Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's up with the TCU Love?

Started by widespreadsooie, September 08, 2017, 08:09:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

widespreadsooie

Just about any media or public opinion I hear/read are making this game out as TCU's to lose. I'm not sure I understand why. What I see is a team we beat at their place a year ago and finished a game better than in a stronger conference. What am I missing? I know TCU returns a lot from a team who averaged 16.5 ppg over their last four contests last season.

ballz2thewall

TCU has a reputation as a high flying trapeze act. those teams get the nods.
The rest of the frog.

Dirty

widespreadsooie

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 08, 2017, 08:15:37 pm
TCU has a reputation as a high flying trapeze act. those teams get the nods.

That and our defensive reputation is, well, not good.  Not hard to figure it out.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Seebs

This is what you and every fan should want. Laud the team we play and if/when we beat them we get even more addoration.  This is a great thing.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

kodiakisland

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 08, 2017, 08:09:38 pm
Just about any media or public opinion I hear/read are making this game out as TCU's to lose. I'm not sure I understand why. What I see is a team we beat at their place a year ago and finished a game better than in a stronger conference. What am I missing? I know TCU returns a lot from a team who averaged 16.5 ppg over their last four contests last season.

I think a lot of people remember how we finished the season last year and are waiting to see if things have changed.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Dirty

EastexHawg

I have no idea.  They had a losing record last year and didn't really beat anyone.  Kenny Hill is one of the most overrated QBs of the last five years.  He's still living off one win over a vastly overrated South Carolina team in a season opener years ago.  I wouldn't have him as my QB.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 08, 2017, 08:33:51 pm
That and our defensive reputation is, well, not good.  Not hard to figure it out.

That defense played well enough last season in FW to get a W.

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 08, 2017, 08:43:20 pm
I think a lot of people remember how we finished the season last year and are waiting to see if things have changed.

Probably the best reason I've heard. However, I'll go back to my ppg stat for TCU over their last four in 2016. They finished horribly too.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 08, 2017, 08:46:14 pm
I have no idea.  They had a losing record last year and didn't really beat anyone.  Kenny Hill is one of the most overrated QBs of the last five years.  He's still living off one win over a vastly overrated South Carolina team in a season opener years ago.  I wouldn't have him as my QB.

You and I are on the same page regarding KH

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 08, 2017, 09:05:00 pm
That defense played well enough last season in FW to get a W.

Probably the best reason I've heard. However, I'll go back to my ppg stat for TCU over their last four in 2016. They finished horribly too.

But but Gary Patterson eerrr losing season errrr 12-1........errr

They were hot garbage last year. We were slightly cooler hot garbage, but got lit on fire at the end of the season.
This is my non-signature signature.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Porkchop#1

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 08, 2017, 08:43:20 pm
Seems reasonable that some of these people would recall we beat the Frogs last year at their place.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on September 08, 2017, 09:07:43 pm
Paul Finebaum has Arkansas!

Ray of sunshine in my book. Most objective, national CFB analyst in my opinion.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Seebs on September 08, 2017, 08:41:58 pm
This is what you and every fan should want. Laud the team we play and if/when we beat them we get even more addoration.  This is a great thing.
Its not going to work out that way though. If we beat TCU the narrative suddenly switches to TCU is in a down year or they arent that good. The hogs never win because were good, its because the other team sucks or had a bad night. It's always been like that.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 08, 2017, 09:16:52 pm
Its not going to work out that way though. If we beat TCU the narrative suddenly switches to TCU is in a down year or they arent that good. The hogs never win because were good, its because the other team sucks or had a bad night. It's always been like that.
Exactly..after we beat the Froggies, they'll become Stockyards Community College for Girls.

EastexHawg

It's not like we are playing USC, or like TCU is playing Michigan for that matter.  No one else around the country is going to heap praise on the winner of a game between teams that finished last year a combined 13-13 regardless of who it is.  The Dallas Morning News is spending quite a bit of time on the game just because TCU is the most prominent program in the Metroplex. The rest of the college football world isn't closely monitoring this game to see who emerges a big time contender and who is buried.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 08, 2017, 09:47:32 pm
It's not like we are playing USC, or like TCU is playing Michigan for that matter.  No one else around the country is going to heap praise on the winner of a game between teams that finished last year a combined 13-13 regardless of who it is.  The Dallas Morning News is spending quite a bit of time on the game just because TCU is the most prominent program in the Metroplex. The rest of the college football world isn't closely monitoring this game to see who emerges a big time contender and who is buried.

True. What's your point though?

kodiakisland

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 08, 2017, 09:10:43 pm
Seems reasonable that some of these people would recall we beat the Frogs last year at their place.

Yes, but that was early. People remember how you finish and expect you to start about the same.  Seem reasonable?

Personally, I don't think we know enough about either team to favor anyone.  Seems like a pickem to me.  Hopefully home field gives us the edge.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

EastexHawg

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 08, 2017, 10:01:18 pm
True. What's your point though?

People are talking about how TCU will be downplayed if we beat them, as if the media has a vendetta against Arkansas.  The truth is almost no one outside of Arkansas and Texas is placing much importance on the outcome of this game.  It's an interesting matchup compared to the rest of the typical early season cupcake fest, but that's about the extent of it nationally.

vbgonz46

I would bet cash on TCU . Only hoping I would lose that bet . 
Date Registered:  December 10, 2004, 12:43:54 AM

HamSammich

guys,,,, ill be honest. We hog fans tend to be in a bubble. TCU is probably the best team in texas in the 21st century. Minus the UT vince young NC, they have had the best record and the most success. I know we all (myself included) like to bang on them for their 3 star recruits and small size.... but really results are the measure of a big $%&&. They have results.

SO Id implore you guys to try to understand why outsiders think TCU might continue the trend.   Id tell you guys that patterson is a 32458723049523049572340957 times better coach than anything we've had since hatfield but hell you would all say I'm trolling (right musky?).... (he doesnt like opinions that he disagrees with)

Nutt didn't do more with less. Patterson has proven to do more with less. I think we can win this game. But the arrogance from arkansas fans really is what puts outsiders against us. We have not done jack  #$%... yet we all expect to win against one of the better programs in the 21st century....? interesting....

SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC right?

knuckle draggers.

Paul

Quote from: HamSammich on September 08, 2017, 10:26:30 pm
guys,,,, ill be honest. We hog fans tend to be in a bubble. TCU is probably the best team in texas in the 21st century. Minus the UT vince young NC, they have had the best record and the most success. I know we all (myself included) like to bang on them for their 3 star recruits and small size.... but really results are the measure of a big $%&&. They have results.

SO Id implore you guys to try to understand why outsiders think TCU might continue the trend.   Id tell you guys that patterson is a 32458723049523049572340957 times better coach than anything we've had since hatfield but hell you would all say I'm trolling (right musky?).... (he doesnt like opinions that he disagrees with)

Nutt didn't do more with less. Patterson has proven to do more with less. I think we can win this game. But the arrogance from arkansas fans really is what puts outsiders against us. We have not done jack  #$%... yet we all expect to win against one of the better programs in the 21st century....? interesting....

knuckle draggers.
yeah I expect us to win

widespreadsooie

knuckle draggers.

Knuckle draggers lol. This isn't a complex scenario. TCU has been a sexy name over the past decade and the same coaches are coaching tomorrow as last season. Do you have a legitimate reason as to why we lose tomorrow? Asking as a realist, and not out of arrogance like you seem to exude.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: vbgonz46 on September 08, 2017, 10:21:57 pm
I would bet cash on TCU . Only hoping I would lose that bet . 

Why would you bet TCU?

onebadrubi

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 08, 2017, 10:41:50 pm
Why would you bet TCU?

If I read him right, he's saying he'd bet on tcu because if tcu wins he wins money.  If he loses the bet and money then at least Arkansas wins. 

longpig

Hogs are a bigger mystery to the guessers than are the Frogs. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

HamSammich

September 08, 2017, 10:54:58 pm #28 Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:08:51 am by HamSammich
Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 08, 2017, 10:41:00 pm
Knuckle draggers lol. This isn't a complex scenario. TCU has been a sexy name over the past decade and the same coaches are coaching tomorrow as last season. Do you have a legitimate reason as to why we lose tomorrow? Asking as a realist, and not out of arrogance like you seem to exude.

I sort of eluded to it in the prediction thread. The short of it is we will nickel and mostly dime and they will auburn us. Until AA wakes up I'm not going to count on him. Last point is Patterson is the sort of coach that has been game planning for us for a year. He is a midget tank that only knows destroy. CBB as much as I like him worrys about tv shows and Vegas in the offseason.

This isn't the sort of blow off game hog fans think. I think we can win. Will we? Hell if I know.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 08, 2017, 10:02:42 pm
Yes, but that was early. People remember how you finish and expect you to start about the same.  Seem reasonable?

Personally, I don't think we know enough about either team to favor anyone.  Seems like a pickem to me.  Hopefully home field gives us the edge.
Nonsense.  What people remember has no bearing on the game, the public's memory will not make any blocks or tackles tomorrow.  We're playing them early again this season, perhaps you didn't notice, but  we didn't finish the season against TCU.  When we did play them last year, we won.   They were sub .500 for the year, but if you want to treat them like they're voila, suddenly a great team, knock yourself out.

And yes, homefield does give us a obvious advantage.

HamSammich

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 08, 2017, 11:11:15 pm
Nonsense.  What people remember has no bearing on the game, the public's memory will not make any blocks or tackles tomorrow.  We're playing them early again this season, perhaps you didn't notice, but  we didn't finish the season against TCU.  When we did play them last year, we won.   They were sub .500 for the year, but if you want to treat them like they're voila, suddenly a great team, knock yourself out.

Vegas science says home field gives us a 3 point maybe a four point advantage. You sure that's enough? If TCU is now -3 (it may move) does that tell you that 1) every professional gambler in the world is wrong thinking TCU is better or 2) 900k arkansas fans are wrong in being over confident? Interesting

I implore arkansas fans to explore things outside their bubble. We can win. But this game isn't going to be like anything any of you expect. I need Bret to win to be honest for monetary reasons. But we will see.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 08, 2017, 11:11:15 pm

You obviously didn't even read what you're replying to.  I said I don't know enough about either team to know one way or the other.  How in the world do you take that to mean I think they're a great team.  really.  Explain that.

Also, what people think about anything under the sun has no bearing on the outcome of this game at all.  We aren't discussing the affect peoples thinking has.  We are discussing why people think the way they do.

hobhog

TXArcher

FIFY- The Dallas Morning News is spending quite a bit of time on the game just because TCU is the most prominent program in the Metroplex Texas at this point.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 08, 2017, 11:31:19 pm
You obviously didn't even read what you're replying to.  I said I don't know enough about either team to know one way or the other.  How in the world do you take that to mean I think they're a great team.  really.  Explain that.

Also, what people think about anything under the sun has no bearing on the outcome of this game at all.  We aren't discussing the affect peoples thinking has.  We are discussing why people think the way they do.
Kinda what I suspected.  Thanks for admitting it though.

Dirty

If TCU wins, maybe we can start the next coach thread! Coach B is not the answer!

Bacons Rebellion

I see us possibly not matching up well against TCU.

1. They have good receivers. We will start a freshman cornerback with 1/2 game college experience. I suspect Curl will be a shutdown corner for us at some point. I doubt he knows all the tricks yet against TCU's receivers. Patterson can line up any receiver they want against Curl, give him different looks, etc. That's probably good for 7 points, at least, today, and it is not Curl's fault. It's not fair he's put into this positon. I hope he's SEC freshman of the week in a few days.

2. If they can pass on us, they will probably have some success running on us. Hill is fresh and probably won't hesitate to run. I doubt he'll slash his throat today.

3. Our receivers are new and couldn't get open reliably against FAMU. TCU has lots of experience in the defensive backfield. Similar to Curl, I believe these young receivers will be very dangerous very soon. I just hope very soon is today.

4. We're still changing defenses. We just don't have enough experience yet in the 3-4 to be confident of anything. We can be hopeful but not confident.

I see our real key to winning, as trite as it is, in being able to run the ball effectively and repeatedly. That's just darned hard to do in today's game. We did it against Florida last year. We didn't do it against several other teams.

We're on our home field, and that generally helps some. Not as much as it used to, I feel, and it doesn't help if your cornerback is beaten on a hitch and go, or if your tackles miss blocks.

In the prediction thread I have us winning a very close game, but if I'm a more distant observers, I would see TCU with a lot of advantages.

The_Bionic_Pig

I actually don't want anyone paying much attention to us this early....rather slowly creep up the AP each week fairly unnoticed until week 10 or 11 hovering around the top 8-10

This team is too young to handle instantaneous success.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Poker_hog

Quote from: Dirty on September 09, 2017, 07:55:22 am
If TCU wins, maybe we can start the next coach thread! Coach B is not the answer!

It's a huge game for CBB.  A win gives the impression that this year is going to be different.  A loss mean more of the same.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Al Boarland

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 08, 2017, 09:11:03 pm
Ray of sunshine in my book. Most objective, national CFB analyst in my opinion.

I like Finebaum, but he isn't really an X's and O's kind of guy. He's great at understanding the dynamics of a program, but picking games isn't his strong suit.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 09, 2017, 08:10:20 am
I see us possibly not matching up well against TCU.

1. They have good receivers. We will start a freshman cornerback with 1/2 game college experience. I suspect Curl will be a shutdown corner for us at some point. I doubt he knows all the tricks yet against TCU's receivers. Patterson can line up any receiver they want against Curl, give him different looks, etc. That's probably good for 7 points, at least, today, and it is not Curl's fault. It's not fair he's put into this positon. I hope he's SEC freshman of the week in a few days.

2. If they can pass on us, they will probably have some success running on us. Hill is fresh and probably won't hesitate to run. I doubt he'll slash his throat today.

3. Our receivers are new and couldn't get open reliably against FAMU. TCU has lots of experience in the defensive backfield. Similar to Curl, I believe these young receivers will be very dangerous very soon. I just hope very soon is today.

4. We're still changing defenses. We just don't have enough experience yet in the 3-4 to be confident of anything. We can be hopeful but not confident.

I see our real key to winning, as trite as it is, in being able to run the ball effectively and repeatedly. That's just darned hard to do in today's game. We did it against Florida last year. We didn't do it against several other teams.

We're on our home field, and that generally helps some. Not as much as it used to, I feel, and it doesn't help if your cornerback is beaten on a hitch and go, or if your tackles miss blocks.

In the prediction thread I have us winning a very close game, but if I'm a more distant observers, I would see TCU with a lot of advantages.

Just keep in mind that last year, with a porous defense (that must have been coordinated by the same guy who was in charge of the defense of Paris in 1940) that allowed 572 yards, and an offense that stalled at times, we still managed to beat them on their own turf. Both teams left points on the field but we left far more on the field than did TCU. Recall these events from last year.

TCU-1st Qtr-1st & 10 at Ark 26     Fumbles, recovered by Arkansas.   
TCU-2nd Qtr-2nd & 23 at TCU 47   Hill throws INT returned 47 yds for a TD.   
TCU-4th Qtr-3rd & 10 at ARK 18    Allows blocked 24 yd FG that would have won the game.   
ARK-1st Drive, 1st Qtr                 1st and 10 at TCU 22, Incomplete, 2 yd run, Incomplete, we settle for a FG.   
ARK-Beginning of 2nd Qtr             1st and 10 at TCU 10 yard line, 3 yard run, 2 yard loss on run, Incompletion, we settle for another FG.   
ARK-Beginning of 4th Qtr             1st and Goal at TCU 2 yard line, run for a 4 yard loss, run for 2 yards, Incomplete, FG attempt is no good.   

Points left on the field:       
TCU   3 to 10   
ARK   11 to 15   

We know that TCU is looking forward to this game. There are questions about their defense just as we have about ours. They are going to throw and try to run just like us. We are bigger, they are probably quicker. Though each team has a strength that the other may not possess, this probably works out to be a fairly even game. Noisy, almost completely enclosed, RRS with the home opener against a team that is favored to beat the Hogs? Could be really loud and hopefully, something TCU isn't accustomed to dealing with in the B12.

Another close game, Hogs win by 3 to 7.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 08, 2017, 09:06:55 pm
But but Gary Patterson eerrr losing season errrr 12-1........errr

They were hot garbage last year. We were slightly cooler hot garbage, but got lit on fire at the end of the season.
Who you got?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The NewEra

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 08, 2017, 09:16:52 pm

This is true!!

Al Boarland

The reason some are picking TCU is the teams are similarly talented with differing styles. People have a lot of respect for Patterson as a coach and he is known for bouncing back after a bad season. He has an experienced team with the ability to strike quickly.  It truly is a pickem game.

The NewEra

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on September 09, 2017, 08:24:05 am
I actually don't want anyone paying much attention to us this early....rather slowly creep up the AP each week fairly unnoticed until week 10 or 11 hovering around the top 8-10

This team is too young to handle instantaneous success.

To the most part I agree with you, but this team really needs a big confidence boost that a win, and maybe a dominant win over a ranked TCU team would provide. 

bkjbearcat

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 08, 2017, 10:41:00 pm

I think a lot of fans have lost faith in HCBB. Is that legitimate? I don't know but a lot of fans just don't have faith in BB to win games like this anymore.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

GuvHog

Quote from: HamSammich on September 08, 2017, 10:54:58 pm
I sort of eluded to it in the prediction thread. The short of it is we will nickel and mostly dime and they will auburn us. Until AA wakes up I'm not going to count on him. Last point is Patterson is the sort of coach that has been game planning for us for a year. He is a midget tank that only knows destroy. CBB as much as I like him worrys about tv shows and Vegas in the offseason.

This isn't the sort of blow off game hog fans think. I think we can win. Will we? Hell if I know.

TCU doesn't have the size on either line to "Auburn" the Hogs. They could out finesse the Hogs but they aren't going to out power them. For the Horned Frogs, running a power game against the Hogs is a losing proposition and Patterson knows it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogsonHicks

knuckle draggers.

The whole "we beat them last year at their place" reality of things counters much of the waste you typed above.

hobhog

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 09, 2017, 08:59:52 am
If we lose this game today, we need to let Beilema go. It will cement the fact that he can't get it done here. It will reaffirm the fact that we will always be mediocre under him. This is a must win.

Good grief.

Then if he wins, it means he gets a ten year extension. This 2nd game of season game is THAT important.