Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What’s happened to loyalty?

Started by Granny fan, December 27, 2017, 05:40:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 27, 2017, 09:24:52 pm
There are several reasons.
None of their family or friends attended Uof A
Other schools contacted players first and Uof A basically ignored them.
Money
Belief that NWA was racist ( this belief started in the 60's when white flighters from South and Eastern Arkansas moved to NWA.

What a load of horse hockey.

hogcards

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 28, 2017, 08:33:23 am
IF that is true of Arkansas then it should be true of all states. Thank goodness it isn't.

Players that are solid commits?
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hobhog

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 27, 2017, 10:34:30 pm
Well you see you know very little of the history. I'm 71 and white. I grew up in SEA and I still live there. I saw first hand the people from SEA that fled with white flight. I know the Black Dr. that encouraged Danny Bradley to go to Oklahoma for the reason I stated. We visited often. Before he died he became more tolerant and encouraged kids to go to the UofA but only to play for Nolan.
I knew Willie Roaf's father and mother, The father was a liberal gentleman. The mother was very pro Black.  The UofA never gave him a sniff. I know John Tate and his dad John is playing for Memphis and is as good as most of our Defensive linemen. Arkansas didn't give him a sniff. You are wrong.

Good grief. Massive generalizations like this infuriate me.

rhames

The only time i care if a kid leaves the state is if he is disrespectful. Even then it's for about one second then I go on not giving a crap what a 18 year old kid does with his life.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 28, 2017, 08:30:24 am
Economic growth is what it is. Your troll game is rather weak with that post.

Kinda funny what communities have won and which have lost since 1965.

If I think NWA is a bunch of snobby flighters imagine what most recruits think?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2017, 09:41:08 am

YEp, the ones that want to act like it is still '65------1865 that is.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rtr

This doesn't help either.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

hobhog

They younger generation doesn't think like you. That's a good thing.

East Clintwood

Money
Belief that NWA was racist ( this belief started in the 60's when white flighters from South and Eastern Arkansas moved to NWA.

And was reinforced when the Arkansas head coach filmed re-election commercials for a segregationist southern senator.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 28, 2017, 10:34:16 am
YEp, the ones that want to act like it is still '65------1865 that is.

Arkansas is basically resegregated

Led by the mass migration to NWA

Nolan was right about that.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Leadbelly

Quote from: Granny fan on December 27, 2017, 05:40:52 pm
Why are so many in state kids flipping?  I'm old, but when I grew up instate kids never considered anyone but the Hogs!

Some on here say the WWW changed Arkansas kids loyalty to the hogs, I disagree. I think it started with the advent and explosion of ESPN. ESPN changed the college landscape altogether, including the recruitment of high school FB and B.B. players.
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

kp72204

Quote from: ricepig on December 28, 2017, 09:11:43 am
No, we play, we win some, we lose some, but we are playing on TV. I guess the players from other states didn't watch us on TV, they just came anyway?
Maybe, but most of the time it's because we're their best offer.

Winning regular will solve most of the problem.  Remember how we often say we cannot get Kids from far away because Mom and Dad cannot see them play.  Someday, maybe Moms and Dads will encourage Kids to stay home where they can be seen play.

Also, the way we recruit local Kids can have a difference.  Often, we are one of the last schools to offer an instate Kid.  What does that tell the Kid?

Also, should we eventually win, kids from neighboring states will start considering us.  Maybe they feel overlooked by the local schools and find love with the Hogs.  It can go both ways.

A teacher said it earlier.  Kids who can pass High School criteria can understand a loser or a winner.  Its human nature to want to be associated with a winner.  We've been offering swinging doors assistants, on a losing team, operating a scheme that is promoted as a run first, then run second type offense and no defense in a community where the coach is given credit for riding herd on the players assuring they don't get in trouble.  Most of these Kids, RIGHT OR WRONG, don't believe they are troubled Kids and, RIGHT OR WRONG, don't believe they need a coach to ride herd over them.  Why sign up with such a mess from their point of view.

Another thing, when Frank Broyles had his choice of local Kids, we were winners, there wasn't WWW, Mom and Dad carried much weight with the Kid, and Broyles knew about Kids that no one else wanted that he believed could help us win.  Many High school QB Kids without offers to anywhere, found their way to Arkansas and played Saftey, Slot receiver, CB or LBer for us.  Frank knew these Kids understood football, loved the game and just wanted to play somewhere.  Frank got the credit for coaching some Kids up when, in fact, he just took coached up Kids and used them in different ways.

MavND1973

Money

Are you the guy that keeps calling into The Buzz with this same nonsense?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Granny fan on December 27, 2017, 05:40:52 pm
Why are so many in state kids flipping?  I'm old, but when I grew up instate kids never considered anyone but the Hogs!
KJ Hill?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

joco

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 27, 2017, 10:23:06 pm
So he went to play in Switzer's wishbone.

Keith Jackson began his career at OU in 1984.  OU was ready to abandon the wishbone and throw the ball because a QB named Troy Aikman was in the same class.  Aikman started as a freshman and they ran a pro style offense.  In October of 1985, OU was playing Miami and a defensive lineman sacked Aikman, breaking his ankle. (I think it was Jerome Brown) OU switched back to the wishbone without Aikman.  Freshman Jamelle Holieway led them to a national title and he wishbone stayed in place and Aikman transferred to UCLA.  The wishbone was effective with Holieway because of the receiving threat Jackson provided.  All this to say that Jackson didn't pick one option program over another.  It just worked out that way due to Aikman's injury.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2017, 06:07:26 pm

Well, one mus ask then, WHY did all the white people move to NWA? Could it be because that is where all the growth and job opportunities were? Ain't alot of jobs in flooded rice paddies, or in soybean and cotton fields.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Grunt

Quote from: MavND1973 on December 27, 2017, 07:20:15 pm
Yes they did, there just wasn't Twitter, Facebook, and the Internet back in the 1920's so you never heard about it.

Houston Nutt
Keith Jackson
Cedric Houston

and the list goes on and on...
Nutt didn't really "flip". He was onboard but had an unbearable relationship with Holtz so departed for osu in the night.   
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Grunt

Quote from: oldhawg on December 27, 2017, 07:36:11 pm
Don't think Jackson flipped, he was a Sooner from the beginning.
Big signing bonus. His son was a good player for AR.

Grunt

Quote from: snoblind on December 27, 2017, 07:38:17 pm
Exactly.  I remember my dad being pi$$ed at Broyles because he let Phillip Dokes get away to OSU back in the early 70's.  I think there was another NLR defensive player that went also, but don't remember his name.  Probably because he didn't end up in the league like Dokes.  In those days it was $100 handshakes.   
Today it's more like 80k$ handshakes.

Inhogswetrust

December 29, 2017, 10:03:37 am #122 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:41:04 am by Inhogswetrust

Segregation is not generally migration by moving hundred of miles away. It is local by moving across town or sending your kid to a different school, etc. Why do you think lot of people have moved out of Pulaski County to counties that surround it. You fail to realize that minorities have moved to NWA. And by the way guess where Nolan lives..................that's right NWA.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 28, 2017, 09:33:35 pm
Keith Jackson began his career at OU in 1984.  OU was ready to abandon the wishbone and throw the ball because a QB named Troy Aikman was in the same class.  Aikman started as a freshman and they ran a pro style offense.  In October of 1985, OU was playing Miami and a defensive lineman sacked Aikman, breaking his ankle. (I think it was Jerome Brown) OU switched back to the wishbone without Aikman.  Freshman Jamelle Holieway led them to a national title and he wishbone stayed in place and Aikman transferred to UCLA.  The wishbone was effective with Holieway because of the receiving threat Jackson provided.  All this to say that Jackson didn't pick one option program over another.  It just worked out that way due to Aikman's injury.

Aw yes someone actually knows some football history. Well done!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AirWarren

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 10:03:37 am
Segregation is not generally migration by moving hundred of miles away. It is local by moving across town or sending your kid to a different school. Why do you think lot of people have moved out of Pulaski County to counties that surround it. You fail to realize that minorities have moved to NWA. And by the way guess where Nolan lives..................that's right NWA.

Benton County: The racial makeup of the county was 90.87% White, 0.41% Black or African American, 1.65% Native American, 1.09% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 4.08% from other races, and 1.82% from two or more races. 8.78% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Washington County: 88.00% White, 2.24% Black or African American, 1.25% Native American, 1.54% Asian, 0.53% Pacific Islander, 4.26% from other races, and 2.17% from two or more races. 8.20% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Madison County: The racial makeup of the county was 95.94% White, 0.11% Black or African American, 1.22% Native American, 0.06% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 1.47% from other races, and 1.10% from two or more races. 3.06% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Crawford County: The racial makeup of the county was 92.19% White, 0.87% Black or African American, 2.01% Native American, 1.19% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.48% from other races, and 2.24% from two or more races. 3.27% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Franklin County: The racial makeup of the county was 96.17% White, 0.62% Black or African American, 0.80% Native American, 0.26% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.74% from other races, and 1.35% from two or more races. 1.74% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Boy, those minorities are SURE MOVING IN!

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 10:03:37 am
Segregation is not generally migration by moving hundred of miles away. It is local by moving across town or sending your kid to a different school. Why do you think lot of people have moved out of Pulaski County to counties that surround it. You fail to realize that minorities have moved to NWA. And by the way guess where Nolan lives..................that's right NWA.

Is it more accurate to say that Arkansas is economically segregated?

Inhogswetrust

December 29, 2017, 10:27:38 am #126 Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:43:43 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 10:19:48 am
Benton County: The racial makeup of the county was 90.87% White, 0.41% Black or African American, 1.65% Native American, 1.09% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 4.08% from other races, and 1.82% from two or more races. 8.78% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Washington County: 88.00% White, 2.24% Black or African American, 1.25% Native American, 1.54% Asian, 0.53% Pacific Islander, 4.26% from other races, and 2.17% from two or more races. 8.20% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Madison County: The racial makeup of the county was 95.94% White, 0.11% Black or African American, 1.22% Native American, 0.06% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 1.47% from other races, and 1.10% from two or more races. 3.06% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Crawford County: The racial makeup of the county was 92.19% White, 0.87% Black or African American, 2.01% Native American, 1.19% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.48% from other races, and 2.24% from two or more races. 3.27% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Franklin County: The racial makeup of the county was 96.17% White, 0.62% Black or African American, 0.80% Native American, 0.26% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.74% from other races, and 1.35% from two or more races. 1.74% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Boy, those minorities are SURE MOVING IN!

You should have seen it 50 years ago...........................Do you honestly think Way-Mart, Tyson and other big companies up there only hire whites.................... At one time where my family now lives the town and school had NO Blacks or Hispanics. It's also smack dab in  the middle of central Arkansas. Now there are some in Cabot. Is it a large percentage, no. Is there more Blacks than there was, yes. One of the Hogs Freshmen is from there and he's black. I live in Bartlett, a suburb of Memphis that is largely white middle class. A lot of Blacks have moved into Bartlett. Doesn't mean that the percentage has gone up a lot since Whites have moved in also. My son lives in Sn Jose, CA. You know that state that loves to brag about diversity and all. Guess what the minority population is in it, yet nobody screams discrimination or segregation there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on December 29, 2017, 10:24:01 am

Now that is a possibility. Same for any state with large rural areas. One of the best classes I had in college was Human Geography. Another was Sociology. They were very educational. There are many reasons why people do or don't move somewhere. Is race still one of them, yes unfortunately. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 10:34:10 am
Now that is a possibility. Same for any state with large rural areas.

probably the same for any state at all now that I think about it.

People tend to group themselves racially, that is not just a "white" thing.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on December 29, 2017, 10:36:09 am
probably the same for any state at all now that I think about it.

People tend to group themselves racially, that is not just a "white" thing.

Not as common as before but yes unfortunately it still happens.

ricepig

Yet....where does he choose to live??

hawkhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on December 29, 2017, 10:24:01 am

Statistically central Arkansas and NWA are about the same in most catagories (average income, home values, and graduates).  Where the two are different is the racial makeup.   Now the rest of the state is considerably lower than these two areas.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on December 29, 2017, 10:48:49 am
it's a dumb sentiment anyway. I know so MANY black folks that live up here that are from mcgee, dermott, little rock, west memphis, j-boro, blytheville, star city, etc. so many.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 29, 2017, 10:52:19 am
it's a dumb sentiment anyway. I know so MANY black folks that live up here that are from mcgee, dermott, little rock, west memphis, j-boro, blytheville, star city, etc. so many.

Haters are going to hate.

Seebs

What a bunch of moronic gibberish in this thread.
Want to see segregation? Go to any High School or college cafeteria where seating is not assigned and look around.

Some fascinating racial history concerning central Arkansas and Urban renewal. Take some time to watch it.

http://watch.aetn.org/video/3000015120/

... and this bit of history in Oklahoma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJbF9SGB3Yk

If you never knew, you should. 

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seebs on December 29, 2017, 10:57:01 am
Want to see segregation? Go to any High School or college cafeteria where seating is not assigned and look around.

Some fascinating racial history concerning central Arkansas and Urban renewal. Take some time to watch it.

You should watch some of the things that happened in Boston when they started desegregation of schools. And that place is the definition of liberal!

Seebs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 11:10:01 am
You should watch some of the things that happened in Boston when they started desegregation of schools. And that place is the definition of liberal!

May be no place more overtly racist than Boston.   This is not a uniquely southern issue.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seebs on December 29, 2017, 11:18:37 am
May be no place more overtly racist than Boston.   This is not a uniquely southern issue.

Yep. That was my whole point. I've travelled and worked or visited a whole lot of the US and some foreign countries.  Racism is everywhere.

hogsanity

the thing I still can't figure out is the sudden fascination with in state players, especially since so few are SEC Caliber players, and the sentiment that all AR kids should stay home, but kids from other state should not do so.

Which would do more damage to the Hog program, no longer signing any kids from in state or no longer signing any kids from out of state?

AirWarren

Quote from: Seebs on December 29, 2017, 10:57:01 am

My wife went to a majority white school. I went to one fairly half and half. She was astonished when I told her that Blacks sat on one side of the cafeteria and everyone else sat on the other side. People still self segregate. NWA growth is a prime example.....and so is places like Jackson, Baton Rouge, Atlanta, and Milwaukee.

AirWarren

Quote from: Seebs on December 29, 2017, 11:18:37 am

WHAT?!?!?!?! RACISM in Massachusetts??? Say it isn't so.

AirWarren

Quote from: hawkhawg on December 29, 2017, 10:51:38 am
Statistically central Arkansas and NWA are about the same in most catagories (average income, home values, and graduates).  Where the two are different is the racial makeup.   Now the rest of the state is considerably lower than these two areas.

That is correct.

Southwest, Southeast, eastern, NEA, and areas of northwest Arkansas not named Springdale/Fayetteville/Rogers/Bentonville all are very similar economically.

It's a proven fact that NWA and Central Arkansas carry this state. And there is nothing wrong with that. Every state has its poor and less fortunate areas.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 11:26:53 am
WHAT?!?!?!?! RACISM in Massachusetts??? Say it isn't so.

It's even in Maumelle...

Lao Tsuie

Quote from: hogsanity on December 29, 2017, 11:22:48 am
the thing I still can't figure out is the sudden fascination with in state players, especially since so few are SEC Caliber players, and the sentiment that all AR kids should stay home, but kids from other state should not do so.

Which would do more damage to the Hog program, no longer signing any kids from in state or no longer signing any kids from out of state?

Somewhere along the line you missed something.  I read your posts and enjoy them mostly, but here, it's evident that a brick in your Arkansas sports foundation has went missing.

AirWarren

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ricepig on December 29, 2017, 10:48:49 am

On his ranch enjoying tending his animals and going to basketball games in the arena that his success built and seeing his protégé at work right up the road.  :)
Hogs up! Covid down!

opineonswine

Quote from: hawkhawg on December 29, 2017, 10:51:38 am

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-live

hogsanity

Quote from: Lao Tsuie on December 29, 2017, 11:30:52 am
Somewhere along the line you missed something.  I read your posts and enjoy them mostly, but here, it's evident that a brick in your Arkansas sports foundation has went missing.

You've been a member 4 days, 2 of which I did not past on at all, but ok..............

What am I missing? The romanticized view of the local hero winning the big game for the Hogs? The story of the generational talent eschewing offers from the big boys like Bama, Ohio St, etc to stay home and play for the Hogs and leading them to a great season?

Look, I get it, if there is a legit sec caliber player in state, the Hogs need to get that guy if at all possible. What I am talking about though is the idea that the Hogs have abandoned huge swaths of the state, not even bothering to look for players in those areas. Guess what, no other P% teams are looking there either because there is no legit p5 talent there.

I love the calls to the radio shows wondering why the Hogs are not looking at Johnny Hometownhero  from bump in the road special rural district 5. They think he'd be great on the Hill because he is just tearing up the 2a southwest, and last week he ran for 265 and 6 td's against double consolidated don't even have a home field to play on and have 14 players on the team. Never mind that Johnny is 5'3", weighs 128 and runs a 5'8" 40. Nope, the Hogs are just showing that part of the area disrespect by not recruiting him.

How many kids from in state are signing with other P5 schools? Bohannan went to Baylor, well, the Hogs signed another QB who is BETTER as a QB right now than is GB, but to hear it here it was all racial and class motivated.

bjbuatamu

It is non-existent in a world where every game of every school is televised and ESPN and other media outlets/sports reporters develop love affairs with programs, coaches, and players (remember RGIII won the Heisman with 5 losses and Freeze was adored by ESPN)

hogsanity

Quote from: bjbuatamu on December 29, 2017, 12:08:34 pm
It is non-existent in a world where every game of every school is televised and ESPN and other media outlets/sports reporters develop love affairs with programs, coaches, and players (remember RGIII won the Heisman with 5 losses and Freeze was adored by ESPN)

Why should a HS student in ANY STATE be loyal to any particular college? What has said college done to earn their loyalty?