Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An observation regarding the changing personality of Bret Bielema

Started by FutureMan, September 10, 2017, 11:40:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FutureMan

I will first acknowledge that I have been a Bret supporter.  I remember watching his Wisconsin teams from afar and admiring the toughness and discipline those teams brought.  Even though those Wisco teams were not the most talented, they played with a passion which allowed them to succeed on a national level.  When Bret was hired by Arkansas, I was excited to see him bring that mentality and toughness to Ark.  It was something this team needed after the dysfunction left in the wake of the Petrino scandal.

One of the things I most admired about Bret when he first arrived was the passion and confidence he brought.  He is a man that cares deeply, not only for the football program but for the kids he is in charge of.  Within those first three years of him being head coach, I remember seeing him cry at least 3 times in media press conferences.  I loved it.  I though to myself, 'that is a man and coach I can get behind.  He wants to be successful and he wants to do the right thing to be successful.'

And at first, you could see that passion in how the team performed.  Even though that 2013 team was getting outmatched on a consistent basis, they brought it each and every game.  You could see the heart displayed in their actions.  Even more so with the 2014 team, They played their tails off every game.  Even though they didn't win every game, they played with passion, heart, and discipline.  That's what I wanted and expected from a Bret Bielema coached team.

Fast forward to last year and now, I have begun to notice a lack of passion and fire from Bret.  Something just seems off.  Before, I would watch his press conferences and walk away inspired by what he said.  Somehow what he was saying in a football context I could apply to my own life.  I just don't get that now.  It just seems to me like he lacks confidence.  That swagger and passion he used to bring is gone, and unfortunately, that is being manifested in how the team plays.  We don't have the heart we used to have.  That '2014' mystique that I enjoyed so much is just not there now.  We just look soft and indifferent.

If we want to be successful this season we need to regain that fire.  And I think that fire begins with Coach Bielema.  I'm not sure what caused him to lose his fire - maybe he's just burned out, maybe he came to the realization that he is not gong to be able to do what he thought he could do.  Whatever the reason, he needs to get it back.

I will not make any snap judgments until the season has been completely played out.  But my fear at this point in time is that Coach B has lost the fire for this team, and I am unsure if he will be able to get it back.   

"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Arkansas Fan

When a team quits, like we've see them do last year and at the end of the TCU game, it's on the HC. Last year, I don't believe one bit that Auburn was 53 points better than us, but I do believe that they were 53 points better than an Arkansas team that had quit and wasn't mentally prepared. That's on Bielema.

Tusks

I haven't seen one thing in 5 years on the field from BB that gives me confidence in his head coaching ability, not one.  0-15 at AR when trailing at the half alone should get him fired.  I wasn't impressed with him at Wisc.  I always thought he was a 'system' coach.  He stepped in for BA and ran BA's system to some wins, but I was never thinking, wow that guys is 'it'.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

FutureMan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 10, 2017, 11:44:41 am
When a team quits, like we've see them do last year and at the end of the TCU game, it's on the HC. Last year, I don't believe one bit that Auburn was 53 points better than us, but I do believe that they were 53 points better than an Arkansas team that had quit and wasn't mentally prepared. That's on Bielema.

I understand your sentiment Arkansas Fan, and I am right there with you.  As I addressed in the post, there is something that is "off" with this team the last couple of years.  The fire is not there, and you can see that manifested in how Bret conducts himself.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Hawgphish

i've always heard that a team takes on the persona of the head coach.