Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last minute Basketball recruiting

Started by hawgfan4life, April 18, 2015, 04:58:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

Fans complaining about this years recruiting seem to ignore we signed 2 highly rated players.

Fans saying we should have over signed are asking the coaching staff to go back on their word and commitment to another player already on campus.  Schools may do that but it does not make it right.  If AR is going to not renew a scholarship, it should never be because they think they might have found someone better.

Fans saying AR coaches were caught off guard and unprepared sure are assuming a lot.  AR has signed several last minute recruits seemingly out of nowhere.   Brandon Dean was late if I remember but I know Patrick Beverly was last minute.  Everyone was confused about Thurman when he was signed.  Qualls was relatively unheralded.  Etc.......  Coaches may land more recruits and they may not.  However, they will not have gone into this week clueless and unprepared.

Lastly, fans are acting like we should have landed a ton of big time players.  AR has been irrelevant as long as most players have a memory until this year, AR has lacked a practice facility which indicates lack of commitment to recruits, and it takes time to build a program that is nationally competitive consistently.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Bobby Petrino was one that over recruited and even pulled offers.

He's not longer allowed at a HS in South Carolina.

I guess those fans don't care if that happens to Mike Anderson too.

Danny J

April 18, 2015, 08:13:51 pm #2 Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:45:33 pm by Danny J
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 18, 2015, 05:46:09 pm
Bobby Petrino was one that over recruited and even pulled offers.

He's not longer allowed at a HS in South Carolina.

I guess those fans don't care if that happens to Mike Anderson too.
HS coaches have very little do to with basketball recruiting and that started towards the end of Nolans tenure. That is why I believe he struggled so much in recruiting later on. AAU coaches and handlers control more of the recruiting than do HS coaches anymore.

Danny J

Quote from: hawgfan4life on April 18, 2015, 04:58:43 pm
Fans complaining about this years recruiting seem to ignore we signed 2 highly rated players.

Fans saying we should have over signed are asking the coaching staff to go back on their word and commitment to another player already on campus.  Schools may do that but it does not make it right.  If AR is going to not renew a scholarship, it should never be because they think they might have found someone better.

Fans saying AR coaches were caught off guard and unprepared sure are assuming a lot.  AR has signed several last minute recruits seemingly out of nowhere.   Brandon Dean was late if I remember but I know Patrick Beverly was last minute.  Everyone was confused about Thurman when he was signed.  Qualls was relatively unheralded.  Etc.......  Coaches may land more recruits and they may not.  However, they will not have gone into this week clueless and unprepared.

Lastly, fans are acting like we should have landed a ton of big time players.  AR has been irrelevant as long as most players have a memory until this year, AR has lacked a practice facility which indicates lack of commitment to recruits, and it takes time to build a program that is nationally competitive consistently.
No matter how it is spun we are in a terrible position. Hopefully CMA can pull something out of his hat otherwise try and pick up a good transfer eligible for 2016, try and get Frazier if he qualifies and possibly save a spot for 2016. We are in on a ton of good players for 2016. We are going to struggle this next year regardless. When I say struggle I mean struggle compared to where we were this year.

We will see shortly how this all plays out. I am not optimistic. Anybody that is optimistic spends too much time listening to Rick Schaeffer.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Danny J on April 18, 2015, 08:13:51 pm
College coaches have very little do to with basketball recruiting and that started towards the end of Nolans tenure. That is why I believe he struggled so much in recruiting later on. AAU coaches and handlers control more of the recruiting than do HS coaches anymore.
Huh?

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Danny J on April 18, 2015, 08:16:28 pm
No matter how it is spun we are in a terrible position. Hopefully CMA can pull something out of his hat otherwise try and pick up a good transfer eligible for 2016, try and get Frazier if he qualifies and possibly save a spot for 2016. We are in on a ton of good players for 2016. We are going to struggle this next year regardless. When I say struggle I mean struggle compared to where we were this year.

We will see shortly how this all plays out. I am not optimistic. Anybody that is optimistic spends too much time listening to Rick Schaeffer.

I was 100% sure Portis was gone since December, even though I know he told a couple of coaches he was staying around the SEC Tourny time. I was back and forth on Qualls but you would think the coaches would've seen it as a 50/50 proposition. Losing Babb was the biggest kick in the groin as far as I'm concerend. As much as I like MA and want him to succeed, he's got to get a staff put together. The fact that they were seemingly caught off guard by all three leaving is more than alarming.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Danny J

hawgfan4life

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 18, 2015, 08:38:14 pm
I was 100% sure Portis was gone since December, even though I know he told a couple of coaches he was staying around the SEC Tourny time. I was back and forth on Qualls but you would think the coaches would've seen it as a 50/50 proposition. Losing Babb was the biggest kick in the groin as far as I'm concerend. As much as I like MA and want him to succeed, he's got to get a staff put together. The fact that they were seemingly caught off guard by all three leaving is more than alarming.
How do you know they are unprepared and caught off guard?  That is you perception.  AR is hard enough to recruit top players to when spots are available but it is probably near impossible to convince top players to wait on committing in case something opens up.  Only other options are bad options.