Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS Sportswriter crystal ball of SEC coaching searches

Started by Hogwild, November 06, 2017, 11:51:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadway Rob

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 07, 2017, 04:52:31 am
You're obviously the guru of all things football due to your time in Memphis. Makes perfect sense. Bestow some of your knowledge on us instead of just teasing us by simply saying I do not know what I am talking about. We'll see where Norvell goes. I bet it is not Arkansas.

Weren't you pointing out how your view on the situation was validated by YOUR time in Memphis? 
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

root_hawg

If Norvell would chose Ark over Tennessee or Florida, then he isn't very smart

hotdog hog

Quote from: tusked on November 06, 2017, 11:58:53 am
Some of these writers don't know that Norvell has Arkansas contacts and a real history in the state.  They just put names with schools.  They think since Memphis is in TN then the next progression is UT.
I hope you are right. But I keep thinking about all the previous coaches with Arkansas ties that we thought we had an inside track on that said no thanks. Charlie Strong, Tommy Tuberville and been a few more. I think Vols have a better recruiting base and our fans are just as passionate "crazy" as there's are. But I hope you are right! I like Norvill for sure.

hawgsalot

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 12:37:02 pm
Norvell is not coming to Arkansas given his likely options. He'd be beyond stupid to do so. If he comes to Arkansas, we'll know that he is not very intelligent.

Memphis is better than the Arkansas program and has been for at least 5 years. Why? Better recruiting grounds. Memphis high school football is 5x better than any HS football in entire state of Arkansas. Those kids sign with Memphis and they are rarely too celebrated...most ranked 2 and 3 stars, like most Arkansas recruits. Difference is, a 3 star in Memphis is a 4 to 5 in state of Arkansas. The competition in Memphis HS football is far greater in general than anywhere in Arkansas. Norvell and Fuente before him had this working for them. If Norvell comes to Arkansas, expect more Bielema-like results unless Norvell is able to get Memphis area players to come to Arkansas.

Oh good grief no person in their right mind would ever say Memphis is a better program than Arkansas. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: root_hawg on November 07, 2017, 06:57:49 am

Florida has many names ahead of Norvell and you will start on the hot seat at UT if your last name isnt Gruden

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 06, 2017, 04:55:35 pm
Seems legit.  I'll have a letter writing contest, but in mine, I'll have Hogville posters send me their recommendations for who to hire, and why.  We'll see once and for all if Hogville really has any "experts."   ;) ;D

I like it!  See your already ahead of the game and Long hasn't even cleaned his desk out.  Man what a cushy million dollar job!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 07, 2017, 10:22:34 am
I like it!  See your already ahead of the game and Long hasn't even cleaned his desk out.  Man what a cushy million dollar job!

Yeah, and who would have thought someone from Hogville could just appoint me like that?  Man, they're going to be surprised when I show up.   ;D
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogblitz

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 07, 2017, 05:45:14 am
While, Memphis' population is just over 650,000, the Memphis Metropolitan area, from which UofM draws a number of players, is more than twice that at approx. 1.3 million.
Memphis is quite the fertile recruiting area if you are talking about basketball!

Piggfoot

Brown and Troy play Coastal Carolina Saturday
They beat LSU and I suspect LSU was not up for this game also LSu turned the ball over 3-4 times. I like Brown.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2653/troy-trojanst

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: GuvHog on November 06, 2017, 12:26:31 pm
I'm not sure on Brown. The next week after beating LSU, his team looked totally unprepared and laid an egg against a lesser team.

In other words, Arkansas fans could relate to him.

GuvHog

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on November 08, 2017, 10:18:54 am
In other words, Arkansas fans could relate to him.

No, I just have a problem with a head coach who can guide his team to a win over LSU one week  then fail to get them prepared for a lesser conference opponent the next week and they lay a giant Egg. It's called "Inconsistency".
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on November 08, 2017, 10:40:06 am
No, I just have a problem with a head coach who can guide his team to a win over LSU one week  then fail to get them prepared for a lesser conference opponent the next week and they lay a giant Egg. It's called "Inconsistency".

No one more inconsistent this year than Bobby Petrino, but you'd kiss his as^ in a heartbeat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 10:46:04 am
No one more inconsistent this year than Bobby Petrino, but you'd kiss his as^ in a heartbeat.

Like I stated, What he accomplished here is far more important than what he's doing at Louisville. The fans who would take Bobby back know what he can accomplish at Arkansas because he's already accomplished it. That carries a lot of weight.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on November 08, 2017, 10:51:05 am
Like I stated, What he accomplished here is far more important than what he's doing at Louisville. The fans who would take Bobby back know what he can accomplish at Arkansas because he's already accomplished it. That carries a lot of weight.

Yep, he can finished tied for 2nd in the secw.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 10:52:44 am
Yep, he can finished tied for 2nd in the secw.

The Hogs didn't tie for second in the west in 2010, they finished ahead of both Alabama and LSU in the SEC West standings but behind a Cam Newton Led Auburn team that won the national title. The Hogs finished ranked #12 nationally that year and finished #5 nationally the next year.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on November 08, 2017, 10:56:22 am
The Hogs didn't tie for second in the west in 2010, they finished ahead of both Alabama and LSU in the SEC West standings but behind a Cam Newton Led Auburn team that won the national title.

Arkansas finished tied for 2nd with LSU, both had 6-2 sec records. Had a tie breaker been needed, Arkansas would have been given the 2nd place spot due to their head to head win over lsu.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 10:58:48 am
Arkansas finished tied for 2nd with LSU, both had 6-2 sec records. Had a tie breaker been needed, Arkansas would have been given the 2nd place spot due to their head to head win over lsu.

They were given second place. In the SEC West standings, they were listed above both LSU and Alabama

Tusks

So the hogs have gone from finishing #5 in the county, even though it wasn't deserving, to trying to not finish #14 in a 14 team league. 

yeah things are fine.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 01:46:24 pm
If Memphis was 8-1, but doing it 21-17 every week running the I no one would be on him for the job.
I would.  I love the "I" formation! 

Its my opinion that if the money is comparable, the Hog job will be the least desirable of all the SEC openings that we expect to be available.  Even OM looks better on paper because of being closer to the better recruits.  Someone like Norvell or Malzahn who might like the Arkansas position better due to possible ties would likely put us ahead of other better programs looking for a coach.

I know and understand we will be forced to match or better the SEC compensation package for a new HC.  Its how we set things up that matters.  I would love to see something like this.  2 million base and up to and including 6 wins, first year.  7th win, +350K, 8th win, +500K more, 9th win, an additional million.  So 9 wins including the bowl and our HC would receive 3.85 million and if he reached that level, his second year salary would jump to 3.5 million plus an additional 250K for each additinal win above 7.  If he won the SECW, an additional 2 million, if he won the SECC, an additional 5 million.  Winning a decent bowl, + 1 million and if by chance, whew, he won the NC, and additional 10 million and a new salary of 6 million annually.

That kind of money would arttact 2 things, a highly motivated HC and and one who might try  cheating like crazy to reach the top.  One we love and one we hate.

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 08, 2017, 11:44:50 am
I would.  I love the "I" formation! 

Ok, it'd be you, me and maybe 1 other poster here then.

RyeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 12:04:00 pm
Actually 6: AR, OM, A&M, TN, FLA, + someone leaving another school for another job.

I know this is from 2 days ago, but I saw this and it just bugged me. He said "5 SECW programs might be looking for new coaches with AR, OM, A&M, and AUB firing coaches and MSU losing Mullen to Florida.

hogsanity

Quote from: RyeHogFan on November 08, 2017, 12:41:36 pm
I know this is from 2 days ago, but I saw this and it just bugged me. He said "5 SECW programs might be looking for new coaches with AR, OM, A&M, and AUB firing coaches and MSU losing Mullen to Florida.

and somewhere in here I said my bad on that.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 12:04:00 pm
Actually 6: AR, OM, A&M, TN, FLA, + someone leaving another school for another job. 

TN and FL aren't in the West, but otherwise I agree, it's very possible the SEC has 6 HC changes this year

Dwight_K_Shrute

People act like TN is the end all be all. Their last 4 hires were promoting Phil from assistant to HC a woefully inexperienced young and immature LK that had no college HC experience, Derek Dooley, and G5 HC Butch Jones.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Paul

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 08, 2017, 02:49:45 pm
People act like TN is the end all be all. Their last 4 hires were promoting Phil from assistant to HC a woefully inexperienced young and immature LK that had no college HC experience, Derek Dooley, and G5 HC Butch Jones.
Their new coach next year with be the 5th in the last 10 yrs.  They make us look not as bad

hogsanity

Quote from: Paul on November 08, 2017, 03:45:30 pm
  Their new coach next year with be the 5th in the last 10 yrs.  They make us look not as bad

If the Hogs get a new coach it will be our 5th in 10 yrs too.

Paul

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 07, 2017, 04:52:31 am
You're obviously the guru of all things football due to your time in Memphis. Makes perfect sense. Bestow some of your knowledge on us instead of just teasing us by simply saying I do not know what I am talking about. We'll see where Norvell goes. I bet it is not Arkansas.
Compared to you I may be.  I'm glad you've finally seen the light of something. As for any info I have,  reread the threads in this forum or review my posts. I'll take that bet.  Let's see...I'm taking Norvell versus the field, right?  Let's see what the Vegas odds are & we'll bet whatever you want.   

The Hawg Marshal

Bret -5 yrs
John L. 1 yr
Bobby 4-yrs.
According to my math that is 10 years 3 coaches. What am I missing?

RyeHogFan

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 08, 2017, 04:11:21 pm
Bret -5 yrs
John L. 1 yr
Bobby 4-yrs.

Cuz math is hard!

hog.goblin

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 08, 2017, 04:11:21 pm
Bret -5 yrs
John L. 1 yr
Bobby 4-yrs.

Nutt and the new coach make 5...though technically Nutt will be outside the 10-year window if we wait a few days after Thanksgiving to fire Brett or hire the new guy

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 08, 2017, 05:41:00 pm
Nutt and the new coach make 5...though technically Nutt will be outside the 10-year window if we wait a few days after Thanksgiving to fire Brett or hire the new guy
I guess it can be looked at that way if someone is try to spin the narrative that we change coaches a lot. We don't .

hog.goblin

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 08, 2017, 09:33:08 pm
I guess it can be looked at that way if someone is try to spin the narrative that we change coaches a lot. We don't .

Well the math don't lie, it will be 5 in 10 years.  But I agree, it's a number that doesn't accurately reflect our coaching situation

ChicoHog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 08, 2017, 10:56:22 am
The Hogs didn't tie for second in the west in 2010, they finished ahead of both Alabama and LSU in the SEC West standings but behind a Cam Newton Led Auburn team that won the national title. The Hogs finished ranked #12 nationally that year and finished #5 nationally the next year.
I think the 2010 team was better but because they lost their last game (Sugar Bowl against Ohio St) while 2011 team won last game (Cotton Bowl against an inferior KState team which maybe was top 15 quality at best) the #5 ranking was probably too high and the #12 in 2010 was definitely too low.

GuvHog

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 08, 2017, 10:39:27 pm
I think the 2010 team was better but because they lost their last game (Sugar Bowl against Ohio St) while 2011 team won last game (Cotton Bowl against an inferior KState team which maybe was top 15 quality at best) the #5 ranking was probably too high and the #12 in 2010 was definitely too low.

Why do you consider the 2011 team's #5 ranking too high when the only teams they lost to that year finished #1 and #2 in the nation??

slappy

We were in the Sugar Bowl against Ohio St.
Seems so long ago...

Paul

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 08, 2017, 10:32:17 pm
Well the math don't lie, it will be 5 in 10 years.  But I agree, it's a number that doesn't accurately reflect our coaching situation
I count it as 4 in 11 years(I admit I took off my shoes)...which is too many in my book anyhow

nwahogfan1

Quote from: root_hawg on November 07, 2017, 06:57:49 am

Maybe to you it might seem dumb but what if Coach Norvell really wants to turn our program around and thinks goals here are a whole lot more reachable than goals at Florida or Tn.   He went to college at UCA so he some roots here plus I think he played his HS ball around the DFW area.  So maybe the Arkansas job is a big deal for him.

ipigsooie

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 09, 2017, 10:20:36 am
Maybe to you it might seem dumb but what if Coach Norvell really wants to turn our program around and thinks goals here are a whole lot more reachable than goals at Florida or Tn.   He went to college at UCA so he some roots here plus I think he played his HS ball around the DFW area.  So maybe the Arkansas job is a big deal for him.

Also you have to think that maybe those schools have different targets. I dont even think he is in the top 3 for either school. Florida is chasing Frost and it looks like Vegas is thinking Tennessee will get Mullen.

ChicoHog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 09, 2017, 09:09:43 am
Why do you consider the 2011 team's #5 ranking too high when the only teams they lost to that year finished #1 and #2 in the nation??
Because we didn't beat a real strong team in the bowl game, we got killed by Bama and LSU (previous year almost beat Bama and beat LSU) and didn't beat any real good teams except LSU if I remember correctly.  Face it, if we played a stronger bowl team and lost we would have finished outside the top 10 again.  Rankings are very subjective as we all know.  You're only as good as your last game it seems.

GuvHog

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 09, 2017, 11:37:16 am
Because we didn't beat a real strong team in the bowl game, we got killed by Bama and LSU (previous year almost beat Bama and beat LSU) and didn't beat any real good teams except LSU if I remember correctly.  Face it, if we played a stronger bowl team and lost we would have finished outside the top 10 again.  Rankings are very subjective as we all know.  You're only as good as your last game it seems.

Kansas State was ranked in the top 10 when the Hogs played them in the Cotton Bowl. It was the biggest non-Big 6 Bowl match up that year.

clutch

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 06, 2017, 01:44:40 pm
It tickles me the support Norvell has on this site when his only contact is his wife and he played at UCA. Which by the way these same fans ridicule UCA and abhor the Idea of playing them.

Norvell is very well liked by the high school coaches in Arkansas. He is great on the clinic circuit. He spends a lot of time talking to you and answering any question you have for him. So there's no doubt in my mind that Arkansas coaches would have no problem steering their best players towards him if he was interested. He's also built up a lot of contacts in the Memphis area, which is loaded with talent, and in Oklahoma and Texas and Louisiana areas. He has 7 kids from Louisiana on his team, he recruited every single one of them.

hogsanity

Quote from: clutch on November 09, 2017, 01:17:47 pm
So there's no doubt in my mind that Arkansas coaches would have no problem steering their best players towards him if he was interested.

If only that would help the situation. Would the Texas or La, or MIss or Bama or Ga coaches steer their best players towards him? If they would that definitely would help.

clutch

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 01:53:29 pm
If only that would help the situation. Would the Texas or La, or MIss or Bama or Ga coaches steer their best players towards him? If they would that definitely would help.

He's recruited Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Tennessee and Alabama and Georgia all extremely well. He has 7 he recruited from Louisiana, 6 from Mississippi, 7 from Georgia, 7 from Texas, 5 from Alabama, 3 from Oklahoma and a whole bunch from Tennessee.

I didn't count transfers towards those numbers. I just went through and looked at everyone that was either a true or redshirt freshman or a true sophmore.

ChicoHog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 09, 2017, 11:41:14 am
Kansas State was ranked in the top 10 when the Hogs played them in the Cotton Bowl. It was the biggest non-Big 6 Bowl match up that year.
But they weren't that good.  We all saw them play not only against us but other games.  Good dual threat QB but not a dynamic team.  Very much a bunch of over achievers.  Definitely over ranked in the top ten.  Not close to the level of Ohio St the previous year. 

247Hog

Am i the only person that thinks all the opening is actually good for us?

I'd hate to hire an unproven coach to come into the SEC and face all experience HC with years of recruiting in roads to continue recruits from. At least if we all have new HC but Bama, it's more of a let the best man win atmosphere.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

jackflash

I think are offense will be good next year no matter who coach. for us  to be good defense where we need to improve so which coach can  do that