Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

17 Year Old Autistic Teen picks 1st two rounds 100% Correct

Started by ThrillaHog, March 23, 2010, 04:01:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThrillaHog

thirtythree

That is some cool stuff right there. Think he'll be wrong on Purdue, but who am I to say. I picked Kansas.

RockChalkJayhawk

Heck with that, can he pick the winner in the 6th at Oaklawn!!  ;)

Hog Milanese

mmhogs17

I had a completely perfect bracket when Kansas won it in 2008

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Beaverfever

mmhogs17

roundball

I honestly think Xavier will win the whole thing! They match up with Duke and have fantastic guard play!

Beaverfever

Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 23, 2010, 04:13:23 pm
YEAAAAAAAAAA i guarantee you i did.
Proof or something man.  Surely you told some sort of media outlet. 

ua_hogs

Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 23, 2010, 04:06:43 pm
I had a completely perfect bracket when Kansas won it in 2008

So did I, filled in each team after they won.

The odds of a perfect bracket are one in nine million trillion. You are 60 billion times more likely to win the mulit-state powerball.

claycohog

My 2 year old son has just been diagnosed with autism.  It's been a tough week.

SupaCrawf

Hate to hear that cchog.  Look into the food based treatments, such as limiting / eliminating certain coloring agents, etc.  We have a family friend with a youngster, diagnosed w/ autism, who had great success with this.  I'm no expert, but hopefully you can find one.
I'm kind of a big deal.

thirtythree

Quote from: claycohog on March 23, 2010, 04:26:46 pm

hate to hear it.

roundball

hang in there with him

GiantFoamFingerMak

There was an article in the usa today a couple of days before the tourney started and the odds of picking all the games correctly were crazy...here is part of the article and the link is posted below:

"Either way, the odds are certainly daunting:

The number of ways to fill out a bracket, once the play-in game is out of the way: 9,223,372,036,854,775,808.

You are much more likely to win a multimillion-dollar lottery on consecutive weekends than getting a perfect bracket.

It would be easier to sit down today and correctly predict the winner of each of the next 12 World Series.

It would be the same as correctly predicting the winner of every presidential election (Democrat vs. Republican) through the year 2260.

It is virtually impossible to pick all of the first-round games correctly. The number of ways for the first round to turn out: 4,294,967,296."

Link:  http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/03/easier-to-win-the-lottery-twice-than-pick-a-perfect-ncaa-tournament-bracket/1

Pretty amazing stuff...
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

ThrillaHog

Quote from: GiantFoamFingerMak on March 23, 2010, 04:47:19 pm
There was an article in the usa today a couple of days before the tourney started and the odds of picking all the games correctly were crazy...here is part of the article and the link is posted below:

"Either way, the odds are certainly daunting:

The number of ways to fill out a bracket, once the play-in game is out of the way: 9,223,372,036,854,775,808.

You are much more likely to win a multimillion-dollar lottery on consecutive weekends than getting a perfect bracket.

It would be easier to sit down today and correctly predict the winner of each of the next 12 World Series.

It would be the same as correctly predicting the winner of every presidential election (Democrat vs. Republican) through the year 2260.

It is virtually impossible to pick all of the first-round games correctly. The number of ways for the first round to turn out: 4,294,967,296."

Link:  http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/03/easier-to-win-the-lottery-twice-than-pick-a-perfect-ncaa-tournament-bracket/1

Pretty amazing stuff...

It is simply amazing...i would really like to know what formula he used to pick...maybe just great luck..

DEVIL DOG HOG

Had this with our youngest son. He has his associates degree from UACCM.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

claycohog

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on March 23, 2010, 06:06:34 pm
Had this with our youngest son. He has his associates degree from UACCM.
He's my youngest also.  We now have the diagnosis all we can do now is move forward and help him in any possible way we can.  He's a sweet little boy that just needs some help.  No stone left unturned at this point.

Porkatarian

Quote from: claycohog on March 23, 2010, 06:56:13 pm
He's my youngest also.  We now have the diagnosis all we can do now is move forward and help him in any possible way we can.  He's a sweet little boy that just needs some help.  No stone left unturned at this point.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family my friend.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

WilsonHog

Thoughts and prayers my friend.

thirtythree

Quote from: claycohog on March 23, 2010, 06:56:13 pm

My youngest was diagnosed with ADHD/ADD. We didn't catch it until he was already 2/3 through kindergarten. We are battling to catch him up and may never get there. All any of us can do is our best for our kids.

Prayers are with ya.

LRMedHawg

Sorry to hear that cchog.  It takes a strong man and a great father to be there with his son through the good and bad times and I am sure you are one.  Good luck working things out.

Quote from: thirtythree on March 23, 2010, 07:08:34 pm

My youngest was diagnosed with ADHD/ADD. We didn't catch it until he was already 2/3 through kindergarten. We are battling to catch him up and may never get there. All any of us can do is our best for our kids.

Prayers are with ya.

Children are truly remarkable in what they can overcome.  They can overcome things you and I could never dream of.  This is one of the reasons that I really want to work with children for my career.  Good luck going forward with your son also and don't get too discouraged, sometimes these things just take time.

thirtythree

Quote from: LRMedHawg on March 23, 2010, 07:15:16 pm
Sorry to hear that cchog.  It takes a strong man and a great father to be there with his son through the good and bad times and I am sure you are one.  Good luck working things out.

Children are truly remarkable in what they can overcome.  They can overcome things you and I could never dream of.  This is one of the reasons that I really want to work with children for my career.  Good luck going forward with your son also and don't get too discouraged, sometimes these things just take time.

It is hard. We are trying to keep him engaged in extra caricular activities, but he is having trouble grasping some of it as he is getting older tdue to his comprehension ability. i don't get it though. He is very remarkable when it comes to the playstation, but, sports, he has trouble. He loves them, but just can't comprehend it.

Good luck in your endeavors with working with kids. We are very lucky to have teachers at his school that are very positive.

LRMedHawg

Quote from: thirtythree on March 23, 2010, 07:20:13 pm
It is hard. We are trying to keep him engaged in extra caricular activities, but he is having trouble grasping some of it as he is getting older tdue to his comprehension ability. i don't get it though. He is very remarkable when it comes to the playstation, but, sports, he has trouble. He loves them, but just can't comprehend it.

Good luck in your endeavors with working with kids. We are very lucky to have teachers at his school that are very positive.

ADHD children tend to love video games and tend to be very good at them.  As one ADHD child put it, they have built in distractions that are part of the game so I am able to fully concentrate on it.  So that is pretty common for your son to be good there.  That is unfortunate about sports, they are important for developing interpersonal skills ect. 

I really hope though that the school is able to get him caught up academically.  ADHD children have tougher paths to take but they can make it.  My wife is in law school with a girl who has had ADHD since childhood (real ADHD often persists into adulthood) and she is about to graduate.  Keep fighting the good fight man.

thirtythree

Quote from: LRMedHawg on March 23, 2010, 07:25:56 pm
ADHD children tend to love video games and tend to be very good at them.  As one ADHD child put it, they have built in distractions that are part of the game so I am able to fully concentrate on it.  So that is pretty common for your son to be good there.  That is unfortunate about sports, they are important for developing interpersonal skills ect. 

I really hope though that the school is able to get him caught up academically.  ADHD children have tougher paths to take but they can make it.  My wife is in law school with a girl who has had ADHD since childhood (real ADHD often persists into adulthood) and she is about to graduate.  Keep fighting the good fight man.

Thanks.

Hog Milanese

Sorry to hear about the problems you're all having with your kids. I pray all goes well with them.

claycohog

Thanks for all the thoughts, prayers, and kind words from everyone.  I now feel as if I have hijacked the thread, it wasn't my intention, just kinda hit home.

GiantFoamFingerMak

Quote from: LRMedHawg on March 23, 2010, 07:25:56 pm

Med...can kids with adhd symptoms grow out of it?  I haven't gotten my son diagnosed as he is doing great in school, but I have often wondered if he is just being a kid or may have something.  He is 12 now.

I also have a 10 yr. old stepson that has aspurgers.  Totally different deal (I think)....
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

igoham

Quote from: thirtythree on March 23, 2010, 07:08:34 pm

Prayers are with ya.

33 because I know you will love an support him, he will make it. I didn't get diagnosed with my ADHD/ADD until I was 19. I made it through high school and got into the UA before I even knew ADD was my problem. Kindergarten is actually early to catch it compared to most of my friends that have it. I believe not only will he catch up, but will eventually excel now that you guys know the problem.
"He hit that one from the parking lot!"

thirtythree

Quote from: GiantFoamFingerMak on March 23, 2010, 07:33:26 pm
Med...can kids with adhd symptoms grow out of it?  I haven't gotten my son diagnosed as he is doing great in school, but I have often wondered if he is just being a kid or may have something.  He is 12 now.

I also have a 10 yr. old stepson that has aspurgers.  Totally different deal (I think)....

My son will be 10 in October. He has gradually gotten a little worse (academically) each year. We have been told to expect that. We do extra work and summer school every year trying to stay as close to his grade level as possible. He is very good at spelling (lower levelwords than what his regular classmates do) and math (which he is pretty much on par with his classmates). When it comes to the math subject where reading is involved that is where he struggles. He is in the 3rd grade right now and is on about a low 2nd grade reading level. I almost feel like Clay right now. This is pretty tough.

I would advise you to have him tested. It would never hurt to go through it. They don't hook up wires or anything like that. Basically ask questions and such out of the parents presence.

thirtythree

Quote from: igoham on March 23, 2010, 07:36:07 pm
33 because I know you will love an support him, he will make it. I didn't get diagnosed with my ADHD/ADD until I was 19. I made it through high school and got into the UA before I even knew ADD was my problem. Kindergarten is actually early to catch it compared to most of my friends that have it. I believe not only will he catch up, but will eventually excel now that you guys know the problem.

If any of you knew him he is such a great kid. He does know the Razorback fight song though. His first football game was Miracle on Markham II and he still bring up the LSU player that kicked the football and got the penalty. His biggest thing was that everyone was laughing at him (even him). That's just freaking awesome.

LRMedHawg

Quote from: GiantFoamFingerMak on March 23, 2010, 07:33:26 pm

Understand that I am a medical student and as such my current experience is limited but I am interested in Child Psych as a career and have gained some experience in this field.

The idea of a child growing out of ADHD has been somewhat controversial in recent years.  It used to be thought that everyone did and that this was a childhood disease.  But the more recent thought from the Child Psych's I have talked to feel that most people who truly have ADHD will have it for life.  It is just that in adulthood they are more adept at coping.  If you think about it, they can now choose their career and activities as compared to in school, and that helps.  So long answer is that they don't exactly grow out of it, but they are very good at coping and tend to do really well, especially when they have good support around them.

Asberger's is a different animal all together.  It is actually on the same disease spectrum as Autism.  It is just a very mild form of it that typically only affects speech, language, and certain social interactions.  Asbergers can be hard to diagnose because people with it are very high functioning.  They tend to have one hobby/interest that they hold onto for life, such as planes, and this can actually be a benefit in their career.  Hope this helps.

LRMedHawg

33, no doubt that is tough to handle as a parent, I feel for all you guys.  Out of curiosity, what type of doctor manages your son's ADHD.  Most Fam docs are well equipped to handle it, but if he continues to have issues I would recommend trying to see a Child Psych.  They are experts on this, but there are very few in the state which makes it tough to get the appointment.

I have no doubts that you have a great kid.  Keep hanging in there and hopefully you guys will see some better progress although I am sure your family has already been doing great for him.

LRMedHawg

Quote from: claycohog on March 23, 2010, 07:33:19 pm
Thanks for all the thoughts, prayers, and kind words from everyone.  I now feel as if I have hijacked the thread, it wasn't my intention, just kinda hit home.

No worries man, personally it is nice to be removed from the insanity that is our bball program and be brought back to reality.

igoham

Quote from: thirtythree on March 23, 2010, 07:42:18 pm
If any of you knew him he is such a great kid. He does know the Razorback fight song though. His first football game was Miracle on Markham II and he still bring up the LSU player that kicked the football and got the penalty. His biggest thing was that everyone was laughing at him (even him). That's just freaking awesome.

you just discribed what I hope my kids are like

thirtythree

March 23, 2010, 08:19:52 pm #36 Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:22:38 pm by thirtythree
Quote from: LRMedHawg on March 23, 2010, 07:59:53 pm
33, no doubt that is tough to handle as a parent, I feel for all you guys.  Out of curiosity, what type of doctor manages your son's ADHD.  Most Fam docs are well equipped to handle it, but if he continues to have issues I would recommend trying to see a Child Psych.  They are experts on this, but there are very few in the state which makes it tough to get the appointment.

I have no doubts that you have a great kid.  Keep hanging in there and hopefully you guys will see some better progress although I am sure your family has already been doing great for him.

We went through Children's Hospital. They were great with him. As of now we don't have to make a return trip there unless absolutely necessary. He only takes medicine on school days to help with his focus. We kind of let the hyperactivity play out with him being a kid. We control it pretty well and he doesn't get into trouble. As long as it stays that way then we don't have to medicate him for that.

Don't really want to go into too much detail, but the only problem we had was last year during school. We really believe that has a little to do with him being further behind than he probably would have been. We took action and got it fixed. He is with great teachers right now and he seems to be doing a lot better this year (while still pretty behind).

Oh, almost forgot. We go through our PCP to get his meds. Every 3 months we have to have blood drwn to test his kidneys and stuff. He hates the needles too, but he has been pretty brave about it. he likes the suckers at the end of it.

LRMedHawg

Sounds like you guys are doing very good by him and have a great plan setup.  I don't mean to pry, sorry that I did there.  Good luck to you and your son and remember all will work out even though it can be tough at times.

thirtythree

Quote from: LRMedHawg on March 23, 2010, 08:26:58 pm
Sounds like you guys are doing very good by him and have a great plan setup.  I don't mean to pry, sorry that I did there.  Good luck to you and your son and remember all will work out even though it can be tough at times.

It's all good. It never hurts to get perspective from others that have experience/training/knowledge. Heck, you may know something that we may have missed. No problem what so ever.

thanks for taking the time.

HogBreath

Quote from: claycohog on March 23, 2010, 07:33:19 pm
It's quite okay if you did, ClayCo, sorry to hear of your son's and other's trouble, but you guys are among friends here, and we want the best for both you and your children.  God's speed in finding what is best for you and your families.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Ex-Trumpet

Autism is so drastically different in each afflicted...my oldest is autistic and is the easiest of the three to care for!

It's also been said that Picasso and Einstein were believed to be autistic, so, autism is not necessarily a bad thing--just sometimes our perspective of it!  (I bet at least 50% of the IT guys are autistic, too!  :)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

CPO Hog

My 11 YO daughter was diagnosed with ADD, we start meds this weekend. During testing she was off the charts in most areas until she was given time limits to complete task. In most areas she would test out at HS or even adult level without time limit, and 3rd grade level with time limit. Her IQ tested out at 116, but the doc said it was misleading due to the time limit issue. She can be given the exact same math homework 2 nights in a row and it's just as hard the second night as the first - bedtime is the time limit. Saturday mornings school work is much easier for her - no time limit. I really don't know what expectations to have for the effect the meds will have. Can anyone here give me tips on what to expect and what to look out for?

thirtythree

Quote from: CPO Hog on March 25, 2010, 08:11:40 am
My 11 YO daughter was diagnosed with ADD, we start meds this weekend. During testing she was off the charts in most areas until she was given time limits to complete task. In most areas she would test out at HS or even adult level without time limit, and 3rd grade level with time limit. Her IQ tested out at 116, but the doc said it was misleading due to the time limit issue. She can be given the exact same math homework 2 nights in a row and it's just as hard the second night as the first - bedtime is the time limit. Saturday mornings school work is much easier for her - no time limit. I really don't know what expectations to have for the effect the meds will have. Can anyone here give me tips on what to expect and what to look out for?

I think the best advice has already been given. Be patient with it. Make sure the school is taking every step they HAVE TO, by law, to make sure your child is given every opportunity. Schools are given Federal money for programs to help with children that are special needs (I don't say that to be demeaning, but that is what it is). If you don't feel they are doing the necessary things for the children that are special needs. They could lose those fundings if they're found not be using them properly.

We had a problem last year with our son. It didn't get to the point of threatening them, but I think they got the jest of what we were talking about. We haven't had another problem. In fact, it has been better.

As far as the meds. Depending on which one it is it could affect appetite, so keep a close eye on that. 

CPO Hog

Thanks 33, she's an A/B student so I really haven't looked at it in the terms of "special needs". It is what it is though. I will be visiting with her teacher today and discussing her future education path.

thirtythree

Quote from: CPO Hog on March 25, 2010, 08:42:20 am
Thanks 33, she's an A/B student so I really haven't looked at it in the terms of "special needs". It is what it is though. I will be visiting with her teacher today and discussing her future education path.

Best of luck. Don't cut them any slack.

igoham

Quote from: CPO Hog on March 25, 2010, 08:11:40 am
I really don't know what expectations to have for the effect the meds will have. Can anyone here give me tips on what to expect and what to look out for?

My ADD meds make me knock out assignments timely in one setting. The meds should help keep time limits from being a factor.

hogballer05

the kid got interviewed and said he studied all the teams before he picked them. also i heard that he did not make it on espn so there is no cash reward for his picks. and on espn i think the leader had all but four or five games right in the two rounds. granted it shouldnt matter about the money because this kid is amazing!