Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Portis Mock Draft To Spurs

Started by chiefhawg, January 26, 2015, 09:34:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefhawg

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/

Draft Express has Bobby at 21 to the Spurs. That would be great for Bobby.

Hawg Red

As good of a fit as there probably could be. And it would be perfect timing with Duncan possibly retiring after the season and Diaw getting close to the end of his career.

Smalltownhog95

Great place for him to end up. Really wish he'd give us 1 more year but don't have a good feeling that he will.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

CDBHawg

I was thinking the other day how well he'd fit in there.

chiefhawg

Bobby replacing "The Big Fundamental". Could not get much better that that.

Mick Hogger

That would be a great organization to start his career at. There aren't many franchises in any sport ran more efficiently than the Spurs.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

TheRazorbackGuy

Portis needs to go to Denver. The Nuggets could use a guy to backup Faried and I'm sure Ty Lawson can show him a good time on his 21st birthday.

onebadrubi

Quote from: chiefhawg on January 26, 2015, 09:34:27 am
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/

Draft Express has Bobby at 21 to the Spurs. That would be great for Bobby.

This would guarantee Portis a great second contract in the NBA, which is what all of his decisions need to be based on. 

The_Iceman

Looking at the 2016 draft, he would probably be an easy Top 10 pick, maybe Top 5 if he continues to improve his game. It might be advantageous for him to stay one more year if he is projected in the bottom of the 1st round.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 26, 2015, 12:28:20 pm
Looking at the 2016 draft, he would probably be an easy Top 10 pick, maybe Top 5 if he continues to improve his game. It might be advantageous for him to stay one more year if he is projected in the bottom of the 1st round.

Mike might have his hardest recruitment of a player ever coming up, and the kid is already committed to the hogs.  Portis and if you could even muster Qualls into the conversation to stay would be just pure sick! 

Danny J

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 26, 2015, 02:07:09 pm
Mike might have his hardest recruitment of a player ever coming up, and the kid is already committed to the hogs.  Portis and if you could even muster Qualls into the conversation to stay would be just pure sick!
Indeed....especially considering Whitt coming in. He alone is a difference maker.

FATHAWG08

According to this, Wiile Cauley-Stein has really improved his draft position and financial future by staying an extra 2 years.
I love off season Football!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on January 26, 2015, 06:43:08 pm
According to this, Wiile Cauley-Stein has really improved his draft position and financial future by staying an extra 2 years.

He is a great example.  He got to compete with Davis then randle every day, now he's leading the number 1 team, albeit stacked with studs.  I think he will be a good nba guy, not a star but good player.  If he would have left two years ago he likely would have washed out.

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 26, 2015, 07:13:00 pm
He is a great example.  He got to compete with Davis then randle every day, now he's leading the number 1 team, albeit stacked with studs.  I think he will be a good nba guy, not a star but good player.  If he would have left two years ago he likely would have washed out.

He never played with Anthony Davis. He came the year after Davis.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 27, 2015, 08:43:02 am
He never played with Anthony Davis. He came the year after Davis.

Who was the big 2 seasons ago?  Messed his knee up?  Nerlens Noel or something?

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 27, 2015, 09:15:25 am
Who was the big 2 seasons ago?  Messed his knee up?  Nerlens Noel or something?

Yes, Nerlens Noel. That was the NIT season.

onebadrubi

I watched the thunder game last night.  That could also be a team that could use Portis.  They have nice big man defense with ibaka, Perkins, and Adams.  They could keep Portis out there in the 4 and utilize him well.  He won't be a KD but could definitely help since I really believe they are about lose KD.

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 27, 2015, 09:18:58 am
I watched the thunder game last night.  That could also be a team that could use Portis.  They have nice big man defense with ibaka, Perkins, and Adams.  They could keep Portis out there in the 4 and utilize him well.  He won't be a KD but could definitely help since I really believe they are about lose KD.

I think Perkins is moving on as a free agent if he isn't traded before the deadline, so Portis could be a target if OKC can keep their pick (Cavs get it if it isn't in the top 18).

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 27, 2015, 09:32:11 am
I think Perkins is moving on as a free agent if he isn't traded before the deadline, so Portis could be a target if OKC can keep their pick (Cavs get it if it isn't in the top 18).

Ahh the waiters trade, what a waste.  Good for the CavS though

PonderinHog

completely off topic, but I heard on the radio yesterday that Joe Johnson may be traded to Charlotte.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 27, 2015, 09:53:59 am
completely off topic, but I heard on the radio yesterday that Joe Johnson may be traded to Charlotte.

The nets will have to swallow a lot of his contract.  Joe has always had a much better contract than his talents, bobby Portis needs to use his Agent!  See you actually were on topic. 

Sharky

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 26, 2015, 12:28:20 pm

Portis is gone. Anderson will throw him out the door, because he's not a jerk coach. You don't risk millions for a shot at some sentimental college victories. That's just terrible life advice.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Sharky on January 27, 2015, 11:30:52 am
Portis is gone. Anderson will throw him out the door, because he's not a jerk coach. You don't risk millions for a shot at some sentimental college victories. That's just terrible life advice.

If staying one more year can take you from the bottom of the first round to the Top 10, it might be worth staying.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

Paul

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 26, 2015, 11:54:13 am
This would guarantee Portis a great second contract in the NBA, which is what all of his decisions need to be based on.
good point.  being tutored by Pop will always help ur resume

Hawg Red

Quote from: Paul on January 27, 2015, 12:34:23 pm
  good point.  being tutored by Pop will always help ur resume

Unless you're Arkansas native James Anderson. Did not have the final two years of his rookie deal picked up by the Spurs.

Sharky

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 27, 2015, 11:51:09 am
If staying one more year can take you from the bottom of the first round to the Top 10, it might be worth staying.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

No guarantees Portis would move up that much, or stay healthy. Plus, he'd lose one year from a career with a short shelf life. The benefits of going this year far outweigh a gamble on moving up in the draft.

There's zero chance Portis stays. Buying a lottery ticket is "worth" it if you win, but if you have the winning ticket, you don't go put it on the roulette wheel. Portis has no reason to gamble with his future.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Sharky on January 27, 2015, 01:52:16 pm
No guarantees Portis would move up that much, or stay healthy. Plus, he'd lose one year from a career with a short shelf life. The benefits of going this year far outweigh a gamble on moving up in the draft.

There's zero chance Portis stays. Buying a lottery ticket is "worth" it if you win, but if you have the winning ticket, you don't go put it on the roulette wheel. Portis has no reason to gamble with his future.

So much more to risk by coming back if you're already projected in a good spot. I agree, it's just not worth it. If Bobby was projected in the latter part of the 1st round, it would make more sense for him to come back because he could fall into the 2nd round, but it looks like he'll be projected around the late lottery to mid first round area. Gotta go in that range.

WarPig88

Marcus Smart stayed despite a top 5 type guy. He was smart enough to know he would just become another name in the NBA and be the BMOC with a chance to do something big at OSU. It didn't pan out, but it didn't cost him his shot at millions either.

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on January 27, 2015, 02:26:50 pm
Marcus Smart stayed despite a top 5 type guy. He was smart enough to know he would just become another name in the NBA and be the BMOC with a chance to do something big at OSU. It didn't pan out, but it didn't cost him his shot at millions either.

He would have been the number #2 pick in 2013 and went #6 in 2014 and had what many considered a "down" sophomore season that saw him suspended for pushing a fan in Lubbock, TX. He lost $6,656,180 by deciding to come back, so no, I wouldn't call him "smart." It wasn't a catastrophic mistake because he did still go fairly high but his stock definitely declined from what it was after his freshman season. That just wasn't a good move no matter how you slice it. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 27, 2015, 02:32:27 pm
He would have been the number #2 pick in 2013 and went #6 in 2014 and had what many considered a "down" sophomore season that saw him suspended for pushing a fan in Lubbock, TX. He lost $6,656,180 by deciding to come back, so no, I wouldn't call him "smart." It wasn't a catastrophic mistake because he did still go fairly high but his stock definitely declined from what it was after his freshman season. That just wasn't a good move no matter how you slice it.
Wait, that's not sound financial planning ???

rude1

if BP continues to linger around the bottom of the first round he should strongly consider coming back. If you are a consensus lottery pick on about everyone's board you need to go, but IMO if you are near that bottom of the first round, you need to come back and work yourself into that lottery status if possible. With the improvement he made from year one to two, if he continues that trend from two to three as I believe he will, I have no doubts we are then talking about top 10 and definitely lottery pick status.

Hawg Red

I talk to a lot of people who cite Portis "being projected in the 20s" because they saw it on a mock draft website, and I see that a lot around here. Those things are fun to look at it, but you need to read what the experts that are truly plugged in are saying. It's late January, so it's unlikely that even the scouts and GMs really know where to put a lot of things, but I tend to take more away from what someone like Chad Ford has to say than what Draft Express or NBADraft.net have to say. Chad Ford has Portis as his #13 player for the 2015 class. That, to me, lines up better with how Portis has played this season than the projections placing him in the 20s. Hog fans should assume he's closer to the top 10 than the 20s.

rude1

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 27, 2015, 06:08:50 pm
I talk to a lot of people who cite Portis "being projected in the 20s" because they saw it on a mock draft website, and I see that a lot around here. Those things are fun to look at it, but you need to read what the experts that are truly plugged in are saying. It's late January, so it's unlikely that even the scouts and GMs really know where to put a lot of things, but I tend to take more away from what someone like Chad Ford has to say than what Draft Express or NBADraft.net have to say. Chad Ford has Portis as his #13 player for the 2015 class. That, to me, lines up better with how Portis has played this season than the projections placing him in the 20s. Hog fans should assume he's closer to the top 10 than the 20s.
I wouldn't assume any player is closer to the top 10 based off one guys analysis. I look for a consensus of opinion on a player, if one guy rates him high but everyone else doesn't agree, it's a risky proposition for a player to pick that one guy who has him high and leave based on that. I have only seen like one publication to have BP that high.

Hawg Red

Have to consider who might be more plugged in. Chad Ford has better sources than anyone at a mock draft website, in my estimation. This is Ford's main job at ESPN. Maybe he isn't going off any intel, but I bet he is. Most sites are going off opinion and consensus hype at this point.

And why would you even suggest that I'm saying Portis should leave based on what one person says??

StadiumDrive

Bobby is a great college basketball player, but he is not NBA ready. He'd benefit to stay AT LEAST through next year, if not through his senior year. Something in his game has me concerned he's not going to be able to go in and bang down low with the Gasols, Garnetts, Duncans of the league. It's like he's a half step slower than they are, with no size advantage.

I hope I'm wrong. But that's just my talent evaluation.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: StadiumDrive on January 27, 2015, 11:16:01 pm
Bobby is a great college basketball player, but he is not NBA ready. He'd benefit to stay AT LEAST through next year, if not through his senior year. Something in his game has me concerned he's not going to be able to go in and bang down low with the Gasols, Garnetts, Duncans of the league. It's like he's a half step slower than they are, with no size advantage.

I hope I'm wrong. But that's just my talent evaluation.

Don't here the word bang mentioned in the same sentence with Gasol and Duncan by very many folks. Garnets critics his first 5 or 6 years was he's too soft. He's done pretty well despite that.

Portis is gone and will probably go 15-20. He will get developed more in the NBA than he will at AR. And that's no knock against the coaches. College coaches are here to win games not improve your guys draft stock.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

TheRazorbackGuy

Portis needs to go to Denver. That would be the best for him to learn under Faried

Westcoasthog

Bobby Portis NEEDS TO RETURN TO ARKANSAS TO GET THE RAZORBACKS A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP NEXT YEAR.

Paul

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 27, 2015, 12:56:07 pm
Unless you're Arkansas native James Anderson. Did not have the final two years of his rookie deal picked up by the Spurs.
True, but the Spurs did pick him up for another year after that.  He's having his best year with the awful Sixers this year avg double digits.  Pretty decent career so far making great money & already vested in NBA pension plan! 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Paul on January 28, 2015, 01:25:32 pm
  True, but the Spurs did pick him up for another year after that.  He's having his best year with the awful Sixers this year avg double digits.  Pretty decent career so far making great money & already vested in NBA pension plan!

James Anderson is playing in Lithuania right now. He averaged 10 PPG last season for a Sixers team that boasts mostly non-NBA caliber players on purpose. He has not played in the NBA this season.

Paul

Oh, still making good money & will collect great pension.  I think what BP has going for him that JA didn't was a reliable shot from range & a great work ethic.   

Hawg Red

Quote from: Paul on January 28, 2015, 02:40:21 pm
Oh, still making good money & will collect great pension.  I think what BP has going for him that JA didn't was a reliable shot from range & a great work ethic.   

A player like Portis is also not as common as a generic 2 guard like Anderson. That was his problem -- he just wasn't very special. Dozens and dozens of players just like him.