Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why get so upset over things like seeding or talking head predictions

Started by hogsanity, March 13, 2018, 08:26:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

I have watched with amusement the last 36 or so hours, listening and watching people melt down over things like the Hogs seed, or game location, or OSU/USC getting left out, or which talking heads are or are not predicting a Hog ( or insert other team name ) win, or who a team has to play in round 1. I was driving alot yesterday and got to listen to several shows and I really thought some of the callers were going to have a heart attack.

I just don't get it. In the case of the Hogs, they got it, right about where they were predicted for weeks. They drew Butler, who is slightly underseeded due to their conference having so many top seeds and teams in the tournament, and the tourney rules against same conf matchups the 1st weekend. In the case of a team like USC, hey maybe beat one of the top teams in your league, a league that only has 3 ncaat teams. OSU? Hey dont lose 6 games to tcu/baylor/ksu.

I am happy with the Hogs set up. Butler is a good team but not great at any of the things that give the Hogs real trouble on either end of the floor. And the 2 in our region seems like the weakest 2 in the field. As for teams in/out, it happens every year, the last couple teams in are always a head scratcher.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 13, 2018, 08:35:19 am
Why get so upset over people who don't share your opinions?

I'm not upset by it, I just do not get the thought process. And as I said it was not just Hog fans. There were people calling in to national shows yesterday just beside themselves over OSU not getting in. It was actually quite entertaining.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2018, 08:45:58 am
I'm not upset by it, I just do not get the thought process. And as I said it was not just Hog fans. There were people calling in to national shows yesterday just beside themselves over OSU not getting in. It was actually quite entertaining.

It's the fragmentation of America and an extreme form of playing the Devil's advocate. Advance any position and people feel almost honor bound to attack and chip away. If they can't find a weak link in the logic, then comes the personal attack or the grammar police.

Start a thread and make the most non-threatening statement you can think of, say perhaps something like I like vanilla ice cream and before long someone will chime in that vanilla is for soy boys.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 13, 2018, 09:04:44 am
It's the fragmentation of America and an extreme form of playing the Devil's advocate. Advance any position and people feel almost honor bound to attack and chip away. If they can't find a weak link in the logic, then comes the personal attack or the grammar police.

Start a thread and make the most non-threatening statement you can think of, say perhaps something like I like vanilla ice cream and before long someone will chime in that vanilla is for soy boys.

Maybe so. I did not get to watch much of the analysis Sunday night because we had our son's youth group at the house, but I finally saw Dickie V rant about OSU today so maybe you are right and it was just people picking up the mantle from that.

Can't remember which show it was but I heard a caller saying he was boycotting the ncaat this year because of how they had completely robbed teams of a chance to win a NC.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2018, 09:09:21 am
Maybe so. I did not get to watch much of the analysis Sunday night because we had our son's youth group at the house, but I finally saw Dickie V rant about OSU today so maybe you are right and it was just people picking up the mantle from that.

Can't remember which show it was but I heard a caller saying he was boycotting the ncaat this year because of how they had completely robbed teams of a chance to win a NC.

I do think that the NCAA selection committee fills out the bracket with an eye toward TV ratings and star power. Money has affected every other aspect of college basketball so I'm sure it impacts decisions on who is in or out as well.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Corkscrew Johnson

Well, because seeding is critical.  As they say, to win in the dance you gotta win in advance.  That's because the higher the seed, the higher the probability of winning.  And that's the goal. 

I think it's ridiculous when our fans want to prove our worth by challenging and defeating every top team, ie "to be the best you gotta beat the best".  Umm, no.  I want to win the National Championship, which means putting ourselves in a position with the highest probability of winning.  Plus luck, I'll take all the luck we can get.  I hope Purdue, Texas Tech, and Villanova all lose before we have to play them.  Have you seen us play this year?  Very low probability we can beat 3 teams of that caliber in a row.

So yeah, that's why seeding matters. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 13, 2018, 09:22:34 am
Well, because seeding is critical.  As they say, to win in the dance you gotta win in advance.  That's because the higher the seed, the higher the probability of winning.  And that's the goal. 

I think it's ridiculous when our fans want to prove our worth by challenging and defeating every top team, ie "to be the best you gotta beat the best".  Umm, no.  I want to win the National Championship, which means putting ourselves in a position with the highest probability of winning.  Plus luck, I'll take all the luck we can get.  I hope Purdue, Texas Tech, and Villanova all lose before we have to play them.  Have you seen us play this year?  Very low probability we can beat 3 teams of that caliber in a row.

So yeah, that's why seeding matters.

Seeding does matter but all of the weeping and gnashing of teeth in the aftermath does nothing to advance the cause. Nothing changes once the seeding is set. Time to play the hand we've been dealt. Such is life.
Hogs up! Covid down!

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2018, 08:45:58 am

Why do social media sites like Hogville exist?  Why do radio call-in shows exist?  Why do people discuss sports at the office?

The NCAA tournament is one of the most discussed events in U.S. sports.  The most interesting topics are always at the margins.  Right now the margins happen to be who got in, who didn't and where those that did were seeded.  It's this way every year.  Surely those of you who are vastly superior to the rest of us could just let us make fools of ourselves in peace. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 13, 2018, 10:10:40 am
Why do social media sites like Hogville exist?  Why do radio call-in shows exist?  Why do people discuss sports at the office?

The NCAA tournament is one of the most discussed events in U.S. sports.  The most interesting topics are always at the margins.  Right now the margins happen to be who got in, who didn't and where those that did were seeded.  It's this way every year.  Surely those of you who are vastly superior to the rest of us could just let us make fools of ourselves in peace.

Are you rooting for all of our SEC brothers in the tournament?

RazorSax

I don't get the angle thinking everyone is getting worked up about things, specifically about who made it and who didn't.

This is a message board for sports, more often than not our Hogs, but still a good place for friendly talks about other things going on. The NCAA Tournament is a good topic of conversation.

If having simple back-and-forth talks about topics regarding the Razorbacks, the tournament, the SEC, or sports in general is impossible, why even have forums and members to talk to?

Opinions are opinions, and should generally be respected, even if you don't agree with them. I was always taught that if you couldn't at least respect someone else's opinion, that you shouldn't even try to converse with them. If you want to be "that guy" though, go for it. You're probably that one friend that everyone talks to, but meanwhile behind your back they're all asking each other why they even bother, as you're always right and everyone else is wrong.

Lighten up and enjoy different angles on things and try a different outlook on differing opinions. Maybe a change will help you.

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorSax on March 13, 2018, 10:20:19 am
I don't get the angle thinking everyone is getting worked up about things, specifically about who made it and who didn't.

This is a message board for sports, more often than not our Hogs, but still a good place for friendly talks about other things going on. The NCAA Tournament is a good topic of conversation.

If having simple back-and-forth talks about topics regarding the Razorbacks, the tournament, the SEC, or sports in general is impossible, why even have forums and members to talk to?

Opinions are opinions, and should generally be respected, even if you don't agree with them. I was always taught that if you couldn't at least respect someone else's opinion, that you shouldn't even try to converse with them. If you want to be "that guy" though, go for it. You're probably that one friend that everyone talks to, but meanwhile behind your back they're all asking each other why they even bother, as you're always right and everyone else is wrong.

Lighten up and enjoy different angles on things and try a different outlook on differing opinions. Maybe a change will help you.

So by asking WHY people who are not fans of a particular school would get upset over said school being left out of the tournament, that I do not respect other opinions.

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 13, 2018, 10:12:55 am
Are you rooting for all of our SEC brothers in the tournament?

You bet. Until they play us. The bars in Nashville will be full of people doing the same thing for all SEC teams.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 13, 2018, 10:39:08 am
You bet. Until they play us. The bars in Nashville will be full of people doing the same thing for all SEC teams.

I hope all the sec teams well or we will hear that the SEC was overrated, which will make it harder next year for sec tams on the bubble.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2018, 11:05:48 am
I hope all the sec teams well or we will hear that the SEC was overrated, which will make it harder next year for sec tams on the bubble.

Yep. That's why most fans of all SEC teams pull for each other in OOC games. Because they know what's good for the SEC as a whole is good for them.

phadedhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2018, 08:26:03 am
I have watched with amusement the last 36 or so hours, listening and watching people melt down over things like the Hogs seed, or game location, or OSU/USC getting left out, or which talking heads are or are not predicting a Hog ( or insert other team name ) win, or who a team has to play in round 1. I was driving alot yesterday and got to listen to several shows and I really thought some of the callers were going to have a heart attack.

I just don't get it. In the case of the Hogs, they got it, right about where they were predicted for weeks. They drew Butler, who is slightly underseeded due to their conference having so many top seeds and teams in the tournament, and the tourney rules against same conf matchups the 1st weekend. In the case of a team like USC, hey maybe beat one of the top teams in your league, a league that only has 3 ncaat teams. OSU? Hey dont lose 6 games to tcu/baylor/ksu.

I am happy with the Hogs set up. Butler is a good team but not great at any of the things that give the Hogs real trouble on either end of the floor. And the 2 in our region seems like the weakest 2 in the field. As for teams in/out, it happens every year, the last couple teams in are always a head scratcher.

The game ain't til Friday...we are just killin' time til the basketball starts.

Oliver

I won't be upset unless we lose to Butler.  We beat Butler, expectations not potential, have been met

Randohoggie

Quote from: RazorSax on March 13, 2018, 10:20:19 am

Exactly this.  It's a message board.  People discuss things.  I've done some complaining about the seed Arkansas got, but beyond discussing it, I'm not concerned about it as a RL thing.  I've commented on the fact that OU shouldn't be in the tournament, but it's not a big deal in RL.

Why get so upset over things people say on a message board that exists so that people can talk about sports?

hogsanity

Quote from: Randohoggie on March 13, 2018, 12:37:36 pm
Exactly this.  It's a message board.  People discuss things.  I've done some complaining about the seed Arkansas got, but beyond discussing it, I'm not concerned about it as a RL thing.  I've commented on the fact that OU shouldn't be in the tournament, but it's not a big deal in RL.

Why get so upset over things people say on a message board that exists so that people can talk about sports?

I am talking in general, not just here. The utter indignation people have been expressing about OSU and USC was pretty extensive. I get some people wondering how FLa is a 6 when the Hogs beat them Fri or how A&M is a 7 just like the Hogs. ? like that I get.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 13, 2018, 11:31:04 am
Yep. That's why most fans of all SEC teams pull for each other in OOC games. Because they know what's good for the SEC as a whole is good for them.

Does that mean if UGA were to get Thad Matta that would be good for the U of A?

The OTR

Because we get screwed over by announcers, national media including but not limited to the SEC network and ESPN, bracketologists, the NCAA, radio talk show hosts and various gas bags that appear on these shows to give predictions and opinions, referees, and any and everyone. 

I'm steamed up. I'm upset.  I'm going to post on here like a lunatic and fuss and fume about all this crap and you're not gonna stop me.

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 13, 2018, 03:01:06 pm
Does that mean if UGA were to get Thad Matta that would be good for the U of A?

I couldn't care less who Georgia hires.  We're talking NCAA tournament games here.  You're the one who raised the question.   

hogsanity

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on March 13, 2018, 03:10:47 pm
Because we get screwed over by announcers, national media including but not limited to the SEC network and ESPN, bracketologists, the NCAA, radio talk show hosts and various gas bags that appear on these shows to give predictions and opinions, referees, and any and everyone. 

I'm steamed up. I'm upset.  I'm going to post on here like a lunatic and fuss and fume about all this crap and you're not gonna stop me.

So it is just like any other topic for you..................cause that is how you post about everything.

Who said anything about stopping you, to the contrary, as I said I have found all the angst over a 14 loss team not making it quite entertaining.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 13, 2018, 03:49:25 pm
I couldn't care less who Georgia hires.  We're talking NCAA tournament games here.  You're the one who raised the question.   

If SEC teams win games in the NCAAT does that mean the teams are getting better, and thus the SEC is better?

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 14, 2018, 08:17:55 am
If SEC teams win games in the NCAAT does that mean the teams are getting better, and thus the SEC is better?

It doesn't matter what I think or what you think.  Public perception is what matters in the three major NCAA sports, because neither football, basketball nor baseball are based on a pure playoff system. Rating systems have been introduced to justify the selection process, but the ratings themselves are inherently biased.  We all know this.  Perception is reality. 

Consider ACC seeds vs. SEC seeds and locations of first round games.  Case in point is Kentucky vs. North Carolina in light of their respective records and RPI rankings.  North Carolina finished 25-10 with a number 4 RPI.  The Tar Heels beat number 7 RPI Duke in the semifinals of the ACC tournament and lost to number 1 Virginia.  They get a number 2 seed and play in Charlotte.  Kentucky finished 24-10 with a 10 RPI.  The Wildcats beat number 8 Tennessee on their way to the SEC tournament title.  They draw a 5 seed and travel to Boise.  Does the committee justify that with Quadrant 1 wins?  Are Quadrant 1 wins affected by conference bias?  Ask the Big 10 schools this year.  Which team is most likely to advance to the Sweet 16?  UNC's toughest opponent is Texas A&M in Charlotte.  Kentucky must get by Arizona in Boise.  What will perception be when UNC wins 2 and Kentucky loses to Arizona?  ESPN will flash conference records from the first weekend, and everyone will say "See, I told you so - the SEC is a crap conference."

Tennessee is another example of selection bias.  Compare the Vols to Michigan State.  Both are 3 seeds.  Tennessee finished 25-8 vs. Michigan State's 29-4, yet Tennessee finished with an RPI of 8, while Michigan State finished 14.  Again, inherent bias in the RPI, this time based upon the notion that the SEC was superior to the Big 10 this year. Maybe it was.  But Michigan State gets the first round in Detroit, while Tennessee must travel to Dallas, even though there are two first rounds located in Nashville.  Texas Tech, another 3 seed, plays the first round in Dallas. What's up with that? 

Arkansas was seeded 26th overall by the selection committee.  That is the second 7 seed, yet we drew number 33 Butler, which would make them the second 9 seed.  The explanation was that the Big East had two number 1 seeds, so Butler was dropped to 10.  Huh?  Does that make any sense?  If that weren't enough of a head scratcher, Arkansas must travel to Detroit, which is closer to Indianapolis than Fayetteville is to Dallas. 

What's going on here?  Perception.  The SEC is second only to the ACC since 2005 in sending players to the NBA - https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/06/24/nba-draft-most-players-college-conference-kentucky-kansas-acc - yet the SEC is referred to over and over on Hogville as a "crap conference".  Why?  Because the media creates that perception after the SEC gets screwed by the NCAA selection committee and the talking heads paint the conference as a football league. 

Nothing is going to change any time soon.  The ACC is still the best basketball conference and that isn't likely to change.  But the perception of the SEC is wrong because of NCAA and media bias.  That won't change until the SEC starts winning more games in the tournament despite the comparatively biased seeding and location of first round games.

So I'll continue to pull for SEC teams in the NCAA tournament.  That is the only way to change media and national bias.  Perception is reality, and a well perceived SEC will benefit Arkansas in seeding in the future, just as it does now for ACC teams.  All that really matters to me is what is good for the Razorbacks.

deserthog

I will emphatically root for all sec teams to win except for one. I hope Arizona mops the floor with Kentucky. But I did live in Tucson for 30 years.

gmarv54

Quote from: deserthog on March 14, 2018, 10:26:59 am
I will emphatically root for all sec teams to win except for one. I hope Arizona mops the floor with Kentucky. But I did live in Tucson for 30 years.
You stole my thunder there,I am with you everyone except Kenlucky.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 14, 2018, 10:08:38 am
It doesn't matter what I think or what you think.  Public perception is what matters in the three major NCAA sports, because neither football, basketball nor baseball are based on a pure playoff system. Rating systems have been introduced to justify the selection process, but the ratings themselves are inherently biased.  We all know this.  Perception is reality. 

Consider ACC seeds vs. SEC seeds and locations of first round games.  Case in point is Kentucky vs. North Carolina in light of their respective records and RPI rankings.  North Carolina finished 25-10 with a number 4 RPI.  The Tar Heels beat number 7 RPI Duke in the semifinals of the ACC tournament and lost to number 1 Virginia.  They get a number 2 seed and play in Charlotte.  Kentucky finished 24-10 with a 10 RPI.  The Wildcats beat number 8 Tennessee on their way to the SEC tournament title.  They draw a 5 seed and travel to Boise.  Does the committee justify that with Quadrant 1 wins?  Are Quadrant 1 wins affected by conference bias?  Ask the Big 10 schools this year.  Which team is most likely to advance to the Sweet 16?  UNC's toughest opponent is Texas A&M in Charlotte.  Kentucky must get by Arizona in Boise.  What will perception be when UNC wins 2 and Kentucky loses to Arizona?  ESPN will flash conference records from the first weekend, and everyone will say "See, I told you so - the SEC is a crap conference."

Tennessee is another example of selection bias.  Compare the Vols to Michigan State.  Both are 3 seeds.  Tennessee finished 25-8 vs. Michigan State's 29-4, yet Tennessee finished with an RPI of 8, while Michigan State finished 14.  Again, inherent bias in the RPI, this time based upon the notion that the SEC was superior to the Big 10 this year. Maybe it was.  But Michigan State gets the first round in Detroit, while Tennessee must travel to Dallas, even though there are two first rounds located in Nashville.  Texas Tech, another 3 seed, plays the first round in Dallas. What's up with that? 

Arkansas was seeded 26th overall by the selection committee.  That is the second 7 seed, yet we drew number 33 Butler, which would make them the second 9 seed.  The explanation was that the Big East had two number 1 seeds, so Butler was dropped to 10.  Huh?  Does that make any sense?  If that weren't enough of a head scratcher, Arkansas must travel to Detroit, which is closer to Indianapolis than Fayetteville is to Dallas. 

What's going on here?  Perception.  The SEC is second only to the ACC since 2005 in sending players to the NBA - https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/06/24/nba-draft-most-players-college-conference-kentucky-kansas-acc - yet the SEC is referred to over and over on Hogville as a "crap conference".  Why?  Because the media creates that perception after the SEC gets screwed by the NCAA selection committee and the talking heads paint the conference as a football league. 

Nothing is going to change any time soon.  The ACC is still the best basketball conference and that isn't likely to change.  But the perception of the SEC is wrong because of NCAA and media bias.  That won't change until the SEC starts winning more games in the tournament despite the comparatively biased seeding and location of first round games.

So I'll continue to pull for SEC teams in the NCAA tournament.  That is the only way to change media and national bias.  Perception is reality, and a well perceived SEC will benefit Arkansas in seeding in the future, just as it does now for ACC teams.  All that really matters to me is what is good for the Razorbacks.

A simple yes would have sufficed. How many of those NBA players are from Kentucky?

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 14, 2018, 12:05:08 pm
A simple yes would have sufficed. How many of those NBA players are from Kentucky?

A bunch of them. Old argument. Just like most of them from the ACC are from Duke and UNC, and most from the Big 12 are from Kansas.  Carry on. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 14, 2018, 12:29:39 pm
A bunch of them. Old argument. Just like most of them from the ACC are from Duke and UNC, and most from the Big 12 are from Kansas.  Carry on.

Kentucky getting good players allows them to be nationally relevant and win at a high level. This is good for the perception of the SEC, right?

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 14, 2018, 01:29:17 pm
Kentucky getting good players allows them to be nationally relevant and win at a high level. This is good for the perception of the SEC, right?

Yes.  Just like Duke and UNC are good for the ACC and just like Kansas is good for the Big 12.  Every win in the NCAA tournament is good for the SEC.

HogBreath

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on March 13, 2018, 03:10:47 pm

Uh oh...looks line General Skandar is really upset and about to turn Demolition Incorporated loose.

Head fer the hills...boys.

And how does North Carolina manage to play all their freakin NCAA games in North Carolina?
What a crock of bullshiz that is.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 14, 2018, 02:55:10 pm
Yes.  Just like Duke and UNC are good for the ACC and just like Kansas is good for the Big 12.  Every win in the NCAA tournament is good for the SEC.

So Malik Monk to UK was good for the SEC, thus good for Arkansas, right?

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 14, 2018, 06:05:51 pm
So Malik Monk to UK was good for the SEC, thus good for Arkansas, right?

You have a remarkable knack for absurdity.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 14, 2018, 06:07:39 pm
You have a remarkable knack for absurdity.

Just following your logic. Glad you've finally come around and think it's absurd.

The OTR

Quote from: hogsanity on March 14, 2018, 08:07:38 am
So it is just like any other topic for you..................cause that is how you post about everything.

Who said anything about stopping you, to the contrary, as I said I have found all the angst over a 14 loss team not making it quite entertaining.

You are the voice of reason.  I am the voice of the people.

HogBreath

I get tired of folks griping about seeding or some yak bags predictions, when they could be complaining about how bad the refs are instead.  That seems like a much better idea.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 14, 2018, 06:41:24 pm
Just following your logic. Glad you've finally come around and think it's absurd.

You may have some sort of talent. Cross-examination is not your strength.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 14, 2018, 08:16:29 pm
You may have some sort of talent. Cross-examination is not your strength.

Malik Monk made Kentucky better, and helped them win OOC games. I doubt Kentucky takes off UNC in a marquee matchup unless Malik drops 47. I was under the impression that an SEC team winning OOC basketball games helped the SEC as a whole. "That's why most fans of all SEC teams pull for each other in OOC games. Because they know what's good for the SEC as a whole is good for them." Guess I'm just missing something only a hotshot Nashville lawyer can understand.

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 15, 2018, 08:02:42 am
Malik Monk made Kentucky better, and helped them win OOC games. I doubt Kentucky takes off UNC in a marquee matchup unless Malik drops 47. I was under the impression that an SEC team winning OOC basketball games helped the SEC as a whole. "That's why most fans of all SEC teams pull for each other in OOC games. Because they know what's good for the SEC as a whole is good for them." Guess I'm just missing something only a hotshot Nashville lawyer can understand.

You asked whether Monk to Kentucky was good for Arkansas. What would have been better for Arkansas - for Malik Monk to have played for Kentucky or Arkansas?  It was clearly bad for Arkansas that Monk chose Kentucky over his home state flagship university where his brother was a football star.

Your question was absurd. You're nothing more than a troll, so I usually ignore you. You asked me a direct derail question in this thread, so I responded. You don't seriously think that tournament wins by other SEC teams are bad for Arkansas. That's as absurd as your Monk question. 

Enjoy the tournament.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 15, 2018, 12:07:42 pm
You asked whether Monk to Kentucky was good for Arkansas. What would have been better for Arkansas - for Malik Monk to have played for Kentucky or Arkansas? 

Your question was absurd. You're nothing more than a troll, so I usually ignore you. You asked me a direct derail question in this thread, so I responded. You don't seriously think that tournament by other SEC teams are bad for Arkansas. That's as absurd as your Monk question. 

Enjoy the tournament.

Would have been better, but all in all still good by your logic. Enjoy rooting on Kentucky in the Nashville bars full of sheep.

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 15, 2018, 12:10:28 pm
Would have been better, but all in all still good by your logic. Enjoy rooting on Kentucky in the Nashville bars full of sheep.

What is your point?  It seems to be that the best case scenario for Arkansas's basketball program is for all SEC teams to lose in the first round. Is that it?

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 15, 2018, 12:14:54 pm
What is your point?  It seems to be that the best case scenario for Arkansas's basketball program is for all SEC teams to lose in the first round. Is that it?

Rooting for the "SEC" makes no sense. It's in no way good for Arkansas for Kentucky to win a national title.

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 15, 2018, 12:18:54 pm
Rooting for the "SEC" makes no sense. It's in no way good for Arkansas for Kentucky to win a national title.

That's not the question. There are 7 teams besides Arkansas in the tournament. Is it good for Arkansas if they all lose in the first round?

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 15, 2018, 12:26:05 pm
That's not the question. There are 7 teams besides Arkansas in the tournament. Is it good for Arkansas if they all lose in the first round?

Yes. Why would you want your year, in year out competition to succeed? Wouldn't you want to operate at a recruiting advantage relative to your competition? Your perception argument is deeply flawed. I don't have time to address every fallacy, but we'll just go with the first one: Kentucky had 4 Quad 1 wins; UNC had FOURTEEN. More than TRIPLE. Also the most in the country by two. Where's the bias? Are you really comparing the road a 5 seed has to take to the Sweet 16 to that of a 2 seed? SEC got 8 teams in; none were significantly over or under seeded.

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 15, 2018, 12:37:03 pm
Yes. Why would you want your year, in year out competition to succeed? Wouldn't you want to operate at a recruiting advantage relative to your competition?

Talk about deeply flawed.  In a vacuum this may be true, but when considering all the implications that perception of strength of conference has on everything from recruiting to RPI to television revenue, your thinking is all foam and no beer.

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 15, 2018, 12:37:03 pm
Your perception argument is deeply flawed. I don't have time to address every fallacy, but we'll just go with the first one: Kentucky had 4 Quad 1 wins; UNC had FOURTEEN. More than TRIPLE. Also the most in the country by two. Where's the bias? Are you really comparing the road a 5 seed has to take to the Sweet 16 to that of a 2 seed? SEC got 8 teams in; none were significantly over or under seeded.

You must be a politician. If you don't like the answer to a question, change the subject.

Maybe Quadrant 1 justifies UNC playing in its home state as a number 2 seed. UNC played 13 Quadrant 1 conference games to Kentucky's 10, and this was the best year the SEC may have ever had from top to bottom, at least as far as perception is concerned.

How many conference Quadrant 1 games do you think Arkansas will have next year if all SEC teams lose in the first round?

Incidentally, at least one website has us already losing to Butler:

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/team-sheet-predict?team=Arkansas

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 15, 2018, 02:17:44 pmthis was the best year the SEC may have ever had from top to bottom, at least as far as perception is concerned.

I thought the SEC got hosed this year due to perception? That's what you said above; SEC has to correct the media's incorrect perception by winning.

By all means, keep rooting for Kentucky if it makes you feel better.

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 15, 2018, 02:21:33 pm
I thought the SEC got hosed this year due to perception? That's what you said above; SEC has to correct the media's incorrect perception by winning.

By all means, keep rooting for Kentucky if it makes you feel better.

Huh?  Did I say this year cured the perception problem?  The only way to cure it is to perform well as a conference against OOC competition, especially in the tournament. Either you're being obtuse, or you're a few cards shy of a full deck.

As for Kentucky, if there is an SEC team I enjoy seeing lose, it's the Wildcats, particularly since Calipari opened his one-and-done bordello in Lexington. I agree that Kentucky winning when no other SEC teams do perpetuates the poor perception of the league as top heavy. But that isn't what I was talking about and you know it. You shifted the focus to Kentucky to suit your silly argument that it is good for Arkansas for every SEC team to lose today and tomorrow.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 15, 2018, 03:05:12 pm
Huh?  Did I say this year cured the perception problem?  The only way to cure it is to perform well as a conference against OOC competition, especially in the tournament. Either you're being obtuse, or you're a few cards shy of a full deck.

As for Kentucky, if there is an SEC team I enjoy seeing lose, it's the Wildcats, particularly since Calipari opened his one-and-done bordello in Lexington. I agree that Kentucky winning when no other SEC teams do perpetuates the poor perception of the league as top heavy. But that isn't what I was talking about and you know it. You shifted the focus to Kentucky to suit your silly argument that it is good for Arkansas for every SEC team to lose today and tomorrow.

Not one SEC team was under or over seeded by more than a seed; Kentucky has a case for a four and really that's about it. There are 8 teams in the tournament.

Does Alabama make it in if the perception of the SEC is so poor? You're basing rooting for other teams on a perception that, frankly, does not exist. 

I root for Arkansas, and don't give a damn about the SEC. None of them winning today or tomorrow benefits Arkansas; it benefits those programs. 

You think NC State fans want to see Carolina do well? They are in the same conference. What's good for one is good for all!

I will say one positive about the "S-E-C" chant and mantra is it lets me know who is a little slow.

RME

SEC entered our game what, 5-0? If we lose, which it isn't over yet, but if we lose we'll be the lone SEC loss. Somehow the SEC going 5-1 with us being the lone loss actually helps us, because the SEC performing well is good for us. Interesting.