Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best O Line Combination

Started by WaltonCollege, September 29, 2017, 09:53:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WaltonCollege

LT is the most important position on the team, we need to move our best player Ragnow there to protect AAs blind side. Then maybe he can settle down and make a throw and not be on his back looking for his ankles every couple plays. Zach Rogers has been here for years and can make the necessary calls - plug him in this week at C, a perfect test against a blitz heavy non P-5 team. My lineup:

LT-Ragnow
LG-Dutchman
C-Rogers
RG-Merrick/Wallace (whoever grinds more)
RT-Jackson

PorkRinds

Wildhog

Still can't believe Rogers will be a senior next year.  It's absolutely unreal that he was never redshirted.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Can't take anyone serious when they leave off Johnny Gibson.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: factchecker on September 29, 2017, 10:42:50 am
Can't take anyone serious when they leave off Johnny Gibson.

That's true. Replace Merrick/Wallace with Gibson. He deserves to be on the field.

oldhog63

I think the QB is the most important position on the offense. Maybe we should move him there.

WaltonCollege

I feel like Gibby has fallen off a bit, I don't see the nasty he was playing with last year.

hawgfan4life

The best lineup improves dramatically if it includes the OL coach in another state.

flynhog

Our O line coach is the problem. Ain't no news here.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

buldozer

lakecityhog

My O'Line would look like this:
LT---- Jackson & Cantrel or Kraus
LG--- Froholdt
C----Rogers
RG---Gibson
RT----Ragnow

I would simply put a TE on that side of the ball with explicit instructions to chip the DE on that side on EVERY play and to be aware of the blitz from that side. After a chip block to slow down the DE the TE would run a short safety valve type route.

swineology

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 10:36:58 am
Still can't believe Rogers will be a senior next year.  It's absolutely unreal that he was never redshirted.

It's unreal that we recruited him and he can't make an impact.

PorkSoda

Quote from: swineology on September 29, 2017, 09:04:21 pm
It's unreal that we recruited him and he can't make an impact.
I'm pretty sure he has made an impact, he has been subbed in a number of times over the years if I remember correctly. 

Edit: his bio has him playing in 3 games each of the last 2 years
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

lakecityhog

Rogers another good example of roster mismanagement  Played in 3 whole games as a freshman!!!
Just think he could be a RS sophomore right now!

Sophomore (2016)
Saw time against Texas State (Sept. 17), Alcorn State (Oct. 1) and Mississippi State (Nov. 19).
Freshman (2015)
Saw action in three contests ... Didn't record any statistics.
High School
An early enrollee who was a four-star prospect ranked as the fourth-best center in the nation by Scout ... Earned a four-star rating and named the No. 32 offensive guard by ESPN ...

PorkSoda

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 29, 2017, 09:17:46 pm
Rogers another good example of roster mismanagement  Played in 3 whole games as a freshman!!!
Just think he could be a RS sophomore right now!

Sophomore (2016)
Saw time against Texas State (Sept. 17), Alcorn State (Oct. 1) and Mississippi State (Nov. 19).
Freshman (2015)
Saw action in three contests ... Didn't record any statistics.
High School
An early enrollee who was a four-star prospect ranked as the fourth-best center in the nation by Scout ... Earned a four-star rating and named the No. 32 offensive guard by ESPN ...
we have lots of guards, not so many tackles.

and I don't see how playing a guy and preparing him as if he will have a chance to play is would lead to less development than him redshirting, where he would see less practice time and no live game experience.

literally grasping at straws at this point.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

swineology

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 29, 2017, 09:15:58 pm
I'm pretty sure he has made an impact, he has been subbed in a number of times over the years if I remember correctly. 

Edit: his bio has him playing in 3 games each of the last 2 years

And yet he's riding the pine and not starting

>:(

lakecityhog

So according to Hogville no coach plays his back-up QB to give him experience, practice should prepare him. But with an O'Lineman, a position that really needs the time to mature physically, they need the "game experience"??? Riiiiiight!!!

YOU keep grasping at straws!

Wildhog

Quote from: swineology on September 29, 2017, 09:26:01 pm

And yet he's riding the pine and not starting

>:(

He's only a center.  You'd have to move Ragnow to get Rogers in the game.

My gripe is that he wasn't redshirted.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

LT - Ragnow
RT - Froholdt
C - Rogers
RG - Gibson
RT - Wallace

Like others said, I think Rogers is one of our best 5 OL, but he can only play Center. Ragnow is more than talented enough to be a LT. At this point, I believe this would be our best OL.

PossumFan

Is it really that easy to move someone from center to tackle? I ask in all sincerity, because as someone like Howard Cosell who "Never Played the Game" I have very limited knowledge of the nuances of offensive line play. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 29, 2017, 09:30:41 pm
So according to Hogville no coach plays his back-up QB to give him experience, practice should prepare him. But with an O'Lineman, a position that really needs the time to mature physically, they need the "game experience"??? Riiiiiight!!!

YOU keep grasping at straws!
lol, you don't think game experience helps a QB?

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 10:36:58 am

Can you even give me a ball-park estimate of how many snaps he played his freshmen year?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 29, 2017, 09:46:41 pm
Can you even give me a ball-park estimate of how many snaps he played his freshmen year?
3 games, not sure how many snaps though.  looked like mostly mop up duty though.

bennyl08

Quote from: WaltonCollege on September 29, 2017, 09:53:49 am
LT is the most important position on the team, we need to move our best player Ragnow there to protect AAs blind side. Then maybe he can settle down and make a throw and not be on his back looking for his ankles every couple plays. Zach Rogers has been here for years and can make the necessary calls - plug him in this week at C, a perfect test against a blitz heavy non P-5 team. My lineup:

LT-Ragnow
LG-Dutchman
C-Rogers
RG-Merrick/Wallace (whoever grinds more)
RT-Jackson

Of the 5 guys, Colton has seem to have done the worst IMO. Give me a combination of Froholdt and Ragnow for sure. Then a combination of Clary, Ramirez, Wallace, Gibson, Merrick, and Rogers, and Jackson if he is actually the best for the remaining 3 spots.

I know that Wallace, Clary, and Gibson will at least provide good enough play. That Merrick and Rogers haven't gotten more is probably evidence that they aren't as good as the others. Clary has the most room for improvement and is already at least as good as Wallace and Gibson, so he'd probably get the edge for me at one of the spots.

Ramirez has played well in limited reps and his highlight reel showed athleticism and power relative to JUCO that was above and beyond what our other players have shown in their high school highlights. That he has consistently been one of the first guys in shows that coaches think he is one of our best of the rest as well.

I'd have him and Jackson compete at the LT spot. I wouldn't emphasize as much knowing the assignments as I would physical ability. Knowing the assignment means you'll be where you need to be, but doesn't say as much about how well you will do what you need to do. Knowing the assignment will obviously come into play, but would be weighted less than physical ability. That leaves the right side of the line. I know we can do well enough with Gibson at RG and Wallace at RT. So, the question then becomes, can we do even better? That's where Clary, Rogers, and Merrick come in. That Merrick hasn't been a factor in the rotation probably rules him out of the starting spot. Rogers was a significant threat to start last year at RG. Raulerson would also have to be in play unless I'm forgetting an injury.

Rogers is the heir apparent at Center and was a threat to start last year. Ragnow got his start at guard, so he'd be a realistic candidate at RG. Probably not a tackle a though. Clary has played about as well as Wallace and Gibson did last year and is a true freshmen. So, he's the most likely to make significant strides by season's end. Would probably take the RG spot depending on Rogers and Raulerson. Gibson is not a tackle. At least not on passing downs, and it isn't even close. Wallace and Ramirez are our most athletic bets at that position with Raulerson having enough, albeit barely, athleticism to make do. Merrick is more athletic than given credit for, but again, hasn't been out on the field with the ones in a live game yet so there's probably a reason.

That's my take based on JUCO/HS highlights, and limited game time for each.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 29, 2017, 09:48:08 pm
3 games, not sure how many snaps though.  looked like mostly mop up duty though.

Played in over 200 snaps on offense over 9 games.

That accounts for a little over 20% of the total snaps over the 13 game season. And 2014 wasn't exactly a year with a ton of mop up time.

swineology

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 09:31:52 pm

And Froholdt  was a DL, what's your point?

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 09:31:52 pm

NO he isn't.

lakecityhog

Actually some services rated him pretty highly as a guard.

lakecityhog

How could you possibly KNOW that Clary is better than Merrick? Merrick has yet to see the field so you really have no basis for comparison.
Remember that this same staff put a converted DLineman at LG and gave him a full season of OJT while other options sat the pine. Please don't even try to tell me that he was our best option last year.

Wallace is a natural tackle so I doubt that Clary and Wallace should even be compared. My comparison for Clary would be with Gibson since Gibson is a more natural guard.

Clary has no business playing right now, he simply isn't physically ready to face SEC DLinemen as evidenced by the ATM game. Another in a long line of WASTED freshman years!

According to Arkansas Razorbacks.com Rogers played in 3 games his freshman year and his sophomore year, so 6 games out of 24 or 26 depending on how you want to look at it. He and the team would have been much better served if he had redshirted!

PorkRinds

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 29, 2017, 10:27:46 pm
How could you possibly KNOW that Clary is better than Merrick? Merrick has yet to see the field so you really have no basis for comparison.
Remember that this same staff put a converted DLineman at LG and gave him a full season of OJT while other options sat the pine. Please don't even try to tell me that he was our best option last year.

Wallace is a natural tackle so I doubt that Clary and Wallace should even be compared. My comparison for Clary would be with Gibson since Gibson is a more natural guard.

Clary has no business playing right now, he simply isn't physically ready to face SEC DLinemen as evidenced by the ATM game. Another in a long line of WASTED freshman years!

According to Arkansas Razorbacks.com Rogers played in 3 games his freshman year and his sophomore year, so 6 games out of 24 or 26 depending on how you want to look at it. He and the team would have been much better served if he had redshirted!

Take the first part of your second sentence and then it will all become clear.

lakecityhog

Read my 3rd sentence and things become clear!

GoHogs1091

LT:  Ramirez
LG:  Froholdt
C:    Ragnow
RG:  Gibson
RT:  Wagner