high post as this is the soft spot in zones.  If not, then open shots are available for Qualls, Beard, Madden or Bell.  Once the ball is at the high post, Portis can either shoot a 13-15 footer or if covered (because the defense will/may react), pass to the low post or open shooters on the wing or corner.  In order to get Portis more involved, he and the low post player can switch as the ball is being passed around. This will lead to more defensive movement and will lead to the high and low posts to flash to the open area (This is where the basketball IQ that has been talked about comes into play).

These are techinques that are not hard, but does take a coach to sell the team that this is what will get us an elite level and not just a 1st round game in the NCAA tourney. In other words, the coach is the boss and the team will do what he requests. Watch some of the elite teams and compare their defensive and offesive sets to ours. 

The play Tennessee ran at the end of the game to get a wide open look in the corner for a chance to tie the game was very well executed.  It didn't go in, but it gave them a chance and if I were CMA i would steal that play. The one we ran before half was not real good.

tophawg19

one last question is it coaches not teaching fundamentals , players not executing or a combo of both.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tomahawkhog

Wow, hard to believe we're even having this conversation. 16-4, seems we should be talking about seeding and where we'll play our first round games. Seems to me that something else is in play with some of our fans other than how our basketball team is playing.
Go Hogs!

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogman99 on January 28, 2015, 11:53:45 am

These are techinques that are not hard, but does take a coach to sell the team that this is what will get us an elite level and not just a 1st round game in the NCAA tourney. In other words, the coach is the boss and the team will do what he requests. Watch some of the elite teams and compare their defensive and offensive sets to ours. 

O and D suggestion are excellent.

About coaching and selling something because you are the boss... Well, that's were the problem is and that's real sad.

Can anything be done about it? 

This is way out in right field and off the wall, etc., but wouldn't it be nice to have Nolan be the enforcer of technique for Mike...?

You heard that right.  Mike cut his teeth for 17 years as Nolan's assitant.  How 'bout a little turnabout, if nothing more than at home—a guru consultant!

Hoggish1

Quote from: tomahawkhog on January 28, 2015, 12:02:40 pm
Wow, hard to believe we're even having this conversation. 16-4, seems we should be talking about seeding and where we'll play our first round games. Seems to me that something else is in play with some of our fans other than how our basketball team is playing.

No, I don't think that's it.  Have you been comfortable watching these last 10 games?  I'm not involved anymore because I've resigned myself that every game will come down to the wire with an equal chance for a win or loss.  So, I try to watch with as little passion as possible to keep from getting too involved.  I try to take everything in stride to ease the angst.

Our games should not always be up for grabs.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: hogman99 on January 28, 2015, 11:53:45 am
Defense:

Man – Fundamental solid man to man defense.  Players play between their man and the goal. No switching, teach the hedge technique to fight over screens.  Understand before the game who the best shooter(s) are and stick with those player(s), too many times we leave shooters wide open. This takes discipline and want too and the coaches need to understand and teach these techniques.  When ball is shot all payers are to find their man and block out.  Need to teach them to not stand around and to focus on tasks at hand.

Press should only happen when needed or as showing another look.  The press has not been effective and only leads to a tired Arkansas team.

Offense:

To attack the zone the ball needs to be fed to the high post.  Portis is the man for this, with either Harris, Kingsley or Williams on the low post. This group is to only shoot when they are inside the painted area (discipline).  In order to get the defense to move, which will open up the high post, the point throws to the wings and cuts through as this will get the defense to react. Dribbling the ball is to be limited as ball movement is key to finding open areas.  The more cuts and less dribbling will open the high post as this is the soft spot in zones.  If not, then open shots are available for Qualls, Beard, Madden or Bell.  Once the ball is at the high post, Portis can either shoot a 13-15 footer or if covered (because the defense will/may react), pass to the low post or open shooters on the wing or corner.  In order to get Portis more involved, he and the low post player can switch as the ball is being passed around. This will lead to more defensive movement and will lead to the high and low posts to flash to the open area (This is where the basketball IQ that has been talked about comes into play).

These are techinques that are not hard, but does take a coach to sell the team that this is what will get us an elite level and not just a 1st round game in the NCAA tourney. In other words, the coach is the boss and the team will do what he requests. Watch some of the elite teams and compare their defensive and offesive sets to ours. 

The play Tennessee ran at the end of the game to get a wide open look in the corner for a chance to tie the game was very well executed.  It didn't go in, but it gave them a chance and if I were CMA i would steal that play. The one we ran before half was not real good.

Thank you!

Shot discipline is one of the biggest faults of this team offensively IMO. Some guys will pass up open looks they should take, some will take shot they shouldn't. They do a decent job at times of finding the soft spots and then either miss open shots, or don't take them, dribble into traffic and get turned-over. They pass up, or can't make a large number of 12 foot jumpers, which is astounding to me.

Pressing teams have to completely sell out to be effective. You can't do it half-ass. I don't think AR has the length or lateral quickness to be a really good pressing team. There are more [CENSORED] cats on this team than alley cats. I liked the straight man they opened up in against Mizzou, but you are correct, they need to hedge and go over the screens to get to shooters. One switch and you may get away with. Two, and someone has a layup or open jumper.

Overall, I have always thought this team to be somewhere between 18-22 in the country. If they go to the sweet 16, they will over achieve. If they miss the tourny or lose in the first Rd, they will have underachieved. It should be fun to watch.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hog Fan...DOH!

I think some people forget that a game is 40 minutes.  They see something about a game plan not working, or don't like the way a team is playing, but then fail to see the big picture.  Both Tennessee games represent the effect of full-court press. 

Arkansas played poorly in the first half of both games (TN is better than some are giving credit, but I digress).  Arkansas was down double digits in the first game, came back at the end when TN got tired and made it close.  Second game?  Arkansas once again played like crap for 10-12 minutes of first half.  Then, TN wore down at the end of the game, missed some open looks they were hitting earlier, and Ar wins.  Why?  The press. 

Clemson and OM games are inexplicable- but you know what?  Sometimes you just lose. OM has had our number for 15 years and through multiple head coaches on both sides.  It's maddening. 

Bottom line? 16-4 and headed toward NCAA tourney in comfortable fashion.  Gotta get there first, then continue to build program and brand. 

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 28, 2015, 12:06:14 pm
No, I don't think that's it.  Have you been comfortable watching these last 10 games?  I'm not involved anymore because I've resigned myself that every game will come down to the wire with an equal chance for a win or loss.  So, I try to watch with as little passion as possible to keep from getting too involved.  I try to take everything in stride to ease the angst.

Our games should not always be up for grabs.

This has to be the strangest analogy of sports I've ever read. Not involved because every game comes down to the wire. As little passion as possible to keep from getting involved. Our games should not always be up for grabs.Man there is nothing like 40 point blowouts to have me sitting on the edge of my seat, involved, with passion, at the one minute mark!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 28, 2015, 12:25:32 pm
This has to be the strangest analogy of sports I've ever read. Not involved because every game comes down to the wire. As little passion as possible to keep from getting involved. Our games should not always be up for grabs.Man there is nothing like 40 point blowouts to have me sitting on the edge of my seat, involved, with passion, at the one minute mark!!

I really believe most fans care way more about the end result than being evolved in the evolution of their teams. They should just get the results off the ESPN ticker. It would save them a lot of grief.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

hogs25

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 28, 2015, 11:16:56 am

Can't find what we're ranked in total defense but know we're either 12th or 13th in the SEC.   This will give you an idea on where the Hogs have got to improve on defense before March Madness...

Rebounds 63rd in the nation
Blocks 105th in the nation
Steals we're 46th UAPB just happened to see it is ranked 18th in steals. 

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics

Hoggish1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 28, 2015, 12:25:32 pm

Let me re-phrase:  At first, and over considerable time, I started out screaming a yelling at blown leads, ball screens switches that left an open man to shoot in rhythm, bad shots taken after open shooters passed up easy shots, dribblers going out of control into traffic and the like... This was very frustrating and inexplicable to me.

I come to a game a lot less personally invested, so that I am not exhausted and heart sick, because in the end there are going to be blown leads and bad decisions that will let a team back in rather than good decisions that keep a foot on their necks till they bleed.

Is that better?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Danny J

Quote from: poloprince on January 28, 2015, 10:14:12 am
Yeah....I am afraid people don't quite realize what we have in Whitt.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Danny J on January 28, 2015, 02:18:47 pm
Yeah....I am afraid people don't quite realize what we have in Whitt.

Really?

All I ever see is how great Whitt is and that's why we don't need Allen. I think the general consensus is that we have a stud in Whitt. I'm afraid people don't quite realize what we're going to be missing in Allen. The two would have been dynamite together and paired with Anton Beard (and maybe Nick Babb).

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 28, 2015, 10:37:19 am
Cat quick, minimum 6'5", guards that hit 90% free throws, 48% from three, 60% inside the arc, great handles, vision, tremendous leapers, and of course high BB IQ.  For forwards, same thing only bigger...

A.  Every coach in the country wants what you just described.  I seriously doubt MA is overlooking them.  they don't grow on trees. Especially forwards who meet this description.

B.  Qualls is athletic.

EFBAB

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: hogs25 on January 28, 2015, 12:54:38 pm
Can't find what we're ranked in total defense but know we're either 12th or 13th in the SEC.   This will give you an idea on where the Hogs have got to improve on defense before March Madness...

Rebounds 63rd in the nation
Blocks 105th in the nation
Steals we're 46th UAPB just happened to see it is ranked 18th in steals. 

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics

Again, those are talking points. I was more interested in specific measures so many of the folks on here that say MA is weak on "Xs and Os" would take. I have done that in about 5 threads and, so far, have gotten one response.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Dirty

ifghog

Quote from: tomahawkhog on January 28, 2015, 12:02:40 pm
Really??? How far do you think we will go in the tourney. Maybe the difference in me and some is I am not satisfied to just make the tourney in YEAR 4 of CMA's tenure. You can go look at my posts. I have been PRO CMA  all along. I just think we are built for this year...not the future. We need to be talking sweet 16 at worst in year 4 and maybe we get there this year. If we do then good...its where we should be. Guys this is my opinion. Many don't agree. I see the improvement this year but I also see losing Qualls and Portis and then asking...where will the scoring come from next year? All of you crying race are way out of line though.

scruf

tomahawkhog

Quote from: ifghog on January 28, 2015, 03:23:17 pm
Really??? How far do you think we will go in the tourney. Maybe the difference in me and some is I am not satisfied to just make the tourney in YEAR 4 of CMA's tenure. You can go look at my posts. I have been PRO CMA  all along. I just think we are built for this year...not the future. We need to be talking sweet 16 at worst in year 4 and maybe we get there this year. If we do then good...its where we should be. Guys this is my opinion. Many don't agree. I see the improvement this year but I also see losing Qualls and Portis and then asking...where will the scoring come from next year? All of you crying race are way out of line though.
My question to you is this...we haven't made the tourney since 2008, but this year your expectation is what?  A final four appearance?  And we're 7 games into an 18 game conference season, sitting at 5-2, and people are complaining because we're not winning by a certain margin. Sorry, but it sounds completely idiotic.
Go Hogs!

Nipsey Mussle

You decided to start this thread after we move to 16-4 and 5-2 in conference? Good Lord, our fans are ridiculous.