Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Club Distances

Started by widespreadsooie, October 24, 2017, 08:41:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

widespreadsooie

I think I remember there being a thread on this awhile back but couldn't find it.

PW- 130-145
9 - 150-155
8- 160-165
7- 170-175
6- 180-185
5- 190-205 (best club in my bag)
Driver is around 265 on average

Don't really hit a 4 or 3 and have put my woods up due to lack of accuracy but can hit a 3 around 220 if as solid as my other irons but big if.

I've really worked on my game a lot over the past year and a half and curious where I stand distance wise. I've probably dropped my handicap 3-5 strokes but still really struggle to break 80. Too many blow up holes. Can't avoid 2 or 3 doubles and maybe a triple. Mainly due to driving accuracy but still want to hook the hell out of my irons sometimes. OB/Hazards big issue. Putting my saving grace normally.

More of general golf discussion thread but interested in seeing some distances if you don't mind sharing.

Wooderson

PW-115
9-130
8-140
7-150
6-165
5-180
4 hyb- 195
3 wood- 235
D- 265-270

My driver swing speed is in the 105-107 range. The Mizuno fitting iron has me at 87. Unfortunately my irons are short compared to what they should be. I flip and hit the toe area consistently which causes a drop in distance. Hate it.

Give me liberty, or give me death!

GolfNut57

The difference in the season going from the warm days of summer to the cool days of fall can make up to a ten yard difference per club in distances for most golfers. with that being said.......my summer yardages per club are....

LW - 75-80
SW- 90-100
GW- 110-115
PW- 120's
9I- 130's
8I- low 140's *bad tendency to pull hook the crap out of this one!  >:(
7I- high 140's
6I- 150's
5H- 26 degree- 160's
4H- 23 degree- 170's
3H- 20 degree- 180's
3W- 15 degree- 190's
D- 10.5 degree- 210-230

What is curious is I have two sets of irons and though one has graphite shafts (Infinity) and the other set (Ping G20's) is steel shafted they go just about the same exact distances per club. I have a 4 and 5 iron in the Pings but those are in the closet as I opt to hit the Hybrids (Cobra) instead.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

widespreadsooie

I tend to pull hook my 8 more than any other iron too, interesting.

ricepig

I like mine to be about 1/2 beer ride in my cart from my house.

vandybuff

are you speaking of how far you can hit them or throw them? 
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: vandybuff on October 25, 2017, 07:20:06 pm

Depends if the wind is behind me, or in my face....

vandybuff

majestic

I can hit every club shorter than it needs to be.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ricepig

Quote from: majestic on October 25, 2017, 07:23:41 pm
I can hit every club shorter than it needs to be.

Yeah, but twice a year I'll pure a 5 iron 205 yards right over the green from 185 out, and he proud of it!

vandybuff

But 'shorter' is not really a quality-inhibiting factor imo.  Before I gave the game up 17 years ago, I often played with a guy who had great distance .... and normally could find appx. three of five tee shots. 

hawgon

October 26, 2017, 07:59:14 am #11 Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:29:35 am by hawgon
I take Hogan's advice and unless it is a wedge, always hit one more club than I think I need.  The odds of puring it and getting the exact distance are slim and the odds of not hitting it quite pure and losing a little distance are great.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2017, 02:54:11 pm
I like mine to be about 1/2 beer ride in my cart from my house.

To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I'd never want to be a member of a club that would have ricepig as a member.      ;)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 26, 2017, 08:21:30 am
To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I'd never want to be a member of a club that would have ricepig as a member.      ;)

No problem, you'll never get invited to be a member at Augusta National.

In Augusta, Arkansas.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hawgon on October 26, 2017, 07:59:14 am
I take Hogan's advice and unless it is a wedge, always hit one more club than I think I need.  The odds of puring it and getting the exact distance are slim and the odds of not hitting it quite pure and losing a little distance are great.

Didn't realize Hogan said it but I've started to adopt the philosophy as well.  I don't care how big they make the club face get to get a larger sweet spot, I'll still toe it. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hawgndaaz

its hogville, I hit every club 350.

Hawgndaaz

Can't be above the hole at our place. I club down usually.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 31, 2017, 08:49:42 am
Can't be above the hole at our place. I club down usually.

Pssh, I like down hill puts, that way my second put is up hill!  You have this game all wrong man!

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2017, 10:40:20 am
No problem, you'll never get invited to be a member at Augusta National.

In Augusta, Arkansas.
I've played Augusta National a few times, If you don't have a 30 pack with you, its miserable
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: vandybuff on October 25, 2017, 07:20:06 pm
LOLOLOLOL

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

GolfNut57

You generally have to club up to hit your normal distances on a given hole as the weather turns cooler. Just wish there was a way to know how much to club up on a given temperature. Is it one club per every 10 degrees drop or is it even that you should club up per 5 degrees difference?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

majestic

From 150 in, I can hit anything from PW to 6 iron. It just depends on what trajectory I want the ball to take. I have no use for an iron longer than a 5. If it's 175 or longer, I'll pull a hybrid or 3/5 wood. (Excluding the drive, of course).
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

userpick

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 31, 2017, 08:49:04 am
its hogville, I hit every club 350.

Appears as if you've given up 10 yards since the last time this thread was made.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 31, 2017, 05:23:38 pm
You generally have to club up to hit your normal distances on a given hole as the weather turns cooler. Just wish there was a way to know how much to club up on a given temperature. Is it one club per every 10 degrees drop or is it even that you should club up per 5 degrees difference?

Ive always been told its 3 yards per 10 degrees

GolfNut57

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on November 01, 2017, 09:34:31 am
Ive always been told its 3 yards per 10 degrees

If that was the case it would have to be 30 degrees colder before you need to add one club to hit it ten yards farther. Provided your clubs are ten yards apart. That is hard to believe. 30 degrees is a heck of a change in temps.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 01, 2017, 03:50:56 pm
If that was the case it would have to be 30 degrees colder before you need to add one club to hit it ten yards farther. Provided your clubs are ten yards apart. That is hard to believe. 30 degrees is a heck of a change in temps.

I can't really tell a difference in distance from say 80-90 degrees.  I don't see a drop off until probably 75 degrees or so.  And I've given up playing golf when it's below 60 so F that anymore.  I also think Arkansas drastic changes in Humidity play a part in this as well. 

GolfNut57

Funny thing is humidity in ARK is usually an issue when it is hotter......and the air thinner.

widespreadsooie

Played late this afternoon when it was about 55-60 degrees outside. Didn't notice much distance lost, maybe a bit but nothing worth a club change.

widespreadsooie

Normally if it's really cold for golf conditions. Around 50 degrees, take or give a couple, I'll club up.

GolfNut57

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 01, 2017, 09:25:52 pm
Normally if it's really cold for golf conditions. Around 50 degrees, take or give a couple, I'll club up.

Anything around 50 degrees and it is hard to get me out of the house for golf. Especially if it is windy.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 01, 2017, 11:17:53 pm
Anything around 50 degrees and it is hard to get me out of the house for golf. Especially if it is windy.

Yeah, 50 is pushing it. Sun will help quite a bit but if it isn't out, really not worth playing. Talk about cracked knuckles and frozen ears.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 01, 2017, 05:38:03 pm
Funny thing is humidity in ARK is usually an issue when it is hotter......and the air thinner.

High humidity doesn't add enough distance to the ball for anyone to take it into account.  Some, yes, but it's a miniscule amount.

It just doesn't go shorter like some people line to pretend.

Thunderhog Jr

I don't always hit my sand wedge 195 yds.......but when I do it's from a green  side bunker............ ;)
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on November 06, 2017, 09:38:00 am
I don't always hit my sand wedge 195 yds.......but when I do it's from a green  side bunker............ ;)

Same. Can't hit out of the sand worth anything. I actually will always putt out of the bunker if there's an open lip. I'm not sure if it's a legal shot, may break the grounding the club rule, but nobody I play with knows lol. I've honed the shot quite well to be honest.

Cotton

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on November 06, 2017, 09:38:00 am
You and me both.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hawgon

I played out at Pebble in October and even though it was 20 degrees cooler than it was here, I was a club and a half longer there than here. 

GolfNut57

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 06, 2017, 12:15:33 pm
Same. Can't hit out of the sand worth anything. I actually will always putt out of the bunker if there's an open lip. I'm not sure if it's a legal shot, may break the grounding the club rule, but nobody I play with knows lol. I've honed the shot quite well to be honest.

As long as you don't ground the club before making the stroke it is perfectly legal. Should  you hit the sand with the putterhead first while making the stroke all that will happen is your next shot will also be from the sand.  And hitting the sand first with the putter is no different than hitting it with your wedge first.

Basically, you can use any club in the bag you want in the bunker, as long as you don't ground the club before taking the stroke.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 06, 2017, 08:03:02 pm
As long as you don't ground the club before making the stroke it is perfectly legal. Should  you hit the sand with the putterhead first while making the stroke all that will happen is your next shot will also be from the sand.  And hitting the sand first with the putter is no different than hitting it with your wedge first.

Basically, you can use any club in the bag you want in the bunker, as long as you don't ground the club before taking the stroke.

I didn't see why it would be any different. I know I said most of my buds don't know but have one who should, and he said it was grounding regardless. Maybe he thought I was resting the club on the sand beforehand.

GolfNut57

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 06, 2017, 08:21:00 pm
I didn't see why it would be any different. I know I said most of my buds don't know but have one who should, and he said it was grounding regardless. Maybe he thought I was resting the club on the sand beforehand.

That's why when you see the pros play a shot from the bunker you see them hovering the club head above the ground before swinging. If the club head touches the ground before swinging you have grounded the club and incurred a penalty. Contacting the sand on the down swing as part of the stroke is NOT a penalty. Just don't ground your club of choice pre-swing and it's all good. If your buddy disagrees hand him a USGA rulebook.

clutch

I usually just consider my distances to be about 10-15 yards shorter than what I hit them if I'm hitting the ball well. Usually it takes me about a hole to know if I need to go with the -10 distance or my actual distance.

So my potential distance vs. usual distance has quite a gap.

If I'm playing often, I usually hit my 7i around 160-165. I usually go into a round considering my 7i my 150 yard club though. After a hole or two, if I feel I'm hitting the ball well that day, I'll bump my distances up 10 yards for every club.

kingofdequeen

i just try to wear out the sweet spot on whatever i got.

cosmodrum

Quote from: kingofdequeen on December 13, 2017, 04:32:23 pm

I just try to keep my dummy mark consistent
Go away, batin'

onebadrubi

Quote from: kingofdequeen on December 13, 2017, 04:32:23 pm

We still talking about golf clubs?

Hawgndaaz

i couldn't tell you within 20 yards how far I hit my clubs these days. Sad!

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on December 14, 2017, 07:50:27 am
i couldn't tell you within 20 yards how far I hit my clubs these days. Sad!

i know what direction they're going tho.

Cotton

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 14, 2017, 04:50:05 am
We still talking about golf clubs?
Bahahaha +1 I just spit coffee

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

kingofdequeen

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 13, 2017, 05:23:04 pm
I just try to keep my dummy mark consistent

pretty impressive with an 8 iron.

cosmodrum