Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Enjoy what you can from the rest of the Bielema era

Started by Semohog, September 10, 2017, 12:41:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Semohog

We aren't getting anyone any time soon. How did we get to this point? How did he get this kind of buy out after the bowl game in Houston? Ubelievable!

Hawgphish

First, folks are wasting time talking about firing CBB and hiring someone else.  It is not going to happen this year or next. The buyout is too big and he is the AD's choice.  But why do universities engage in such wreckless economic agreements with head coaches.  Giving head coaches extensions and raising buyouts just to prove to recruits we have stability.  Then those recruits  can't win and now we are stuck with the head coach.  It is ridiculous.  A money grab.  One of the only places where someone gets a bonus for failing. 

If CBB was to be fired now, his record at Arkansas would be 26-27 and 10-22 in the SEC.  And he would get 15 MILLION BUCKS as a reward.  Crazy!

Poker_hog

His original buyout was fair and needed to lure him from a stable situation.  The upping of his buyout after a 7-5 season was retarded and should cost Long his job.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

onebadrubi

Remember, two have to sign the contract for it be valid.  I've supported long and still actually do.   But I don't blame Brett either for getting his contract very coach friendly. Sadly, at the time it is what it took to get and lock up what the entire sport thought was a top notch coach

Lanny

The buyout is to large for Bielema to be fired.  Jan 1, 2018 Bielema's buyout drops to 11.8 million.  Nobody is going to come forward and put up that kind of money to fire a coach.  I suggest you enjoy and support your team.  Realize this is college football one of the most wonder times of the year.  Yesterday wasn't that bad, Ohio State lost is one example.  There will be some big wins this season for Arkansas. 
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Hawgphish

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 10, 2017, 07:04:24 am
Remember, two have to sign the contract for it be valid.  I've supported long and still actually do.   But I don't blame Brett either for getting his contract very coach friendly. Sadly, at the time it is what it took to get and lock up what the entire sport thought was a top notch coach
I don't blame the coaches either.  It is just not a viable way of doing business.  The record so far does not warrant that kind of money.   

hawgon

Someone threw money at him and he took it.  I don't blame Bielema for the contract.  Long needs to be terminated post haste.  We are at the point with this season that we must act to save the program and we literally can't.

lefty08

Quote from: hawgon on September 10, 2017, 07:20:53 am
Someone threw money at him and he took it.  I don't blame Bielema for the contract.  Long needs to be terminated post haste.  We are at the point with this season that we must act to save the program and we literally can't.

His contract isnt unusual
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Poker_hog

12 mill is not that much.  Finance it over 5 years.  It'd be less than 3% of the budget.  Small price to pay compared to the damage that would be done by 3 more bad seasons.

hawgon

Quote from: lefty08 on September 10, 2017, 07:28:34 am
His contract isnt unusual

Yes, it is.  He did nothing to warrant that large of a buyout and it isn't reciprocal.  If he wishes to leave us, he can do so for a pittance.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 10, 2017, 07:30:23 am
12 mill is not that much.  Finance it over 5 years.  It'd be less than 3% of the budget.  Small price to pay compared to the damage that would be done by 3 more bad seasons.

This

We're actually appearing to get worse now.

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Hollywood_HOGan45

Not too much to enjoy for a 6-6 or maybe even 4-8 team.

navyhog24

ricepig

First, outside of a 3-9, 4-8 type season, he'll get the 2018 season. Yes, the buyout is manageable, spread out over time, and offset by any coaching job he might get, but Long/UA Administration, doesn't want to be known as a school that paid out $15.4m. To those saying, wait until Jan 1st and it's cheaper, yes, but the new Dec signing period really puts that in flux, hard to sign a class and then fire your coach two weeks later.

hawgon

Kendall

I will enjoy the return of the darksiders.  This could get as bad as the end of Nutt's time on the hill.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Lanny on September 10, 2017, 07:03:38 am
one answer:  Jeff Long

I think he's just a slicker version of John White with a better PR Dept.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Athog

I am laughing at this one!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 10, 2017, 07:18:49 am
Nothing to enjoy.

Didn't you say this wasn't going to be a close game? Good call just wrong team.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HardCore

I think generally, buyouts get paid in multi year installments already.  Come back to his agent with a straight cash deal around $8MM (or something).....see if they bite.  He has lost the Fanbase....he might take it.  Don't try, don't know
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

hawgon

Quote from: HardCore on September 10, 2017, 07:53:59 am
I think generally, buyouts get paid in multi year installments already.  Come back to his agent with a straight cash deal around $8MM (or something).....see if they bite.  He has lost the Fanbase....he might take it.  Don't try, don't know

Exactly.  A contract is just a starting point for negotiations. 

Poker_hog

Quote from: ricepig on September 10, 2017, 07:37:51 am
First, outside of a 3-9, 4-8 type season, he'll get the 2018 season. Yes, the buyout is manageable, spread out over time, and offset by any coaching job he might get, but Long/UA Administration, doesn't want to be known as a school that paid out $15.4m. To those saying, wait until Jan 1st and it's cheaper, yes, but the new Dec signing period really puts that in flux, hard to sign a class and then fire your coach two weeks later.

Better to have a lame duck coach for 2 months than 3 years. 

If we wanted to fire bert dec 1st, I bet he'd be cool with 12 mill plus his $333k for December.  Any reasonable person would agree to that.

Poker_hog

Quote from: HardCore on September 10, 2017, 07:53:59 am

Agreed.  Bert is young.  He'll land somewhere.  He's probably ready to put the sec behind him.