Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA vs A-State

Started by Seminole Indian, September 21, 2016, 08:46:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Very interesting game Saturday.

Looks like A-State still has a lot of issues to get ironed out but is getting better, I think..

Probably should have beaten Utah St, who is probably as good as any team left on their schedule (A-State HC said they were robbed, and turned in 17 uncalled penalties by the MWC refs to the MWC, and said they would not stop the Utah St DL from using shifts and simulated snap counts).

UCA is playing solid football especially for a team with so many new starters. They have a solid running game behind a surprisingly sturdy line, and they appear to have the talent to pass effectively if necessary. Play pretty good defense to boot.

A-State has not been effective either running or passing, or stopping the run or stopping the pass.

Really other than some special team play they have not been very good at anything up to this point. Passing game showed some signs of life when they put Justice Hansen in, who will start against UCA.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

holeinthewall

Probably should have started the season with this game and the stadium would have been sold out. Now that ASU is 0-3 I am betting the crowd is a smaller. Probably still pull 30k.

Seminole Indian

Right now I'm thinking more like Jonesboro Westside.

Are they any good?

If they are then somebody that is not very good at all.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Dropkick

You really think ASU should have beaten them?

Seminole Indian

September 23, 2016, 06:51:44 am #4 Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:09:02 am by Seminole Indian
Should have beaten who?

Right now their coach said they would prefer to be playing someone that is an auto "w" and UCA is not that.

I had A-State with  9 wins +/-1 , and other than throw out the +1, the talent is there to again get 8-9 wins again this year, just like last year when they started 1-3.

Of course getting a "w" against' UCA is not a given by any means, but they are a pretty heavy favorite.

Their coaches said they think A-State started to gel in the 2nd half of the Auburn game, and Utah State is as talented as any team they had left on their schedule, and they had to go out of their way not to win that game.

A-State has apparently had a very, good week of practice, and apparently Justice Hansen is just what the Doctor ordered on offense.

Seminole Indian

While their HC has said that mishandling the QB situation is the primary reason A-State is 0-3, it appears that they have more issues than that, and most could be categorized as simply not being ready to play (that is just a politically correct way of saying poor coaching across the board), and Toledo and Auburn are probably just better.

IMO the play of their OL has been a bigger issue than the play of the QB. Take out those eight bad snaps in the Toledo game, and the eight false starts in the Utah State game and their record would probably be a little better, because they would probably have beaten Utah State.

Dropkick

Utah State looked like the better team IMHO.

Seminole Indian

You have the advantage I did not see the game just the stats and talked to people who watched it. Not A-State fans I might add.

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

asuato

Hurts more than you can imagine to watch a team that returns almost everyone from a conference championship team to start 0-4 and get dominated in the trenches by UCA. Good win for them. They wanted it more.

kodiakisland

I probably underestimate UCA, but in my mind there should be a noticeable gap in talent between the two.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

ricepig

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 25, 2016, 12:12:35 am
I probably underestimate UCA, but in my mind there should be a noticeable gap in talent between the two.

I'm told it looked about the same, especially some of the line play.

asuato

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2016, 12:16:01 am
It wasn't the same. UCA dominated the trenches on both sides. That's the sad state that ASU football is in right now. No disrespect to UCA as they came to play and wanted it more, but its a bad, bad loss no matter how its presented. AN ASU O-line that returned 5 starters from an 8-0 conference title team was thoroughly whipped tonight, as it has been the previous three games.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2016, 12:16:01 am
I actually watched parts of the 1st quarter, and I though A-State would blow them out. Looked like a mismatch.

Was somewhat surprised by the final score only because A-State had scored 16 in the 1st quarter.

Looking at the stats, and reading the paper this morning, it looks like the biggest issue was A-State could not run the ball, and they had some untimely turnovers.

Looks like UCA just played sound football and hung around until they self destructed.

GolfNut57

ASU's new OL coach they hired since last season really sucks. And their new OC from MTSU, Buster Faulkner is a piece of crap too. Sad thing is the MTSU fans warned us about him last winter.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 25, 2016, 09:29:29 am
ASU's new OL coach they hired since last season really sucks. And their new OC from MTSU, Buster Faulkner is a piece of crap too. Sad thing is the MTSU fans warned us about him last winter.
Something has gone terribly wrong in their OL play that is for sure, and probably has been their biggest problem, and they do not appear to have the answers. 

From reading the paper, before and after the game,it appears they were bound and determined on establishing the running game in this game come hell or high water.

Anderson said prior to the game  they would be the more powerful team, and  I'm sure they felt, especially after the way the game started, they could in fact focus on doing just that.

In hindsight they probably should have focused on doing whatever it took, and not doing so enabled UCA, a solid well coached team with talent, to hang around.

ATLHog

As a proud UCA alum the Bears' win over State helps ease pain of Hogs loss...a little bit.
http://ucasports.com/news/2016/9/24/football-bears-finish-off-28-23-win-over-red-wolves.aspx

BR

Way to go UCA................. A-State go back to the Sun Belt and try and survive
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

FineAsSwine

Was at that game with 4-H. In the 1st quarter it looked like ASU was going to run away with it.

Inhogswetrust

Boise State of the south...........oops. Congrats to UCA.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BR

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 25, 2016, 12:29:16 pm
Boise State of the south...........oops. Congrats to UCA.
Now thats funny...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Seminole Indian

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 25, 2016, 12:00:46 pm
Was at that game with 4-H. In the 1st quarter it looked like ASU was going to run away with it.
I think their coaches did also, and were going to use the rest of the game to fine-tune their run game.

Ben

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 25, 2016, 03:09:08 pm
I think their coaches did also, and were going to use the rest of the game to fine-tune their run game.

ASU qb was very inaccurate at times on his throws. Not sure if receivers were off or if it was all on him but in either case, the passing game seemed disjointed.

Seminole Indian

The Opening Rant section in the attached article pretty much hits the nail on the head.

"The question today as Red Wolves administration, coaches, players, and fans awake to see that there is a morning sun after last nights embarrassing 28-23 loss to FCS in-state foe UCA, is just what is going on in Jonesboro? "

Also interesting; "The player are having a closed door meeting on Sunday to address internal issues that are obviously preventing this team from reaching its potential and can hopefully find a way to help the coaching staff right the ship."

That's good because their fans think this coaching staff needs all the help it can get.

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/9/25/13047544/central-arkansas-stuns-arkansas-state-28-23-the-post-mortem-red-wolves-bears-southland-sunbelt

FineAsSwine

Wow, looked at the stats and saw where ASU qb passed for over 400 yards. I know he hit some long passes in the first half but their drives often stalled short of the endzone. In spite of all those yards, it still seemed to me that he missed some easy throws.

Guess I had too many drinks in the tailgating. Left after the first half with ASU ahead 16-13. Got home and was shocked when I heard the score.

Seminole Indian

September 26, 2016, 11:22:12 am #26 Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:12:47 pm by Seminole Indian
I was shocked by several scores Sunday morning after watching or catching the 1st quarter scores.

Again this should have been a fairly easy (not real easy UCA is a pretty good team) win for them, and  IMO had Anderson taken a different approach to this game, or any of the previous three they would probably be at worse 1-3, and most likely 2-2.  Instead of saying  they had an advantage in power, speed, depth, and an advantage in space over UCA, at 0-3 he should have been painting a different picture, but he does not seem willing to do so.

Losing all three QB's, their RB, TE, and a couple of star WR's, plus their OC, OL, and RB coaches gave him every opportunity to temper expectations, and because of their talent still be optimistic, but he chose not too.

FineAsSwine

With all of ASU's recent success, they were bound to have a less than stellar season at some point and they have done a great job transitioning between coaches while maintaining a high level of success. Hopefully, this is just a blip on the radar.

Seminole Indian

September 26, 2016, 01:36:59 pm #28 Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:35:51 pm by Seminole Indian
This probably should not have been it, and may still not, because they have talent.

Everyone but apparently their HC knew that getting through those first four games at 3-1, or 2-2 would be great, and 1-3 very possible.

I think he is a pretty good coach but Anderson, is totally responsible for creating the toxic environment they now find themselves in, and that is a career killer.

He is very lucky he is at a school (most schools not in a P5 Conference are such schools) that cannot afford not to stay the course.

FineAsSwine

Let's hope this is a wakeup call that results in the ship being righted. Close out with 7 or 8 wins and a bowl and then the early season slip ups could be seen as an aberration.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 26, 2016, 12:16:56 pm
With all of ASU's recent success, they were bound to have a less than stellar season at some point and they have done a great job transitioning between coaches while maintaining a high level of success. Hopefully, this is just a blip on the radar.

A revolving door in the head coaching office is not conducive to consistent winning......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seminole Indian

September 29, 2016, 07:51:38 am #31 Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:03:04 am by Seminole Indian
Only problem is they won with the one and done's, and their HC told their fan base anything less than Dallas should be considered a disappointment for this talented team. He is certainly getting what he asked for.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 29, 2016, 07:51:38 am
Only problem is they won with the one and done's, and their HC told their fan base anything less than Dallas should be considered a disappointment for this talented team. He is certainly getting what he asked for.

But one and done's will not keep it as consistent over years.

Jackrabbit Hog

Randy Huffstickler threw for 278 yards and 3 TDs; two of them to Ronnie Mallett and the other to Tom McConnaghey.  Vaughn Edwards ran for almost 200 yards.  Mike Painter had 2 sacks and Monte Coleman had 14 tackles. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.