Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reviewing how today affected our RPI

Started by Fayettechill14, January 24, 2015, 10:29:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

Good:
Arkansas 61, @Mizzou 60
Georgia 72, @Miss State 66 (need our best SEC road win to keep playing well)
@Ole Miss 72, Florida 71 (need our worst loss to look less bad)
@Dayton 63, Richmond 60
@Clemson 59, Wake Forest 57 (prefer Clemson since they are a loss)
@Northwestern State 93, McNeese State 67
@SMU 80, Houston 59 (our best win this season, per RPI)
@Alabama State 84, Alcorn State 60 (if you're gonna play a SWAC team, this is the one: 6-0 in 1st place)
Delaware State 67, @North Carolina A&T 52 (similarly, 4-1 in the MEAC)

Bad:
Texas A&M 67, @Tennessee 61 (we play Tennessee twice)
@Texas Tech 78, Iowa State 73 (big upset)
@UT Martin 70, SE Mo State 53
Southern Miss 75, @North Texas 71
@New Mexico State 69, Utah Valley 44

Doesn't matter:
@Alabama 57, Auburn 55 (we play both once)
LSU 79, @Vanderbilt 75 (we play both once)
Kentucky 58, @South Carolina 43 (probably need UK to go undefeated except vs. us otherwise someone will have a big-time marquee win)

Pretty good day overall. Iowa State losing was the only big killer. North Texas and SE Mo State have been relative disappointments (surprise: a Nutt-coached team is disappointing), but Iona and Alabama State are in first place in their conferences, while Dayton, SMU, and Delaware State are in second place in theirs. A good nonconference slate is paying off.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 24, 2015, 10:29:13 pm
(probably need UK to go undefeated except vs. us otherwise someone will have a big-time marquee win)
Not true IMO.  UK's non-conference slate was so good it would be best for them to lose to some SEC teams and help the entire conference RPI. 

jry04

The initial win jumped us from 25th to 20th, but as games went final we fell to 22nd, so we only gained 3 spots. This win was more about avoid a 15-20 spot jump than it was gaining anything, though. Tenn is currently 55th, so beating them would put us around 15-18 in the rpi going to UF.

Fayettechill14

Looking ahead to this week:

Sunday
Niagara at Iona - Iona is tied for first place in the Metro Atlantic, while Niagara is near the bottom.

Monday
Delaware State at NC Central - NCCU has dominated the MEAC in recent years, but DSU could move into first place with an upset win.
Nicholls State at Northwestern State - Nicholls is bad, so NSU needs to win.
Southern at Alabama State - The Hornets are in first place in the SWAC. Southern is #2 so this is a huge game.
Milwaukee at Valparaiso - Milwaukee has been a disappointment and will likely drop this one.
#17 Texas at #9 Iowa State - HUGE bounceback game for Cyclones. Don't need an 0-2 week.

Tuesday
Tennessee at Arkansas - Need to win to avoid being swept by Tenner.
Vanderbilt at Georgia - Pull for Georgia, they're our big road win.
Florida at Alabama - I'm leaning toward Florida since we play them on the road, but it doesn't really matter.
Texas A&M at Auburn - Same here, leaning toward Auburn but it doesn't matter.

Wednesday
SMU at South Florida - SMU has played well without Frazier. USF is bad.
Wake Forest at Florida State - Wake may win one more conference game. Maybe they can get an upset.
South Carolina at LSU - We play SC twice, so pull for them. Also, we need LSU to fall below us in the potential seeding from the SEC.
Clemson at NC State - Clemson isn't good, but needs a couple upsets to keep from being bad.
Mississippi State at Ole Miss - We play both twice, but since we lost at home to Ole Miss they need to win.

Thursday
#22 Dayton at UMass - Dayton continues to impress. Keep cheering for them.
UIC at Milwaukee - UIC is in last place, so Milwaukee can't lose.
SIU-Edwardsville at SE Mo State - SEMO has been disappointing, but maybe they can win.
#1 Kentucky at Mizzou - Since we play Mizzou twice, they're a good team to beat UK. But it's not gonna happen...
Chicago State at Utah Valley - CSU is in last place, so hopefully UVU can get a win.

If the Hogs take care of business against Tennessee, this is shaping up to be a big week. Our nonconference foes have a bunch of favorable matchups across the board. Beat Tennessee and have everything else fall into place and we could be around 15th in RPI come next Saturday.

Fayettechill14

Iona drilled Niagara 87-64 to stay in first place in the Metro Atlantic. They are 15-6 and 8-2 in conference play. RPI is an impressive 58th.

Keep an eye on Texas at Iowa State tomorrow night, along with Southern-Alabama State for the SWAC lead.

10thPlanet

Fayettechill14

Poor Delaware State. Lost the same way Mizzou did. They trailed NC Central (best team in the MEAC) 55-53 and were fouled on a three-point attempt with 0.4 seconds left. The guy hit the first to pull within 55-54...then missed the next two and they lost. Could have been a nice win for them.

Alabama State is also getting clobbered by Southern at halftime, 36-26. Winner takes first place in the SWAC standings.

Milwaukee got drilled by Valparaiso, as expected.

Could still end up being a good day, though, since #15 Iowa State leads #17 Texas at halftime. Would be a big win.

WarPig88

I've got a fantastic idea! Let's measure the value of a team's schedule based on the worst teams on their schedule and not the quality of their wins.

We'll act as if beating team 149 is a much better win than team 199.

We can call it RPI!

Fayettechill14

Final update of the night:

Iowa State gets a HUGE home win over Texas to moved to 15-4 (5-2 Big XII). Their RPI will go up and it will help ours too.

Alabama State and Southern are starting the second OT, tied at 61. Winner takes over first place in the SWAC. Would be a nice little boost for Alabama State to win.

Delaware State lost a heartbreaker to MEAC leader NC Central.

Northwestern State destroyed a bad Nicholls State team. NWST has a decent RPI.

TOMORROW: Hogs-Tennessee, Vandy-Georgia, Florida-Alabama, and Auburn-Texas A&M. Cheer for Hogs and Georgia, other two don't really matter (slight edge to Florida and Auburn, though).

Hogfaniam

RPI has Kansas number 1 followed by Kentucky.

What a joke of a system fates are decided by.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Beaverfever

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 26, 2015, 10:59:27 pm
RPI has Kansas number 1 followed by Kentucky.

What a joke of a system fates are decided by.
If only they could play at a neutral site then we'd know. 

Adam Stokes

Kansas has played much fiercer competition and have more Top 50 wins than Kentucky.  Obviously they have losses, but RPI is generally a good system and this will likely work it's way out by the end of the year.  Also the committee looks at RPI simply a measure to compare teams, they won't put Kansas at a higher seed than Kentucky in the NCAAT if things keep going the way it has, so no need to freak out.

jared72404

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 27, 2015, 12:05:01 am
Kansas has played much fiercer competition and have more Top 50 wins than Kentucky.  Obviously they have losses, but RPI is generally a good system and this will likely work it's way out by the end of the year.  Also the committee looks at RPI simply a measure to compare teams, they won't put Kansas at a higher seed than Kentucky in the NCAAT if things keep going the way it has, so no need to freak out.

Well said

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 26, 2015, 10:14:47 pm
Final update of the night:

Iowa State gets a HUGE home win over Texas to moved to 15-4 (5-2 Big XII). Their RPI will go up and it will help ours too.

Alabama State and Southern are starting the second OT, tied at 61. Winner takes over first place in the SWAC. Would be a nice little boost for Alabama State to win.

Delaware State lost a heartbreaker to MEAC leader NC Central.

Northwestern State destroyed a bad Nicholls State team. NWST has a decent RPI.

TOMORROW: Hogs-Tennessee, Vandy-Georgia, Florida-Alabama, and Auburn-Texas A&M. Cheer for Hogs and Georgia, other two don't really matter (slight edge to Florida and Auburn, though).

I would think Bama winning would help our current RPI and I don't want Florida coming home fresh off a big road win on sat.

latrops

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 27, 2015, 07:09:04 am
I would think Bama winning would help our current RPI and I don't want Florida coming home fresh off a big road win on sat.

Florida is so inconsistent and generally mediocre this year that it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them go in and beat Bama by double digits, only to follow it up by laying an egg against us at home.  Of course, the reverse is true, as well. 

Fayettechill14

SMU wins at South Florida, 63-52. Ponies now 17-4 (8-1 American).

Wake Forest loses a heartbreaker at Florida State in double overtime. Now 1-7 in ACC play.

Clemson off a hot start in NC State, up 21-7 early. Could be a nice win. They are 3-4 in ACC play.

LSU survives South Carolina, 64-58, in Baton Rouge. Now 16-4, 5-2 like us.

Mississippi State up 16-14 on Ole Miss in Oxford, still early.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 28, 2015, 08:36:49 pm
SMU wins at South Florida, 63-52. Ponies now 17-4 (8-1 American).

Wake Forest loses a heartbreaker at Florida State in double overtime. Now 1-7 in ACC play.

Clemson off a hot start in NC State, up 21-7 early. Could be a nice win. They are 3-4 in ACC play.

LSU survives South Carolina, 64-58, in Baton Rouge. Now 16-4, 5-2 like us.

Mississippi State up 16-14 on Ole Miss in Oxford, still early.
LSU games are gonna decide second place, aka Championship Lite- what every SEC team is playing for now.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Thepigdoctor

Tough day today, Dayton lost at Umass, semo lost at home to an equally terrible team, but Milwaukee got a win.

Wofford got a road win against a bad team, I believe they are Clemson's worst loss.

Thepigdoctor

January 29, 2015, 11:39:18 pm #18 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:52:28 pm by Thepigdoctor
Apologies, it was Winthrop that beat Clemson. Following their road win against NC State, they are at 79 in the rpi.

Losses with current rpi:

Iowa St - 14
Clemson - 79
Tennessee - 53
Ole Miss - 49

Clemson still appears to be the only team at the moment, which has the potential to be a bad loss. They still have 7 games against rpi top 81 (play Ga Tech twice who sits at 81). I can't remember the last time we were 20 games in with an rpi of 17 and possibly more importantly a SOS as high as 46. With the remaining games, our SOS should remain fairly close to top 50, especially with teams like Iowa St, Dayton, Iona, SMU, and Alabama St all likely to continue piling up wins and competing for conference titles.

The good news (and bad if you want to go that route) is that our remaining schedule offers 5 more chances to get quality wins, with 6 must win games (for the sake of rpi) against sub 100 teams. 

Fayettechill14

Still bitter that the Hogs lost, but the RPI hit from losing has been almost completely absorbed by a great day otherwise:

NON-SEC
SMU drilled Central Florida, 75-56. Mustangs are 18-4 (9-1 American) and will crack the RPI top 20 tomorrow.
Iowa State drilled TCU, 83-66. ISU is still a top-25 RPI team.
SEMO got a road win over Austin Peay, 70-64
Northwestern State also won on the road over SE Louisiana, 88-73
Clemson downed Boston College, 64-49. Tigers are 5-4 in the ACC.
Wake Forest edged Virginia Tech, 73-70
Milwaukee beat Detroit, 78-74
Iona survived St. Peter's in OT, 68-61
Delaware State was the lone slip-up, losing to South Carolina State

SEC
Tennessee beat Auburn, 71-63
Mississippi State beat LSU, 73-67. We play MSU twice.
South Carolina beat Georgia, 67-50. We play SC twice.
Ole Miss beat Mizzou, 67-47. We play both twice, but lost at home to Ole Miss.
Texas A&M beat Vanderbilt, 69-58. They are red-hot right now.
Kentucky drilled Alabama, 70-55

Good day, except for the Hog game. I'll get a preview for next week up here in a minute.

Fayettechill14

SUNDAY
Fordham at Dayton. Should be a breeze for Dayton, as Fordham is 0-7 in conference.

MONDAY
Iona at Fairfield. Iona is still holding on in first place in the MAAC. Fairfield is below .500 in conference.
Iowa State at Kansas. Big game, although ISU is certainly the underdog. If they can win in Lawrence, though...

TUESDAY
Georgia at Kentucky. Theoretically, cheer for Georgia, but don't count on your cheering amounting to much...
Mississippi State at Tennessee. Doesn't matter as we play both twice. I'm pulling for Tennessee, though.
Delaware State at NJIT. Worth noting that NJIT did beat Michigan earlier this year...
NC State at Wake Forest. Could be a big opportunity for Wake.
Florida at Vanderbilt. I'd cheer for ISIS if they were playing Florida, but the Gators would probably help our RPI more.
South Carolina at Arkansas. The biggest RPI game, of course.

WEDNESDAY
Texas A&M at Ole Miss. Cheer for Ole Miss, we play the Rebels twice.
Clemson at Florida State. Clemson has been hot of late. A win here would be big-time.
Missouri at Alabama. Cheer for Mizzou to spring the upset (we play them twice).

THURSDAY
Auburn at LSU. I'm mad at the SEC office, so I'm cheering for chaos. Go Plains Tigers!
North Texas at Western Kentucky. UNT has been disappointing and likely won't win this one.
SEMO at Murray State. SEMO has also been disappointing and likely won't win.
Milwaukee at Green Bay. See above...
Cincinnati at SMU. BIG game. Cinci is the only team to beat SMU since we did. Now SMU gets revenge in Dallas.
Utah Valley at Cal-Bakersfield. Wooooo

FRIDAY
Siena at Iona. Go Gaels!
Dayton at George Washington. Big game and big road opportunity for Dayton.

SATURDAY
Wake Forest at Georgia Tech. Big chance for a road win against GT, who is bad.
Tennessee at Georgia. Doesn't matter. We played Tennessee twice, but UGA is the quality road win.
Texas Tech at Iowa State. TTU upset ISU earlier, but not this time.
Mississippi State at Arkansas. MSU is playing better, but they don't match up well with the Hogs at all.
South Carolina at Vanderbilt. We play SC twice, so pull for them.
Bethune-Cookman at Delaware State
Alabama at LSU. Doesn't matter. If you like CHAOS, cheer for Alabama.
Texas A&M at Mizzou. For CHAOS, go for Mizzou. Also, we play them twice.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Alabama State. Gotta pull for the Hornets unless your attachment to the University of Arkansas system is too strong.
North Texas at Marshall
Eastern Illinois at SEMO
SMU at Tulsa. BIG game. Two best teams in the American. Frank Haith vs. Larry Brown in a battle of coaching juggernauts  ;D
Kentucky at Florida. Go Big Blue.
Utah Valley at Seattle

Potential for a big week, overall. If Dayton, SMU, and Iowa State can all win their road games, coupled with the Hogs going 2-0, this could be the best week yet.

Thepigdoctor

As of this evening, we still have 6 quality wins, two getting bonus credit @SMU, @UGA; compared to no bad losses.

@Clemson - 80 (good to see them getting further away from 100)
@Iowa St - 13
@Tenn - 53
Ole Miss - 47
@Florida - 57 (game deserves an asterisk)

Realtimerpi.com Hogs @23, SOS 44.

Iona will win their conference and @54 continue to hold as a quality win. They should finish top 50.

Thepigdoctor

Fayettechill14

Last night:

Alabama State 73, Prairie View A&M 71. ASU now 8-1 in the SWAC.
Kansas 89, Iowa State 76. Doesn't hurt ISU at all to lose on the road.
Iona vs. Fairfield suspended due to snow. (Fairfield is in Fairfield, CT which got hit with snow)

Fayettechill14

Tonight:

South Carolina at Arkansas. Must-win.

Georgia at Kentucky. UGA is helped just by playing the game.

Mississippi State at Tennessee. Cheer for Tennessee, as MSU's RPI is unsalvageable.

Florida at Vanderbilt. I'd cheer for ISIS against Florida.

Delaware State at NJIT

NC State at Wake Forest. Big opportunity for Wake.

Northwestern State at UCA. UCA is 0-21, so NSU is hurt by even playing the game.

Fayettechill14

Fayettechill14

Wake Forest leads NC State 51-30 at halftime. Impressive.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 03, 2015, 07:48:07 pm
Wake Forest leads NC State 51-30 at halftime. Impressive.

Nice, just hold that lead. Wake is a team (with what should be a strong remaining ACC schedule) that really has nowhere to go but up with a few upsets.

onebadrubi

Maybe wake Forrest winning tonight can help offset the Tenner loss.  Now we really need florida to pull out the vandy game

Fayettechill14

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 03, 2015, 09:45:23 pm
Maybe wake Forrest winning tonight can help offset the Tenner loss.  Now we really need florida to pull out the vandy game

By the end of the year, MSU beating Tennessee won't matter because we play both twice. Tennessee could have looked like a better win, but affect on RPI will be the same.

King

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 03, 2015, 09:45:23 pm

I wouldn't cheer for Florida if it was playing Ebola State.

We played not Vandy and Florida only once.  It's a wash RPI-wise, and pushes us above Florida in the SEC standings.

onebadrubi

Quote from: King on February 03, 2015, 10:13:55 pm
I wouldn't cheer for Florida if it was playing Ebola State.

We played not Vandy and Florida only once.  It's a wash RPI-wise, and pushes us above Florida in the SEC standings.

True

Fayettechill14

Ole Miss beats Texas A&M 69-59. Both teams now 6-3 in SEC.

Top half standings:

1. Kentucky 9-0
t-2. Arkansas 6-3
t-2. Texas A&M 6-3
t-2. Ole Miss 6-3
5. LSU 5-3
t-6. Georgia 5-4
t-6. Florida 5-4

Tied for second. If LSU wins it becomes a 4-way tie. If LSU loses, Ole Miss wins the 3-way tiebreaker, but there's a lot of basketball to be played.

Fayettechill14

Alabama hammers Mizzou 62-49. Doesn't mean much for us. We play Mizzou twice, but their RPI is beyond repair. Alabama is a top 100 win and we don't want to lose a top 100 win.

In bigger news, Clemson upsets Florida State 62-56 in Tallahassee. The Tigers are now 6-4 in the ACC. Not only is that no longer a bad loss, it's helping our SOS.

Swinesong1

February 04, 2015, 10:24:46 pm #36 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:45:26 pm by Swinesong1
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 04, 2015, 10:20:24 pm
Alabama hammers Mizzou 62-49. Doesn't mean much for us. We play Mizzou twice, but their RPI is beyond repair. Alabama is a top 100 win and we don't want to lose a top 100 win.

In bigger news, Clemson upsets Florida State 62-56 in Tallahassee. The Tigers are now 6-4 in the ACC. Not only is that no longer a bad loss, it's helping our SOS.
Lies you tell!  There is no way a terrible, awful Clemson team has a winning record in the powerful ACC!  Mods delete this!

Danny J

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 04, 2015, 10:20:24 pm

Yeah...really need Clemson and Tennessee to keep winning. We don't want Tenn to implode down the stretch and dip below 100 in the RPI. We certainly don't want to lose to Auburn or MSU on the road. I think USCe is right around 100 in the RPI? Not sure...I haven't looked recently.

Thepigdoctor

One item I like to look at in gauging our perceived success, because I think it gives a lot more insight into our opponents is, opponent SOS. Ours currently is 66, which measures our entire schedules, schedule. I don't know that the committee really looks at that or not, but to me that's a good barometer for the cumulative strength of our opponents.

We still have a game with Kentucky that just by playing is going to boost some of our peripheral numbers.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on February 05, 2015, 09:41:07 am
One item I like to look at in gauging our perceived success, because I think it gives a lot more insight into our opponents is, opponent SOS. Ours currently is 66, which measures our entire schedules, schedule. I don't know that the committee really looks at that or not, but to me that's a good barometer for the cumulative strength of our opponents.

We still have a game with Kentucky that just by playing is going to boost some of our peripheral numbers.
I'm not understanding all the handwringing/SOS/RPI/BPI watching.  Short of a monumental collapse, this team is an NCAA tourney lock.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on February 05, 2015, 09:41:07 am

We also have two against MSU, and one more against USCe and Mizzou, which will also affect it the other way.  We are at 51 now but are expecting to finish around 68.  That said, is still top 20% and I am more than happy with our scheduling this year.

Mick Hogger

Thanks to everyone that keeps this updated. It's one of the main things I look for in here. Good stuff.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Rawker

The SMU loss to Cincy was a bummer, but whatcha gonna do?  Hogs just have to keep finding ways to win....makes me sick to my stomach to think that they're 1 HUGE rim job (or just one point for the non-believers) away from having another 5 game win streak.  Does anyone else consider that given the media aftermath of the FL game and the pass give to MA by the SEC admin, it might not even count as a road loss in the minds of the committee?

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Rawker on February 05, 2015, 11:52:30 pm
The SMU loss to Cincy was a bummer, but whatcha gonna do?  Hogs just have to keep finding ways to win....makes me sick to my stomach to think that they're 1 HUGE rim job (or just one point for the non-believers) away from having another 5 game win streak.  Does anyone else consider that given the media aftermath of the FL game and the pass give to MA by the SEC admin, it might not even count as a road loss in the minds of the committee?

They'll see it for what it is, a 1 point road loss at a tough venue. Won't hurt us, but certainly would have helped us. The road team is given anywhere from a 3-5 point advantage, so anytime you lose like we did (and with florida fighting down the stretch), it's basically a wash.

As to the "what's with this thread" comment, some of us just follow more closely and like watching this stuff. I don't think Chill or I have any doubts the Hogs are locked in at this point. We are playing for seeding right now, which directly correlates to your rpi, SOS, and opponents.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Adam Stokes on February 05, 2015, 11:55:29 am
We also have two against MSU, and one more against USCe and Mizzou, which will also affect it the other way.  We are at 51 now but are expecting to finish around 68.  That said, is still top 20% and I am more than happy with our scheduling this year.

You're right in pointing out those games, but with UK, A&M, LSU, and Ole Miss still, we won't fall to far, if at all, in SOS. The quality of our nonconf schedule will also keep us propped up. I'd be surprised if we finish anywhere outside of 45-55.

davril98

I for one enjoy this info and look forward to the updates every day. Keep it up!

Cresthog

Hopefully Haith screws the pooch and SMU wins both of those and the AAC.

Thepigdoctor

As of today, SC has moved into a top 100 win (based on ESPN rpi), with Vandy a win away. Wake has climbed considerably in ACC play and could threaten to become a decent win after all.

Looks like Clemson, Tenn, and Florida are all going to settle in the 51-100 range, where they will not penalize us as losses; especially considering the were all games we were in late on the road.

We must continue to handle business against sub 100 teams, but at this point in the season, we are firmly in control of keeping bad losses off the resume.  Would be the first time in many years we could say that. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

gmarv

Danny J

SMU lost last night and Dayton lost again. We really really need SMU and UGA to keep doing well.