Ex-MSU QB Reaves seeks another chance after series of missteps

Started by Bomis Hawg, May 21, 2005, 01:43:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomis Hawg

Stephen Reaves looks for a second chance

May 21, 2005

BY JEMELE HILL
ORLANDO SENTINEL SPORTS COLUMNIST

Before Stephen Reaves resumes his football career, there's one place his father, John, wants him to go.

An Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

John doesn't fear his quarterback son has an alcohol problem, even though Stephen was charged with drunken driving a couple of weeks ago and it was his second alcohol-related offense at Michigan State.

John feels Stephen might need a not-so gentle, but supportive, reminder about who his father used to be -- a person who played quarterback in the NFL but also developed a cocaine habit.

"He's not a party animal like I was," said John, who has been sober for years and became a real estate success in Tampa. "He's a good person. Good kids get stopped for DUIs."

When Stephen's name came across the ESPN blotter, most thought, like father, like son.

John, one of the most prolific passers in University of Florida history, was charged twice with drunken driving and another time with marijuana possession.

---------------

Florida, Miami, FAU, and Central Florida have all showed interest in this kid.  He was a fairly highly recruited out of HS.  Jeff Smoker, former Michigan State quarterback, also had a run in with a DWI.  He came back and played well.  He was drafted after admitting his substace abuse while there.  I hope the kid gets things straight.