Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Recruiting and Beyond

Started by ucahogfan, July 01, 2013, 05:25:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sueie

I could even see it being a rule that you cannot play for a team in the same conference.  But if a kid gets cut from Arkansas. I do not agree that he should not be allowed to play for another school in another conference.  Let the kid play for whoever will give him the opportunity to get better.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2014, 08:25:31 pm
It used to be that way, it was changed to sitting out a year about 5?? years ago.
That new rule where baseball transfers sitting out a year could have cost us the title in 2012.  We had Dane Phillips from Oklahoma State transfer in and he would have given us yet another excellent bat.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sueie on May 18, 2014, 08:19:29 pm
How many pitchers will we lose on this years team to make room for all of the new ones?  I think they should change the transfer rules to where a player that is "cut" from one team should be able to go to another team and play immediately.  The reason being is that if they are not good enough for our team. Why would we worry WHERE they went to play at. I realize that it is an NCAA rule and not an Arkansas rule that stops it from happening. 

What do you guys think about that?

We will definitely have 4 pitchers drafted and potentially 5 with Beeks, Oliver, Stone, Gunn, and potentially Lowery.

We have signed Keaton McKinney, Jonah Patten, Sam Hentges, Kyle Pate, and Ryan Fant as scholarship guys out of high school.  McKinney is a huge draft risk, but hopefully the appeal of playing both ways is too strong for him.

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on May 18, 2014, 08:31:52 pm
I could even see it being a rule that you cannot play for a team in the same conference.  But if a kid gets cut from Arkansas. I do not agree that he should not be allowed to play for another school in another conference.  Let the kid play for whoever will give him the opportunity to get better.

With the scholarship limit, and the number of kids, let them go anywhere. That way, you either use them, or lose them.

Sueie

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2014, 08:59:05 pm
With the scholarship limit, and the number of kids, let them go anywhere. That way, you either use them, or lose them.

I agree.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2014, 08:59:05 pm
I agree with this.  Unlike football and basketball, scholarships are at a premium in baseball and having to redshirt a transfer on scholarship hurts a program.

I can understand not allowing transfers to conference opponents or rivals, but transfers in baseball shouldn't have to sit out a year.

dotnet

Maybe y'all forget what the transfer rule was like.

I remember a while ago zach Jackson played for Louisville... The best school he could go to out of school. He got a lot better at school and transferred to a&m for his junior year so he could shoe his stuff against a big time confernce (Texas, ou, nu, and osu were all good then).

Louisville could never be good because anytime they got a player they'd leave for a bigger program. The perceived bigger programs would always stay on top. It wasn't very fair...

Sueie

Quote from: dotnet on May 18, 2014, 11:00:09 pm
Maybe y'all forget what the transfer rule was like.

I remember a while ago zach Jackson played for Louisville... The best school he could go to out of school. He got a lot better at school and transferred to a&m for his junior year so he could shoe his stuff against a big time confernce (Texas, ou, nu, and osu were all good then).

Louisville could never be good because anytime they got a player they'd leave for a bigger program. The perceived bigger programs would always stay on top. It wasn't very fair...

I am not talking about "transfers" I am talikng about a player being "cut".  Those players should not have to sit out a year.  If the school pulls Player B's scholarship because player C is better.  Then player B should be able to go to ANY school he wants to as long as it is in a different conference.

dotnet

Edit: zach Jackson went on to play in the mlb for a little bit.

I don't like the system now either. What about Wilkerson? If the recruiting class is as good as we think/hope... Will he get many ABs next year? Shouldn't he be allowed to transfer to uca or southern miss and play his last year?

dotnet

Sueie - fair enough. But how many players are actually cut vs just encourages to transfer?

I honestly don't know the answer... And I get that it's just semantics, but if you change the rule then the semantics will matter to determine who is eligible to move...

Sueie

Farris was one that I can think of.  Yet he has to sit out a year.

ucahogfan

Here is a video of Keaton McKinney at the PG All-American Classic last August:

Now remember that the hitters he is going up against are all projected top 3-4 round picks in the upcoming draft and are the best in high school right now.

HogHunk

Geez...looks like McKinney could start for us on weekends right now!  Here's to hoping he actually shows up this fall.

ucahogfan

Troy Schulte ‏@TroySchulteADG  · 6h 
5A baseball semi: Pulaski Academy 7, Jacksonville 0. Blake Wiggins, Hog signee, hit two homers for Bruins. #arpreps

Steve Bernhardt ‏@Steve_Bernhardt  · 9h 
Mounds View LHP @SamHentges finishes reg season 5-0 in 5 starts with 46 Ks in 26.1 IP.Big,athletic LHP with upside.#UAAllAmerica #mlbdraft

PUF Capitalists ‏@pufcaps  · May 17 
Caps C Nathan Rodriguez ends regular season w/ .372 avg., .464 obp. and gunned down 11 of 21 base runners.

Quakes Baseball ‏@QuakesBaseball1  · May 17 
Dinger Alert: Arkansas signee Chad Spanberger gets the win and goes 2 for 3 with a dinger, 2B and 3 RBIs in Granite City's win vs Waterloo

Vernon Tarver ‏@NWAVernon  · 3h 
7A BASEBALL: Kyle Pate complete game 5-hitter with 9 Ks. Now 11-2 on season with 0.60 ERA, and has both Ws in state tournament. #arpreps

Northland Baseball ‏@NCS_Baseball  · May 14 
Congratulations to our very own Darien Simms @DSimms12 for being selected 1st Team All-State TAPPS 4A.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 19, 2014, 10:39:25 am
Here is a video of Keaton McKinney at the PG All-American Classic last August:

Now remember that the hitters he is going up against are all projected top 3-4 round picks in the upcoming draft and are the best in high school right now.

That changeup is nasty. Good gracious.
Quote from: rhames on Yesterday at 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

ucahogfan

May 19, 2014, 11:04:19 pm #265 Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:29:52 pm by ucahogfan
2014 Commitments
1.  Jack Benninghoff - 6-0, 185, OF, 236, 10, Kansas (high school in KC, Missouri)
2.  Luke Bonfield - 6-2, 185, OF, 58, 10, New Jersey
3.  Ryan Fant - 6-5, 205, LHP, 304, 9, Texas
4.  Keith Grieshaber - 6-1, 180, SS, 211, 10, Missouri
5.  Corey Herndon - 6-3, 190, RHP, 500, 9, Arkansas (committed to UCA)
6.  Gavin LaValley - 6-3, 230, 1B, 500, N/A, Oklahoma (committed to OU)
7.  Keaton McKinney - 6-5, 220, RHP/1B, 41, 10, Iowa
8.  Josh Ockimey - 6-4, 220, 1B, 188, 9.5, Pennsylvania (committed to Indiana)
9.  Kyle Pate - 6-1, 175, LHP, 500, N/A, Arkansas
10.  Jonah Patten - 6-3, 200, RHP, 148, N/A, Indiana
11.  Nathan Rodriguez - 5-11, 175, C, 254, 9.5, California
12.  Storm Rynard - 6-0, 170, RHP, 208, 9.5, Missouri  (graduated early, going JUCO)
13.  Chad Spanberger - 6-3, 210, C, 411, 9.5, Illinois
14.  Blake Wiggins - 6-2, 195, SS, 200, 9.5, Arkansas
15.  Mark Clark - 6-4, 190, C/OF, Top 1000, N/A, Arkansas
16.  Darien Simms - 5-10, 160, OF, NR, 8, Texas
17.  Trent Harris - 6-4, 230, 1B, NR, N/A, Arkansas (JUCO elsewhere)
18.  Sam Hentges - 6-6, 240, 1B/LHP, 152, 8.5, Minnesota
19.  Mark Hammel - 6-0, 195, RHP, 476, 9, Texas
20.  Blake Jones - 5-9, 165, SS, Top 1000, 8.5, Washington
21.  Max Hogan - 5-11, 190, 3B, NR, N/A, Texas (JUCO in Texas)
22.  Matt Campbell - 6-0, 170, SS, NR, 9.5, Virginia (JUCO in Texas)
23.  Cannon Chadwick - 6-0, 200, RHP, NR, N/A, Texas (JUCO in Texas)
24.  Rick Nomura - 5-10, 175, INF, NR, N/A, Hawaii (JUCO in Texas)
25.  Tucker Pennell - 6-2, 185, C, NR, N/A, Texas (JUCO in Texas)
26.  Cullen Gassaway - 6-3, 210, 1B, NR, N/A, Texas (JUCO in Texas)

2015 Commitments
1.  Ty Harris - 6-1, 160, LHP, 428, 9, Arkansas
2.  Cody Scroggins - 5-10, ?, RHP/INF/OF, NR, N/A, Arkansas
3.  Jacob Adams - 5-11, 155, SS, NR, N/A, Arkansas
4.  Tyler Ivey - 6-4, 200, RHP, 11, 10, Texas (committed to TAMU)
5.  Drew Tyler - 5-11, 180, SS, Top 1000, 8, Arkansas
6.  Anthony Dahl - 6-3, 185, SS, 461, N/A, Texas
7.  Isaiah Campbell - 6-4, 225, RHP, 297, N/A, Kansas
8.  Brendan Stanek - 6-1, 165, RHP, Top 1000, N/A, Kansas
9.  Grant Koch - 6-0, 185, C, 449, 9, Arkansas
10.  Jacob Schlesener - 6-2, 170, LHP, NR, N/A, Missouri
11.  Blaine Knight - 6-2, 160, RHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas

2016 Commitments
1.  Jaxon Williams - 5-7, 155, SS, 79, N/A, Texas

Signed Players

ucahogfan

May 19, 2014, 11:06:08 pm #266 Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:30:26 pm by ucahogfan
2014 State Breakdown
Arkansas - 4 (1 SS, 1 RHP, 1 LHP, 1 OF, 1 1B)
Iowa - 1 (1 RHP/1B)
Missouri - 2 1 (1 RHP, 1 SS)
Indiana - 1 (1 RHP)
Kansas - 1 (1 OF)
Illinois - 1 (1 C)
California - 1 (1 C)
Pennsylvania - 1 (1 1B)
Texas - 7 (1 LHP, 1 OF, 2 RHP, 1 3B, 1 C, 1 1B)
Oklahoma - 1 (1 1B)
New Jersey - 1 (1 OF)
Minnesota - 1 (1 1B/LHP)
Virginia - 1 (1 SS)
Washington - 1 (1 SS)
Hawaii - 1 (1 INF)

2015 State Breakdown
Arkansas - 6 (1 LHP, 1 RHP/INF/OF, 2 SS, 1 C, 1 RHP)
Texas - 2 1 (1 RHP, 1 SS)
Kansas - 2 (2 RHP)
Missouri - 1 (1 LHP)

2016 State Breakdown
Texas - 1 (1 SS)

ucahogfan

The Hogs leave the continental US to pick up the 20th known commitment of the 2014 class in MIF Rick Nomura.  Nomura is currently a sophomore at Alvin CC in Texas.  Don't know a lot about him except that he hit below .300 as a freshman last year.  That makes 13 different home states from players who have committed to the Hogs this year.  I think that might be a record for this program and players from 15 different states have been committed at one point or another.

ACC Baseball ‏@ACCfinsBaseball  · Apr 16 
Couldn't be more proud of this guy. Officially an Arkansas Commit!!! @rkn27

Coach Weaver and Rick Nomura pic.twitter.com/laZlBrGZHu

TSRN Sports ‏@TSRNSports  · May 17 
Rick Nomura @rkn27 launches a 3 run homerun over the left field wall to give Alvin a 3-2 lead in the top of the 3rd

yraciv

Rick is raking this year, batting .388, .463 obp, .568 slg, 27 bb - 23 ks, and throw in 9/11 on stolen base attempts.  Fielding stats could use some work though, but looks like a great addition.
http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/bsb/2013-14/div1/teams/alvincommunitycollege?view=lineup

ucahogfan

Update on the stats for our 5 JUCO commitments:

-  Trent Hill is having a banner year at MCC-Maple Woods and looks like someone who could be a legit two-way player at Arkansas.  He is currently hitting .409 (83-203) with 16 2B, 3 3B, 9 HR, and 56 RBIs to go along with 55 runs.  He has drawn 26 BBs and struck out 28 times and has stolen 14 bases in 15 attempts.  His team has stolen 74 bases in 80 attempts which tells me that the catching talent isn't very good.  On the mound, he is 2-2 with 1 save and a 4.45 ERA in 54.2 IP.  He has been somewhat wild walking 30 hitters, but has shown a knack of striking hitters out with 84 Ks which is 33 more than the next closest person on his team.

-  Rick Nomura has shown some improvement after hitting below .300 as a freshman.  He is currently hitting .388 (71-183) with 13 2B, 10 3B, (at least 1 HR, but not listed), 43 RBIs, and has scored 45 runs.  He has drawn 27 walks while only striking out 23 times and has stolen 9 bases in 11 attempts.

-  Matt Campbell is currently hitting .333 (71-213) with 11 2B, 5 3B, 3 HR, 27 RBIs, and has scored 52 times.  He has drawn 28 walks, but has struck out 40 times.  He has stolen 15 bases in 16 attempts.

-  Max Hogan is currently hitting .359 (75-209) with 17 2B, 6 3B, 3 HR, 44 RBIs, and has scored 50 times.  He has drawn 31 walks compared to only striking out 23 times and has stolen 22 bases in 25 attempts.

-  Cannon Chadwick is 3-2 on the year with a 1.14 ERA in 71.0 IP which is just nasty.  He has thrown 1 CG on the year and has only given up 45 hits.  He has struck out 68 hitters while walking 23 guys.  His record can be tied to the fact that he has only allowed 9 ERs, but opponents have scored 16 more unearned runs off him.

hawgcraZ

Do we take it as a sign that it doesn't look good for some of our high profile guys if we are still taking JUDO commits?

ucahogfan

Quote from: hawgcraZ on May 20, 2014, 07:53:47 am
Do we take it as a sign that it doesn't look good for some of our high profile guys if we are still taking JUDO commits?
Both Chadwick and Nomura have had excellent springs in JUCO and look worthy of signing with us regardless of how our other commits turn out.  I don't think we should worry about most of this class outside of McKinney and Bonfield.  The draft starts in just over 2 weeks so we should know where we really stand then.

ucahogfan

Keaton McKinney and Keith Grieshaber were both named top prospects at the 2014 National Pre-Draft Showcase.

http://www.perfectgame.org/events/Showcases/TopProspectList.aspx?event=2272

ucahogfan

The Hogs have picked up their 21st known commitment for the 2014 class in Temple JC C Tucker Pennell.

In 2014, Pennell hit .305 (40-131) with 7 2B, 2 HR, 21 RBIs, and scored 19 runs.  He struck out 15 times while drawing only 9 walks and didn't attempt a stolen base.  He appears to be an excellent defensive catcher as he threw out half of attempted base stealers (19-38) this season while only having 2 passed balls.

tucker pennell ‏@PennellTucker  · Apr 16 
Officially signed to play baseball at the university of Arkansas next year #pigSooie

He will spend the summer with Krisjon Wilkerson, Lawson Vassar, Trent Hill, and Cannon Chadwick on a summer league team in Texas.

http://www.bvbombers.com/newsroom/?article_id=972

ucahogfan

Chad Spanberger and Keith Grieshaber will face off against each other in an All-Star Game that will be played at Busch Stadium.

http://www.bnd.com/2014/05/20/3215485/illinois-and-missouri-all-star.html?sp=/99/205/

Kevin

is pennell going to be a sophomore or junior
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on May 21, 2014, 01:32:15 pm
is pennell going to be a sophomore or junior
Junior.

Again, like Nomura, he raised his BA by about 100 points as he hit only .213 as a freshman.

lancer

Don't think worry is the right word, but some who may be taken in the draft, may start to think differently about when they should start their pro career when 20 are now inked to LOI's.  It will give pause for some.  Some may not want to possibly get buried on the depth chart so to speak.  Mckinney, Bonfeld, Grieshaber  and some more may not make it to campus.  But, the draft is a weird thing.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: lancer on May 22, 2014, 11:56:55 am
Don't think worry is the right word, but some who may be taken in the draft, may start to think differently about when they should start their pro career when 20 are now inked to LOI's.  It will give pause for some.  Some may not want to possibly get buried on the depth chart so to speak.  Mckinney, Bonfeld, Grieshaber  and some more may not make it to campus.  But, the draft is a weird thing.

The good ones don't care about a depth chart. In their mind, they are going to come in and play right away and dominate. Some make it, some have a rude awakening.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

ucahogfan

Quote from: lancer on May 22, 2014, 11:56:55 am
Grieshaber has so much to gain by coming to campus.  He was essentially a 5 star recruit as a soccer player getting recruited by the powerhouses so we know he is probably one of the best athletes in his class.  He could be a very high pick (like 1st round) as a SS after his 3 years at Arkansas as he focuses purely on baseball.  He will almost certainly be our starting SS IMO if McAfee signs this year.

Bonfield would almost certainly hit for the highest average since Cox.  He is one of the top hitters in HS this year and should start next year if he makes it.

McKinney could play both ways and has some power in his bat.  Plus, he has been committed for over two years now.  I think that means something.

This class has a lot of great players, but the type of players I think make it to campus.  I also think this class has the type of talent if they all make it to form the last dogpile of the college baseball season.

lancer

Im sure these kids aren't afraid of competition, they probably thrive on it, that's what makes them who they are.  But the fact remains, there are alot of good players who do get buried on the chart so to speak for any number of reasons.  And college baseball is all about winning today!  Pro ball is more about development than winning.  Some may lower their"demands" and jump early.

ucahogfan

Vernon Tarver ‏@NWAVernon  · 2h 
7A BASEBALL: Andy Pagnozzi on mound for Fayetteville.  Blaine Knight for Bryant. Both pitchers 10-0 on season. #arpreps

7A BASEBALL: Leadoff single for Kyle Pate in bottom first. Pitcher then throws away pickoff and Pate is at second. #arpreps

Vernon Tarver ‏@NWAVernon  · 1h 
7A BASEBALL: Walk to Drew Tyler, single by Blake Power and Fayetteville has two one, one out in bottom 2nd. #arpreps

7A BASEBALL: Final line for Fayetteville starting P Andy Pagnozzi - 2 1/3 IP, 5 R, 2 ER, 5H, 3 BB, 2 K. #arpreps

7A BASEBALL: 7 in a row retired now by Bryant's Blaine Knight. Headed to the 5th, 5-0 Hornets over Fayetteville. #arpreps

Vernon Tarver ‏@NWAVernon  · 48m 
7A BASEBALL: Bryant wins state title with 10-0 run-rule victory over Fayetteville in 6 innings. #arpreps

I don't think anyone could have predicted that.  Both starting pitchers are juniors committed to a SEC school.  Pagnozzi obviously to Ole Miss and Knight will be a Hog.  Tyler is a 2015 SS commit.  A lot of future SEC players on the field at Baum today including at least 4 who will call Baum their home field in the next couple of years.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 23, 2014, 07:24:17 pm
7A BASEBALL: Andy Pagnozzi on mound for Fayetteville.  Blaine Knight for Bryant. Both pitchers 10-0 on season. #arpreps

7A BASEBALL: Leadoff single for Kyle Pate in bottom first. Pitcher then throws away pickoff and Pate is at second. #arpreps

7A BASEBALL: Walk to Drew Tyler, single by Blake Power and Fayetteville has two one, one out in bottom 2nd. #arpreps

7A BASEBALL: Final line for Fayetteville starting P Andy Pagnozzi - 2 1/3 IP, 5 R, 2 ER, 5H, 3 BB, 2 K. #arpreps

7A BASEBALL: 7 in a row retired now by Bryant's Blaine Knight. Headed to the 5th, 5-0 Hornets over Fayetteville. #arpreps

Vernon Tarver ‏@NWAVernon  · 48m 
7A BASEBALL: Bryant wins state title with 10-0 run-rule victory over Fayetteville in 6 innings. #arpreps

I don't think anyone could have predicted that.  Both starting pitchers are juniors committed to a SEC school.  Pagnozzi obviously to Ole Miss and Knight will be a Hog.  Tyler is a 2015 SS commit.  A lot of future SEC players on the field at Baum today including at least 4 who will call Baum their home field in the next couple of years.

Never, ever bet against Coach Bock in the State Finals. Ever.
Quote from: rhames on Yesterday at 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

bulldog04

What was Knight's final line?

yraciv

yraciv

Any idea who they replaced Pagnozzi with?  Not that it looks like it would have made a difference, but quick hook for your ace.  Hard to believe he got roughed up 2 outings in a row.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: yraciv on May 23, 2014, 08:05:19 pm
Any idea who they replaced Pagnozzi with?  Not that it looks like it would have made a difference, but quick hook for your ace.  Hard to believe he got roughed up 2 outings in a row.

Pate. He didn't do much better, just slowed Bryant down slightly.

Hogz87

For someone that doesn't even know where to begin with following baseball recruiting, can I get some help?  I'm not one that just really buys into football and basketball star ratings, but is there a recruiting service or two or three for baseball recruits that apply a star rating system or some other rating system to recruits?  Given our history in the 12 years under DVH, I have complete faith in our recruits, but it's stil fun to have an idea of the caliber of our incoming recruits.

bulldog04

Quote from: Hogz87 on May 23, 2014, 09:40:57 pm
For someone that doesn't even know where to begin with following baseball recruiting, can I get some help?  I'm not one that just really buys into football and basketball star ratings, but is there a recruiting service or two or three for baseball recruits that apply a star rating system or some other rating system to recruits?  Given our history in the 12 years under DVH, I have complete faith in our recruits, but it's stil fun to have an idea of the caliber of our incoming recruits.
Perfect Game

Sueie

The Bryant pitcher was so far ahead of Pagnozzi and Pâté it was not funny.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Sueie on May 23, 2014, 09:43:27 pm

Coach Bock. The man is the Nick Saban of HS baseball.

ucahogfan

Perfect Game is definitely the best site when it comes to high school recruits.  They have a top 500 list and then a top 1000, but it is only top 1000 with no ranking like the top 500 have.

It definitely varies by year, but this year I think the top 50-75 could be considered 5 star recruit types.  The Hogs have two in Keaton McKinney and Luke Bonfield.  Generally, these guys are the biggest draft risks.

The next group up to 300-400 could be considered 4 star types.  We have about 10 of those this year.

The rest of the top 1000 could be considered 3 star types.  We have 4-5 of those this year.

Baseball recruiting is also tougher to do than basketball and football.  A lot of these rankings happen with how players perform in the summer and players who don't perform highly in the summer don't get ranked as high.  Someone like Clark Eagan who plays up in Wisconsin and doesn't play big time summer ball doesn't get seen very often and is only given a top 1000 ranking.  He has been hitting like .400 the last 10-15 games.

Plus, projectability matters a lot.  Someone like Benintendi who hit over .500 all four years in high school and starts on the Midland Redskins as a CF at the age of 16 (only the third ever, one of the other two is only Ken Griffey Jr. and the other also played in the MLB), but is ranked like 350 overall because he is 5-10 and runs a 6.8 60.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 23, 2014, 09:48:33 pm
Perfect Game is definitely the best site when it comes to high school recruits.  They have a top 500 list and then a top 1000, but it is only top 1000 with no ranking like the top 500 have.

It definitely varies by year, but this year I think the top 50-75 could be considered 5 star recruit types.  The Hogs have two in Keaton McKinney and Luke Bonfield.  Generally, these guys are the biggest draft risks.

The next group up to 300-400 could be considered 4 star types.  We have about 10 of those this year.

The rest of the top 1000 could be considered 3 star types.  We have 4-5 of those this year.

Baseball recruiting is also tougher to do than basketball and football.  A lot of these rankings happen with how players perform in the summer and players who don't perform highly in the summer don't get ranked as high.  Someone like Clark Eagan who plays up in Wisconsin and doesn't play big time summer ball doesn't get seen very often and is only given a top 1000 ranking.  He has been hitting like .400 the last 10-15 games.

Plus, projectability matters a lot.  Someone like Benintendi who hit over .500 all four years in high school and starts on the Midland Redskins as a CF at the age of 16 (only the third ever, one of the other two is only Ken Griffey Jr. and the other also played in the MLB), but is ranked like 350 overall because he is 5-10 and runs a 6.8 60.
I think the other is Barry Larkin

yraciv

Your pretty much out of luck. Obviously college baseball doesn't strike up near the interest as football and basketball.  Perfect Game is really all you have to go on, and most of their good stuff you need a premium membership to view.  Finding stats are next to impossible for highschool guys and lots of high level recruits don't even have scouting reports.

I'd suggest going over to the fine folks at Hognation. They specialize on all things baseball, some have memberships, and they post updates to our recruiting news there. Here all we got is UCA and whatever people can find on twitter.
http://www.hognation.net/baseball/recruits.html

bulldog04

Quote from: yraciv on May 23, 2014, 09:51:25 pm
Your pretty much out of luck. Obviously college baseball doesn't strike up near the interest as football and basketball.  Perfect Game is really all you have to go on, and most of their good stuff you need a premium membership to view.  Finding stats are next to impossible for highschool guys and lots of high level recruits don't even have scouting reports.

I'd suggest going over to the fine folks at Hognation. They specialize on all things baseball, some have memberships, and they post updates to our recruiting news there. Here all we got is UCA and whatever people can find on twitter.
http://www.hognation.net/baseball/recruits.html
Yeah UCA is like our Richard Davenport of baseball recruiting

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on May 23, 2014, 09:46:25 pm
Coach Bock. The man is the Nick Saban of HS baseball.

Funny you should say that...

[attachment deleted by admin]

yraciv

Quote from: Sueie on May 23, 2014, 09:43:27 pm

One outing...it's baseball. Come on there is no way to discount how dominant Pagnozzi and Pate were this year.  Need we forget, they shut down some national powerhouses earlier in the year. Fayetteville and Bryant are far and away the best two programs in the state. It was just Bryant and Knight's night!  I think it helps Knight has played summer ball with Fayetteville where as Pagnozzi had no idea who most of the Bryant guys are.

Big Nasty 34

Bryant's coaches called the pitches so I doubt the experience of Knight was relevant. Knight has been just as dominate as the other 2.

Still unsure why they don't start Pate.

Great coaching beats great talent in high school most of the time!

yraciv

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 23, 2014, 11:36:07 pm
Bryant's coaches called the pitches so I doubt the experience of Knight was relevant. Knight has been just as dominate as the other 2.

Still unsure why they don't start Pate.

Great coaching beats great talent in high school most of the time!

Baseball is the one sport where I think coaching means very little once you get to the game.  Hell  give me a team of equal talent and I can manage them to a win over a Tony Larussa coached team. Odds are that would be a lot harder with a football or basketball team because of the amount of plays and movement.  Now don't get me wrong, there are a reason that some manager's have great/long success, but X & O in baseball are pretty straight forward as long as you understand statistics and tendencies. 

No knock on the Bryant coach because they have a killer program, but Fayetteville has pretty much been owning the West for years.  Vance Arnold's no slouch himself.

Big Nasty 34

Uh.... Bryant doesn't have half of the talent Fayetteville does.
This isn't the first time a Bock lead team has run ruled a talented team like this. In 2010 they beat Van Buren while mr. Brandon Moore and Tyler Spoon were there.

I think Arnold may be more of a beneficiary of superior talent.