Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU basketball in top 25 poll

Started by GolfNut57, November 21, 2016, 07:29:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

Ok it is a mid major poll but still.........a top 25 ranking is a top 25 ranking. 

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

widespreadsooie

Georgetown was a landmark win, hope to see them keep it up

GolfNut57

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 21, 2016, 10:57:33 pm
Georgetown was a landmark win, hope to see them keep it up

Indeed it was. Especially since Georgetown turned around and defeated #13 Oregon tonight in the Maui classic in Hawaii.

And ASU beating Chattanooga was no slouch either since the Mocs have already beaten Tenn this season.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

holeinthewall

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 21, 2016, 11:25:12 pm
Indeed it was. Especially since Georgetown turned around and defeated #13 Oregon tonight in the Maui classic in Hawaii.

And ASU beating Chattanooga was no slouch either since the Mocs have already beaten Tenn this season.

Georgetown beats Wisconsin tonight would be a help. They blew the game against Maryland last week.

Seminole Indian

November 24, 2016, 07:17:52 am #4 Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:12:04 am by Seminole Indian
Their new HC, Grant McCasland, and his assistants certainly don't lack energy and enthusiasm, and neither does their team.

Think the caliber of players they were able to bring in on short notice impressed everyone, but still don't think anyone was expecting much this season.

Still early, but you can see that effort is not going to be an issue with McCastland team, something that was not the case under Brady.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GolfNut57

Quote from: holeinthewall on November 22, 2016, 07:17:36 am
Georgetown beats Wisconsin tonight would be a help. They blew the game against Maryland last week.

And as typically happens when ASU beats one of the "big name" teams in a given season it appears Georgetown is going to be a crap team this year and the ASU victory over them diminished. The Hoyas have proceeded to get blown out by Wisconsin and unranked OK St both in back to back games to fall to 2-4 since their win over #13 Oregon.

My bet is John Thompson III won't make it through the season as their head coach.

Dropkick

Not necessarily an ASU fan but I have heard really good things about McCasland from people who have interacted with him. Obviously he is doing a great coaching job so far. Looks like another excellent hire by the AD at State.

Seminole Indian

November 26, 2016, 06:56:03 am #7 Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:09:18 am by Seminole Indian
They have a couple more home games coming up before going on the road to play five games against some pretty good teams (TCU, UT-Martin, UCA, Alabama, and Minnesota), and the attendance has shown there is increased interest in their program.

Their opponent Sunday, Lehigh, ( who is lead KaHaron Ross, a Jonesboro HS product) is another low key but quality opponent, who is  coming off a win at Mississippi State.

Should be a good game.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

j-mann

i think a-st  will be  in the sun beit tourm finals   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

wildwolf

Arkansas State leads Lehigh at the half 53-32!   👍

GolfNut57

Quote from: wildwolf on November 27, 2016, 02:25:01 pm
Arkansas State leads Lehigh at the half 53-32!   👍

Final score 97-89. Opponents made their usual second half run to get back in the game but the Red Wolves held them off. Another nice win though as Lehigh had just beaten Miss St by double digits.

Dropkick

How did the Ross kid from Jbro look for Lehigh?

Seminole Indian

Apparently great, especially in the 2nd half. Scored 21 points, and I think most were in the 2nd half.

The fact A-State was up by 29 with around eleven minutes to go probably allowed their players a little wiggle room to score that was not there earlier, but still a good performance.

Problem for them, and the other teams that lost to A-State, is the Wolves apparently have some guards that can flat play ball.

GolfNut57

Ark State has moved up from being ranked #25th last week to the #20th spot in the mid major poll this week. Go Red Wolves!!!!!

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

Seminole Indian

November 28, 2016, 07:21:58 pm #14 Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:46:22 pm by Seminole Indian
Watched a clip of highlights from the game, and comments by their HC.

Obviously in a highlight clip the players look very impressive, but their HC really impressed me with his post game comments.

I can see why their fans are excited to have him, because whatever "it" is, he certainly has it.  Can't help but listen to him.

GolfNut57

Seminole Indian

McCasland said in today's Jonesboro Sun that freshman forward Jahmiah Simmons is out for a while with "a little foot deal". Will miss some time but not a season ending injury. Did not play against Lehigh.

The athletic Simmons, who is from St. Thomas Virgin Islands, has been just one of the impressive additions that McCasland & Company threw together on the fly in putting  together this team.

Dropkick

McCasland doing a great job, may not be at a mid major long.

Seminole Indian

If they were to continue winning at this pace he certainly could be a one and done coach.

Of course those one and done's in football certainly upgraded their talent in football, and that looks to be the case here.

They have  already signed a couple of more players in the early signing period, that their coaches and fans are excited about.

People up here in NEA are real high on Jonesboro HS's Marquis Eaton, and think he is going to be a star player for them. The 6'2 guard was viewed as a must get by many, because a lot of local players have been going elsewhere and doing very well, and some are already saying the 6'10 Russian forward Mark Tikhoneko could be end up being as good as any player they have ever signed.

GolfNut57

A one and done basketball coach at ASU and in the Sunbelt? I just can't see that happening.... :-\

Seminole Indian

Probably right, but Chris Beard was not at UALR very long.

holeinthewall

ASU has Bama and Minnesota coming up..

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 29, 2016, 09:37:31 pm
Probably right, but Chris Beard was not at UALR very long.

the comment was made tongue in cheek.......Beard was what I was referencing..........

Seminole Indian

Quote from: holeinthewall on November 30, 2016, 07:00:23 am
ASU has Bama and Minnesota coming up..
Got a pretty tough five games on the road after tonight's game, and you can bet that some coaches that may not have really given them much though are going to  pay a little more attention and start breaking down what they are doing.

What impressed me about McCasland in that post-game video was he recognized that, but made it very clear he thinks they can, and in fact will become a really good basketball team this year (A-State fans are like "they are not good now?"), when he figures out what they are really good at and how to better coach them.

McCasland has insisted from the get-go that he thinks they are a special group, but I don't think anyone really believed him.