Started by The_Iceman, April 21, 2015, 11:40:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Jordan Danberry, 5'7" PG (5-star)
Malica Monk, 5'6" PG (4-star)
Briunna Freeman, 5'9" Guard
Keiryn Swenson, 6'1" Forward
Bailey Zimmerman, 6'1" Forward
Alecia Cooley, 6'3" Post (JUCO All-American)
Tatiyana Smith, 6'3" Post (JUCO)

Looks like numbers won't be an issue next season. Looks like Jimmy is building after a great first year at Arkansas.

http://arkansasrazorbacks.com/news/dykes-adds-juco-player-to-15-16-roster-04-21-2015

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 21, 2015, 11:40:23 am

Looks like numbers won't be an issue next season. Looks like Jimmy is building after a great first year at Arkansas.

http://arkansasrazorbacks.com/news/dykes-adds-juco-player-to-15-16-roster-04-21-2015

I like that he has mixed in some Jr College players.  This should help to balance the classes a little.   

HognitiveDissonance

Size matters. It's good to see some big girls in there. That's nearly always been the Achilles heel of Ark women's basketball, they've never had the size to compete. So while it's good to see some talented guards/forwards in there, Ark has usually had those and it all hinges on getting big enough.

GuvHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 21, 2015, 12:24:05 pm
Size matters. It's good to see some big girls in there. That's nearly always been the Achilles heel of Ark women's basketball, they've never had the size to compete. So while it's good to see some talented guards/forwards in there, Ark has usually had those and it all hinges on getting big enough.

Seems like I remember a mens assistant coach at Arkansas some years back by the name of Brown telling the then Girls basketball head coach that he needed to get some "BIG sisters". Jimmy has definitely gotten some.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Tusks

Over/under until jump ball says JD should be coaching the men?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

WarPig88

Quote from: tusked on April 21, 2015, 01:32:20 pm
Over/under until jump ball says JD should be coaching the men?

Too late for that. Already been done.

Funny thing is, a class like that for the men's team would get nothing but blasted because it only had two hs kids that were rated highly.

HognitiveDissonance

I've never heard anybody say that. What I do recall is the LadyBacks beating Georgia/LSU and having a nice stretch and getting appropriate attention. Which immediately led to the inevitable comparisons of the men's and women's teams. The men were going through a similar good streak and getting appropriate attention of their own.

It's like with some people you can't say anything positive about the Lady Back and especially Jimmy Dykes because that means you're automatically slighting the men's team and/or Mike Anderson.

Just brain dead.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 21, 2015, 01:35:15 pm

Funny thing is, a class like that for the men's team would get nothing but blasted because it only had two hs kids that were rated highly.
I don't know this class very well as far as rankings. I know Danberry is well thought of, and probably Monk. But I doubt it would be ranked extremely high. I doubt that it's a super-duper class, like Top 10. Maybe a top 20 class, I'm guessing.
I don't follow the women's team that much. I just know to be an upper-echelon SEC team they've got to get bigger, and that's been the story for 20 years now.
And except for a small stretch in the 90s(with Corliss, Darnell, Wilson, Stewart, etc) you can pretty much say the same about the men. Gotta get bigger. Size matters. Think it's a coincidence that this year's team did what it did because it had one of the SEC's top big men? Think again. Obviously you need everything, but the foundation should always be in the paint.

yraciv

CallThemHawgs!

Sorry, but WBB and MBB are two totally different animals when it comes to recruiting.

Maybe 1/10th the time and effort is put into monitoring it.

Comparing the star rankings of the two teams is absurd.

WarPig88

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 21, 2015, 01:44:10 pm
I've never heard anybody say that. What I do recall is the LadyBacks beating Georgia/LSU and having a nice stretch and getting appropriate attention. Which immediately led to the inevitable comparisons of the men's and women's teams. The men were going through a similar good streak and getting appropriate attention of their own.

It's like with some people you can't say anything positive about the Lady Back and especially Jimmy Dykes because that means you're automatically slighting the men's team and/or Mike Anderson.

Just brain dead.

I have seen it in Jumpball and heard it on the radio both. However, no one takes it serious nor should they.

As far as the recruiting goes, recruiting is recruiting regardless of sport. I think Dykes has done a great job recruiting. I trust him to know his needs and bring in players that will fit his style regardless of their national ranking.

However, when it comes to men, there are way too many armchair ad's around here who act like MA can't or doesn't do the same.

That's all. Some of you just look for the worst in everything and love to complain.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 21, 2015, 11:40:23 am

With only maybe 4 coming back they still have 4 open Roster spots so we might expect them to sign one or two more if the right ones are available.

Peter Porker

Kinda like blasting Bielema after year 2, but defending Anderson after year 3.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Why only 4 players coming back?  They should have 6 returning.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on April 22, 2015, 09:39:51 am
Why only 4 players coming back?  They should have 6 returning.

The unofficial returning player for 2015-2016:
Joey Bailey, 6'1" F
McKinley Bostad, 5'9" G
Kelsey Brooks, 5'9" G
Jessica Jackson, 6'3" F
Katie Powell, 6'4" F (transfer rumor)
Khadijah West, 6'2" F
Melissa Wolff, 6'0" F

Are any of those 7 for sure not returning?

wbbfan32

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2015, 09:52:11 am
The unofficial returning player for 2015-2016:
Joey Bailey, 6'1" F
McKinley Bostad, 5'9" G
Kelsey Brooks, 5'9" G
Jessica Jackson, 6'3" F
Katie Powell, 6'4" F (transfer rumor)
Khadijah West, 6'2" F
Melissa Wolff, 6'0" F

Are any of those 7 for sure not returning?

It has been mentioned on the women's forum that the two freshmen (Bostad and Powell) will not be returning. Bailey is still up in the air because of graduation. I have heard both of these rumors as well, and believe them to be true.

wbbfan32

Angelica DePaulo his signed with Arkansas! 1st team Junior College All-American. And she is 6-3"!!!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: wbbfan32 on April 22, 2015, 11:15:41 pm
Angelica DePaulo his signed with Arkansas! 1st team Junior College All-American. And she is 6-3"!!!

Sorry bud, but she is 6-1 stretched.  another good pickup none the less.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

PonderinHog

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 22, 2015, 11:52:34 pm
Sorry bud, but she is 6-1 stretched.  another good pickup none the less.
She's 6-3 in heels!   >:(

:razorback:

red_beard_82

Quote from: GuvHog on April 21, 2015, 12:38:02 pm
Seems like I remember a mens assistant coach at Arkansas some years back by the name of Brown telling the then Girls basketball head coach that he needed to get some "BIG sisters". Jimmy has definitely gotten some.

I believe it actually Grandmama telling the coach that she need to go and get some grown women as she ran down the court?

Hogg_Phan

Why would Bostad leave?  She had a lot of playing time and it seemed Coach liked her.
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

The_Iceman

Quote from: wbbfan32 on April 22, 2015, 11:15:41 pm

Another great pickup! Our interior is getting some depth:

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hogg_Phan on April 23, 2015, 08:41:15 am
Why would Bostad leave?  She had a lot of playing time and it seemed Coach liked her.

Who said Bostad was leaving?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hogg_Phan

Quote from: wbbfan32 on April 22, 2015, 09:57:21 am
It has been mentioned on the women's forum that the two freshmen (Bostad and Powell) will not be returning. Bailey is still up in the air because of graduation. I have heard both of these rumors as well, and believe them to be true.
Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 23, 2015, 09:32:39 am
Who said Bostad was leaving?
Saw it posted by WBBFAN32.
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hogg_Phan

I agree. Plus she has to be a fan favorite. She's my favorite player. She would bring back experience which will be good for all of these new incoming players.