Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

who cares how?

Started by lefty08, January 27, 2015, 10:46:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty08

Just keep winning. Nobody cares about the labor, they just wanna see the baby
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lrcentral

Quote from: lefty08 on January 27, 2015, 10:46:01 pm

Actually i want to see the conception.

BrooklynRoss

(Sets Ircentral to "ignore.") Just kidding, that was hilarious.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

johnfanman

Good teams consistently win. Even if the games are ugly or close, good teams win. That is so far the difference between this year and too other many years to count. At least in my humble opinion, which is obviously correct!
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

PonderinHog

Quote from: lrcentral on January 27, 2015, 10:47:24 pm
Actually i want to see the conception.
Maybe and then again, maybe not...

3kgthog

I care because winning consistently isn't sustainable with the way we play. It'll continue to be win 2-3, lose 2, win 3, lose 1, etc. That's my worry in a nutshell.

hawginbigd1

I really just want to post something before everything gets locked!

Seriously IMO we are really only 7 deep with quality and one of those is a freshman! In order for us to make it to the tourney and compete portis, qualls,  and madden are going to have to figure out a way to play effectively for 32 to 34 minutes a game. The majority of the rest has to go to beard, bell, and Harris, then figure out how to not lose ground playing Durham, Watkins, Kingsley, and Williams 3 to 5 minutes a game.

Beaverfever

I agree.  Basketball is a game of streaks anyway.  The idea in the regular season is to just win games and hope you peak when it counts.  Maybe these close games will pay off and we'll hit our stride at the right time. 

Beaverfever

Also the difference in our level of play at home and on the road seems to have drastically decreased.  We complained about that for awhile so I'll take the consistency.  We've only laid a couple eggs through 20 games.  We're usually at 5-6 by now. 

Optimus Swine

I just don't understand why we continue to show a complete lack of fundamentals.  I love winning, but we are edging out teams we should hammer, especially at home. If we continue to beat everyone then I guess its moot, but c'mon, it just aint gonna happen if we don't improve.  We continuously fail to communicate on screens.  We double the drive they kick to the screened, who rains 3's on our behind.  We refuse to block out anyone on defense, and inferior teams are allowed to stay in the gsame with second chance points.
  I LOVE MY HOGS, and CMA, but these things have to change if we are to make any post season noise.  We aren't usually the smartest team on the court.
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.
Yogi Berra

TheRazorbackGuy

This team is built to win close games and fans need to get over it!

Kevin

Hogs are doing exactly what they have to do win.  Separate themselves from the pack   Just keep finding a way to win.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

chiti66

Quote from: Optimus Swine on January 27, 2015, 11:38:03 pm
I just don't understand why we continue to show a complete lack of fundamentals.  I love winning, but we are edging out teams we should hammer, especially at home. If we continue to beat everyone then I guess its moot, but c'mon, it just aint gonna happen if we don't improve.  We continuously fail to communicate on screens.  We double the drive they kick to the screened, who rains 3's on our behind.  We refuse to block out anyone on defense, and inferior teams are allowed to stay in the gsame with second chance points.
  I LOVE MY HOGS, and CMA, but these things have to change if we are to make any post season noise.  We aren't usually the smartest team on the court.

My thoughts exactly!  We have the superior team, but we don't seem to have the fire to put teams away!!!  NO way we should be within 7-10 points of Missouri or TN.  We should have ran both teams out of the gym by pounding them inside with BP, Harris and MK.  We play scared.....what's up with CMA???  I first met him at the SEC tourney back in 96 or 97....I was so impressed with his swagger...like, hell ya, The Hogs are HERE!!!!  I just don't see it anymore.  He seems too passive, IMHO.  Get the fire back MIKE!!!

WPS!!

heatmiser

I agree. I care because I want the winning to be sustainable. Not a one year and done deal.
Arkansas Razorbacks

lefty08

Quote from: heatmiser on January 28, 2015, 06:35:49 am
I agree. I care because I want the winning to be sustainable. Not a one year and done deal.

And what makes you think it's not sustainable? I think it's a case of holding this team to a standard we don't hold others to.
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

RacinRazorback

Quote from: Optimus Swine on January 27, 2015, 11:38:03 pm

I agree 100%. I am glad to see we are winning close games, but playing fundamental Bball would make these games lots easier for us. Our "press" is awful! We allowed 40 minutes of layups, 10' jumpers. In the half court we never stop the dribble right up the middle and then we don't block out. I am starting to think we have athletes not basketball players, there is a difference. I love the Hogs and hope we keep winning, but a few adjustments would make things a lot easier on the players and the fans. WPS!

jkstock04

Majority of razorback fans care how. Most people would rather lose playing the "right" way vs. win playing the "wrong" way. Our football team is a prime example. Our fan base is a weird one.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 27, 2015, 11:06:49 pm
I really just want to post something before everything gets locked!

Seriously IMO we are really only 7 deep with quality and one of those is a freshman! In order for us to make it to the tourney and compete portis, qualls,  and madden are going to have to figure out a way to play effectively for 32 to 34 minutes a game. The majority of the rest has to go to beard, bell, and Harris, then figure out how to not lose ground playing Durham, Watkins, Kingsley, and Williams 3 to 5 minutes a game.

You are so right when as it relates to quality depth. MA is going to have to shorten his rotation because he is not getting much production out of the bench play.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 28, 2015, 08:53:12 am
You are so right when as it relates to quality depth. MA is going to have to shorten his rotation because he is not getting much production out of the bench play.

What ever happened to Trey Thompson and Keaton Miles? Did they get injured?

lwillin

Ugly wins a are better than ugly losses.

Hawg Red

Wins are certainly better than losses, but it absolutely matters how. It doesn't matter if you win an ugly game here and there, but it's a concern when it becomes a pattern because that type of success isn't sustainable. Might just be an ugly stretch, but people are going to get antsy because this is THE year. It has to happen this year. We might not make the tournament next year even if everyone but Portis comes back. If Portis and Qualls leave, there's almost no way we make the NCAAs. So, when the team starts to look pretty shaky (as they have the last 4 games), it's a concern for some (or many). That doesn't mean people are unhappy that we're winning. It just means that they want to feel better about our chances going forward, and that's hard knowing that we're just barely winning the way we have been and still not defending well. Like I said, could just be an ugly stretch, but people have waited soooo long for this season that they're going to get restless when it looks like we start to fall back into old, familiar patterns that aren't conducive to prolonged success. Fans will gripe and complain, but they're still fans. I don't think anyone is off the bandwagon at this juncture. Just worried about how the wagon is riding.

GuvHog

Quote from: lefty08 on January 28, 2015, 06:50:29 am
And what makes you think it's not sustainable? I think it's a case of holding this team to a standard we don't hold others to.

The fact that the Hogs could lose as many as 4 players from this team when the season is over while having only one recruit joining the team next fall doesn't bode well for next season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on January 28, 2015, 09:58:39 am
The fact that the Hogs could lose as many as 4 players from this team when the season is over while having only one recruit joining the team next fall doesn't bode well for next season.

I think we will keep either Qualls or Portis.  Not sure we will keep both.  I'm not concerned about recruiting, we will fill the class appropriately. 

Next season will be a stop-gap season either way. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawg Red

Quote from: HF#1 on January 28, 2015, 10:00:28 am
I think we will keep either Qualls or Portis.  Not sure we will keep both.  I'm not concerned about recruiting, we will fill the class appropriately. 

Next season will be a stop-gap season either way.

Which is a major concern when you think about Malik Monk. Then again, it may not matter. I've heard rumblings that he's concerned with the level of talent he'd be playing with. No doubt we have some nice players, but I think he's looking to play with players closer to his caliber. That isn't going to happen here unless Portis is still here as a senior, which is highly unlikely.

I'd hate to get to the tournament this season and turn right back around and be in the NIT or no postseason next year. One step forward, two steps back.

hogfan10

Quote from: lefty08 on January 28, 2015, 06:50:29 am

I think every Razorback (men's) team is held to this standard. Fans want to go into games confident of a win, not uncertain of which team will show up.
That holds true for football, basketball, & baseball.

HF#1

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 28, 2015, 10:03:58 am
Which is a major concern when you think about Malik Monk. Then again, it may not matter. I've heard rumblings that he's concerned with the level of talent he'd be playing with. No doubt we have some nice players, but I think he's looking to play with players closer to his caliber. That isn't going to happen here unless Portis is still here as a senior, which is highly unlikely.

I'd hate to get to the tournament this season and turn right back around and be in the NIT or no postseason next year. One step forward, two steps back.

You know, in football one player doesn't make or break a program in most cases.  Now you do have your Andrew Luck's and Cam Newton's that can change programs but it's rare. 

In Basketball, one player can absolutely change a program.  One player can take you from middle of the pack to the top.  Guys like Monk and Allen are homegrown elite talents that we have to have imo. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

lefty08

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 28, 2015, 10:14:44 am
I think every Razorback (men's) team is held to this standard. Fans want to go into games confident of a win, not uncertain of which team will show up.
That holds true for football, basketball, & baseball.

I agree, I was referring to opponents standards

Dirty

Quote from: RacinRazorback on January 28, 2015, 07:27:49 am

I agree 100%. I am glad to see we are winning close games, but playing fundamental Bball would make these games lots easier for us. Our "press" is awful! We allowed 40 minutes of layups, 10' jumpers. In the half court we never stop the dribble right up the middle and then we don't block out. I am starting to think we have athletes not basketball players, there is a difference. I love the Hogs and hope we keep winning, but a few adjustments would make things a lot easier on the players and the fans. WPS!

Does MA recruit athletes or basketball players with a high IQ?  I think the SEC in a whole is recruiting athletes except for Vanderbilt.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 28, 2015, 07:34:05 am
Majority of razorback fans care how. Most people would rather lose playing the "right" way vs. win playing the "wrong" way. Our football team is a prime example. Our fan base is a weird one.

Our fans are more sophisticated and astute than some of you give them credit for being.  Message boards aren't the best way to judge this.  This was discussed back in the non conference regarding our basketball program.  Hog fans understand the game and know when they see sustained success coming and a high level of success.  Perhaps it is spoiled or even misguided but we should appreciate that some still have expectations for the program. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lefty08

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 28, 2015, 10:03:57 pm
Our fans are more sophisticated and astute than some of you give them credit for being.  Message boards aren't the best way to judge this.  This was discussed back in the non conference regarding our basketball program.  Hog fans understand the game and know when they see sustained success coming and a high level of success.  Perhaps it is spoiled or even misguided but we should appreciate that some still have expectations for the program.
agree on the first point. Having expectations is a lil different than nitpicking a 16-4 basketball team however. When u reach the point you only feel emotion after a loss it's time for a new hobby

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lefty08 on January 28, 2015, 10:07:09 pm
agree on the first point. Having expectations is a lil different than nitpicking a 16-4 basketball team however. When u reach the point you only feel emotion after a loss it's time for a new hobby

What if you feel no emotion for wins or losses?  Some in our fan base are apathetic now.  We don't want that growing. 

A lot of critical posts are ridiculous.  They are as useless as the Rick Schaeffer posts without context.  If some here would be less militant in their protection and appointing themselves protectors looking for agendas, the board would be much less chaotic and the ridiculous posts could be policed and addressed.  Right now, threads are going to darn. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lefty08

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 28, 2015, 10:12:28 pm
What if you feel no emotion for wins or losses?  Some in our fan base are apathetic now.  We don't want that growing. 

A lot of critical posts are ridiculous.  They are as useless as the Rick Schaeffer posts without context.  If some here would be less militant in their protection and appointing themselves protectors looking for agendas, the board would be much less chaotic and the ridiculous posts could be policed and addressed.  Right now, threads are going to darn.

You are 100% correct, fans that just want to see wins by kids taking care of business on and off the court is ridiculous. The fact they cant cover a 9 point spread at home and only win by 5 to a team tied for 2nd in the league (and a team they got beat by earlier in the year) is pure garbage. /sarcasm off

Threads like this aren't protecting anything. I don't get that argument at all. I'm a fan, always will be, no matter the amount of wins the team can get. As long as the program is heading in a positive direction I don't feel the need to care much how the wins come.

We can talk all day about things that need to change to take things to the next level and those talks are constructive. The only thing I get sick of are the player so and so sucks and the team is horrible opinions. Not only are they unnecessary they are completely false. It is possible for people to have wrong opinions, and there are plenty that get posted on here

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lefty08 on January 28, 2015, 10:19:18 pm
You are 100% correct, fans that just want to see wins by kids taking care of business on and off the court is ridiculous. The fact they cant cover a 9 point spread at home and only win by 5 to a team tied for 2nd in the league (and a team they got beat by earlier in the year) is pure garbage. /sarcasm off

Threads like this aren't protecting anything. I don't get that argument at all. I'm a fan, always will be, no matter the amount of wins the team can get. As long as the program is heading in a positive direction I don't feel the need to care much how the wins come.

We can talk all day about things that need to change to take things to the next level and those talks are constructive. The only thing I get sick of are the player so and so sucks and the team is horrible opinions. Not only are they unnecessary they are completely false. It is possible for people to have wrong opinions, and there are plenty that get posted on here

Why the need for the sarcasm? 

I didn't say this particular thread was about protecting anything. 

Okay, you don't care.  I understand that and can respect that point of view.  Respect other opinion as long as it doesn't cross the line. 

The posts about players are misguided and do cross the line sometimes.  But they'll be refuted or even deleted if they break the rules. 

lefty08

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 28, 2015, 10:28:39 pm
Why the need for the sarcasm? 

I didn't say this particular thread was about protecting anything. 

Okay, you don't care.  I understand that and can respect that point of view.  Respect other opinion as long as it doesn't cross the line. 

The posts about players are misguided and do cross the line sometimes.  But they'll be refuted or even deleted if they break the rules.

I said I didn't care how the wins come, not that I don't care. Big difference. I've got no problem with others opinions. There are a lot of things we can improve on. My point is enjoy the wins for what they are, just another win. Too many people on here have forgotten where we we e e a few short years ago. Its like collective amnesia

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lefty08 on January 28, 2015, 10:31:13 pm
I said I didn't care how the wins come, not that I don't care. Big difference. I've got no problem with others opinions. There are a lot of things we can improve on. My point is enjoy the wins for what they are, just another win. Too many people on here have forgotten where we we e e a few short years ago. Its like collective amnesia

I think fans know where we were.  Some are able to enjoy the improvement and the process.  We all know the process can't be skipped and we just return to prominence(well unless a coach recruits like Calipari).  Other fans want to look ahead as returning to the NCAAT is just a step.  They want to see some evidence something bigger and sustainable is coming.  This is not going to mix well with those enjoying the moment. 

We'll ignore the other factor for now. 

hogman64

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 28, 2015, 12:01:27 am
This team is built to win close games and fans need to get over it!

How so?...... when a team needs a three to tie the game in the closing seconds and our defender leaves his man on the three point line  wide open to run inside and try to block a layup , I sort of wonder about our basketball smarts , and usually smart teams win the close games over the long run....