Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beard, Madden, Williams, Qualls, Portis

Started by runich, January 28, 2015, 12:14:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

runich

Maybe even swap out Williams or Qualls for Kingsley in that mix(when one needs a spell).....but would love to see that group get solid time together each game....thoughts?

razorbackfanatic

I agree except right now Harris deserves to be in that lineup over Williams. Beard needs to start from here on out. Madden's really starting to play more like he should have this season. Madden still scares me to death when he leaves his feet and tries to make acrobatic passes. He really is a capable ball handler if he slows down and takes his time. Having Beard be able to run the point some really frees him up to spot up from his spot just off the top of the key. But we need more dribble penetration from Beard, Durham and Babb.

razorbackfanatic

The issue is if we start that lineup and then sub 5 for 5, that second group doesn't have much of an offensive threat. Durham, Bell, Watkins, Williams(Harris), Kingsley with Babb rotating in that group. I think Babb has a lot of potential just very green. He had a nice block tonight. If Thompson was ready this season it would help us so much with depth in the front court and give us much more flexibility. Portis over the past 4 games or so has really put some minutes in.

runich

Agree totally....seems to me that I've been saying we need more dribble penetration for more than a decade now :(.  Agree with Madden comment also...he makes some of the worst decisions then other times he makes huge plays.  We desperately need him to play smarter.

runich

I'm not a big fan of the 5 for 5 subs....i really don't like subbing more than 2 players at once....doing that at least most of the team out there has a feel for the flow of the game.

razorbackfanatic

If u can do it adequately I don't have a problem with it, but unless you have Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc type talent that's hard to do. We really have an odd assortment of talent on this team and it gets even more odd once u get past the first 7 or 8 guys.

chiti66

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on January 28, 2015, 12:20:10 am
I agree except right now Harris deserves to be in that lineup over Williams. Beard needs to start from here on out. Madden's really starting to play more like he should have this season. Madden still scares me to death when he leaves his feet and tries to make acrobatic passes. He really is a capable ball handler if he slows down and takes his time. Having Beard be able to run the point some really frees him up to spot up from his spot just off the top of the key. But we need more dribble penetration from Beard, Durham and Babb.

This^^^^^!!  Been saying this since conference play began.  Just stay with this line-up (Harris instead of Williams) and let the guys play!!  I would employ a platoon system, but the second group would be my TRUE pressing unit, period.  I like Durham/Manny/Babb/Williams/Moses as a second unit.  Bell would be my wildcard and would insert him freely with either unit.  I just don't feel that he is the type of player that can play extended minutes.  He needs to be our Vinny "Microwave" Johnson!!! 

WPS!!!

3of5-2

If the Madden situation doesn't get fixed, it will be an early exit from the NCAAT, and a long summer thinking about what could have been.

dhizzle

I would like madden moved to the two because he is shooting the three well. Let beard drive dish and let him hit the three.

Letsroll1200

Harris and Beard have produced and played their way into the starting line up. I'm so impressed by our coaching staff for being able to win games without a reliable 3 point threat. Bell was expected to be the guy that could knock down the 3 ball but has been very inconsistent.

If this team can get Bell going from deep its going to open a lot of things for Razorbacks. This team is winning games and they haven't played close to a perfect game. When this team starts to click, defend the rim and make shots they are going to make some noise in the SEC tournament.

razorbackfanatic

I agree with all the above lol ;D! Someone said the other night maybe a commentator, but he said the issue with Bell is he's a streaky shooter and has to get in a rythym and the only way to do this is take open shots. The problem is sometimes his open shot comes with 28 seconds left on the shot clock and if he misses, it causes a horrible possession for us.

Things like this are part of the reason why that when we get on a mini run and get up by like 5 or 6 we stall out and let them creep back in, instead of putting our foot on the jugular and running them out of the building.

He had two nice 2-pointers the other night that helped us out tremendously when we really needed a bucket. He needs to do more of that, he seems to be shooting a pretty good clip from inside the arc.

If Beard can get more comfortable and attack the 2-3 zone, we can have Madden spotting up off the key and Qualls spotting up in the corner. That drive will also cause the defenders on Bobby and Alandise to help and that will cause easy passes down low to them for easy lay ins/dunks and also allow Bobby and Jacorey or Alandise to stay in the paint and fight for an offensive rebound if Beard dishes it out to Ky or Mike. Every time Madden shoots a 3 from his spot I think it's going in. We've got to get him to primarily stay at the 2.

I don't see it happening, but if somehow Portis came back next season, the addition of Whitt would make a huge impact on this team from the offensive side. Also I think Babb is going to be a player for us and potentially can be a shutdown perimeter defender.  :razorback:

chiti66

"Also I think Babb is going to be a player for us and potentially can be a shutdown perimeter defender."

I agree, but I think he does have a decent offensive game, but lacks the confidence.  If the shot is not falling then take it to the cup!!  Manny, IMO is also another that could be a lock-down defender....imagine having him and Babb (either could run the PG) on the court with Bell, Williams and MK as our 2nd unit.  Come on CMA....you have a team that can do some things this year!  WPS!!!

hogman99

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on January 28, 2015, 12:48:12 am
If u can do it adequately I don't have a problem with it, but unless you have Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc type talent that's hard to do. We really have an odd assortment of talent on this team and it gets even more odd once u get past the first 7 or 8 guys.

For the record, Duke and Kansas don't sub 5 for 5.  Duke's top 3 players play the majority of the game and they are fresh as daisies at the end of the game. Some of you really need to watch other teams play to see the difference in how the game management is handled by others.

We do not have near the talent and we do not play near as "FAST" as those teams, so we really should not be subbing 5 for 5.  That is CMA way of avoiding tough conversations with the guys who don't play. This is an area he really needs to figure out how to change.  It looks like he is hoping someone will get hot at a given night.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GuvHog

Quote from: hogman99 on January 29, 2015, 08:39:33 am
For the record, Duke and Kansas don't sub 5 for 5.  Duke's top 3 players play the majority of the game and they are fresh as daisies at the end of the game. Some of you really need to watch other teams play to see the difference in how the game management is handled by others.

We do not have near the talent and we do not play near as "FAST" as those teams, so we really should not be subbing 5 for 5.  That is CMA way of avoiding tough conversations with the guys who don't play. This is an area he really needs to figure out how to change.  It looks like he is hoping someone will get hot at a given night.

The reason Duke's top 3 players play the majority of the game is because this year Duke doesn't have as much depth as they are used to having. Normally coach K likes to play at least 9 deep.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

That line up will work well for a fast paced full court game but if a team slows the Hogs down and forces a half court game, a better defensive lineup is need which is:

PG - Beard
SG - Madden
SF - Qualls
PF - Portis
PF - Kingsley

Mike mentioned in his Tennessee post game interview Tuesday that the Hog defense is at it's best with both Kingsley and Portis on the floor at the same time.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogman99

Quote from: GuvHog on January 29, 2015, 09:37:45 am
The reason Duke's top 3 players play the majority of the game is because this year Duke doesn't have as much depth as they are used to having. Normally coach K likes to play at least 9 deep.

8 or 9 man rotation is fine, but subbing 5 for 5 is not. Also, we try to play 11 at times and it is a bit of a reach. Mixing players in with your better players is the way to do things with a 8 or 9 man rotation.  The only league that can do 5 for 5 is the NBA because they are the best in the world.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogman99 on January 29, 2015, 09:55:51 am
8 or 9 man rotation is fine, but subbing 5 for 5 is not. Also, we try to play 11 at times and it is a bit of a reach. Mixing players in with your better players is the way to do things with a 8 or 9 man rotation.  The only league that can do 5 for 5 is the NBA because they are the best in the world.

We play 11 because Mike is waiting for one of Babb or Durham to step up and take that last spot in the 10 man rotation. Neither is really taking it over.

Cresthog

Quote from: HF#1 on January 29, 2015, 08:49:26 am
I like Harris more than Williams. 

When he plays smart on offense I agree. He's a better rebounder and defender.

hogman99

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 29, 2015, 09:59:53 am
We play 11 because Mike is waiting for one of Babb or Durham to step up and take that last spot in the 10 man rotation. Neither is really taking it over.

Again, that step should have already been firgured out in pre conference games and practice and that is the same story every year.  Also, we don't really need a 10 man rotation because it doesn't work as I have outlined in an above post.

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: hogman99 on January 29, 2015, 08:39:33 am

For the record, I didn't say those teams did that. Kentucky does. The point I was trying to make was teams with their talent level(multiple Mcdonalds AA & top 100) have the luxury of being able to do that more adequately usually. Meaning are players 6-10 are on a completely different talent level than their 6-10,  making it hard to sub 5 for 5 and not have a large drop off of talent on the floor.