Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Trappers Association Fur Sale

Started by Wayne Watson, February 13, 2013, 09:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Watson

The Arkansas Trappers Association will hold its 2013 Fur Sale on February 16, 2013 at the Pope County Fairgrounds, 500 S Knoxville, Russellville, AR 72801. Google Map the address for location and driving directions.

Those who wish to wait until the day of the Fur Sale will receive lot #s on a first come, first serve basis. Remember that participation in the ATA Fur Sale is a benefit of ATA Membership. Your membership must be current as of the day of the sale. A membership form is included with this package for your convenience.

Questions may be directed to the "ATA Sec/Treas" at secretary@arkansastrappers.org.

The host motel in the Russellville area is :
Quality Inn (AR049) Exit 84, I40
3019 E. Parkway Dr.
Russellville, AR, US, 72802
* Phone: (479) 967-7500
* Fax: (479) 967-6314
$58.49 + Tax per Night

Call and ask for the Arkansas Trappers Association Rate.

We look forward to seeing each of you there.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

philobeddoe

Hey Wayne.  Do you foresee fur prices ever going up to where they were...say...30 years ago?  I used to get $25-$30 for big coon pelts when I was a youngster.  Last I checked, $7-$8 was the going rate for racoon  pelts.

99toLife

Quote from: philobeddoe on February 15, 2013, 03:35:36 pm
Hey Wayne.  Do you foresee fur prices ever going up to where they were...say...30 years ago?  I used to get $25-$30 for big coon pelts when I was a youngster.  Last I checked, $7-$8 was the going rate for racoon  pelts.

It will never get back to where it was.

deshahawg

I had a great time the year that I was able to go.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: philobeddoe on February 15, 2013, 03:35:36 pm

Prices are on the way up.  I'll post prices when I get the break down.  The Russeville sale had over $79,000 change hands and the sale at Malvern on the 9th had a little over $101,000.

The auction houses up north are in short supply.  With the increase in economy in China, look for prices to stay pretty good until orders are met.

I saw some bobcats go for more than $200.  Otters were $80-90.

Just got the results from Malvern:

Full view at http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/wayne1958_photos/SWAFT_zpse0b92b41.jpg
We don't rent pigs

Virgil

Quote from: 99toLife on February 15, 2013, 03:43:03 pm
It will never get back to where it was.

I'd like to see those frogs roll their eyes  one time!!  Can you make that happen?  lol
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

DeltaBoy

PETA about ruined the US Fur Market but China loves Fur!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HuntinHog

Wow, those prices make it a worthwhile hobby (meaning as long as I make enough to pay for traps and dispatch bullets).  But I'd need some guidance on how to care for hides between skinning and selling.

deshahawg

Can't you just skin a coon and put it in the freezer until you wanna sell it?

Wayne Watson

Quote from: deshahawg on February 21, 2013, 05:34:33 pm
Can't you just skin a coon and put it in the freezer until you wanna sell it?

Sure can.  However, you don't want it to get freezer burned.

Now...a bobcat or otter will sell as good or better not skinned, just frozen.
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Shoot I remember Mepps playing good money for Squirrel Tails.  I doubt we will ever see the fur market as good as it was in the 70's and part of the 80's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

deshahawg

Hopefully this thing in China will pick up and we can start shipping furs to them. They can ship us cheap stuff that's sold at wally world and we can ship them furs back!

Wayne Watson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 22, 2013, 03:18:33 pm
Shoot I remember Mepps playing good money for Squirrel Tails.  I doubt we will ever see the fur market as good as it was in the 70's and part of the 80's.

I saw squirrel tails for 10 cents last Saturday.

A good read on the current market is at http://www.nafa.ca/11450.
We don't rent pigs

deshahawg

I wish I had grown up when fur prices were better. I would have had a hay day and made a little money.

Hammibal Lecter

Dang, I had a whole sack of nutria rats to sell!  ;)
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

OldCoot

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 22, 2013, 02:52:48 pm
Sure can.  However, you don't want it to get freezer burned.

Now...a bobcat or otter will sell as good or better not skinned, just frozen.

Wayne, I thought they didn't like the old "split" skinning anymore.  Has to be a full case, right?

I just read Guthrie's "The Big Sky"; it was well worth the read.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Hogbeaver on April 11, 2013, 10:11:53 pm
Wayne, I thought they didn't like the old "split" skinning anymore.  Has to be a full case, right?

I just read Guthrie's "The Big Sky"; it was well worth the read.

Pretty much correct.  If you're going to finish your fur, case skin everything but a beaver. 
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Good to know but with Beaver we skin them only to EAT them.

kingofdequeen

OldCoot

Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 21, 2013, 10:17:04 am

That's a big beaver.  I've read the Chiinese are really going to make the market hot again with all their disposable income.  Ain't no PETA going to tell a china-man his wife can't have a fur coat.