Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

That's why you dont use your QB as a running back

Started by hogsanity, November 23, 2017, 08:42:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

November 23, 2017, 08:42:30 pm Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:59:50 pm by hogsanity
They get beat up and broken like Nick Fitzgerald did tonight. Gruesome leg break.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

woodrow hog call

That's the nastiest thing I ve seen in a long time, maybe worst ever.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Arkansas Fan

Yeah, I only want my QB to run only if he has to, not because the QB run game is a regular part of the offense.

factchecker

Combine a running QB with the fear of getting a targeting penalty and you get this:

I said it last week when they tried to call targeting on us - the best bet is to go low and take out the QBs knee or leg.  A lower leg injury is better than a concussion.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hogarusa

Football is a violent game. Fitzgerald has been a stud. Injuries happen. Dual threat QBs are great weapons on offense.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

East Clintwood

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 23, 2017, 09:17:42 pm
Football is a violent game. Fitzgerald has been a stud. Injuries happen. Dual threat QBs are great weapons on offense.

Yup, this just proves you need 2 or 3 of them.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2017, 08:42:30 pm
They get beat up and broken like Nick Fitzgerald did tonight. Gruesome leg break.

You do when they rush for 1000 yards two years in a row. You don't when you pay them 8 figures a year.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

311Hog

man wth this is like the 2nd time in a month seeing someone's foot like that.  that looks like Gordon Heywards ankle.

hogsanity

If your qb is that valuable why would you intentionally get them hit 20+ times a game? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2017, 09:32:29 pm
If your qb is that valuable why would you intentionally get them hit 20+ times a game?

Matt Jones says hi.

jgphillips3

East Clintwood

Ask Bert why he put Austin in that situation.

Rayzback

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 23, 2017, 09:40:57 pm
Of course, he rarely got hit.  He just outran everyone.

How the hell he got away sometimes... made a lot of people look silly.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

hogsanity

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 23, 2017, 09:43:01 pm

Ask Bert why he put Austin in that situation.

AA running with the ball 20+ times a game was part of the normal offense?

East Clintwood

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2017, 09:46:06 pm
AA running with the ball 20+ times a game was part of the normal offense?

No, not running but he was still getting hit 20+ times a game.

Großer Kriegschwein

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

clutch

Quote from: sowmonella on November 23, 2017, 10:08:08 pm
This might make Mullins consider his options.

I'm pretty sure Fitzgerald WAS going to enter the draft, so he was probably planning on being without him next year anyways. Draft's out of the equation now though I'd bet. Heck, he may never be able to play again. You can never tell how someone is going to recover from those things.

1highhog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 23, 2017, 09:07:18 pm
That's the nastiest thing I ve seen in a long time, maybe worst ever.

No, not worst ever, rewatch Joe Theismann get his leg broke and then get back to me.

ballz2thewall

like blake sims, cam newton, tim tebow, matt jones, johnny football.

The rest of the frog.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 23, 2017, 10:18:28 pm

I assume you're talking about Johnny Eight-ball

hamsam

It was a dislocation you pansies... he will be rolling strong in six weeks!!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: 1highhog on November 23, 2017, 10:14:37 pm
No, not worst ever, rewatch Joe Theismann get his leg broke and then get back to me.
Can't remember the running back from South Carolina's name, but seeing his leg flop over like a ragdoll on top of the pile made me queasy when i first saw it. That's #1 in my book.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hamsam on November 23, 2017, 10:56:54 pm
It was a dislocation you pansies... he will be rolling strong in six weeks!!

I was thinking that might be the case. Back in the training room they popped it back in and took x-rays or an MRI to make sure everything was seated where it should be.

BigE_23

Dumb. Joe Theisman wasn't running the read option when LT snapped his leg in half. Injuries happen. It's part of the game.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on November 23, 2017, 10:57:27 pm
Can't remember the running back from South Carolina's name, but seeing his leg flop over like a ragdoll on top of the pile made me queasy when i first saw it. That's #1 in my book.

I thought of the Georgia RB from a couple seasons ago. I think it was Chubb. I saw that one live too and almost fainted.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

BigE_23

Marcus Lattimore. Sad too, because he was a great player and it ended his career.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 23, 2017, 10:18:28 pm

They were all running QBs, but not the only running game for their teams.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 23, 2017, 11:10:20 pm
They were all running QBs, but not the only running game for their teams.

Agreed. Auburn wouldn't be nearly as good without Kerryon Johnson this year.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

LRRandy

lattimore I think.
This is fun, isn't it.

Inhogswetrust

One of the best questions in a long time...........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 23, 2017, 09:48:04 pm
No, not running but he was still getting hit 20+ times a game.

Not intentionally by our coaches wanting him to be.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

(notOM)Rebel123

Maybe that's what makes him so valuable.....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

jkstock04

This could happen to anyone...especially anyone running the ball. Injuries are going to happen in football. Until they turn it into non contact flag football this is inevitable.

Hogsanity, I thought you liked or preferred triple option style football? Lots of qb ball carrying there. You obviously despise hurry up passing teams with primarily passing (safer) qbs. What exactly type of offense should teams run in your opinion?

I have a sneaky suspicion you just generally dislike football all together due to rah rah stuff and it being a dangerous sport
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 24, 2017, 06:53:12 am
This could happen to anyone...especially anyone running the ball. Injuries are going to happen in football. Until they turn it into non contact flag football this is inevitable.

Hogsanity, I thought you liked or preferred triple option style football? Lots of qb ball carrying there. You obviously despise hurry up passing teams with primarily passing (safer) qbs. What exactly type of offense should teams run in your opinion?

I have a sneaky suspicion you just generally dislike football all together due to rah rah stuff and it being a dangerous sport

I saw it happen to my son in a non-contact flag game.  Went up for a pass and landed awkwardly.  Looked very similar to last night with a dislocated ankle, broken lower tibia and three small broken bones in the top of the foot.  His buddies still post pictures on FB every year on the anniversary.

jkstock04

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 24, 2017, 07:01:05 am
I saw it happen to my son in a non-contact flag game.  Went up for a pass and landed awkwardly.  Looked very similar to last night with a dislocated ankle, broken lower tibia and three small broken bones in the top of the foot.  His buddies still post pictures on FB every year on the anniversary.

Yikes! That's a fair point...non contact injuries are often some of the worst. Who was our skill guy earlier in the year that took off from his split and didn't make it one step and his achillies tendon snapped in half? I would wager after an injury like that one will never be the same again.

Point still remains though...injuries in football or probably sports in general are going to happen. Leg injuries especially.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

a0ashle

Not counting the Louisville basketball player a few years back, Tyrone Prothro is the one I remember. Caught the pass, and you could read his name and the bottom of his cleats at the same time. Occam's Razor did not apply.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 24, 2017, 07:08:44 am
Yikes! That's a fair point...non contact injuries are often some of the worst. Who was our skill guy earlier in the year that took off from his split and didn't make it one step and his achillies tendon snapped in half? I would wager after an injury like that one will never be the same again.

Point still remains though...injuries in football or probably sports in general are going to happen. Leg injuries especially.

Jared Cornelius.

EastexHawg

Because that is what makes him so valuable.  Fitzgerald is  actually mediocre, certainly nothing special, as a passer.  When you combine his serviceable passing with his dynamic running, however, he becomes a very dangerous weapon. 

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: hamsam on November 23, 2017, 10:56:54 pm
It was a dislocation...

I wondered the same thing.  There was never an ambulance brought into play and no trip to ER.  Standing on the sideline on crutches was a good sign.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Captain Morgan

So that eliminates Ken Niumatalolo as a HC candidate?

jackflash

hate it for the QB but Mullens runs his QB the way they win surprise it hasn't happen before now

Inhogswetrust

farmhawg

K , houston.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

buldozer

So you can win

jm

Running QB's often have short careers just like running backs. College coaches do not care how many hits they take because they only use a player for 4 years at most.

hogsanity

Ok. If you are going to use you qb as a battering ram you better have 2 or 3 really good backups.

caveman

With no proven QB coming up for next season, unless one of the benchwarmers shines, it will be another long season, Bret or no Bret